Northern Soul Forever

Len

‘Northern Soul For Ever?’.......

I wonder.......

Do you remember those badges? I wore one and didn’t give it much thought at the time; whoever made them certainly had some vision! :D

This is an observation of the Scene, a cathartic exercise on my part, and now I’ve completed that cathartic exercise; I look at it all as a fascinating and positive story of a youth culture that just didn’t stop, but will it really last forever?......

We all know there are two separate Scenes - The Nostalgic side, which is actually a ‘splinter group’ from the original Scene, albeit a very big splinter! This part has the power of ‘The Northern Soul Trade Union’ behind it :D and it is very popular, not just with returnees, but also with people who are new to the Scene - no probs, it’s like any movement that separates because of different views, and no one can contest its popularity — Please don’t take what I have named as ‘The Splinter Group’ as offensive, it’s just my way of separating the two that’s all (I like both sides of the scene)

The Scene hasn’t been ‘nurtured’ over the years, and it’s only now that people are talking about attracting young people - unfortunately, it will be almost impossible to ‘bridge’ a three generation gap. It should have ‘shed it’s skin’ every ten years really, because each generation that joined would have bought something fresh, whether it be creative or just that ‘energy’ only youths have, thus keeping it developing with the times.

Look at The Mods - Three generations, all uniquely different to the other but the same Movement - 1960’s Mods, 1970’s/80’s Mods (Punk influence) 1980’s/90’s Mods (back to the very early original Mod ethos)

We now have DJ’s in their 70’s! Which is absolutely fantastic and a bit special, but alongside these greats, should be three generations of D.J’s which would of course, have influenced the clientele to match. The 100 Club seems to have addressed what I have described, that’s why I often hear people say “I don’t know anyone down there now”, which indicates it may live on there at least - Whether this be luck or judgement from the genius that is Ady Croasdell, only he can answer of course :D

Very early on in my time on the Scene I noticed D.Jing was pretty much a ‘closed shop’, which I fully understood - it was to keep the standards up, of which it did…..for 30 years….but who would have thought it would have gone on for so long? It happened so gradually no one stopped to think about it, and why would they have? It was literally like ageing. Most youth cultures come and go with one particular generation, the three generation Mods just ‘happened’ with not much ‘link’ between them, and a lot of the returnees to our Scene didn’t expect it to still be going for one moment.

But does it really matter? I’m not bothered about what the next lot of youths do, in fact I’d rather they had their own thing, rather than getting someone else’s completely wrong (especially ours) the only thing I do care about, is that such great music may one day get forgotten. “We need new blood”, well actually ‘we’ don’t, it’s the scene that needs it, if it were to carry on after we’re gone. Do do you care if the Scene carry’s on after you’ve finished with it? Or (like me) you just hope the music is listened to and appreciated by someone?

What are your thoughts?

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: a.k.a ‘The Thinker’ (allegedly)

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

‘Northern Soul For Ever?’.......

I wonder.......

Do you remember those badges? I wore one and didn’t give it much thought at the time; whoever made them certainly had some vision! ïŠ

This is an observation of the Scene, a cathartic exercise on my part, and now I’ve completed that cathartic exercise; I look at it all as a fascinating and positive story of a youth culture that just didn’t stop, but will it really last forever?......

We all know there are two separate Scenes - The Nostalgic side, which is actually a ‘splinter group’ from the original Scene, albeit a very big splinter! This part has the power of ‘The Northern Soul Trade Union’ behind it ïŠ and it is very popular, not just with returnees, but also with people who are new to the Scene - no probs, it’s like any movement that separates because of different views, and no one can contest its popularity — Please don’t take what I have named as ‘The Splinter Group’ as offensive, it’s just my way of separating the two that’s all (I like both sides of the scene)

The Scene hasn’t been ‘nurtured’ over the years, and it’s only now that people are talking about attracting young people - unfortunately, it will be almost impossible to ‘bridge’ a three generation gap. It should have ‘shed it’s skin’ every ten years really, because each generation that joined would have bought something fresh, whether it be creative or just that ‘energy’ only youths have, thus keeping it developing with the times.

Look at The Mods - Three generations, all uniquely different to the other but the same Movement - 1960’s Mods, 1970’s/80’s Mods (Punk influence) 1980’s/90’s Mods (back to the very early original Mod ethos)

We now have DJ’s in their 70’s! Which is absolutely fantastic and a bit special, but alongside these greats, should be three generations of D.J’s which would of course, have influenced the clientele to match. The 100 Club seems to have addressed what I have described, that’s why I often hear people say “I don’t know anyone down there now”, which indicates it may live on there at least - Whether this be luck or judgement from the genius that is Ady Croasdell, only he can answer of course ïŠ

Very early on in my time on the Scene I noticed D.Jing was pretty much a ‘closed shop’, which I fully understood - it was to keep the standards up, of which it did…..for 30 years….but who would have thought it would have gone on for so long? It happened so gradually no one stopped to think about it, and why would they have? It was literally like ageing.

Most youth cultures come and go with one particular generation, the three generation Mods just ‘happened’ with not much ‘link’ between them, and a lot of the returnees to our Scene didn’t expect it to still be going for one moment.

But does it really matter? I’m not bothered about what the next lot of youths do, in fact I’d rather they had their own thing, rather than getting someone else’s completely wrong (especially ours) the only thing I do care about, is that such great music may one day get forgotten.

