Current Local Soul Monster

viphitman

Just wondered what underplayed or fairly unknown tunes are going down very well at certain venues at the moment. Please choose 4 records which work really well at one particular venue you are a resident in. Or choose 4 tracks which can be associated with one particular venue right now !!

my top 4 for the motte allnighter are:

Sun & Rain: This Is Love

Ronnie Baker: Big Wide World

Fat Jack Band: Hey It's Summer

Voltaire's: Movin' Movin' On

Social source share

C'mon, there must be some obscure or underplayed played tunes which work really well at one particular venue at the moment. Tunes you have build up to the extent that they become firm favourites at one particular venue but do rarely get played somewhere else. It does not matter if the track had a few spins before, I am talking about tracks which have become dance floor fillers after you gave them a little push for a while at a certain venue !!!! In the past we had a few wilton lifeline 100 club tunes but I believe also some of the smaller open minded clubs do play tracks which are under the radar but really have the punters rocking at that particular venue at the moment. Don't be shy :)

Social source share

Not sure it fills the criteria but may meet the spirit of the thread. Not current but when we were running the Attic a couple of yeras ago we each had our own "underplayed" favourites that went down well at The Attic, but as we were so under-the-radar they were never going to become dance floor favourites.

One of mine was Lavell Hardy, What Kind of Woman (Rojac), harder to find than people think in my opinion. I'd have to look back at playlists to pick another 3 to make the 4 for you, but from memory I did stick with Barry White - All In The Run of The Day for a while too.

I could give you 4 I'm playing at home - but I don't think that's a venue??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yes but at some point it should really be about sharing great tunes !!! I played those mentioned above over the last few years and they are almost motte oldies by know !! The voltaires has been in my set for almost 17 years (both sides) but I was fortunate enough to be able to run a venue for the last 4 years, so people associate the track (movin' movin' on ) mostly with the motte allnighter !!! It had a few spins before in the uk but most punters just knew about it after ''my my baby'' became popular in the uk.

Edited by viphitman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Movin movin on was played quite a lot in the early 90,s here in the Northwest I played it out regulary whenever I DJ,d has did a few others great double sider as you mentioned

yep that's what I ment !!!! All the other tracks (Sun & Rain: This Is Love, Ronnie Baker: Big Wide World, Fat Jack Band: Hey It's Summer) are a little obscure but the Voltaires has been played before but is still a little under the radar for most punters !!! So, it doesn't matter if one particular track has had a few spins before at another venue as long as it stayed a rather local favorite or a collectors choice !!!! It's about tracks which are now still underplayed or obscure but are becoming real dance floor fillers at one particular nighter at the moment or are have even become classics in that little circle !!!!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Btw The Voltaires are good example !! I played this since the early 90's in Hamburg then I moved to London for 12 years !! When I played it in London some old established collectors came up and asked what it was !!! So, it was known to some in the north east but for most of the punters in London it was new & fresh !! But I rarely dj'ed in London !!! On the other side Ronnie Baker: Big Wide World is still obscure in the Uk and I think only John Willis is playing it right now regulary !!! I was hoping some dj's who are not playing all over the country come up with some underplayed/obscure tunes which are now big faves at one particular venue they are a resident in (or are a regular guest dj) !!! Surely some tracks will have some exposure at other venues but are still fairly new to most soulies !!!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Movin movin on was played quite a lot in the early 90,s here in the Northwest I played it out regulary whenever I DJ,d has did a few others great double sider as you mentioned

Don't like the Voltairs...but it's horses for courses.Not a fan of the vocal harmony midtempo sound......but i do have the other Bacone 45.Limitations -Lonely Troubled which is more my cuppa t.Only heard it played out a few times, once by the Solid Hit Soul boys in London.I believe Tim Ashibende found a box of these.The Barry White ive had for years on Uk President....never played that out either.I think these days I could only get away with 2 or 3 semi/unknowns.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Steve z when he was our resident at the Greatstone used to play big wide world. Sadly we no longer haver the Greatstone so the underplayed and obscure stuff does not get played so much now. As you know I was playing the sun and rain track

