Soulful House

Guest modernlass

Guest Matt Male

Listen to Paul Phillips on Solar Radio on the weekends - I think his show goes out at 10pm on Saturdays and Sundays. There's fewer consistent quality DJ's for finding and playing the better examples than Paul. He mixes his show up with new and old soul as well. A top bloke. :thumbsup:

Roger

Thanks Roger.

Social source share

• Replies 143
  • Views 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Matt Male

Matt................look no further than tomorrow night...............www.solarradio.com........10pm-midnight. Paul Phillips plays the creme of this genre IMVHO!!

Cheers mate,

Mark

Thanks Mark i'll certainly listen in :thumbsup:

Social source share

martin (cunnie), dave rimmer answered you for me.

check out all the bars around the devonshire street (sheffield) mate. loads of soulful house being played at the weekends

Shane

Thanks for the tip on the Soulful house getting played in Sheffield Bars.

I feel it's only right to repay the compliment.Check out any Wedding do's for some fantastic Northern,Third Finger.Band Of Gold etc :thumbsup:

Social source share

hav to bagree with the guys.. paul phillips is the guy droppin the quality vibes..the added bonus is paul is doin his live feeds from the SOUTHPORT WEEKENDER.. check his website..paul@soulful grooves for show times from the gig..on solar

regards terry :thumbsup:

Some superb stuff as ever from Paul in the last couple of weeks....

Catalan Fc & Sven love ft Blaze - All About Love - Kif

Byron Moore - Life Starts Today - Tea Party

DJ Spinna/Tricia Angus - Living My Life - Columbia

Loose Fingers - Dreaming Of Better Days - Alleviated

Free Radikalz/DJ Spinna - Bye Bye Bye - Columbia

Soul Creation ft Kenny Bobien - Through The rain - Got Soul

Tune after tune , week after week, year after year....

Social source share

No mark cant agree with that . insts on the N scene that one was the biggest

it was contemporary 60s R&B same as when people played

bambu the real thing or star suite mondo grosso in rooms of a different flavour

there was nothing wrong with that either

I know............I'm not denying the part that insts have to play...............I'm just thinking that some people that dismiss other genre's to easily might have selective memories when they do so on the basis of what's "soul" music. The record in question is part of a scene, but not particularly soulful.

Two great records you mentioned there BTW............know your stuff don't you..................wasn't aware that Bambu got played anywhere particular, so that's how much I know :thumbsup::D ..................as for Star Suite..........that was one of 4 15+ minute records I remember using on radio a few Prestatyns ago when my voice was shot on the Sunday evening..............see, they have their uses........more music, less talking :D:D

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

If we start hearing some of this at Northern soul nights it might turn into a dance venue. You get loads of house music with soul beats etc played in night clubs, Tina Moore - Never Let You Go is an example of the classic song played. Do we want this played at Northern soul. why not just stick to relevant music to relevent night crossover songs obviously played for reasons.

Social source share

"Soulful House" - the very personification of what the word "oxymoron". was devised to describe

It tried to ruin the modern scene in the 90s when Simon Dunmore, Bob Jones et al decided we needed to hear it, but fortunately sanity prevailed (eventually).

I'm not saying that house records can't be soulful - I have many that patently are - but I'd sooner not have them shoved at me in the name of entertainment, when there are so many under-rated and underplayed Modern and Northern records out there screaming for re-evaulation first!

TONE, THE PART-TIME LUDDITE :angry:

Is this the Tony Rounce that has done the latest B&S singles review page, if so your latest reviews and pick of the week are really soulful, much more than the average house record. I assume you only review what you believe in.

This is a pointless argument to me, I love house, dont really think about hearing it at an allnighter though, hearing Masters At Work playing at top of their game is a great experience but not one I expect to hear in a working mans club.There is stuff that could crossover in modern rooms but you are not going to make people like this so why even try!!

I don't like agreeing with Stuart T, it really hurts, my hatred of Thatcher is only equalled by his unbelievable love for the bloodsucking vampire, but he does have a point on this argument.

Roger, Lin and Mark R thought you would have known better than to try!

I am off in search of that unissued Arnold Jarvis acetate!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Thanks for the tip on the Soulful house getting played in Sheffield Bars.

I feel it's only right to repay the compliment.Check out any Wedding do's for some fantastic Northern,Third Finger.Band Of Gold etc :thumbsup:

:D

your comment confirms there is a fine line. i wasnt far wrong and neither are you. i like band of gold by the way :D

Shane

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Roger, Lin and Mark R thought you would have known better than to try!

