Allanton/ Shotts Allnighters Tunes

Dennisoul

Jim O'Hara is writing some words about the Ruff Cutt bunch. The plan is to do an article with him about the nighter with top 20's/30's from the DJ's and I will hopefully doing podcasts of each DJ...that is the plan hopefully. Give the club the recognition it is due. Great nighter, no bollocks just a room full of loons having a great time!

Guy's coach's, more like a holiday the time it took :lol: Dean Anderson's mini bus.....car trips with Celtic, what happened to him?

I will be in touch Andy and Jock.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Jim O'Hara is writing some words about the Ruff Cutt bunch. The plan is to do an article with him about the nighter with top 20's/30's from the DJ's and I will hopefully doing podcasts of each DJ...that is the plan hopefully. Give the club the recognition it is due. Great nighter, no bollocks just a room full of loons having a great time!

Guy's coach's, more like a holiday the time it took :lol: Dean Anderson's mini bus.....car trips with Celtic, what happened to him?

great stuff Chalky....that would make tremendous listening indeed

Social source share

Chalky

Could not have put it better myself

Just a room full of loons have a great time

Fucking awesome it was and Well done andy for starting this thread

God the records that were really "made" at Allanton is astounding

f*ck I bet I'm not the only one who wished they could just wiz that clock back for just 1 more night - 1 more that's all

And get some of that great gear that was on the go at the time too - just to top it all off

Oh and one more thing - sorry 2 more things

Someone to run the night for me, sou can enjoy it a bit more

And someone to keep ozzy in a cupboard with his vacuum - for those that don't remember there was a night when I went a bit mental at him as he was running around hoovering the floor !!!!

Funny now though!!!

Getting all welled up I am- a big fuckin softy at heart

The best days of my life, and for everyone that contributes to these Allanton posts ( i cant name everyone!!!) a massive thank you for making it what it was - fuckin awesome

I think it will live in everyone's memory who went as one of the best all round nighters there was

Thanks all - now where's this hankies!!!

Jim

Chalky - I promis I will get the article done mate!!!!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Andrew, nostalgia is contagious young man. And enough about other DJ's lets talk about me..... or okay maybe not, maybe about the people behind the DJ's. Most of us were lucky to be getting records tipped on a weekly basis, some have gone on to be, some to be claimed by radio jocks as their's many years later, one of the finders of records was the promoter himself, Mr O'Hara, in between looking good for the ladies and ordering the people in the tea bar around he did have an ear for a tune too.

He tipped me these two and a couple of Allanton legends were born....

Mandrill Too Late, - played so much my cue burn lasts about 7 seconds

Isley Brothers - My Love , now a crossover classic, then it was a nighter floor filler, the tempo terrorists were away on their training camps

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

And of course the Sassenachs, they had a tip or two, none more so then the Betached Andy Whitmore (although we now know Suzanne was the real brains behind the organisation) These were 3 of the best among the 100's he tipped all that time ago, he charged me between £8 and £12 for these 3, (tight git) and all went on to gain some levels of popularity at that little miners hut in the back of beyond. Long before the tent boys appeared to claim them as their own...

Bernard Smith - Never Gonna Let You Go

https://youtu.be/Ks7cCe7RMKQ

Patti Ward - You Have To Wait For Love

https://youtu.be/0GLknx8r-dE

Masterpiece - Love Affair, this struggled but I persevered..

Right time, right place, right people, and the only dickheads were us, the right sort of dickheads,,,,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Right one more before I go off to remind my dear old mum of the time I took a whole mini bus back from Allanton to my old flat that was getting done up so only had one socket in use, so we had to alternate between kettle and tape player, people went thirsty as you would imagine. My new neighbors got a glimpse of what was to come.

And one of the biggest influences on me then musically was Dave Molloy, supplied me with numerous tapes and lots of tracks to play including this one, which I had almost forgotten about till Jim reminded me off the recent Kent CD, full dance floor at 7.30 to this. Can you imagine now?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks james for the comments ( not the dickhead ones though)

Only slight regret that I have 20 years on is that I probably should have did a spot

However

As you well know I didn't want it to end up being the same as every nighte in the land where the promotor was trying to promote himself and not the music

There were guys like you and andy and keith and colin etc. and all the rest who were collecting before I did and I wanted to tip my hat to that and let you lot do the business - which you did

Ayyway, I had enough to fucking do with police, front door, volumes, heating, coffee bar, ozzy.............

Brilliant days indeed we were all mad for it

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ozzy, though. Top top lad, hilarious, unpredictable, messy and a royal pain in the arse in all the right ways. Miss him, not just as a mate but the scene just doesn't seem the same without him setting fire to something :)

Social source share

Right one more before I go off to remind my dear old mum of the time I took a whole mini bus back from Allanton to my old flat that was getting done up so only had one socket in use, so we had to alternate between kettle and tape player, people went thirsty as you would imagine. My new neighbors got a glimpse of what was to come.

And one of the biggest influences on me then musically was Dave Molloy, supplied me with numerous tapes and lots of tracks to play including this one, which I had almost forgotten about till Jim reminded me off the recent Kent CD, full dance floor at 7.30 to this. Can you imagine now?

Your right jock, you just could not imagine it, and fair play to you sir for having the balls to play it!!!!

Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest mhairi

I loved Allanton. IMHO, best all-nighter ever. Well worth hitch-hiking every month from London! Thanks for sharing the records, very much appreciated

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mhairi

The plan is to do an article... and I will hopefully doing podcasts...

Articles and podcasts sound great! If you let me know where they can be found, I'll let soulies know about them on Facebook & other social media.

If you feel like featuring one of the punters, I used to hitch up there from London :-)

Social source share

Articles and podcasts sound great! If you let me know where they can be found, I'll let soulies know about them on Facebook & other social media.

If you feel like featuring one of the punters, I used to hitch up there from London :-)

The Article has been done, should be on the front page, Andy Whitmore did it in the end.  Might look at a podcast or two of Allanton records, punters choices of course.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!