Mark

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve z when he was our resident at the Greatstone used to play big wide world. Sadly we no longer haver the Greatstone so the underplayed and obscure stuff does not get played so much now. As you know I was playing the sun and rain track

Mark

I hope that you'll find a new venue soon !!! Btw we do play a lot of northern classics but it's just so nice to have a few obscure or underplayed tunes played during the night as well. It's such a buzz when after someone played an oldie the dance floor gets even busier while an obscure or underplayed tune is rocking the house ....then it's mission accomplished ;)

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Do play Ronnie Baker over here in NYC but purely as an early doors record, total quality but would never get a US crowd on the floor for it sad to say!

I have ben playing this for quite a few years now & I think it's a fab track but it needs constant hammering before it becomes a dance floor winner. Once the punters get a little tired from all those 100 mile/h dancers and the tempo drops a little it works a treat. Normally more ladies then boys like to have a little dance to this  :thumbsup:   

Social source share

Don't like the Voltairs...but it's horses for courses.Not a fan of the vocal harmony midtempo sound......but i do have the other Bacone 45.Limitations -Lonely Troubled which is more my cuppa t.Only heard it played out a few times, once by the Solid Hit Soul boys in London.I believe Tim Ashibende found a box of these.The Barry White ive had for years on Uk President....never played that out either.I think these days I could only get away with 2 or 3 semi/unknowns.

I've been hammering the limitations over the lat 12 months, the very essense of 'it' imho, I cant say the 'n' word anymore, lol. 

Social source share

but are becoming real dance floor fillers at one particular nighter at the moment or are have even become classics in that little circle !!!!

Whats a dance floor filler !. Don't do niters but i can't even get a dancer at my local soul nite. Check out my playlists

https://soulboyspromo.com/forum/index.php?board=10.0

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Here are a few tunes i'm playing since a few years at our local night in lucerne called spin club and would call them spin club classics...

Harmonics - be your man

Wally coco - message to society

Singing tornados - traveling through the land

Jimmy wooten - hurry home

Royale vii - it's an explosion

Mighty chevelles - jumpin with music

Bold breed - mood for love

Harry moon & fide - stop you're breakin my heart

And one that will hopefully be a future classic that i'm hammering at mo

Opells - day and time

Social source share

Voltaires is far from unknown but as good as it may be it just isn't what the scene in the UK go for :( Can see why it is liked on the continent.

Limitations is far from unknown or even semi known or even underplayed. Everyone who has a copy seems to play it.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here are a few tunes i'm playing since a few years at our local night in lucerne called spin club and would call them spin club classics...

Harmonics - be your man

Wally coco - message to society

Singing tornados - traveling through the land

Jimmy wooten - hurry home

Royale vii - it's an explosion

Mighty chevelles - jumpin with music

Bold breed - mood for love

Harry moon & fide - stop you're breakin my heart

And one that will hopefully be a future classic that i'm hammering at mo

Opells - day and time

some mighty fine tunes, thanks for putting them up !!!

Social source share

Voltaires is far from unknown but as good as it may be it just isn't what the scene in the UK go for :( Can see why it is liked on the continent.

Limitations is far from unknown or even semi known or even underplayed. Everyone who has a copy seems to play it.

Absolutely right, Limitations is a Wigan and Cleethorpes oldie first spun 1975-76, I even had it on an Emidisc back then with Lainie Hill - Time Marches On on the other side so it's easy to date it.

Social source share

Agree with the Limitations but I am sure it was not played at the 40th anniversary ;)  I have included the Voltaires firstly because it became a club anthem at Motte and a firm play for me over the last 20 years I think. Also, I wanted to include at least one track which is semi known/underplayed. The spirit of this threat is about unknown/obscure and underplayed tracks which may be known to some but not to the majority. I was hoping through that, more people can participate in this threat and are willing to share tunes which became firm favourites at one particular venue over the last few years/months.... All the other tracks I have mentioned are quite obscure and I have tried to at least give on example of the different styles that the northern/rare soul scene has covered over the last god knows years. All the current popular topics are just about personal views on the usual topics. So, c'mon folks, if ya fed up with the top 500 lets embrace and talk about soul music and start digging. There are some mighty fine clubs out there with underplayed/obscure stuff and oldies all mixed up so that everyone is happy. Another example of a mighty fine track is Brother Love Precious Dove which has been championed by The Jan at his FDO Soul club and became a real dance floor monster at his club. Some people heard it before, may even have a copy but the majority didn't know the track before hand. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Just wondered what underplayed or fairly unknown tunes are going down very well at certain venues at the moment. Please choose 4 records which work really well at one particular venue you are a resident in. Or choose 4 tracks which can be associated with one particular venue right now !!

