Three Before The Gates

Guest tommymac

Guest tommymac

ok i know this is a bit of a weird one, and probably been done before.but whats your final three records,i have already sorted mine. CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD ON MY WAY TO A BETTER PLACE. i hope so anyway lol, THE FUNK BROTHERS LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING, hopefully everybody up dancing not sitting being morbid as ive always had great sense of humor.and last one MARTHA REEVES NO ONE THERE. its up to you if any body wants to reply

Social source share

I will be asking our lass (who'll surely outlive me) to get these 4 played at my wake ........

Lorraine Ellison -- Stay With Me Baby

Artistics -- I'm Gonna Miss You

Astors -- Candy (named my daughter after this track & Candi Staton)

COD's -- Michael (named my son after this track)

SORRY ABOUT IT BEING 4 .... but can't play just 1 of the 2 for the kids).

I'd also have to ask for at least one gospel track to be spun, can't decide what yet (but probably the Gospel Classics or a vocal version of "Wade In The Water").

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest tommymac

4 is no problem roburt dont think my lot could sit still that long lol! did mine pete as had to go on monday to arrange the funeral. just got to pay for the dam thing now, am paying on the never never hope that dont mean never pay never buried lmao.

Social source share

4 is no problem roburt dont think my lot could sit still that long lol! did mine pete as had to go on monday to arrange the funeral. just got to pay for the dam thing now, am paying on the never never hope that dont mean never pay never buried lmao.

Mate I am so sorry, having to go arrange your own funeral, you've obviously come to terms with it but I don't think I could ever be half as brave.

Social source share

Guest tommymac

no need to be sorry pete have had a great life, and it aint finished yet am still getting out and about when we can.and having a great time,still love me soul and even try to dj when i can but am limited to the records the wife can carry lol.

Social source share

no need to be sorry pete have had a great life, and it aint finished yet am still getting out and about when we can.and having a great time,still love me soul and even try to dj when i can but am limited to the records the wife can carry lol.

I don't think we've ever met, which I feel is my loss, as you Sir, appear to be the dogs b#llocks. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I actually did this last week when making my will.

One was my all time favourite record, I Saw The Light by Todd Rundgren.

I'll keep the other two private for now.

Just thought it a coincidence you asking this when I'd just done it.

One of the best non soul records ever. Great choice Pete.
Social source share

Tommy I know you probably dont want the thread to be about your situation but I take my hat off to you.

Too many people are scared to talk about it I reckon, we'll all be following you before too long!

The only record I want played at my funeral is Sam Bowie - (Think Of) The Times We Had Together, after that just some quality soul that people can listen to while they get pissed and have a good time (hopefully) :thumbsup:

Social source share

PM'ing you on a serious note....but on a lighter note (given the her disposition) I threatened my mum that I was going to play these at her funeral when we were making her arrangements just before she died;

Ding dong the witch is dead - wizard of oz

Fire - the crazy world of arthur brown

Smoke gets in your eyes - the ink spots

Going underground - the jam !!!

Social source share

I've always said,

'land downunder'- by men at work.

just love the thought of all my mates and family, scratching there heads thinking, ' i didnt know he liked/ was interested in Australia. (im not) It would just throw everyone, and be the exact opposite of the kinda overblown pompous shite most people choose.

Social source share

f*ck it, they might be seen as "cheesy" or "handbaggers" tunes. Or even showing a lack of imagination... But i want the "3 Before 8" playing at my funeral. I love all three tunes, and they were some of the first soul tracks i ever listen too and i think they would be fitting for the occassion. They blow me away nearly every time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

f*ck it, they might be seen as "cheesy" or "handbaggers" tunes. Or even showing a lack of imagination... But i want the "3 Before 8" playing at my funeral. I love all three tunes, and they were some of the first soul tracks i ever listen too and i think they would be fitting for the occassion. They blow me away nearly every time.

I wanted I'm On My Way played on the condition that everyone clapped along to it a la Wigan especially on the fade out.

I didn't actually put that in the will but I wish I had :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest tommymac

thanks to you all for putting up replys i know its a serious subject but am loving the non serious side as well laughing loads at the wizard of oz and my mum would have loved that she had a wicked sense of humor.

Social source share

A bit too close to the bone for me I'm afraid, I'm off into hospital tomorrow to have my pacemaker changed as the battery is running down after nearly 9 years of sterling service. Not looking forward to it at all, hopefully I will be back out on Friday (on my feet not in a box).

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

A bit too close to the bone for me I'm afraid, I'm off into hospital tomorrow to have my pacemaker changed as the battery is running down after nearly 9 years of sterling service. Not looking forward to it at all, hopefully I will be back out on Friday (on my feet not in a box).

Cheers

Paul

All the best mate hope all goes well.

Social source share

Cheers

Paul

Take care matey. They will look after you.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

mine would be

Burning sensation.

I'm slowly molding (oh dear!)

both sides of tubuler bells played at slowest setting (well if i'm having a bad day so can they )

regards simon.

Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

It would have been Jimmy Mack (artist, not toon) for me to exit by, 'cept me Da booked me a berth above him.

Left-footers, eh?

Social source share

Hats off to anyone with the balls to talk about their demise with such courage . I too want the underated "I`m on my way to a better place " (what a tune !) next up I`m on my way " as the coffin passes through the curtains And then (a wicked )"my world is on fire " :wicked: as the burner is lit .

Tommy ,I hope the rest of your life is filled with LOVE and LOADS OF SOUL, and I hope your courage infects your family and friends and it is a honor to post on your thread :hatsoff2:

K.T.F. WiganBrian

Edited by wiganpotter
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I did this on a thread a few years ago and still as then Mine are going to be:

Aretha - I'll say a little prayer ..... one of mine and my fathers all time favourite records

and for fun just as the curtains close for me to go to the big burner i want belting out

Barbara Dane - Im on my way...what better for all to hear................ "Im on my way, and i wont turn back, Glory hallalujah, Im on my way"

As they all leave - a tune i loved as a kid the New Christy Minstrels - Three wheels on my waggon

Why not....i wont be there to get embarrassed only the kids...LOL

Geeoooooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Guest tommymac

some brilliant record choices and love the tounge in cheek choices. given me a right chuckle as well. thanks also for the kind words much apprecisted all the best to everyone TOM

Social source share

Always said that I want Jimmy Radcliffe to be played at my funeral, (played this at our wedding as the first dance track!) just love the track, don't know about the other two I would pick, probably Timi Yuro as it's just one of my all time favorites and I think that Prokofiev's 'Dance of the Knights' (which some will know as the theme from The Apprentice, but it's also the music played just before Sunderland walk out onto the pitch!)will be played as my coffin is carried into the Chapel.

Social source share

Cheers

Paul

Never knew Paul, hope everything goes well mate best wishes Dave

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I will be asking our lass (who'll surely outlive me) to get these 4 played at my wake ........

Lorraine Ellison -- Stay With Me Baby

Artistics -- I'm Gonna Miss You

Astors -- Candy (named my daughter after this track & Candi Staton)

COD's -- Michael (named my son after this track)

SORRY ABOUT IT BEING 4 .... but can't play just 1 of the 2 for the kids).

I'd also have to ask for at least one gospel track to be spun, can't decide what yet (but probably the Gospel Classics or a vocal version of "Wade In The Water").

How about The Salem Travelers Wade in the water, Top northern/gospel crossover it's on youtube,

Be gratefull if someone could post it as im a technophobe.

Thanks in advance

Garry

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Thanks Dave, This tune makes me neck tingle, Thanks to Hullsoul Martyn for introducing it to me.

Hope this helps your search Roburt.

Garry

P.S. Just paid for a M- from states, Cant wait

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

My old mate TC (Telford) passed away at home in the early hours after had just DJ 'd at the Lea Manor.

The tune he wanted playing and was played was at his funeral was

George Smith - I've Had It.

RIP Tony.

Spook

Hello again, I did not know TC but what a way to go, After making louds of soulies happy, Going home on a high, (thats how i feel when i've done a good spot) And that's the last thing i remember, What an epitaph.

Yes R.I.P. TC

Thanks for sharing this Dave.

Garry

Social source share

Tommy admire your attitude, it's one of the inevitable events we all have waiting and I think it's a topic that needs talking about, so credit to you for raising it

Planned mine years ago (but reckon its me job)

Marvin & Tammy - Ain't no mountain

Dusty Springfield - Whats it gonna be

Tobi legend - Time will pass you by

dancing optional - excessive drinking afterwards a must

have also left instructions where they are to plant my ashes

Hope you stay well and continue enjoying yourselves as you are

Take care

Chris xxxx

Social source share

Idris Muhammad - I'm a believer - just in case there is a god

At JBs (Phil Woods) funeral the room burst into applause as he went out to Time Will Pass You By, which just felt right

Last one isn't a soul one but told my daughter to play Smith and Burrows version of Wonderful Life

Steve L - if you go first I'm gonna play Mike Watson - Dig Your Kind at yours my friend.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!