Willie Mitchell The Champion Help

Guest Voodoo

Hi , wondering if anyone can help with this record...tried to do some research of my own to find out if it is an original..not much luck. Here is a photo. Thanks

post-29708-0-70433000-1362049217_thumb.j

Social source share

Hi , wondering if anyone can help with this record...tried to do some research of my own to find out if it is an original..not much luck. Here is a photo. Thanks

It was originally played off an LP.

It was never issued on a single in the States.

The one above is the UK issue which came out on

the back of Northern scene demand for it.

So yes its a UK original copy, whether it came out in other

countries as a 45 I dont know.

Kegsy

Social source share

It was originally played off an LP.

It was never issued on a single in the States.

The one above is the UK issue which came out on

the back of Northern scene demand for it.

So yes its a UK original copy, whether it came out in other

countries as a 45 I dont know.

Kegsy

Snap!

Social source share

There's a South African 7" which we all keep arguing about as to if it's a 1966 or a 1976 release. Also it came out in Europe in various countries in 1976.

I had a south african one, sure it was a 1966 release, it had a 60s company sleeve on it anyway!

Social source share

Certainly looks 60s..................

post-4408-0-72235900-1362053606_thumb.jp

Yes it does, but the typeface doesn't look right, especially the info on the right hand side. I just don't know about this, when did they stop doing tri centres, anyone? And why would the only release in the world of The Champion on a 45 in 1965/66 be in the extremely limited market of South Africa?

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

That's exactly the same as mine! Could just be an old sleeve I suppose, anyone checked when any of those LPs were released?

Social source share

yep..thats my copy..which i found in Joburg some years ago..i think on the flip of the sleeve it advertises 8 track tapes..so i think its a 60's release..also the owner of the warehouse said he cleared a record shop of all its stock ..and i thought this was mid 70's..

Social source share

yep..thats my copy..which i found in Joburg some years ago..i think on the flip of the sleeve it advertises 8 track tapes..so i think its a 60's release..also the owner of the warehouse said he cleared a record shop of all its stock ..and i thought this was mid 70's..

when i found the champion..it was in a bunch of other sixties soul..mainly Atlantic..some Tamla..all in original sleeves..the owner was surprised to see them..he didnt know he had them..did take me 4 days of diggin however...

Social source share

post-1823-0-32460800-1362056874_thumb.jp

This is a couple of numbers before the Willie Mitchell. It's down as a 1967 release and the site linked below says it's 1967 too. I don't think this got a USA Hi release either.

Info on this site too https://www.45cat.com/label/london-za

Lara`s Theme(Dr.Zhivago)-film released in 1965,so that seems late to bring that one out?

Well in that case, I'm sticking with my original 'i think it's a 60s release' theory!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

That's exactly the same as mine! Could just be an old sleeve I suppose, anyone checked when any of those LPs were released?

Yes, in the last thread in which this 45 featured! I had a dig around of the various titles on the sleeve at that time and came to the conclusion that they were 60s releases. I also pointed out that Lara's theme came from Dr Zhivago as has been pointed out here once again. I do wish you guys would pay a bit more attention! :lol:

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

I put up a thread on here about mini / little LP's last year.

On that thread, I posted various ads for these 7" jukebox records. Amongst them was this ad for London Label 'Little LP's' that was in the music / jukebox mags back in 1968 .......

Amongst the releases available back then was the Willie Mitchell one that contained "the Champion".

The outfits who pressed these records up & marketed them to jukebox renters seemed to do a number all at once, so the dates when the mini LP's became available didn't often tie in with the date the full LP had been released ............

post-22122-0-14538900-1362069315_thumb.j

Social source share

Doing a further bit of digging, it would appear that the issue ref numbers on the sleeve refer to mono releases. Stereo releases began with an S - so SGALP1442, for example. Looking at a partial discography of the label that I found in Afrikaans, stereo releases replaced mono in 1969. At the very least it nigh on confirms that the sleeve is from the 60s! :lol:

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

US 7" EP that plays at 331/3 rpm..

Not an EP but marketed purely for jukebox use .... hence it had to be a 7" and was designated as a 'Little LP' (some companies called them mini LP's).

The evolution of these records is dealt with in some depth on the earlier thread (7" LP's).

If you started talking about EP's with a US record collector, he would struggle to understand what you were on about. It was only in the UK, France & Europe that EP was a term that was in common useage.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Not an EP but marketed purely for jukebox use .... hence it had to be a 7" and was designated as a 'Little LP' (some companies called them mini LP's).

The evolution of these records is dealt with in some depth on the earlier thread (7" LP's).

If you started talking about EP's with a US record collector, he would struggle to understand what you were on about. It was only in the UK, France & Europe that EP was a term that was in common useage.

Thanks for the info,but as i live in the Uk i call it a 7" EP then,but if i move to the US i`ll call it a 7" mini/little Lp......... :thumbsup::)

Dave f.........

Social source share

..despite being the first uk release....i would say not original as has been said its been released previous on mini lp..well 7" ep in the u.s

by that logic the South African release is the "original" on a 45 if released in 1966, as the Mini LP was released in 1968 in USA (i think) :) Ah the joys of record collecting!

How much does a copy of the Mini LP go for these days?

Edited by jim g
Social source share

:) ....ha ha maybe...but personally i dont go so far as say local or nationa lu.s release,to me theyre both originals..or (im not a uk expert) but oriole or stateside?..both would be fine to me as they were both 60s releases...its the ones that were released in the early 70s etc that are reissues to me like these uk ones or the multi couloured ann sexton mentioned in another thread...to me legit reissue

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

by that logic the South African release is the "original" on a 45 if released in 1966, as the Mini LP was released in 1968 in USA (i think) :) Ah the joys of record collecting!

How much does a copy of the Mini LP go for these days?

Yeah but the proper LP was released in 66

Social source share

Blue label / red label - why?

I think South Africa used a variety of colours for their labels for no reason at all. I had a copy of "She'd Rather Be Whit Me (sic)" by The Turtles, with a black London label - otherwise exactly the same typeface as the Willie Mitchell and Ace Cannon singles above. Would have all been released within a couple of months of each other.

Or (and on a very serious note), do you think the colour coding was required in a time of apartheid (eg, black or blue specifying white artists, and red specifying a black artist)?

Social source share

I think South Africa used a variety of colours for their labels for no reason at all. I had a copy of "She'd Rather Be Whit Me (sic)" by The Turtles, with a black London label - otherwise exactly the same typeface as the Willie Mitchell and Ace Cannon singles above. Would have all been released within a couple of months of each other.

Or (and on a very serious note), do you think the colour coding was required in a time of apartheid (eg, black or blue specifying white artists, and red specifying a black artist)?

Good theory but I doubt LOndon SA wouldn't have had that much info - and what if it was a mixed group?

Social source share

Not true - in fact, complete utter rubbish. The term EP has long been in use amongst USA collectors and record buyers, and even pre-dates the UK and (probably) Europe's first EPs. The earliest US EP I've seen dates back to 1952 (they replaced the boxed sets of 45s and 78s), as opposed to the UK's first EPs from 1954 - and yes, I mean 4-track EPs which played at 45 RPM.

Every list I've had from the States over 20 years list them as EPs.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Good theory but I doubt LOndon SA wouldn't have had that much info - and what if it was a mixed group?

Probably a white and yellow label, to signify that London didn't know if they were coming or going!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Could be a consideration. I recently read a blog post about music censorship and apartheid in South Africa. It makes for fascinating reading...

https://soulsafari.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/banned-beats-in-south-africa/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!