Lee Charles Compilation Anyone?

Jim Elliott

What with all the recent (and not so) cd's of the likes of George Jackson, Darrow and so on I wondered if anyone ever had considered one of Chicago's backroom heros in the shape of the late Lee Charles for a comp.

A strange cat in that, along with others such as Willie Tee, Richard Caiton and Ty Karim had a moderate body of work, all of which is/was bloody superb.

But then theres all the 'Fountain' scene he was connected to with Jerry and Billy Butler, Terry Callier, Larry Wade et al, as well as penning the odd tune or three inc 'I've learned about life'. To think of some unreleased Revue/Dakar/Bamboo gems hidden away on this very underated dude keeps me up nights.

Other than a great article and discog about 10 years ago now in SOS infos a bit scarce also, shame, a real unsung hero.

But then again, what's new eh?

Hopeful,

Stoke On Trent

(Come on Ady!)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Nice to know there are at least a few of us who appreciate just how good Lee Charles was.

Hardly a duff track from the man and like yourself it would be wonderful to hear what, if anything, remains in the can

Thanks for the initial post, it restores my sanity :thumbsup:

"Someone, Somewhere" I would say is my personal fave from the man

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Interesting about the Gospel Chimes, they were on Carmen Murphy's Hob label early / mid 60s. I'll dig out the albums and see what I can find out about Lee on there.

Remember reading a snippet about LC and the Gospel Chimes only a few months ago Steve. Would be interested to hear if it's correct

Just googled "GOSPEL CHIMES" "LEE CHARLES" and quite a few hits come up with the surname Neely

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I think it’ll be great as he's got enough released output for a full CD, but would expect due to his recordings being on seven different labels (counting Invictus/Hot Was as two) with many different writers, the gaining of rights to put out a CD could be problematic. Also for all the enthusiasm we all have, I wouldn’t expect it to sell in volume as it spans a couple of genre’s so might detract people from buying it.

Social source share

That said, several of Lee's tracks have been released by Kent in the very dim and distant past,

'Never want to lose my sweet thing', 'Wrong number', 'Then would you love me' and the superb 'It's all over between us' all had outings on Kent albums in the 80's so possibly clinching the deal may not be too hard (altho that was a long time ago now). It would only take an unreleased track of quality to wake up the chinstrokers (dream on Jim).

I think it would appeal, much like the Spencer Wiggins cd did which also spans several genres.

That said, we had the luxury of Spencer over here plugging the thing!

Oh to have the same with Lee Charles.

'Someone, Somewhere' live? Yes please!

RIP Lee.

Social source share

Interesting article, but no mention of an LP "The hits of Barry White" released in 1978 on the Chevron label, which I'd always assumed was by him, perhaps it's another Lee Charles then?

P.S. It contains a fabulous version of "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby"

https://www.discogs.c...release/2408330

My personal favourite of Lee's would be the brilliant "I get high on my baby's love" on Bamboo.

Edited by phillyDaveG
Social source share

Dave am not sure at all it's the same guy. There was another one who had an LP oN Decca as well I think early 60s - a sort of cover versions thing. Dim and distant memory cos I wrote and researched that article ten years ago+ now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Lee Charles Nealy featured on Gospel Chimes tracks on Savoy, HOB & Atlantic.

However the group had a number of lead singers over that period (Jessy Dixon, Carl Beans -- not the Motown gay guy, etc).

The LP's Lee features on didn't usually detail who was singing lead on the group's tracks unfortunately (lots of gospel albums did back then).

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

If you view the following clip on Youtube itself theres a comment that this is Lee Charles on lead. Although difficult to tell as gospel is a completely different style of singing but although it's only a minor snippet listen to the end at 1.46 when he sings the word "more" .. that sounds like pure Lee Charles to me

Social source share

It'd be a great idea but the licensing would be a nightmare and probably quite costly. Demon have the Invictus/Hot Wax recordings and potential access to the Brunswick and Bamboo repertoire but Universal have the Revue recordings and I think you'd need them for sure. Lee Charles would suit a Backbeats release but I wouldn't be able to licence in the Universal stuff as that would push the dealer price up. Could be one for Kent?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Lee Charles Nealy featured on Gospel Chimes tracks on Savoy, HOB & Atlantic.

However the group had a number of lead singers over that period (Jessy Dixon, Carl Beans -- not the Motown gay guy, etc).

The LP's Lee features on didn't usually detail who was singing lead on the group's tracks unfortunately (lots of gospel albums did back then).

The Gospel Chimes were Jessy Dixon's group Roburt. I've listened to their Hob albums this morning and there seems to be quite a few lead singers on those recordings (including James Cleveland, Dixon, Claude Timons and now Lee Charles!) and it would take a while to work out who was who and where Lee was, but interesting that he sang with them and is on their recordings. There is no mention of him on the albums since the Chimes were recording all of Jessy's songs and the liner notes are just a review of the tracks for putative record buyers.

It also opens up the possibility of the Riverside LP of Lee Charles singing spirituals also being our man as well.....

Good addition to the Lee Charles story!

PS: Dave, the Barry White Lee Charles is a UK guy isn't he?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!