John Manships Auction Results 13-2-2013

JOE TORQUAY

7773sm.jpg

Eddie Parker

I'm Gone C/w Crying Clown

You are not only viewing the greatest Northern Soul record ever created. You are also viewing the finest condition example on Planet Earth!

This is Jack Ashford’s personal file copy he shelved the day it arrived from the pressing plant!

This is not a coffee stained, warped, written on, autographed and dedicated to Johnny - Frank Wilson - this is in IMHO the greatest Northern Soul recorded ever pressed in PERFECT condition! Still encased in it’s age-browned factory sleeve it was born in.

To own this record in this condition, I’m not afraid to go on record as saying “would be the ultimate Northern Soul collectors achievement!”

You will never see, hear or brief encounter a copy of this calibre ever again! It’s music reputation, rarity, kudos could not be greater.

Act accordingly - because this 45 will also be accompanied by a signed letter of provenance from Jack Ashford himself - which looks awesome also!

Now listen and experience two sides of the most highly accomplished Soul Music this scene has ever witnessed!

An awestruck JM …signs off

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 8,284.00

7781sm.jpg

Martin Luther King Jr,

The Great March To Freedom

RARE!

Original 1968 British mono press of the 1963 recording of his historical Detroit speeches.

This is one of the very most difficult album in the first 100 TML series to acquire - for obvious reasons sale in the UK upon release were few and far between indeed.

FRONT COVER has some light creases down the right hand side (see scan) BACK COVER is free of stains, tears or writing - light age discolouring no more. VINYL is immaculate only the briefest surface blemish can revealed in strong light. A nice clean Mint - ORIGINAL inner sleeve is still intact

The winning bid was £ 200.00

7780sm.jpg

Strides

I Can Get Along (without Your Love)

So what’s your excuse for playing inferior Northern Soul to your public when tunes like this are still awaiting real exposure?

From the pens of two prolific Detroit creators Clay McMurray & Johnny Griffith comes this smooth as silk vocal group Northern Soul dancer that has never ever received the turntable time a record of this quality demands.

Take time and listen to the intricate soaring strings Mike Theodore decorates the session with, or the discreet vibes punctuating the lyrics, the drum rolls and Dennis Coffey’s plucky guitar work aiding the lead vocal, as he defiantly states he can get along “without your love”!

All welded together by thoughtful use of a Bass vocalist and harmony group cradling the lead vocal from one pitch to another.

Wonderful isn’t it! and here in it’s rarest form - a neat yellow stock copy with clean labels and near perfect vinyl!

PS for a change don’t forget to flip it over - for a killer instrumental version.

The winning bid was £ 211.00

7779sm.jpg

Temptations

The Temptations

As with the statements made on the “Jimmy Armstrong” listing. Whilst collecting label runs the most important factor is condition.

British Tamla Motown addicts are serial up-graders!

This may not be the most-elusive of the UK 60s Tamla Motown EP’s bjut to find it in this standard of condition is rare.

FRONT COVER is free of any creasing or laminate-veins (see scan) BACK COVER is free of any writing, stains or tears - just occasional minimal-light age spotting. LABELS are perfect VINYL is a strong clean Mint -

TMG boys you will not be seeking an upgrade if acquire this copy tracks: 1. My Girl 2. I’ll Be In trouble 3. Why You Wanna Make Me Blue 4. The Girl’s Alright With Me

The winning bid was £ 73.00

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

7769sm.jpg

Miracles

Shop Around L1 (1) Mix C/w Who's Loving You

One of Soul Music’s milestones! Motown’s very first #1 hit.

Berry Gordy, the incurable perfectionist was not completely happy with his collaboration with Smokey Robinson on the first mix, allegedly called the whole session team back to the studios for several retakes. The rest is history, the first smash-hit that gave Motown the cash-flow to invest in further productions, material and acts a springboard that created USA’s most successful independent label of the 60s.

What would the future have held - if Berry had an “That’ll Do” attitude, we may wonder.

Before you today is ARP stamped L1 (1) mix as the remarkably RARE PROMO copy, in just astonishing condition!

VINYL is not a hardly a blemish, only sleeve contact brushes can be detected in strong light on the flipside vinyl - A-side vinyl is “as good as it gets”

LABELS matrix H-55518-A-1 text. Other than the promo-man’s “play side” indicating “X” they are both perfect.

A disc for not only for the Motown obsessives but also all collectors drawn to historical groundbreaking 45s in the standard of condition that you see, on only very, very rare occasions.

This 45 is actually the finest copy of it’s type I’ve ever experienced!

The winning bid was £ 71.00

7771sm.jpg

Anita Anderson

Little Bit Longer C/w Secretly

Talking a luscious lady vocals this week, check out this double helping of seriously rare Chicago Northern Soul from the desk of the great Barry Despenza.

Glorious in it’s primitive structure but as with all Mr. Despenza’s creations subtle extra’s lift a street-level production into greatest. Anita’s provocative lead vocal is nourished by discreet male harmony vocal backing that perfectly melt into the simplistic but highly effective instrumentation.

This is 60s Chicago Soul in it’s purist state!

Light surface marks, but as you can hear it plays clean, clear & true on BOTH sides!

The winning bid was £ 661.00

7778sm.jpg

Music City Two In One

Snag Nasty C/w Silly Song

Without question “Music City” was and still is the most talked-about California label of all-time. Probably down to it’s larger-than-life entrepreneurial owner Ray Dobard who over 3 decades produced and released top Doo-Wop rarities in the 50s, great Soul in the 60s and some outrageously sweet soul and funk in the early 70s.

This 45 falls into the last era, the era which saw the demise of Music City as a musical source, the closing of the label, The record shop and the closing of the doors to vinyl-Aladdin’s Cave warehouse which would in the next century erupt the greatest “soul” find in the history of collecting.

Interestingly in that find of 250,000 45s in there was hardly a copy of “Snag Nasty” to be found. So funk guys be rest assured, there may have been 300 copies of The Young Brothers (not) but I personally only acquire a solitary copy of this punchy Bay Area attitude driven Funk groove, and that one left the building almost 10 years since.

Still elusive and still high-sought, long after the “Dobard” find..

The winning bid was £ 33.00

7776sm.jpg

Hector Rivera

I Want You I Needed You I Love You C/w Sweet Soul Baby

Latino sweet soul ballads just “do it” for me. Artists like Ralphi Pagan can do no wrong and Hector Rivera is a man with a cultured feeling for the music.

So check out this 45 that has been a favourite of mine for decades. Sweet harmony vocal-group soul doesn’t get any better. With the talented Hector writing, arranging & producing this slick 4.22 seconds of sheer delight.

You want a more meaty Hector experience, flip it over “Sweet Soul Baby” will sweep your mind away from love & desire right into dance floor shakin’!

Two great sides one very elusive disc!

The winning bid was £ 28.00

Social source share

7772sm.jpg

Clyde Mcphatter

This Is Not Goodbye + 3

The interest and respect for this revered artist could not be stronger with Soul collector tan it is right now, as magazine articles, You Tube, Facebook and forums give us access and realization of the full extent of this man’s extreme vocal talents.

• little wonder Jackie Wilson considered Clyde McPhatter as the greatest influence of his singing career!

You are currently looking at the extremely scarce 1960 4 track UK EP with fully laminated front and back sleeve!

Tracks include: 1. One Right After Another 2. Take A Step 3. Know That Feeling 4. This Is Not Goodbye

Seldom comes the market the serious Soul Scholar or UK addict will see this this as a seldom seen window of opportunity!

The winning bid was £ 40.00

7782sm.jpg

Blues & Soul

# 2 November 1967

In less than a 18 month John Abbey evolved the Home Of The Blues “stapled together” Bedroom fanzine into a glossy leafed Blues & Soul as they move to 100 Angel House, Woolmer Road, London to take this venture seriously; as early as #2 professionalism had taken over to produce an impressive soon to be the most important Soul Music publication in the world.

Front Cover Photo: is Sam & Dave at Stax Recording studio Memphis. Inside is is a superb Temptations group full page photo and story. Two page SKA article and new release review. James & Bobby Purify duo full page photo & editorial Betty Harris full page photo & editorial USA, Soul City UK charts Albert King full page photo and editorial Radiants pull page photo and editorial

My bits of delight though are SUE advert for the impossible Barbara Lynn album The welcoming of Derek Lawrence to the team and noting his work with Garnet Mimms & the Senate during Garnett’s UK tour. Including the UK only UA 1186 45 “As Long As I Have You”

Plus all the latest 45 release reviews and ratings.