Jock, I haven't been posting trying to get it accepted in northern soul venues mate, I actually don't believe soulful house has a place on a scene which is traditionally based around 60s and 70s music. If an enterprising DJ like Soul Sam wants to chance his arm with the odd one or two and it works then fair play to him, but personally I take Dave Rimmers view and would never dream these days of saying to anyone what they should be liking or embracing because if somebody did that to me I'd just tell 'em to f*** off and let me enjoy what I enjoy and them enjoy what they enjoy. Attempting to force your own views on others just doesn't work and it never will.

Soulful house (god I hate that bloody term now!) definitely has a place on a modern soul scene which is based around contemporary and current music, no question, but my only problem with this is that the DJ's who champion it on the modern soul scene as a rule either don't want to, or don't have the ability to vary the pace of their sets and just go headlong into a full set of what after half an hour sounds to me like a headache - there actually are a few intelligent DJ's who can incorporate it into a balanced set, Colin Curtis and Baz Maleady spring to mind, Mark Randle and Fish can do it and I've personally got no problem with throwing two or three in every now and again myself, but of the others who play it I can't think of any one of them who's set doesn't degenerate into banging mediocrity after half an hour. It's fine for the sweating wizzing off their tits minority who don't care what they dance to as long as it's got a beat but as far as the majority of discerning modern soul fans are concerned I'm sure most like it but not for a full set.

But maybe I'm just old and totally wrong!! :thumbsup:

If we start hearing some of this at Northern soul nights it might turn into a dance venue.

Isn't a northern soul night a dance venue, albeit to a different style of music?

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Soulfull house - love it.

It has a place on the scene, and it already fills floors. DJ genesis, Hardsoul and the sound of Michael Proctor filling the floor in the main room at Cleethorpes.

If its soulfull, why not!!

Social source share

Guest soul4life

Jock, I haven't been posting trying to get it accepted in northern soul venues mate, I actually don't believe soulful house has a place on a scene which is traditionally based around 60s and 70s music. If an enterprising DJ like Soul Sam wants to chance his arm with the odd one or two and it works then fair play to him, but personally I take Dave Rimmers view and would never dream these days of saying to anyone what they should be liking or embracing because if somebody did that to me I'd just tell 'em to f*** off and let me enjoy what I enjoy and them enjoy what they enjoy. Attempting to force your own views on others just doesn't work and it never will.

Soulful house (god I hate that bloody term now!) definitely has a place on a modern soul scene which is based around contemporary and current music, no question, but my only problem with this is that the DJ's who champion it on the modern soul scene as a rule either don't want to, or don't have the ability to vary the pace of their sets and just go headlong into a full set of what after half an hour sounds to me like a headache - there actually are a few intelligent DJ's who can incorporate it into a balanced set, Colin Curtis and Baz Maleady spring to mind, Mark Randle and Fish can do it and I've personally got no problem with throwing two or three in every now and again myself, but of the others who play it I can't think of any one of them who's set doesn't degenerate into banging mediocrity after half an hour. It's fine for the sweating wizzing off their tits minority who don't care what they dance to as long as it's got a beat but as far as the majority of discerning modern soul fans are concerned I'm sure most like it but not for a full set.

But maybe I'm just old and totally wrong!! :D

Isn't a northern soul night a dance venue, albeit to a different style of music?

hi ya dodger, totally agree with you! thats why i am co.promoting! a dedicated 2 room event called SOUL T.V one spinnin the best in soulful dance and the other room spinnin modern soul grooves! paul phillips has kindly agreed to be the main guest @ the opening nite! see flyers page for details..

again one room for discerning soulful dance fans and the other for the discerning modern soul fans! and 2 rooms for the many that dont give a f**k wots played aslong as its good!!!! AND THEY HAV A GREAT NITE OUT!!! regards terry gee. :thumbsup::D:D:D:D

Social source share

Here you are Simon,just for you :rolleyes:Joe___More_And_More.mp3

Simon T said:
Shane perhaps you ought to think before you post, especially as a mod.

Pete of ex bangor fame, is for me one of the nice guys on here (still owe you a couple+ of pints for the Cd's) ((Stick Joe - More & more Up))

Social source share

But maybe I'm just old and totally wrong!! :lol:

So the Dj's on the modern scene don't want to play it either, this is very confusing :rolleyes: , if they have probs spinning it, what makes some think that we want it in the northern rooms??? Leave it in the clubs, in its own environment, Plenty of room out there for this and similar music, it doesnt have to cross the line into Northern venues. What's the desperate need for it too anyway? Great comments Dodger by the way. :lol:

Social source share

Just to precis the missing posts.

The soulies both young and old admitted they were missing an opportunity to encourage youngsters onto the scene. They also accepted they really need to listen/learn/understand some of this soulful house before commenting further :lol::rolleyes::lol:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Why is it called Soulful House ?

