Rarest Uk Sue 45S

NY Soul

I would guess that all their 45's were initially pressed up in the same numbers (maybe 1000 copies but thats a real shot in the dark).

However, lots of Sue 45's sold well in the immediate period after release OR over an extended period of a few years (Mockingbird; Thats How Heartaches Are Made; Its Gonna Work Out Fine; Daddy Rolling Stone; I Can't Stand It; Ya Ya; Harlem Shuffle; Little Piece of Leather; ETC). So all those would definitely have had 2nd / 3rd presses.

Of course not all copies of Sue 45's will have sold and I'd say that lots of unsold stock would have been junked in the late 60's / early 70's.

So its really a guessing game as to which (these days) are the rarest.

The factors being that amongst those 45's that sold in small quantities back in the day, which have had a lot of copies destroyed over the last 40 years.

It certainly can't be worked out from the prices each Sue 45 commands, as lots of the 'really rare' items will not be much sought after today (except by label completists).

Social source share

That's right Steve. Back, even in the early 70's, the one that Sue collectors wanted and needed was The Lamp Sisters "Woman With The Blues". I don't imagine things have changed much. Still a very hard record. Everyone had the Elbert's and Tommy Duncan's, Phil Upchurch and Fascinations etc. but 'Lamp Sisters' was the toughie.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I don't no if it is the rarest? but it is the most expensive TOM CAT you can buy close to £800, MICK SMMITH SOLD this copy.NICE ONE....He also had my BIG JAY McNEELY ON A RED & BLACK SUE LABEL. VERY RARE, ALSO RARE are DEMOS ????& ODD RECORDS LIKE MY EARLY FIRST ISSUE SUE WITH TRI CENTRE ABAIN VERY RARE TODAY, ALL NORTHERN SOUL ARE HARD & SOME OF THE R&B CLUB SOUNDS, A GREAT LABEL TO COLLECT BUT AVOID THE JUNK? :g: DAVE Kpost-13241-0-97072900-1360627943_thumb.jpost-13241-0-37978200-1360627513_thumb.j BOTH RARE BUT IN DIFFERANT WAYS?. Edited by dthedrug
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I don't no if it is the rarest? but it is the most expensive TOM CAT you can buy close to £800, MICK SMMITH SOLD this copy.NICE ONE....He also had my BIG JAY McNEELY ON A RED & BLACK SUE LABEL. VERY RARE, ALSO RARE are DEMOS ????& ODD RECORDS LIKE MY EARLY FIRST ISSUE SUE WITH TRI CENTRE ABAIN VERY RARE TODAY, ALL NORTHERN SOUL ARE HARD & SOME OF THE R&B CLUB SOUNDS, A GREAT LABEL TO COLLECT BUT AVOID THE JUNK? :g: DAVE Kpost-13241-0-97072900-1360627943_thumb.jpost-13241-0-37978200-1360627513_thumb.j BOTH RARE BUT IN DIFFERANT WAYS?.

Dave, can you post up a scan of the BIG JAY McNEELY ON A RED & BLACK SUE LABEL?

Social source share

I sold one last year - Willie Mae Thornton Tom Cat. It's a record I found in Mile End for 10p in the early 80s.

It was sitting on my shelf doing absolutely nothing......so a UK collector needed it for his collection.

Yeah and I'm still waiting for buyer and seller to buy me a drink for setting it up... :lol:

Social source share

Dave, can you post up a scan of the BIG JAY McNEELY ON A RED & BLACK SUE LABEL?

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.....Wish I could, but Mick Smith had it of me 10 years ago, maybe for his collection. more likely he sold it on? however I got the record from NIGEL in NOTTS who imports from JA, where there is yellow the color was red, and where it was red it was black, the record had UK stamped matrix the label was black & red BOW TIE STYLE, :thumbup: Makes me wonder what else was issued like this? :rofl: DAVE K
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.....Wish I could, but Mick Smith had it of me 10 years ago, maybe for his collection. more likely he sold it on? however I got the record from NIGEL in NOTTS who imports from JA, where there is yellow the color was red, and where it was red it was black, the record had UK stamped matrix the label was black & red BOW TIE STYLE, :thumbup: Makes me wonder what else was issued like this? :rofl: DAVE K

So, was it really a UK release then? Or perhaps, a UK pressing for export to Jamaica?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

According to Brian Rae there's 100% DEFO a UK Sue EP (believe it's even in the shot on that window display pic from a record shop in London in the 60s) of Jackie Day with a PICTURE SLEEVE (yes I know it's easy-ish without the sleeve) - but no-one's seen it.

Gerri Hall 'Who Can I Run To' came out too I believe - don't know how rare that is, but it's the DB's.

Dx

Social source share

So, was it really a UK release then? Or perhaps, a UK pressing for export to Jamaica?

:hatsoff2: HI A good question 100% UK stamper poss JA label? but def UK, A bit like BOB & EARL HARLEM SHUFFLE pink ISLAND, I had a white label of this release, look at the matrix and it was stamped with the same stamper that did the SUE release, so did I have a SUE Blank? looked great, but I suppose as Pete Smith says anyone can make a blank label, and pink Island copies aren't rare? :thumbup: DAVE k
Social source share

According to Brian Rae there's 100% DEFO a UK Sue EP (believe it's even in the shot on that window display pic from a record shop in London in the 60s) of Jackie Day with a PICTURE SLEEVE (yes I know it's easy-ish without the sleeve) - but no-one's seen it.

Gerri Hall 'Who Can I Run To' came out too I believe - don't know how rare that is, but it's the DB's.

Dx

Gerri Hall never came out, not even as a test pressing - it's down on the NewSingles release sheets but never appeared a la Volumes on Pama. Another Sue 45 that never came out was Incense by The Anglos.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We have 50 UK Sue 45's up for auction on the 7th March including quite a few of those mentioned above (no Willie Mae Thornton though!)

Catalogue will be online from Friday 15th with images for all lots. Will post a link when it is up and ready for viewing.

I can send a list of the SUE 45's through in advance if anybody is interested.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

According to Brian Rae there's 100% DEFO a UK Sue EP (believe it's even in the shot on that window display pic from a record shop in London in the 60s) of Jackie Day with a PICTURE SLEEVE (yes I know it's easy-ish without the sleeve) - but no-one's seen it.Gerri Hall 'Who Can I Run To' came out too I believe - don't know how rare that is, but it's the DB's. Hello Dave and Pete, Hope you are both well. Here's some scans from the Sue EP that Brian's most likely referring to. As you can see both sides of the Jackie Day 45 are on the sleeve credits but on the actual EP the J.D. tracks have been replaced by two from The Intentions! Don't know why the J.D. tracks got pulled, but ZZ Hill is US Kent 453 and The Intentions is US Kent 455 so maybe they changed em for the next available release from the US catalog. I sold this last year on Ebay and imo is the rarest UK Sue 45.( Yeah I know its an EP but it's 7"and plays at 45 rpm!) . ATB John Kinganpost-10287-0-00601600-1335893126_thumb.jpgpost-10287-0-27797900-1335893114_thumb.jpgpost-10287-0-85002800-1335893141_thumb.jpgpost-10287-0-80570600-1335893163_thumb.jpgDx
Edited by dunmiedin
Social source share

Guest oldsouliedavid

If anyone is selling any UK Sue let me know.

Best

Graham

That’s how hartaches are made Washington Baby Sue 302

Gonna work out fine Turner Ike & Tina Sue 306

Send for me George Barbara Sue 316

Hurt by Love Foxx Inez Sue 323

That’s my girl Kenner Chris Sue 351

I've got a claim on you baby Evertt Betty Sue 352

Tu-ber-cu-lucas and the sinus blues Huey Piano Smith Sue 364

Harlem Shuffle Bob & Earl Sue 374

A little pice of leather Elbert Donnie Sue 377

Rockin robin Day Bobby Sue 388

Dance, dance, dance Duncan Tommy Sue 4002

You can't sit Down Phil Upchurch Combo Sue 4005

Billy's bag Preston Billy Sue 4012

The right kind Jaybirds Sue 4013

So fine Santeells Sue 4020

Bless your heart Roy Milton Sue 4021

Oh how Happy Shades of Blue Sue 4022

Another kind of fellow Marcelle Lydia Sue 4025

King without a throne Simone Sugar Sue 4029

Keep my woman home White Danny Sue 4031

Sockin' 1,2,3,4 Roberts John Sue 4042

Stronger Jones Thelma Sue 4047

Girls are out to get you Fasinations Sue 4049

I have all of the above for sale let me Know if interested in any

Social source share

We have 50 UK Sue 45's up for auction on the 7th March including quite a few of those mentioned above (no Willie Mae Thornton though!)

Catalogue will be online from Friday 15th with images for all lots. Will post a link when it is up and ready for viewing.

I can send a list of the SUE 45's through in advance if anybody is interested.

Cheers

Paul

Please send me the listing of what is up for auction.

Best

Graham

Social source share

Hope you are doing fine John. I believe it was all Jackie Day and certainly had a pic on the cover (like the french one - can't even seem top track down my copy of the French book to check what THAT one looked like) - but it was a long while back we were discussing it and an awful lot of brain cells have been fried to a crisp since then.

Dx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!