So historical and a darn interesting read…

The winning bid was £ 27.00

7777sm.jpg

Jimmy Armstrong

Mystery C/w I'm About To Say Goodbye

SHRINE TIME

It is now common knowledge that we have recently been privileged and somewhat humbled to be able to offer, handle & film the SHRINE label in it’s entirety. Whilst doing so the most-significant thing you notice is the vast difference between the label shades, condition and fragility.

SHRINE in their wisdom re-designed the label from their first 2 releases. Into an irresistible “electric” blue background with the esteemed red flame. Unfortunately the years often takes it’s toll on this beautiful label with fade to the blue, ring wear of the ridge, flake to the hand glued labels or worse a label or both have fell off and missing.

This listing of SHRINE 102 the very first release to wear the inspired design shows-off the label in it’s full glory, avoiding daylight and only receiving minimal handling; this copy was obviously used as a promo mail out has it caries two light biro X’s on the flipside.

Our point is - surely the growing band of dedicated SHRINE hunters next ambition to to own SHRINE with the labels and vinyl as fine as it is humanly possible to find.

We can assure NOBODY in the world owns Shrine 45s with the same shade of Electric Blue - i believe this will become the collectors most-challenging quest.

A good starting point would be # 102 and we have 2 other titles in similar “unfaded condition” so out of the whole run only 3 titles remained near to their original colouring. Food for thought…?

The winning bid was £ 300.00

7774sm.jpg

Bob & Earl

Harlem Shuffle

Without doubt Chris Blackwell biggest sales success during this “Trophy” labels short lifespan.

Quickly becoming a club & MOD anthem, in fact the country’s # one dancefloor tune of 1965 cementing the already strong curiosity with USA Soul music. This Los Angeles creation bristled with every ingredient for the UK fan to dance to. It was quickly deleted to spawn various “Island” re-issues over the following years. and now synonymous with revival Club & Motown nights billed as “Harlem Shuffle” evenings!

But before you today is something very different, very rare and to the serious British release Soul collector very, very desirable.

This is the 1965 British DEMO of this timeless classic and to be honest I cannot remember seeing one before.

Both labels are flawless, a-side label sports the all-important highly-coveted rubber-stamped “A”. Vinyl is neat, clean and -plays perfectly, all this comes enveloped in it’s original SUE mid-60s grease-proof finish paper sleeve that so many of the companies 45s where put into.

The winning bid was £ 84.00

Social source share

7770sm.jpg

Dee Dee Sharp

Let's Twine C/w (that's What) My Mama Said

Things on the Northern Soul scene can shift from sleeper to monster almost overnight.

For years now “(That’s What) My Mama Say” has rightly been regarded as a fine example of non-hit Philly Northern Soul that quietly graced imaginative early doors sets, but has always been tough to acquire.

But popular music-styles on the Northern Soul scene constantly change direction, pace and genre. So step forward the meaty R&B Sister groove that has slept on the flipside almost unnoticed for near 50 years. A tune that takes Dee Dee out of her ladylike poise transforming her into the red-hot mistress of dance-craze!

Dee Dee massages Barry Mann & Pete Appell’s lyrics to such great effect the urge to dance just overcomes you. Stand-out sax break, brazen bass guitar rhythm, Dee Dee’s sexy, sexy vocal and succulent girls cooing away in the background, oh how irresistible is this.

How this has taken until 2012 to receive turntable action of any significance is beyond belief.

Now watch it go………………

The winning bid was £ 75.00

7775sm.jpg

Lou Rawls

You Can Bring Me All Your Heartaches C/w A Woman Who's A Woman

With You Tube music channels and Facebook Groups like “Bob’s Soulful Garden” or “Beat Ballad Heaven” the interest in Big City Northern Soul Beat Ballads is having a prodigious Renaissance.

So we thought one of the last century’s greatest exponents of the genre should grace these pages with one of his finest recordings in it’s most fetching form.

A 1966 “Discotheque ‘67 Series” Red & white promo still hugging it’s original both sleeve.

For those of you who prefer the more traditional Northern Soul, the stompers that would shake the “House Next Door” check out the flipside and hear Lou-let-rip!

The winning bid was £ 83.00

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert