Is It Getting Too Dear To Buy Records From The Usa?

slimharpo

Particularly given the large increase in postage for the first 45 + the decline in the value of Sterling + I was charged £9 VAT on a package with a customs value of $30 + £8 Royal Mail handling fee. I used to get some very nice items for $5-$10 that I could sell on, but these charges are making it not really worth while to buy reasonably priced items that used to be cheaper to buy from the States, unless it is a must have for your own collection. It may still be worth it for a high value item bought cheaply obviously. Do other buyers have the same observations?

Social source share

Particularly given the large increase in postage for the first 45 + the decline in the value of Sterling + I was charged £9 VAT on a package with a customs value of $30 + £8 Royal Mail handling fee. I used to get some very nice items for $5-$10 that I could sell on, but these charges are making it not really worth while to buy reasonably priced items that used to be cheaper to buy from the States, unless it is a must have for your own collection. It may still be worth it for a high value item bought cheaply obviously. Do other buyers have the same observations?

yes

Social source share

I'll bet Messers Manship, Brady and Brown are rubbing their hands together.

Think of all the under £20 records that they are now going to be able to sell, as it will now be cheaper to get them from the UK than the US.

spot on joe...anything thats `available` with a £20 or below its not worth buying from the usa unless you can buy a few more from same seller

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep :(

Social source share

Looks like that's it then. I get 2 or 3 non Internet lists that I enjoy going through and usually bought something, not necessarily rare but quality and cheap. It seems that it will be a rare occurence now. Still one man's misfourtune. Joe is right, it will be a bonus for UK dealers which is not necessarily a bad thing is it?

Social source share

Two weeks ago I got stung for a £96 customs/PO/Admin charge and I decided then that I will not be buying any more 45's from US. Consequently these new postal charges won't affect me. It will probably mean that I'll miss out on some of my wants items but hey ho it's only a record after all

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There is a big difference in what different US sellers seem to be charging when adjusting to the new postage charges. I guess after a while market forces will make them settle down to a similar standard amount.

Agreed that at the moment £10+ for shipping makes it not worthwhile and I have left a few things over the last couple of weeks.

The thing that really pissed me off was sellers charging the higher postage rates when the new postage charges kicked in, even though the items were advertised and purchased before the rise :dash2:Wait till I get to leave feedback the bast*rds :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

And with the pound falling against the dollar it is getting more expensive

With the UK's downgrade over the weekend cable's at its lowest levels since June 2010 adding more pain to UK buyers. I often wonder how much of eBay flow comes to the UK/Europe and how much these postal changes will actually affect US sellers?

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Got hit again last week with a silly customs charge, although I have had success in challenging these on a case-by-case basis but it's time consuming. Agree with above regarding thinking twice when buying $9-$25 records, just not worth it. Although that could do me a favour I've got too many small-ticket records.

This was a first though, went into account this mornign to pay for last night "wins" to see one seller had added customs charges to invoice.

Postage:

US $17.95 (approx. £11.76) International Priority Shippingto United Kingdom

This amount includes seller specified US postage charges as well as applicable international P&P, dispatch, and other fees. This amount is subject to change until you make payment.

Import charges:

US $15.87 (estimated and based on current bid) To be provided at checkout

This amount includes applicable customs duties, taxes, brokerage and other fees. This amount is subject to change until you make payment. For additional information, see the Global Postage Programme terms and conditions

Social source share

Some US sellers are cheesed off about the price rise. One example recently was I'd bought a cheap 45 from the USA just before the postal cost increase, when they came to post it, a day or 2 later, the cost had risen from what I paid. The seller posted the 45 but then got back in touch asking me to pay the difference as it would leave him out of pocket. I sympathised but politely refused as I had no control over when he posted the thing. This was $6.50 s&h originally so the guy had had to find an extra $6.25 postage on my 45 and on however many more he was posting internationally that day.

Social source share

As a US seller, I'm more than cheesed about the postage increase. It's absolutely cratered my sales. I do have shedloads of $10-$20 45s, with some higher. I've been running 50% off or best offer this month, and sales have been barely a blip. Nobody is going to buy 45s that will cost them more in postage than the cost of the item.

I've added 300+ new titles in the last 6 weeks and have 10 more 160-count boxes I will hold off on listing any more and will continue to run a sale through the end of March and see the results.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to dig in boxes and am finding some real gems.

Social source share

Guest Martin P

I'd not brought on ebay for a while, untill recently, I couldn't believe how much the sellers are charging std shipping on each 45 was between $12 and $15 .. Whats all that about.. Complete rip off. :glare:

Social source share

@Martin P. - unfortunately, the cost of postage went up dramatically on 27 January, especially at the single 45 rate. It really costs $12-$15 to send one 45 these days from the States to overseas. I wish I had control over it, but I'm not the US Post Office.

An LP is $19 or $20. Gonna be a lot of £10, £15 lps ignored now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest tommymac

just had one of the lovely customs payment charges thats my first but its gonna be my last. deliberately bought 4 records to save on postage costs but after been hit by customs i might as well have bought in the uk buying in the usa is out for me now

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Agree, done by customs on a $25 record, cost me £45 in end - customs + £8 'handling fee' the irony being that when I got to the post office they couldn't let me collect it as couldn't take my money cos the till was broken - so eight quid to not handle it FS!

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

If the postage is too high on ebay - leave it.Move on.Forget it.I do it.I also avoid sales from certain countries.

As for customs charges,are'nt the USA sellers capable of declaring the record cheaper?

Is it illegal to stick 5$ value on the ticket when the record is worth 10x's that?

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

If the postage is too high on ebay - leave it.Move on.Forget it.I do it.I also avoid sales from certain countries.

As for customs charges,are'nt the USA sellers capable of declaring the record cheaper?

Is it illegal to stick 5$ value on the ticket when the record is worth 10x's that?

I've found it hard to get most usa dealers to "Garnish the price declaration" they seem a bit paranoid regarding the authority's.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I've stopped buying from American lables ect as bulk buying ment me having to go all the way over to Nottingham to pick the parcels up and paying import duty ect it's just not worth it any longer.

Social source share

The thing is with putting a lower price on the customs slip is, if it truly gets lost in transit the seller can't claim the selling price and can only claim from the postal service what they've declared as the value on the slip

Not true. You can use a copy of the paypal receipt or ebay finished listing as evidence in the event of a claim/

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just a couple of thoughts - if the US sender states that it is a used 45, does it still attract as high a customs fee? Tonight I'd love to bid on a Dorothy Prince 45 from my wants list for $10 but the seller in Oklahoma is asking $15 postage and he won't drop below that so I've left it. I blame Lance Armstrong for the US postal hike, they've got to get their millions back somehow.

Social source share

One US seller said that he decided what figure to put on the value label on the packet. When i queried it he said "Just because you crazy english want to bid this record up to 200 dollars doesn't mean that's what it's worth. I paid 50 cents for that 45, so in my opinion it's worth 50 cents, so I'll declare 50 cents".

I suppose he's correct, the price somebody pays doesn't in itself make an item worth that value, if you offered a starving man a loaf of bread or a copy of Eddie Parker etc., or you could offer me the pick of the current big ticket funk records and a mars bar, and I'd take the mars bar and I don't even like mars bars ;-) and surely this is proven when you ask ten collectors who all own a copy of, for example, The Precisions " Such Misery" how much they think it's worth I'll bet they don't all answer with the same exact price, so to put "value" on something is purely up to each individual, but I bet the authorities don't see it like that !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've found it hard to get most usa dealers to "Garnish the price declaration" they seem a bit paranoid regarding the authority's.

Never bothered me, I'm not in the business of giving that C a***hole and his crowd more money to piss away I put $5 /7/10 on it depending

how I feel. and if the buyer asks me to, HOW he asks me to. Some are bloody demanding. As to claiming the money if it's lost. If it's registered you get $46 international and minimal bloodshed,but it never gets lost then. If it's not I'm to old to go through all that just so my kids will get a few $.

As to HMC&E, if you send it in a nice professional mailer all nice and pretty it screams " Professional seller & buyer" - bang em the max!!

If you do a fairly sloppy ( but solid) hand made mailer ( takes about 10 mins) change the senders name to Mrs Ethel McGinty . Then do your best ever so wobbly joined up sig and viola a pressy from Auntie Ethel and most get through without charges. Ones with the EB printed postage label too, funnily enough, even though you can't put it as a gift. At least those that reply as I ask to let me know.

Some people admittedly when they're doing a production line don't have the time to do that, and I have had people moan that the package didn't look very nice but you can't win them all.

And yes I've been killed by those robbin B********ds at USPS.

Social source share

following on from yesterdays performance with a usa seller i told them in no uncertain terms NOT to put the full value on the packet as not only will i get hammered in tax its an advertisment to steal said package,,,,,they said they never thought of it like that and have a greed to put $30 on it now rather than 500.....ive still paid registered post tho

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Further to my initial posting, I have just received a package today of 37 records with a value of $37. I had a customs demand for £4.37 which is half what I had to pay for a package with a $30 value! I expect they are just making rough guesses on what to charge now as they have had no real previous experience. Maybe the office junior is the one given the responsibility by the HMRC to 'cut his teeth' on ripping off Joe Public.

Social source share

I recently won a record for $1500.

Just tracked where it is and, yes. It's held by Royal Mail for customs charges.

I dread to think what the fook they will be :(

About £300 I reckon Phil :-(

Social source share

I was pleasantly surprised today when a 45 arrived from the US and amazed to see zero import charges...just the post. It wasn't a particularly cheap one so I wasn't sure what would happen with it to be honest. Does it depend on what the seller scribbles on the parcel in terms of value? If that's the case then thumbs up to this seller as he put something like $4 from what I could make out!

It's nice to get the odd domestic delivery but there is something about getting one from the postie with coloured stamps and things hey, knowing it probably hasn't yet travelled over the pond or wherever. Parcels from Japan take some beating In terms of excitement I think and actually make the post cost worth it once in a while, for me anyway! I'm actually now dedicating a record box with lock and key just for my favourite looking parcels I want to keep. Sad!

Social source share

Just over $900 record through eBay cost me £157 in customs and handling etc. and now with the increased postal charges its not just about the extra cost of postage in USA to here that's going to make a difference, the biggest issue now is Royal Mail and customs as you have to allow to be stung by them and that and increased charges has put me right off buying from the states, not even looked on eBay for about 2 weeks now, used to spend couple of hours a day looking for tunes but no more .....

Social source share

How are the Yanks justifying such Major increases , just watch the bloody royal mail will follow suit !! Paul

They say they're broke and "going out of business"- no kidding.

They barely made or came short on various payments in the last year or two.

https://badmoneyadvice.com/2012/05/is-the-usps-going-out-of-business.html

https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/15/us-postal-service-ruin-congress-warning

Roughly stated but near enough.

I'm assuming the RM is probably in the same state.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!