Northern Soul Film

Has anyone seen the film that has won a £20000 prize for its maker. Apparently about Northern Soul, set in Dundee, that then evolves into the Rave scene? Mentioned on the Beeb this morning.

Its called Long After Tonight is all Over. Surely not in the same class as Once Upon A Time In Wigan?

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Has anyone seen the film that has won a £20000 prize for its maker. Apparently about Northern Soul, set in Dundee, that then evolves into the Rave scene? Mentioned on the Beeb this morning.

Its called Long After Tonight is all Over. Surely not in the same class as Once Upon A Time In Wigan?

Link to more info !!!

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4966272.stm

Social source share

Is there only room for one dramatic representation of Northern Soul?

The film that won the Beck's prize has been shown in Dundee where it was set and filmed in a hall which had been an NS venue.

Long After Tonight was shown at Genna's earlier this year so perhaps some of the Dundee crowd might comment.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24257

and for those readers who don't know much about Northern Soul here's a helpful article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/westmidland...hern_soul.shtml

Edited by FrankM
Social source share

Guest espo

The only thing i know to have evolved out of Dundee is our lasses arse-----wonder if she could win a competition with it?

Social source share

Anyone seen it? Just won a prize according to the BBC - Northern Soul film at a church hall in Scotland.

Is it available to view online????

Social source share

Guest rachel

Anyone seen it? Just won a prize according to the BBC - Northern Soul film at a church hall in Scotland.

It was displayed at the Dundee Contemporary Arts centre last year - really good atmospheric piece.

Social source share

Be interesting to know if this film is going to do the rounds, perhaps in indepentent cinemas.... or if it is to be shown on TV.... or even if it will it go straight to DVD....

Anybody know ????....

p.s. talking of people knowing.... I had to have a chuckle at this bit of a quote below....

and for those readers who don't know much about Northern Soul here's a helpful article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/westmidland...hern_soul.shtml

....because if us readers on here don't know much about NS by now then I suppose we never will :thumbsup: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

It was displayed at the Dundee Contemporary Arts centre last year - really good atmospheric piece.

Weren't there soulies bussed up to the hall and made to dance to church organ renditions of well known soul anthems??? I think a few SS'ers made the trek up there.........it would be interesting to find out. The article also appeared in the Independent and Metro this morning. Jo

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

the organ rendition was a seperate piece in relation to the juxtaposition between the church and the music played therein ... no dancers had to dance to the organ music ...

the piece itself is about 10 minutes long and is an artistic piece rather than a "film " and matt himself is a really nice bloke

DundeeDavie

Social source share

Great news for Mat Stokes,he put the thing together,me and many others took part in the filming..Its gonna be shown at art review in Newcastle in June...Wil get more info...Not sure if Matt wants it shown in other places yet???? it would be booted before he had chance to show it blush.gif ...

Social source share

Congratulations to Matt and everyone at the DCA - great to see the northern scene feature in a conceptual art prize. Modern art with an oldies title featuring dancers from all across Uk. Fantastic.

Well you would say that wouldn't you as probably the only person here to appear with Bernard Levin.

Read it in the Guardian yesterday and today.What on earth for!!??

Anyway next time at Whalley and Billington Brass Band Club we've got Melvyn Bragg spinning some of his favourite oldies and Damien Hirst is going to saw a copy of Al Williams in half and then auction it on Ebay as VG+. JumpingJoan Bakewell will not be appearing as she's promoting her new Northern Price Guide.

ROD

Social source share

Well you would say that wouldn't you as probably the only person here to appear with Bernard Levin.

Read it in the Guardian yesterday and today.What on earth for!!??

Anyway next time at Whalley and Billington Brass Band Club we've got Melvyn Bragg spinning some of his favourite oldies and Damien Hirst is going to saw a copy of Al Williams in half and then auction it on Ebay as VG+. JumpingJoan Bakewell will not be appearing as she's promoting her new Northern Price Guide.

ROD

Hi Rod you will read the Guardian....I agree what for? Only kidding.....think I am due to DJ at Whalley and Billington Brass Band Club.......SOON....ATB Stevie z

Social source share

Im breathless with anticipation although more likely to be emphysema.

ROD

Hi Rod ,just read this CRYPTIC clue thumbsup.gif Whom ,have you replied to?Please be more specific.If I have understood your collusion then .........I am rightATB Steve

Social source share

the piece itself is about 10 minutes long and is an artistic piece rather than a "film " and matt himself is a really nice bloke

DundeeDavie

As Davie said the film is just under 10 minutes long but the version shown at Gennas anniversary was an unedited cut which ran for just under an hour thumbsup.gif

soulmac.

Social source share

Hi Rod ,just read this CRYPTIC clue thumbsup.gif Whom ,have you replied to?Please be more specific.If I have understood your collusion then .........I am rightATB Steve

Yes, it was in reply to the threat of your impending spot.

£20,000 prize although up against stiff competition in the form of a collection of size 13 shoes. Maybe £600 Million per year in Government Arts funding plus 2 Billion through lottery grants since that started. Then private sponsorship and awards like the Turner Prize. Of course it provides jobs. Bet ya that guy who sells the tickets at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool is on a good screw.

How are the guys in Manchester selling the Big Issue. Still one every hundred yards? And that Save the Children are a nuisance always asking me to give more. I wonder where we could possibly get some extra cash to tackle some of these problems. Better ask the chattering classes really cos they know where the priorities lie.

Here's one of the panel, Yinka Shonibare [?], who awarded the prize

" a nostalgic recreation of a moment in the history of rave; an audience going dancing, the rituals involved in that, the group euphoria"

Obviously not been to Whalley and Billington Brass Band Club on a wet Friday In March.

Did you see those old films from beginning of 1900's shown on TV recently where the people were in awe of seeing themselves depicted on screen. I would have sworn they'd all be dead by now but maybe not.

Some primitive cultures objected to being used and photographed. They said it took their souls. I think they were probably right.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

moldie,

what you on about?

i merged post No 5 to this thread as it was identical in content to an already running thread. why would we want 2 threads running about the same topic on the same day?

please send me a pm if you feel the need to reply to this post. lets keep it offline.

Shane

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to the point of this thread.

Saw the film at the weekend and my verdict?

Fantastic piece of art. Very atmospheric, well worth watching and prize was well deserved.

So there!

Shaz.

Social source share

Yes, it was in reply to the threat of your impending spot.

£20,000 prize although up against stiff competition in the form of a collection of size 13 shoes. Maybe £600 Million per year in Government Arts funding plus 2 Billion through lottery grants since that started. Then private sponsorship and awards like the Turner Prize. Of course it provides jobs. Bet ya that guy who sells the tickets at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool is on a good screw.

How are the guys in Manchester selling the Big Issue. Still one every hundred yards? And that Save the Children are a nuisance always asking me to give more. I wonder where we could possibly get some extra cash to tackle some of these problems. Better ask the chattering classes really cos they know where the priorities lie.

Here's one of the panel, Yinka Shonibare [?], who awarded the prize

" a nostalgic recreation of a moment in the history of rave; an audience going dancing, the rituals involved in that, the group euphoria"

Obviously not been to Whalley and Billington Brass Band Club on a wet Friday In March.

Did you see those old films from beginning of 1900's shown on TV recently where the people were in awe of seeing themselves depicted on screen. I would have sworn they'd all be dead by now but maybe not.

Some primitive cultures objected to being used and photographed. They said it took their souls. I think they were probably right.

ROD

:thumbsup:blush.gif:lol::D or is it PMSL?

Social source share

Getting back to the point of this thread.

Saw the film at the weekend and my verdict?

Fantastic piece of art. Very atmospheric, well worth watching and prize was well deserved.

So there!

Shaz.

I agree Shaz. Great for the scene. Great for the DCA who put money into a film about northern dancers. And great for the city of Dundee which is a mere 18 miles from Perth - home of the Soulful Saints.

Okay while I'm on a roll name the Perth/Dundee band that were the first white band to go to number 1 in the Black American Charts, and for a bonus, name the answer record to their big hit, which subsequently went big on the 'rare groove' scene.

Social source share

I agree Shaz. Great for the scene. Great for the DCA who put money into a film about northern dancers. And great for the city of Dundee which is a mere 18 miles from Perth - home of the Soulful Saints.

Okay while I'm on a roll name the Perth/Dundee band that were the first white band to go to number 1 in the Black American Charts, and for a bonus, name the answer record to their big hit, which subsequently went big on the 'rare groove' scene.

Was it Average White band - Pick up the Pieces?

Jordi

Social source share

Wasn't it a response from James Brown in the guise of The Above Average Black Band.

Can't remember the title now might have been Pick up the pieces one by one, might not have been. The old brain's a bit fuddled.

Manus

Social source share

Wasn't it a response from James Brown in the guise of The Above Average Black Band.

Can't remember the title now might have been Pick up the pieces one by one, might not have been. The old brain's a bit fuddled.

Manus

I'll second the above. And my Brain's fuddled too but I had this single.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Anyone seen it? Just won a prize according to the BBC. Is it available to view online????

...What, esbo's lass' arse? I should hope not!

TONE :unsure::lol::D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert