What Would You Do? Ebay Experience

macca

Just after Christmas I bought a 45 off a UK dealer and at the point of sale he advised me that it had to go international signed for, given the continental destination. The record cost me ten pounds and I would have been happy with standard airmail. I agreed, reluctantly, to the 9.00 pound shipping charge rather that get into a pointless argument with the chap. Two weeks pass by and no sign of record. It turns out that it went to Uruguay (I live on Uruguay Ave!) instead of Spain. After Uruguay it made its way across the Pacific via Hong Kong and arrived back in the UK this week. The dealer tells me he wants another 9 quid to re-ship it. He also gave me the option a 2.50 to a UK address, 4.00 quid unsigned for (not recommendable he said, though I've never had a record go missing), or a refund of 9.99. I chose the ship to a UK address option so my Dad can forward it to me. Had I been the dealer, I'd have absorbed the cost of sending it again (4 quid) just to preserve goodwill, though I recognise that he's not to blame and will more than likely make a claim against the Royal Mail to recover his initial costs. It's left a rather bad taste in my mouth. Am I being too sensitive here? :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just after Christmas I bought a 45 off a UK dealer and at the point of sale he advised me that it had to go international signed for, given the continental destination. The record cost me ten pounds and I would have been happy with standard airmail. I agreed, reluctantly, to the 9.00 pound shipping charge rather that get into a pointless argument with the chap. Two weeks pass by and no sign of record. It turns out that it went to Uruguay (I live on Uruguay Ave!) instead of Spain. After Uruguay it made its way across the Pacific via Hong Kong and arrived back in the UK this week. The dealer tells me he wants another 9 quid to re-ship it. He also gave me the option a 2.50 to a UK address, 4.00 quid unsigned for (not recommendable he said, though I've never had a record go missing), or a refund of 9.99. I chose the ship to a UK address option so my Dad can forward it to me. Had I been the dealer, I'd have absorbed the cost of sending it again (4 quid) just to preserve goodwill, though I recognise that he's not to blame and will more than likely make a claim against the Royal Mail to recover his initial costs. It's left a rather bad taste in my mouth. Am I being too sensitive here? :-)

No. I agree with you mate. Good will and all that.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I felt like doing that (the record up his posterior option). Think I'll just withhold feedback, assuming my Dad eventually receives the record. Not going to get into any kind of spat that might jeopardise my own feedback rating. Ain't worth it. He hasn't left any feedback for me yet.

Social source share

I felt like doing that (the record up his posterior option). Think I'll just withhold feedback, assuming my Dad eventually receives the record. Not going to get into any kind of spat that might jeopardise my own feedback rating. Ain't worth it. He hasn't left any feedback for me yet.

He can't say much really though can he, can only leave you positive and if he leaves you a 'false positive' you can have it removed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:g: HI ALL TOTALY AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE :thumbsup:

However when I see a record with high postage, I always Email the seller informing them "if I win the auction I will only pay the official postage rate on the Item" this works 9x out of 10 for me, I don't mind 50p on top, try it yourself, it's OK to be ASSERTIVE! :) DAVE K

Social source share

That's appalling, if Royal Mail have returned it to him as undeliverable then either they are at fault or he addressed it incorrectly. In the first case he can claim the postage amount back, in the second he's at fault so should repost at his own cost.

I can see why he's used international signed for (ebay/paypal) but it doesn't cost £9 unless you add the insurance which he doesn't need.

Very poor practice.

Social source share

That's appalling, if Royal Mail have returned it to him as undeliverable then either they are at fault or he addressed it incorrectly. In the first case he can claim the postage amount back, in the second he's at fault so should repost at his own cost.

I can see why he's used international signed for (ebay/paypal) but it doesn't cost £9 unless you add the insurance which he doesn't need.

Very poor practice.

Yeah it does Paul - well it is usually between £8.20 and £8.90

Social source share

Thanks for your thoughts on this one chaps. He also indicated in one of his 'options' that I could make the claim against the Royal Mail, but I don't see why I should have to do that. Surely that's for him to resolve once the record is back in his hands? I won't buy from him again, obviously.

Here's the message that got my goat. Perhaps I should have been more assertive as DaveK suggested.

Here are yr alternatives:

1) Have it shipped to a UK address @ £2.50

2) I'll refund the record price @ £9.99

3) Send me £9.00 to resend it to Spain by tracked mail

4) Make a claim to PO for the £9.00 (good luck dealing with these utter incompetents)

5) Have it shipped regular mail to Spain @ £4 at yr own risk (not advisable)

one thing that WON'T be happening here is me re-shipping the record again @ my own expense. I'll then have actually lost money on a £9.99 sale.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Thanks for your thoughts on this one chaps. He also indicated in one of his 'options' that I could make the claim against the Royal Mail, but I don't see why I should have to do that. Surely that's for him to resolve once the record is back in his hands? I won't buy from him again, obviously.

Here's the message that got my goat. Perhaps I should have been more assertive as DaveK suggested.

Here are yr alternatives:

1) Have it shipped to a UK address @ £2.50

2) I'll refund the record price @ £9.99

3) Send me £9.00 to resend it to Spain by tracked mail

4) Make a claim to PO for the £9.00 (good luck dealing with these utter incompetents)

5) Have it shipped regular mail to Spain @ £4 at yr own risk (not advisable)

one thing that WON'T be happening here is me re-shipping the record again @ my own expense. I'll then have actually lost money on a £9.99 sale.

IT's HIS responsibility to get the record to you, not yours, name and shame Macca so we can all avoid him

Social source share

Guest peterjones

IT's HIS responsibility to get the record to you, not yours, name and shame Macca so we can all avoid him

It is the sellers responsibility to get the record to you, he should take it on the chin and re-send the record to you for free and then with your support make a claim to Royal Mail for his lost costs. If they (Royal Mail) are at fault, they should put it right.

Social source share

His last message to me on Monday was to kindly inform me that the record "ships within 48 hours".

So that's 9,00 + 2.50 + whatever it costs my dear 88 year old Dad at the Peterborough GPO, bless him...

All for a UK demo of Al Wilson Show & Tell which I won for 9.99...

Mark O'Shaughnessy - Resolution Records, Bath.

Trades on Ebay as Louisjoe...

Mac.

p.s.He didn't exactly catch his arse on the door in his rush to get to the post office either, did he?

Social source share

As the seller he took the contract out with the Post Office, since they've returned it to him, it's his job to recoup any losses from them.

Put in a non-receipt of item claim through e~Bay and site that the seller is holding you to ransom over a 45 that you have already paid a large amount of shipping for.

You will get a full refund.

Then leave him negative feedback stating something like 'non~receipt' of item/unhelpful seller.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'll wait to see if it arrives in peterborough before I take any action via ebay. It's more than a month since the auction closed now so time's running out, if ain't run out already. I'll just put him on my shysters list and put it down to experience. thanks again for your input folks.

Social source share

Just passing on mu experiences here in Spain Macca. I've only ever had problems with special, signed for, recorded etc. Over 2000 deliveries via regular mail but the 5 times I used anything out of the ordinary - dramas. Either with delivery, or customs. I simply don't bother with ANYTHING other than regular mail. I live out in the sticks, my post Office is 20 miles away and my postie sort of chooses which days top drop my mail off at my Buzon. But packages that won't fit he drops me off a pick up note and I trot down there once every couple of weeks to pick them up. NEVER lost a single one. Nothing but good things to say about the REGULAR mail to and from Spain. As safe as any other and safer than most I wager.

Just my experience Mate that may help in future. Your dealer on this transaction owes you an apology (and a few quid).

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'll wait to see if it arrives in peterborough before I take any action via ebay. It's more than a month since the auction closed now so time's running out, if ain't run out already. I'll just put him on my shysters list and put it down to experience. thanks again for your input folks.

if that was me selling I would be terrified of someone leaving negative feedback so would bend over backwards to keep the customer happy.

Social source share

If you stated your address correctly, and the seller wrote it correctly, then the mistake was made by the postal system. Since it was shipped signed for and you can check where it went, I think the seller should have a good chance of having it resend for free if he provides the right proof.

Social source share

A French fella gave me a '1' for 'Item As Described' as I'd failed to notice that the labels (Vocal & Inst) on a track I sold him were pasted on the record the wrong way round - Merci beaucoup!!

Well, what did you expect for not mentioning a major fault in condition? 5 stars?

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Send an distant mate around and get him to get the record Subject it to some heat till it expands then shove it up his POOPER SHOOTER.

Make him bleed a bit , might make him be a bit more honest/ cooperative and realise were in this for the soul, not hardship.

Annon

Bugger my names on the post.

P.S. Only had 3 bad post experiences

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Send an distant mate around and get him to get the record Subject it to some heat till it expands then shove it up his POOPER SHOOTER.

Make him bleed a bit , might make him be a bit more honest/ cooperative and realise were in this for the soul, not hardship.

Annon

Bugger my names on the post.

P.S. Only had 3 bad post experiences

P.S. I now insist on international signed for to protect my reputation and it works, might dissuade higher bidders but it works as i'm protected.

there are some dodgy buyers/dealers out there.

Leave it to you to make your mind up.

Garry

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

You have 45 days from date of paypal payment to lodge a claim for non receipt. which is clearly the case here, whilst the seller has informed you of the delay he should not be asking for additional funds. he made the contract with Royal Mail, and all the details relating to the delay, so down to him to make the claim in regards to a refund, Not you as he has suggested.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!