John Manships Auction Results 6-2-2013

JOE TORQUAY

7758sm.jpg

Soul Bros Inc.

Pyramid

George Brown dispenses Northern Soul bliss in overwhelming amounts!

Nowt, I can say will make you want ownership more, than you already do…

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 839.00

7756sm.jpg

Marvelettes

Sugar Never Been As Sweet As You

What went wrong at Motown for their graceful-girl-gathering? The scheduled album never achieved release, as the team went through a mystifying baron 3 years of not having a release. Their last record release was in 1966 and achieved great success especially in Britain “These Things Will Keep Me Loving You” an ironic title as the powers that be, fell out of love with these ladies.

Disillusionment grew and in November 1969 band member Carolyn Gill married Monitors & future Temptations member Richard Street. Street persuaded Carolyn to give up the group, and founder member and sister Mildred Gill decided to disband the team. The Velvelettes were no more but they left us with some of the finest girl-group Motown Northern Soul ever created… and a clear run for revivals The Marvelettes

I hope found my senior-moment and all of the above interesting - but this 10” one-off is by The Marvelettes…

Before you today is an UNISSUED ORIGINAL June 1969 10” acetate. This UNIQUE platter encapsulates everything we loved about Motown..uplifting, vibrant and utterly stunning Northern Soul that always has the dancefloor trembling with delight!

Women always cause confusion in my head….

The winning bid was £ 1,679.00

7762sm.jpg

Little Ron And The Esquires

I Found Someone

You are viewing one of only a very few copies know to exist of this spectacular 1966 Los Angeles Northern Soul vocal group dancer.

An ear-catching bass guitar intro makes way for the towering horns that flood the air as Little Ron jumps on board for the fast track to the danceflloor! Relentless upbeat rhythm lays the platform for the Esquires enthusiasm to break lose. Little Ron shoots the wave after wave of brass only pausing for the well timed instrumental breaks.

This 45 has everything a real Northern Soul dancer should have plus many decades long validated rarity.

You will be asking yourself why you have hardly heard or never heard this belting mover out and about… I think hardly anyone owns a copy would be the simple answer.

The winning bid was £ 726.00

7760sm.jpg

Various Artists

Recorded Live On Stage

In all my years dealing & collecting UK Tamla Motown rarities I have never encountered the elusive album in such fine condition.

Both labels are perfect, vinyl we are struggling to even locate the merest surface blemish - staggeringly clean and still encased in the original inner sleeve! Front cover has only a light crease just under he M of the Marvelettes text (see scan) back cover is free of writing, stains or any other flaw just very merest age browning.

*you will not locate a finer copy

So witness Motown in the flesh

The winning bid was £ 84.00

Social source share

7757sm.jpg

Syl Johnson

Dresses Too Short

The rarely seen 1968 album in just sublime condition.

But rarity is only part of the reason why this LP is so highly-prized. Syl Johnson the man is why all serious soul collectors rave over this platter.

Syl the snarling master of the microphone does it up like very few artists can. He stands right up in the middle of the “five man wall” along with Bobby Bland, Walter Jackson, Jerry Bulter, Buddy Lamp as soul men with unmistakeable voices.

Check out the sample soundfile and absorb Syl, who with consummate ease transports his huge stage presence to vinyl. A more explosive 12 tracks you could not wish to hear; ranging from outrageous funk to gut wrenching Deep this Lp is a stand-out experience.

Condition is sublime!

The winning bid was £ 109.00

7765sm.jpg

Vibrations

'cause You're Mine C/w I Took An Overdose

This weeks Northern Soul classic offering in perfect condition is the dead-cert hot-favourite for dance-floor-invasion, as the matching of Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff to Chicago’s most-rowdy pays off big-time.

Especially selected for the neurotic about perfection, the O C D Northern Soul collector - you will not locate a better copy.