my top 4 for the motte allnighter are:

Sun & Rain: This Is Love

Ronnie Baker: Big Wide World

Fat Jack Band: Hey It's Summer

Voltaire's: Movin' Movin' On

Bu**er VIPHITMAN ain't heard any of those in me life I don't think...!!!x Just have....and perhaps the nearest I got to any of those sounds was Ordinary Joe in the mid 90's which was an acquired taste in its beginnings and cleared many a floor I recall! Fat Jack reminds me of that 'sound'....nice 1!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

.....sheeeee****t....listened to about 50 tunes in the past 4/5 weeks on here from different forums....'bread n butter' or current apparently.....ain't heard any of em!!!hehe!!!x I went to Butlins Skeggy and had fantastic holidays...the only ones...in the late 60's early 70's before the Empress Ballroom burnt down! I couldn't go back there for any occasion as it ain't the same anymore.....folk don;t even play games together anymore or owt...or do the Gay Gordons en masse...oreven eat breakfast together by chalet colours.....shame!!x However.....I may have been 'at home' this week-end gone....! My way forward is as was in the 90's. Been in a 'bubble' for 10-15 years again....and go forward on good music...irrelevant of its past placement or not...or established 'cred'....it worked before!x

@@
~

TOOOOOOCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!.....(SHUUUUSHHHHH...!)...change me time to 1-2pm for this Sunday.....!!!...I put meself on at me first ever doo at 7-8pm wiv doors opening at 7! Din;'t wanna upset anyone init!!!hehe!x 

@@
~

...Yes I know the doo don;t start till 2pm.....but these 'hard core' have me on the runnnn.......ARGHHHH....hehehehe!!!x

A rareity I play which I don't hear played anywhere back in the 90's or now at any doo's or party's...which i;ve spun as the lights come on often over the years as folk waltzed outta the doors all happy as pie with the night after weddings/barmitsfahs and the like...but played it to meself really....quite happily...with a smile!!x

I won't be playing it Sunday...or anywhere on the Northern scene unless at a party or summink....but it gets me thru such times singing it....and it appears to have done VIPHITMAN no harm!!!x

@@
~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAP1xZFDSxY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...followed by this HITMAN......at VIP's party's when they think it's all over....and I kick off with another 3 or 4 hours into the night.......WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISHgrgGJ2k

...Gordon's 'on it'....and hope all u Knottingley Congragation are too.....I don;t get out much......!!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

...Stevie G......got any of them red ones to calm me down???....!hehe!x

Social source share

...followed by this HITMAN......at VIP's party's when they think it's all over....and I kick off with another 3 or 4 hours into the night.......WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISHgrgGJ2k

...Gordon's 'on it'....and hope all u Knottingley Congragation are too.....I don;t get out much......!!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...Stevie G......got any of them red ones to calm me down???....!hehe!x

ya cheeky monkey take ya medicine :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 6 months later...

When I lived in London we used to discuss how odd it was that on such a small scene records could be considered played out in one part of the country and virtually unknown in another. It became a bit of an in joke to say after a a record that had just cleared the dance floor "that's big up north at the moment".

On the other side of the coin I sold a mint copy of The Four Pros - Just Another Girl for £40 (what I paid for it) as it just kept clearing the floor, didn't know it was going massive up north at the time. The guy that bought it actually phoned someone up in front of me and bragged about how cheap he'd got it (and still owes me £10 off it - if you're reading this Steve) FFS.

Funny old world.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!