“We need new blood”, well actually ‘we’ don’t, it’s the scene that needs it, if it were to carry on after we’re gone. But do you care if the Scene carry’s on after you’ve finished with it? Or (like me) you just hope the music is listened to and appreciated by someone?

What are your thoughts?

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: a.k.a ‘The Thinker’ (allegedly)

Len........get to bed mate :D

Social source share

Len........get to bed mate :D

Nice one Terry - Don't worry this isn't a case of 'Get some sleep mush' - I've been sitting on this one a while as I wasn't sure whether to bother posting (people taking things the wrong way etc)

I've been to bed - But appreciatte the kind advice mate, it's fully understood! - I just find writing easier to comunicate with you humans that's all :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

reading russells laudable comments I realised the answers brings you back the thorney chesnut of 'what is ns?' Great that you iniciated with the assursion that the oldies scene is in fact a splinter, but Russell asumes Northern soul has to be about 60's dance music, fair play, but I dont share that veiw, and if were talking about forever will it always have to be about the 6ts? or rather the very principle of rejecting the mainstream fodder and searching through the past, to uncover the forgotton, emotive, dance music of another generation?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

reading russells laudable comments I realised the answers brings you back the thorney chesnut of 'what is ns?' Great that you iniciated with the assursion that the oldies scene is in fact a splinter, but Russell asumes Northern soul has to be about 60's dance music, fair play, but I dont share that veiw, and if were talking about forever will it always have to be about the 6ts? or rather the very principle of rejecting the mainstream fodder and searching through the past, to uncover the forgotton, emotive, dance music of another generation?

Emo

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

An alternative take would be that 'northern soul is old and forgotten' rather than 'northern soul is from the sixties and forgotten' which is where the oldies splinter (good call there) currently is. It needs to remember that while these records evoke a certain bunch of memories for a certain age group, the generation behind has much the same memories of records ten or twenty years newer.

These records have the same call on the 'rare' scene in that generation that obscure New York released from 1967 have. Once these records are 'known' they loose their appeal to the traditional scene and become 'oldies' and should be embraced particularly - and I'm finally getting to the point I was making - when you think about this newer generation. They've grown up with a particular era of soul music, and that should be respected. It's perhaps not to everybody's taste (mine included) but if it's rare, obscure, and by some strange definition 'northern soul', then what is the problem?

Just don't go to the events and leave the next generation to find it's way, the same way as the early 70s scene took a detour.

They'll come back on track (whatever that track may be by then) eventually.

Social source share

Hi Len,

Some good points there. The music will never die out. It's too well established around the world now - we were discussing this on another thread, some fears NS would go the way of doo-wop, which never broke out of it's core fan base in the USA. NS and rare soul is different, thousands of CDs, MP3, supermarket sweeps and the like.

What will change (and has changed already) is the shape of the scene. The old style nights / Niters will gradually disappear, replaced by SAGA weekenders, and ultimately a special old peoples home where you can pay to live in an environment with Judy Street pumping out over the speakers, a "talc friendly" dance floor, NS sympathetic nurses et al.

In the place of the old scene there will be localised new nights - in fact if you go to London there's something on every week now and sometimes more than one gig. Apart from the odd DJ I don't know any of the people at these gigs, they are transient but they all seem to be having a good time dancing and enjoying themselves. They ain't gonna spend 8g on Eddie Parker tho!

Keep smiling, see you soon.

Anyone up for investing for a NS old people's home? I am going to register the name "Oldsoul" just in case :lol:

Nice records Saturday man.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest tommymac

put me down for the old peoples home but better make it quick, (before our lass just has me put down lmao) like the sound of that as long as i can get one of them spinning wheelchairs.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Len,

Some good points there. The music will never die out. It's too well established around the world now - we were discussing this on another thread, some fears NS would go the way of doo-wop, which never broke out of it's core fan base in the USA. NS and rare soul is different, thousands of CDs, MP3, supermarket sweeps and the like.

What will change (and has changed already) is the shape of the scene. The old style nights / Niters will gradually disappear, replaced by SAGA weekenders, and ultimately a special old peoples home where you can pay to live in an environment with Judy Street pumping out over the speakers, a "talc friendly" dance floor, NS sympathetic nurses et al.

In the place of the old scene there will be localised new nights - in fact if you go to London there's something on every week now and sometimes more than one gig. Apart from the odd DJ I don't know any of the people at these gigs, they are transient but they all seem to be having a good time dancing and enjoying themselves. They ain't gonna spend 8g on Eddie Parker tho!

Keep smiling, see you soon.

Anyone up for investing for a NS old people's home? I am going to register the name "Oldsoul" just in case :lol:

Nice records Saturday man.

Hey STEVE!......when/if l get to that old peoples home l certainly won,t wanna hear pop records like judy street lol.........l might be ready for that mid tempo durge that len likes :D :D .........another thought....do you think the govenment will make you sell ya EDDIE PARKER to pay for ya care :lol:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Hey STEVE!......when/if l get to that old peoples home l certainly won,t wanna hear pop records like judy street lol.........l might be ready for that mid tempo durge that len likes :D :D .........another thought....do you think the govenment will make you sell ya EDDIE PARKER to pay for ya care :lol:

Well I heard that the Lib Dems are now looking about taxing peoples wealth, art and collections. So yep Eddie P may well get taken into account when ya day of reckoning comes and good old Social Services are looking at what you can and can't afford. The good news is they'll never be elected :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!