This offering has never hear of Northern Soul

The winning bid was £ 209.00

7766sm.jpg

Pages

Heartaches & Pain C/w Mack

The genuine authentic original press!

Soundfile will do all the talking required for a scramble for ownership..

except for the FUNKY amongst you may like to also check out the flip side of this Michigan Monster!

The winning bid was £ 367.00

7755sm.jpg

Twisted Wheel Mail Shot

Spring 1969 March, April, May

The interest in the Twisted has never ever been greater. This iconic All Night Clubs reputation and admiration has spanned full 5 decades. Before you today is the Spring 1969 “forthcoming attractions” flyer; astonishingly still married to the original envelope it was mailed in.

Interestingly on 22nd. of March the 8 piece gathering of the G-Clefs appeared live, a group who have no obvious Northern Soul connection but I bet you they set the place alight - the sound file is their only NS offering from 1962.

This flyer just begs to hang on your wall to marked the passing of this unparalleled MOD meeting place…

Personally I’m gonna make a Tee Shirt..

PS check out the Postmark requesting you the “SHIP OUT OF THE PORT OF MANCHESTER” …how times have changed.

The winning bid was £ 11.00

Social source share

7763sm.jpg

Jimmy Ruffin

Don't Let Him Take Your Love From Me C/w Lonely Lonely Man I Am

Personally I think Jimmy’s 1968 version of the Temptations album track is every note as fine as “Gonna Give Her All The I’ve I’ve Got” or ” Farewell Is A Lonely Sound” etc. In fact it was right in the groove of what was happening for Jimmy after his big hit “Brokenhearted” but this recording fell absolutely flat both sides of the Atlantic.

Taking another listen, it’s sound fresh and ready for a surprise outing in an imaginative Motown set. I also like the laid-back take on the Velvelettes classic dance tune.

Or from a TMG collectors point of view, where are you gonna find a pristine 1968 Green and White DEMO with a white card sleeve autographed by the great man himself!

The winning bid was £ 128.00

7764sm.jpg

Prince Valiant & The Knights

Back Yard C/w Front Yard

From the same stable of the immortal Boo-Ga-Loo instrumental by The Dynatones - The Fife Piper, comes an equally enthralling Hammond instrumental but a 1000 times rarer!

Boogaloo / Funk DJ’s will love both sides orgasmic organ extravaganza. “Back Yard” is the more powerful dance tune, prompting and prodding you to move as the keyboard player swaggers through his stuff - fantastic Boo-Ga-Loo!

But do not overlooked the more considered B-side with flavors of “Coming Home Baby” wafting through the atmosphere..

A vital piece for the MOD DJ seeking something only a few jocks can boast of..

The winning bid was £ 59.00

7768sm.jpg

Maxine Brown

Oh No Not My Baby C/w You Upset My Soul

Soul Queen Of New York with her personal anthem from the cultured pens of Carol King & Gerry Goffin and the sturdy production skills of Luther Dixon.

The song became something of a “trust” anthem for girls during the 60s and perhaps Maxine’s best know recording to the masses! Record-story-telling at it’s best. As Maxine sings with hope, “You’re Not Like Those Other Guys” - “Oh No Not My Baby” in the end her loyalty is rewarded with a “Ring”

Before you today is the seldom seen and highly desirable 1964 UK WHITE DEMO in fine clean condition!

Rare and gorgeous…and such a classic tune!

The winning bid was £ 50.00

7759sm.jpg

Cheryl Ann

I Can't Let Him C/w Goodbye Baby

Stan Vincent is not a name tat jumps to mind as a great Soul writer producer. But when yo consider the awesome Five Stairsteps “Oooh Child” or the killer Northern Soul vocal group dancer by The Notations “You Should Know” on Sue. You’ll realize this guy made a huge contribution to non-commercial Soul Music. Both records and many more he wrote and produced.

So now we know why Cheryl Ann a cute blonde captured the ears, hearts & feet of Cleethorpes Pier faithful in 1975/76 blue-eyed but guided by a man with a penchant for the soul-sound.

At one stage it rose to be no. 1 Pier girl tune of the day, later to be toppled by Tamala Lewis. But throughout all it’s time, remained seriously hard to acquire!

Today it’s even harder, take a listen, forget she’s white, and you will hear a soulful side that may have passed you by before..NS dancability has never been in question.

The winning bid was £ 312.00

Social source share

7767sm.jpg

Combined Forces

Colors Are Real C/w

Listen and melt!

Seriously RARE Cincinnati, Ohio sweet soul trophy portraying harmonies of the very highest order!

Dreamy, sultry vocals take you on a trip to lush-soul-land where dance beats are not required to make you feel oh-so good! Just an outrageously precise mix of vocals and desire serves up Sweet Soul Heaven!

Too Much!

Flipside injects a subtle funky edge to the proceedings as the Hi-Tension Band bring in the horns!

Two wonderful sides - one excruciating tricky 45 to snare!

This copy has a few light surface marks - check out the double-sound-file lifted directly off this disc it plays clean and both labels are flawless

The winning bid was £ 50.00

7761sm.jpg

Tarheel Slim & Little Ann

You Make Me Feel So Good C/w Got To Keep On Lovin' You

SUE collectors will not need reminding # 390 is one of the very hard ones to capture.

The pairing of Tarheel & Little Ann never fails to deliver a persuasive performance. This 1964 New York session is no exception, with the gruff throaty male vocal and the lively Soul-Sister knifelike counter-choral making the perfect blend for a hipshakin’ slab of Northern Soul R&B.

Surprisingly this never took off in the English 60s all night clubs, consequently being RARE from almost day one and to this day remaining mostly unknown.

It’s one for the SUE completer or the Twisted Wheel revival DJ who wants to air something that was perhaps not but should have been, spun at the time.

The value at this moment though, hinges on the sheer rarity and the oh so near PERFECT condition.

The winning bid was £ 77.00

Social source share

7758sm.jpg

Soul Bros Inc.

Pyramid

George Brown dispenses Northern Soul bliss in overwhelming amounts!

Nowt, I can say will make you want ownership more, than you already do…

The winning bid was £ 839.00

I try not to comment on these auction results usuaLly....but ?!

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

I really don't agree with it being strange soul bros is going for a lot of money, rare enough 45 and has quality, harmony and atmosphere in abundance.

For me its way more strange someone would pay money for stuff like brooks bros, vonceil myers, frank wilson and jr mccants (his rare one, the other is waaay better).. But each to their own as always i guess ;)

Leo

Social source share

Fcukin madness

£900 for this -

I could buy tons of better soul records for half this amount

Fcukin madness

its fcukin madness every week when Manship's auction ends 'crazy price's for some records.

Social source share

I really don't agree with it being strange soul bros is going for a lot of money, rare enough 45 and has quality, harmony and atmosphere in abundance.

For me its way more strange someone would pay money for stuff like brooks bros, vonceil myers, frank wilson and jr mccants (his rare one, the other is waaay better).. But each to their own as always i guess ;)

Leo

Sacrilege! Brooks Bros is absolutely fantastic IMO.

Social source share

The Brooks Bros, is 'ok' but never REALLY hit the mark for me, I feel if it was a cheap record it would have been forgotten a long time ago. Sorry 'phild' - we differ slightly on this one, go and listen to it again with a negative attitude, and see if ya don't change ya mind :D

'Rip off' I think was just aimed at the price and not at John Manship, but I expect you have to be 'ultra aware' of these things Chalky, just in case.

Pyramid going by 'sound alone' (forgetting how rare it may be) is worth it, in comparison to others - That's if all records were priced just by what they sounded like, with just my taste being the grading :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

JM obviously values it at that, bit out of order for Benji to accuse him of what he is accusing him of don't you think?

Could he also be auctioning the item on behalf of someone else?, allways makes me laugh comments like that about Johns auction prices, maybe he should have a pop up saying. Excuse me I think you`ve bid too far :lol: :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This one (auction copy) was mint, the one on John's site isn't. Neither did John Manship set the price of the auction copy, the buyer did.

What you are saying can be construed as being libellous?

"rip-off" didn't quite express what I tried to say, I'M sorry for that. Quite often I struggle to find the right words in english.

"taking the piss" is more appropriate. The set sale copy is desribed as " superb clean copy", to me that's a NM grade. So why is a NM copy set sale and a M copy worth auctioning?

Social source share

"rip-off" didn't quite express what I tried to say, I'M sorry for that. Quite often I struggle to find the right words in english.

"taking the piss" is more appropriate. The set sale copy is desribed as " superb clean copy", to me that's a NM grade. So why is a NM copy set sale and a M copy worth auctioning?

Could he also be auctioning the item on behalf of someone else?,
Social source share

As usual-it`s subjective.I don`t like Pyramid,so I don`t value it at all.If I found one it would be on sale immediately(especially now!)

Just like the Eddie Parker scenario-the more it`s talked up,the more money the parties involved end up with.Apart from the buyer!

JM is charged with obtaining the best price for his wares.People get swept up in the eulogies that he creates and the price only ever goes one way!

It`s always an entertaining read.

Edited by sir cumference
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Haha it always come down to taste and what you're willing to pay for a piece of plastic in the end..

For me i often feel its a shame all these stellar ballad-discs have these boring uptempo numbers on the flip sides :-D

Leo

Social source share

Haha it always come down to taste and what you're willing to pay for a piece of plastic in the end..

For me i often feel its a shame all these stellar ballad-discs have these boring uptempo numbers on the flip sides :-D

Leo

Quite funny you should say that.

A mate was round my house the other week raving about the other slower sides of some of my records.

In most cases i could never even remember playing the other side :)

Social source share

It won't be Johns record for sale, someone will have asked him to auction it and obviously he can't control what people want to pay for a record.

Social source share

It's interesting reading this thread, in that I'm surprised that what I regard as mere banter ,others regard as libellous.

However I suppose if you're putting your thoughts in writing in the public domain, you can leave yourself wide open.

Meself I can only dream of owning Pyramid, a tune I happen to love, along with many of the above.

Having just acquired a copy of The Star-tells "Falling in love" for a tenner , I'll have to make do with that.

'an T will give me jip about that too, if 'n she finds out.

Always find this thread a good read - thanks boys.

Edited by Mick Sway
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Having just acquired a copy of The Star-tells "Falling in love" for a tenner , I'll have to make do with that.

'an T will give me jip about that too, if 'n she finds out.

Always find this thread a good read - thanks boys.

Nowt wrong with Star-tells record Mick. As we keep saying on tuther thread fantastic records don't have to cost a packet.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Nothing wrong with Madness - Great Band! :D

he,s not on about madness len................fcuking madness are the west coast group totally different :D

Edited by gordon russell
swearing - please remember that people browse Soul Source on PCs that may have filters for foul language.
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

happens on moerers ebay auctions a lot. funny. they deserve all they get!

Agree.....you would of thought that if someone was looking for a certain record,they would be looking all over not just one auction site ...strange.......seen it happen with percy millem once, one on johns auction and one on ebay both at the same time, have a guess which one made double. why do people seem to want to pay more on johns site?

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The Brooks Bros, is 'ok' but never REALLY hit the mark for me, I feel if it was a cheap record it would have been forgotten a long time ago. Sorry 'phild' - we differ slightly on this one, go and listen to it again with a negative attitude, and see if ya don't change ya mind :D

if all records were priced just by what they sounded like, with just my taste being the grading :D

All the best,

If the above was the benchmark the scene would of been over years ago :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!