Not the Soulful bit, but why is it called House music ?

Good to see that you accept that it's Soulful :lol:

Just had an idea.

Why don't we call it "New Northern Soul" :lol::D:D

Only having a Giraffe mate whistling.gif

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Will answer that later if some one else dont, havent got time at the mo whistling.gif

Social source share

Seriously for once Dave.

Lot's of theories on this but the most popular one dates back to the early 1980s when the now legendary DJ Frankie Knuckles was the resident DJ at a Chicago nightclub called the Warehouse.

post-3218-1147428511.jpg

Frankie Knuckles pic

The rest as they say.....

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Guest Soulboychester

As someone who has been into northern soul for many years and then progressed onto modern soul and now soulful house. Can someone please please tell me why u soulful boys and girls think that there is no place for soulful house. Have any of u listened to this music and if u have u will find like I have that u will get no better lyrics or those feelings we have all felt on the back of our necks. Come on we need to move forward and unite and accept that soulful house has the right to b played at our venues. I can remember when I used to go to Queens Hall Bradford and we were slated downstairs for listening to rave music - and guess what it was'nt rave it was modern soul, which some of our DJs are playing now.

Come on u djs and dancers give it a go and u might b pleasently surprised - we have to move forward and get more young people involved in our scene if not surely one day we will all be sitting round with our zimmer frames waiting for the bus to collect us.....

A very frustrated soulie waiting for the perfect night were we are given the right to listen to pure soul music at its best...... whistling.gif

Social source share

Pretending your working eh Baz :lol::lol:

:D I try my best :D

Seriously for once Dave.

Lot's of theories on this but the most popular one dates back to the early 1980s when the now legendary DJ Frankie Knuckles was the resident DJ at a Chicago nightclub called the Warehouse.

post-3218-1147428511.jpg

Frankie Knuckles pic

The rest as they say.....

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Seriously for once Dave.

Indeed - Chicago 'house' of sound ...

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Good to see that you accept that it's Soulful :lol:

Just had an idea.

Why don't we call it "New Northern Soul" :(:P:lol:

Only having a Giraffe mate :thumbsup:

Actually heard the House scene described in a magazine (might have been Time Out or the now defunkt Evening Standard mag 'Metro') as the 'New Northern Soul' :P

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

The point is we have to hope not only soulful house, but they don't try wade house music with it. As many of you would know to be known as house music means you are a dance music DJ. House music, not forgetting sub genres like Hard House and Deep Funky House.

Social source share

Actually heard the House scene described in a magazine (might have been Time Out or the now defunkt Evening Standard mag 'Metro') as the 'New Northern Soul' :hypo:

Why not!

The Soulful house scene is a complete mirror of the northern scene, i take it you know nothing of the soulful house scene other wise you would understand,

Tiny lables out of detroit, Chicago, Philly ect ect

16-45 year olds going out traveling to the top venues accross the country dancing all night taking drugs,

A friendly atmosphere

now tell me its not the same!!!

Social source share

Guest soulgirlie

Why not!

The Soulful house scene is a complete mirror of the northern scene, i take it you know nothing of the soulful house scene other wise you would understand,

16-45 year olds going out traveling to the top venues accross the country dancing all night taking drugs,

A friendly atmosphere

Spot on... I find it a source of mild amusement that my son is doing exactly the same now as I was 30 years ago (and still am ) the only difference being that he gets a perspective from both sides of the decks .

Occasionally I'll hear something echoing up from the cellar that sounds a bit "banging" but if I negatively draw attention to it ,he reminds me of the pace of some of the old northern records ...there are a million similarities musically and scene wise for sure :hypo:

Lin

www.soul-underground.co.uk

Social source share

Why not!

A friendly atmosphere

================

Seven seas vitamins hardly counts :hypo:

Social source share

Why not!

A friendly atmosphere

Totally agree.

And who's to say that in 20 years time - or less - we'll see a revival scene based on soulful house, with today's flops being highly collectable and going for silly money?

Yes, it's an almost pefect mirror of the Northern scene and if I had the money, I'd be collecting it now ready to cash in later.

Colin

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Why not!

A friendly atmosphere

Baz,

You're right that I 'know nothing of the soulful house scene', but my comment was in response to Cunnie's remark that we should 'call it the new Northern Soul' and that, in certain sections of the media, this has already happened!

For what it's worth I agree that there are a number of similarities, although don't agree that this sort of music should played on the 'Northern' scene. That is not to say that I don't hear the odd one or two that enjoyable but, for me at least, this type of music has, and should be kept, to its own scene.

Social source share

For what it's worth I agree that there are a number of similarities, although don't agree that this sort of music should played on the 'Northern' scene. That is not to say that I don't hear the odd one or two that enjoyable but, for me at least, this type of music has, and should be kept, to its own scene.

I totally agree on that :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Used to be a place to put your car :P

As I understand it, it is a term used to describe an often vocal style of house music that bears resemblance to the music played by the DJ, the late great Larry Levan resident at the Paradise Garage. However the term is ill applied as Larry used to play MFSB next to Dinosaur Jr and the Clash. I don't think you would have got away with playing Rock the Kasbar downstairs at the Queens hall or at Garage City. :lol:

BTW I'd be very happy to poke my head round the door of a Soulful House room at a Northern Venue, spent some time at Prestatyn before last listening to Yogis spot and enjoyed it. I'd also force all the Djs to Mix, that's why you have long in - outro's. :wicked:whistling.gif

Social source share

BTW I'd be very happy to poke my head round the door of a Soulful House room at a Northern Venue.

Lowton Civic Hall every other month...........Next night Friday June 9th Room three Uptempo Soul with Johnno, Dave Hawkins and guests 9pm -2am

Room One - Quality Northern

Room Two - 70's and 80's

Sorted!

Social source share

If you've been reading this thread, and wondering what all the fuss is about, join me on Starpoint radio to hear some recent Soulful House gems...............it's only a small part of the show, which encompasses ballads, mid-tempo dancers and soulful house............but it's quality stuff...........and all new releases.

1st broadcast - Friday 19th May 11pm - 1am

Repeats - Tuesday 23rd May 8am - 10am

& Wendesday 24th May 12pm - 2pm.

www.starpointradio.com

Sky Digital Ch 0163

Hope some of you can join me!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

..you can also check out Passion Radio on Sunday Nights. whistling.gif

Got a lurvly show lined up for this week with loads & loads of new stuff..

First hour is gonna be all Soulful House this time which should p**** off quite a few :thumbsup:

Second will be mostly all Northern this week and third will have a couple of nice new items which didn't get played the week before..

So, 87.7 FM if you're darn sarf or www.passionradio.co.uk worldwide this Sunday 6~9pm.

Steve :unsure:

Social source share

I feel there are many valid points raised in the previous posts,personaly i think that there are many yet undiscovered tunes that will surface over the next few years that are truly new yet soulful enough to be embraced by the scene in general,in respect to soulful house i feel it has a long way to go to gain acceptance,the few that have managed to break through are wonderful tunes and do deserve spins when played in a well balanced set,but they are few and far between,it has long been my belief that the soul scene is always willing to accept certain new tunes as long as they are relevant to the scene as it stands today,this means that good tunes will always win through albeit retrospectively,only time will tell,the secret is knowing which ones,a belief that every soulful house tune belongs on the scene would be naive and although i do DJ in bars and love soulful house i would not mix the two,as i stated above there are many more fitting tunes to play at a soul do,they are out there if you look,and do appeal to the younger generation because they are new,for the time being rest on your laurels knowing that chances are when the odd tune does get accepted you were in the know first time round and bought it because you loved it and didnt wait for twenty people to get on the dance floor before you realised it was a great tune,,,,,such is life,,,,,be patient,,,,,if you build it they will come...peace......Dale

Social source share

ps anybody in Barnsley saturday nights ,soviet bar wellington street,8-10,

current spins,,,

louie vega elements of life

james ingram lean on me

dj pope feat una watchin you

blacksun spread love

stephanie cooke rain

cammelle hinds closer to the source

maysa the bottle

ledisi good lovin

ali feelin you(house mix)

adeva,michael proctor,donna allen,gerald levert,michael watford,aretha,ubp,arnold jarvis,ce ce rogers,kathy brown,latanza waters,roy ayres,,,,and many more all mixed in the best possible taste...........later dudes..

Social source share

Guest bertie97

JUST GOT IN FROM MY NIGHT. PLAYING 60s 70s NORTHERN ETC.PLAYED A TRACK NEAR THE END BY BLAZE(WHY CANT WE LIVE TOGETHER). THE PLACE ERUPTED, IS THIS A POSITIVE REACTION.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody wishing to hear & learn more about soulful house why not get yourself down to Lytham Football Academy on Saturday June 3rd where DJs Pete Haigh, Steve Naylor, Andy Lett & Kevin Priest will be spinning the choons. We are long time soul devotees who go way back to the Blackpol Mecca days of '73/'74 & not some "wet behind the ears" 140 bpm whippersnappers.

Be assured the accent as always will be on SOUL .

Try it - you might like it. thumbsup.gif

Email www.famtree2005@yahoo.co.uk

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert