Best Version Of Did My Baby Call

With the Professionals on ebay at present I have been wondering who likes which version the best.

1.Steve Mancha - Did My Baby Call (Wheelsville 102) 1965

2.Professionals - Did My Baby Call (Groove City 101) 1967

3.The Mad Lads - Did My Baby Call (Volt 4080) 1972

4. Or the latest unissued release Joey Kingfish - Did My Baby Call (Sonic Wax 013)

What do you think or has the Question been asked before?

Kirsty

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Steve Walls would kill me for this but as much as I am a Mancha fan, the Mad Lads have it here. Two very different versions but Mancha's is a bit dirgey for the hefty price tag, let's face it, the £20 option is the preferred one IMO and its not just inverse snobbery because of the cost either.Enter all Detroit die hards now (used to be one myself)

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

With the Professionals on ebay at present I have been wondering who likes which version the best.

4. Or the latest unissued release Joey Kingfish - Did My Baby Call (Sonic Wax 013)

Kirsty

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

Steve Wallls would kill me for this but as much as I am a Mancha fan, the Mad Lads have it here. Two very different versions but Mancha's is a bit dirgey for the hefty price tag, let's face it, the £20 option is the preferred one IMO and its not just inverse snobbery because of the cost either.Enter all Detroit die hards now (used to be one myself)

He most certainly would

For all that prefer the Mad Lads, I will gladly buy the Steve Mancha from you if you have it

Jim

Social source share

Got to be the professionals for me too, if only for the fact, it's the only version i've got..not really listened to the other three versions too much, so not qualified to comment on them really

dont forget we used to have the mad lads version in the 90`s.shows how much you played it bri lol.....its a decent if not a bit lame version

Social source share

Steve Mancha by a country mile. Mad Lads is a nice group record though. Steve Mancha is one of the finest Detroit soul records.

The Professionals is unconvincing and yet again ('cause we've debated it for years on here) I question whether this is Steve Mancha on lead as mentioned above.

Mancha had a highly distinctive voice and this sounds nothing like him to my ears.

Social source share

Mad Lads by a nautical mile

John Gary Williams lead, falsetto harmony, psychedelic arrangement > stereotypical detroit lead, stereotypical detroit backing arrangement, very weak backing group that has some guys and some girls come in at some points. Mancha is a great detroit record but there's no comparison. I actually was super psyched to finally get the Mancha 45 for $400, then I opened up the package, and played it, and was "eh" compared to the Mad Lads.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

now you're trying to get me kicked off soul source entirely... 

not at all bob.. we cant all be passionate about the same records can we. that would be impossible.

i am of course just having a bit of fun

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Kirsty

Definately The Professionals.Best vocal performance and overall powerful feel.Not influence by so-called rarity nor dealer inflated prices.Just in the grooves.

Why is this being talked about now?This was over and done with by the mid 7Ts.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Steve Mancha by a country mile. Mad Lads is a nice group record though. Steve Mancha is one of the finest Detroit soul records.

The Professionals is unconvincing and yet again ('cause we've debated it for years on here) I question whether this is Steve Mancha on lead as mentioned above.

Mancha had a highly distinctive voice and this sounds nothing like him to my ears.

I agree with this.  I think The Professionals' lead is NOT Steve Mancha.

Social source share

Steve wasn't lead singer with The Professionals, if he was, he wasn't on their only single.  Ask Chalky.

Pete you're not getting him mixed up with the time Hitsville Chalky brought him over and he fronted the Fabulous Peps are you? Chalky say's he was definitely  lead singer with the Professionals and brought him over a second time to do a few dates as the Professionals lead singer.

Social source share

Pete you're not getting him mixed up with the time Hitsville Chalky brought him over and he fronted the Fabulous Peps are you? Chalky say's he was definitely  lead singer with the Professionals and brought him over a second time to do a few dates as the Professionals lead singer.

Not what he told me 2 months ago!  Said he was just a backing singer on it.

Social source share

Not what he told me 2 months ago!  Said he was just a backing singer on it.

Just spoke with him Pete he said that Steve Calloway took lead on the record but another band member took lead on the Acetate he had of the other version with a different title I think it was called "I really love my girl/baby" something like that anyway!!

Social source share

Steve Calloway was mainly the lead singer with group  ..  there were four takes of  it ..  at first going to be titled " I really Love My Baby "

when i kept playing him the track steve was not 100 %  that it was his vocals on the issue (  he never seen the 45 until here in the uk although people in Detroit was telling him they have a 45 out ). as he mainly remembers doing the backing tracks although  he said he sounded very much the same as swigle  , the group was mainly  dance act  .  steve states the b side is not the professionals ...  and very much sounded like steve mancha .. early take where also i've heard the same story in Detroit  ..when i was at joe kingfishers place i played him  his version which he said it was him ...   yet again its over 40yrs and sometimes they forget and get mixed up  it happend also when I ws with Yvonne Vernee she swear black and blue my love for your love ..The Elgins was not her ..until i played her the track which she totally forgot about . Did my baby call is a great track regardless which version .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve Calloway was mainly the lead singer with group  ..  there were four takes of  it ..  at first going to be titled " I really Love My Baby "

when i kept playing him the track steve was not 100 %  that it was his vocals on the issue (  he never seen the 45 until here in the uk although people in Detroit was telling him they have a 45 out ). as he mainly remembers doing the backing tracks although  he said he sounded very much the same as swigle  , the group was mainly  dance act  .  steve states the b side is not the professionals ...  and very much sounded like steve mancha .. early take where also i've heard the same story in Detroit  ..when i was at joe kingfishers place i played him  his version which he said it was him ...   yet again its over 40yrs and sometimes they forget and get mixed up  it happend also when I ws with Yvonne Vernee she swear black and blue my love for your love ..The Elgins was not her ..until i played her the track which she totally forgot about . Did my baby call is a great track regardless which version .

It is a great track whichever versions takes your fancy!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert