Repeat Tunes Played Venues

I went to my first weekender last November - big mistake!! I left early - bout 6.30 on the Sunday after I'd heard Lorraine Chandler for the 6th time since Friday nite - don't mind the track but I wish these DJ's would show some imagination!!!

Edited by gointoagogo
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

There was an old thread (that i can't find now about dj's) in which i stated that often when you were hearing the same record played a couple of times a night it was due to dj's that knew that they were on a late spot so didn't turn up early to hear what had already been played. If i am doing a spot (no matter what time it is at) i always arrive at opening time to hear what is being played and judge the floors re-action to the records that are being played.

Unless you are talking about the same dj playing the same record more than once in a night which i have heard before?.

Social source share

not heard it much at soul nites...allnighters? yes normally as has been said by djs turning up late which isnt on....weekenders with various arenas i suppose its gonna happen...frank wilson and alfie davidson at scooter rallies normally about 5 times over the weekend!..

cant remember the tune..but can remember a dj saying 'when was the last time you heard this?'..looked to my side and me and a stranger both smiled and said at the same time about 3/4 hour ago! :-)

sam played a record twice at vava voom alnighter NYE which was our fault and he did admit it on the mic and said he wasnt losing it..as normal nicci requested the tune but was stuck at the bar being served so couldnt dance...but as the tune was tommy dents soul thang i dont think anybody complained..we certainly didnt!

dean

Edited by spacehopper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

oldies nights...oldies dj,s....oldies attitude.....get there just before my set.....go home just after......what goes before me, l ain,t listening and even if l was (which l ain,t) who cares?....what goes after....l ain,t listening......coz i,ve gone.....anyway who cares.....you,ve paid ya £10....stop moaning

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

totally agree, always say I'll do it but never get round to it, lol, too much else to play russ.

If its a 'hot' record for ya, play it twice in the set, once at the beginning, once at the end, that way makes people more familiar with the sound & breaks quicker, if its an oldie, once in a night is more than enough.....

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

which venue would that be,I do try to get around derby,burton ,sheffield ,eggbrough rittz doncaster .chesterfield,mansfield.

Theres your problem Richo , same people going to the same venues to listen to the same records spun by the same DJ's

• Helpful 3
Social source share

If its a 'hot' record for ya, play it twice in the set, once at the beginning, once at the end, that way makes people more familiar with the sound & breaks quicker, if its an oldie, once in a night is more than enough.....

Best Russ

PLAY IT TWICE OR MAYBE THREE TIMES ............HOLLY ST . JAMES /  CHRISTINE COOPER  where .........the BIGGEST allniter in the world silly .

Social source share

I'm not trying to stir anything up , that's what I heard in the main room , just thought to myself WHY ? With a ballroom rammed with people records like THE STARTONES billie fran , MAGNIFICENT 7 eastern , JOHNNY DYNAMITE minaret etc ...... Never get played there's loads of em' OLDIES in my head .

Love Carl .

Apologies Carl, thought you were at it...lol & BTW agree....

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

well l go to a club where loads of underplayed oldies get played  (only once though)....that you never hear anywhere else

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

PLAY IT TWICE OR MAYBE THREE TIMES ............HOLLY ST . JAMES /  CHRISTINE COOPER  where .........the BIGGEST allniter in the world silly .

Really  what do you expect....... :wink:  :)

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I used to go to a place in the 80s where it was common for some DJs to play a tune over and over until everyone bloody well danced to it. What was it called again...? :g:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Surely theres the element  of actually enjoying the night.....thouught these dj.s loved the music?  perhaps got that one wrong.....went to lifeline.....john manship did just as has been mentioned....arrived 10 mins before  and left straight after.....his set was below par as well just played his auction stuff...ummmm :wink:

Social source share

I went a place a couple of months ago and the top well know  dj played his 3 opening tracks which had been played in the last spot

Same thing happened to me at a niter recently - a well known DJ played three tunes which had been played in the previous hour...I mentioned it to the promoter and he was already aware, in fact told me that one of the other jocks had administered said offender a right bo**ocking :yes:

Social source share

True Des, but most of them have many "trophy pieces" - a little more listening would help...however there are several people who, if you look, and who freely admit, spend at least the hour before their spot , if not most of the night, watching floor reactions and listening carefully - Sean Chapman and Nige Brown to name but two...and yes, I've been caught out as well, nipping out for a fag break before my spot and then repeating a tune. So I'm blaming it on the smoking ban!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

can add kenny burrell to sean and nige...when he was still playing a few years back at cheltenham he was there before doors opened all the way from scotland for that exact reason

can remember a few years back at kings hall and the sales boxes were to far from the main hall for sean to hear and he wasnt on first id have to try remember what had been played and report back to sean so he could put them to the back of his box to be sure not to replay

back then it was marvin gayes starved heart that was played four times a night...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

oldies nights...oldies dj,s....oldies attitude.....get there just before my set.....go home just after......what goes before me, l ain,t listening and even if l was (which l ain,t) who cares?....what goes after....l ain,t listening......coz i,ve gone.....anyway who cares.....you,ve paid ya £10....stop moaning

Fookin hell Tezza, if anyone sounds like a broken record??

Edited by hootenannie
Social source share

all to the detriment of the scene I'm afraid Des. Sod the punters I've got my ego to satisfy attitude.

one of the problems is that now that some of these "holy grail" tunes are £1,000's and £1,000's and there's a certain amount of "bragging rights" that go with ownership of these tunes, the owners are determined to get them into their sets, regardless of whether they've been played or not.

Des

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I used to go to a place in the 80s where it was common for some DJs to play a tune over and over until everyone bloody well danced to it. What was it called again...? :g:

Was it usually preempted by a few words of anglo saxon uttered in a celtic brogue?

I have found it to be a lot better than in the past. Or maybe I care less?

At a nite playing new upfront sounds it should be expected to hear the new 'biggie' a couple of times. Unless Ady turns up another few dozen RCA sounds, the top quality new sounds are going to be fewer in number than in the 70s and 80s. At an oldies night I guess its less understandable. but then again some oldies recieve a 2nd moment in vogue, so they might be heard a couple of times.

Not the end of the day for a night really.  I did once hear a guy on Oxford Street, moan that he'd come the month before and Butch played virtually the exact same spot. I guess you cant please all of the people, any of the time :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

On this topic. One night at Stafford Guy was late for his spot. Keb stepped in and played about 3 tunes that he had, that he knew Guy would play. Chaumonts, plus 2 others.

Guy arrived. Started off his spot with something like - 70 minutes from Peterboro. not bad. My hands are shaking like buggery. Here's the Chaumonts.

:D  :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Fookin hell Tezza, if anyone sounds like a broken record??

hey  oop mate.....you did ask if i,d make mention,  am l lying ?......let me know if i,ve got that wrong? :)  :thumbsup: .....folk moan about it all thr time ,but never want to say anything.....if it,s o.k  then nothing to get het up about :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

well l go to a club where loads of underplayed oldies get played  (only once though)....that you never hear anywhere else

Yup - Lets here it for 'Soul in the Bowl' aye Terry?! :rofl:  :lol:

......that is where you meant isn't it mate? :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

well here goes!!!!!!!!!! i think a few dj feel it is there god given right to arrive 5 mins before there set to be honest they dont give a f**k they think they own the joint charge top whack as well . i went a place a couple of months ago and the top well know  dj played his 3 opening tracks which had been played in the last spot i told him this and his reply was they wont remember it never fased him wasnt botherd after all he was still gonna get his money so hey ho off you go. sorry to be a moaning old git but i dont give a s**T enoughs enough why should the paying punters put up with it come on you know who you are get there early and lisern please ....... sorry to rant but you asked lol :thumbup:  

Does this really happen that often? I've often said I think it's 'Northern Soul Folk Law' - Serious question (In a friendly way) :D

I suppose it would a bit 'much' to name where / who / when etc - I've never seen it happen, I must be going to different places.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Actually, I’ve just remembered something - A while back I was at ‘an event’ where a well-known D.J was explaining to me (all matter of fact like)......“If ‘so and so’ is here I know he’s gonna play ‘this and that’, so I won’t play them, but I’ll play ‘this’ instead"

I remember thinking Jesus, if things are that predictable, why D.J? - It certainly wouldn’t interest me. At least he was paying attention, and determined not to do the repeat thing I suppose.

As you can see, I’m not one to ‘name names’ etc - I’ll leave that to the older boys :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Also, although £8,000 plus may get you an Eddie Parker, it's not an "exclusive". I don't condone the repeat plays, but I know why these high ticket tunes get played twice, if people have paid a ridiculous amount for them - It ain't right, but that's what happens, unfortunately.

Des

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its not really on duplicating obvious oldies in the same night... Show some respect to the crowd and promoter and get there early.If you get there late ask the previous djto flick through the records he played and make a mental note and cross your fingers.Last year I heard the Montclairs Hey You twice on the same night...someone wasn't listening.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Maybe that could be seen as respect to another dj who is on before you/them.Certainly a forward thinking dj ,on the night,would avoid repeats if he paid more attention as to else was djing.One way is to have an an idea on who plays what.

Actually, I’ve just remembered something - A while back I was at ‘an event’ where a well-known D.J was explaining to me (all matter of fact like)......“If ‘so and so’ is here I know he’s gonna play ‘this and that’, so I won’t play them, but I’ll play ‘this’ instead"

I remember thinking Jesus, if things are that predictable, why D.J? - It certainly wouldn’t interest me. At least he was paying attention, and determined not to do the repeat thing I suppose.

As you can see, I’m not one to ‘name names’ etc - I’ll leave that to the older boys :D

All the best,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!