Charity Events On The Increase?

Russoul1

but are guys saying that Russ is completely wrong? I read his post the way that he thinks there's an increasing number of sub-standard do's with sub-standard dj's promoted under the charity banner.

No,

I've always run sub-standard do's with sub-standard dj's for Charity.

It's the only way to do it, isn't it?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I can see how the banner "charity night" can bring passions to the boil .

I myself would like to see a full set of accounts when a function is labelled in aid of a charity. I also would think its in the promoters interest to actually see some sort of receipt.

I think the issue is that it can be open to lets say miss use as a disguise to get an event noticed with added clout where only the profit is donated this meaning Dj's are paid and expenses are covered , so the banner of " charity do" is basically a smoke screen to fund an event where basically what is left over be it 10p is passed to a charity

Edited by Anais nin
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I think I know what you mean Russ in your initial post and if it is that a "charity night" is organised to raise much welcomed funds to a worthy cause and then that the "charity night" then becomes a regular Soul Night where no money from future nights go to charity and have some people used that "charity night" to establish a regular ongoing event, then YES that has happened and yes I have noticed a big increase in "Charity Nights" but tbh I only ever attend the ones I have a connection too. Obviously lots of charity nights are only 1 offs and the odd few do a regular yearly event which I applaud and always will do,

Btw, walked up the high yesterday and was asked by a fella if I could spare 50p so he could buy a sandwich as he was cold and homeless, I told him quite rudely to F off. Reason being I see him 2 minutes earlier coming out of the bookies throwing a betting receipt away,

Also I bought 2 cans of dog food will pull ring lids as there are always 2 different homeless looking blokes who sit at different parts in town that have dogs, at least I know the dogs get a dinner that day as they always have a can of beer and both fellas always say thank you and are very very grateful for the can of dog food,

Everybody has a charity close to their heart they like to support and best of luck and well done to all those that give their time money and effort to help raise funds and long may it continue,

Social source share

Hi Russ , I know what your on about and probably who with respects too our area, there are genuine charity nights , but like you say certain people seem to use them as a spring board to start up yet another soul night :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by speedlimit
Social source share

ffs I think this thread typifies the reason I got off the so called soul scene years ago , a load of wannabees with underaverage record collections playing to a crowd of 50 something handbaggers all jostling to promote under whatever guise suites there egos . and its not just east anglia its all over the country . beam me up scotty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ffs I think this thread typifies the reason I got off the so called soul scene years ago , a load of wannabees with underaverage record collections playing to a crowd of 50 something handbaggers all jostling to promote under whatever guise suites there egos . and its not just east anglia its all over the country . beam me up scotty

You are very much missed Tony :yes:

Mind you, don't go out meself much now days.

Social source share

JUST FOR PAUL, AND HOPEFULLY THE END OFF HIS PARANOIA AND HE CAN CARRY ON DOING WHAT HES GOOD AT RAISING MONEY FOR CHARITY

1, paul does the word everywhere just mean peterborough? answer please

2. paul have i stated that charity if done for the right reasons is a bad thing? answer please

3. paul yes maybe the words tin pot and handbaggers were over the top but thats how i see it, do you think i mean you as "same people" and do you class

yourself or i would class you as a wantabee dj? answer please

4. paul you have never in my opinion ripped anybody off, and off course without saying you have the knowledge

5. paul this bit as it states; and disrespect established promotors/soul nites etc which THEY MIGHT clash or clash with does this apply to you? answer please

ALSO PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE NOT AT ANYTIME DELETED OR EDITED MY POSTINGS except to take a name off from your pm because i stick by which ive

written

hi all, is it me or is an increase of "charity events" popping up everywhere, im not saying charity is a bad thing if done for the right

reasons but im starting to wonder whether the charity word is just a way of another tin pot handbaggers soul nite to start up

usually with the same people involved including another batch of wantabee djs......ripping the paying punter of with there non

wealth of knowledge and disrespect for other established promotors/soul nites etc locally which they might clash or clash with

sorry if this offends anyone, but surely more people must notice the increase.....or is it just me?

ALSO I DID STATE IF I OFFEND ANYONE THEN IM SORRY but i thought it was a valid opinion, also a quick note for jez i hope this answers your questions too PAUL I DONT WANT A APOLOGY OR YOU TO EAT HUMBLE PIE WITH YOUR CUSTARD JUST DELETE YOUR POST REGARDS THE FREE ENTRY SNIPE PLEASE

Social source share

good idea

My spreadsheet from class of 72 that I know is difficult to follow

expenses listed as follows as £545

Income list below as £2145

profits £1600 split 4 ways

class of 72 expenses

PD 04-Jul STAMPS AND ENVELOPES 42

PD 02-Jul 3 PAINTINGS 60 CANVASS AND INKS

PD 01-Jul TABLE DECS 123 0 DONATION BY PD

PD 01-Jul TABLE CLOTHS 35

MB 06-Jul WRISTBANDS 60

PD 09-Jul STAMPS 5

PD 11-Jul STAMPS 7

PD 19-Jul STAMPS 5

PD 23-Jul STAMPS 5

PD 01-Jun STAMPS 10

PD 31-Aug STAMPS 10

PD 01-Sep STEWARDS 200

JEZ 20-Oct FUEL 15

PD STAMPS 5

PD ALAN DAY HOTEL

50 SUE HEY ALAN DAY HOTEL 6

HEADPHONES ? 30

EQUIPMENT..... NO FEE

DJS ---NO FEE

545 INCOME RAFFLE

950 DOOR 1095

£2045

PD DONATION 20

OLLY 80

INCOME 2145

EXPENDITURE 545

£1600

LETTERS FROM CHARITYS VIA CLASS OF 72 FB PAGE

https://www.facebook....nt_mall_comment

AND FINALLY PAUL WHY DO YOU NEED TO JUSTIFY WHAT YOU DO? BECAUSE THERES NO NEED OK :thumbsup:
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ok I'm going to look at this in a slightly different perspective. So your initial post were your personal views on the increase of 'new' soul nights being promoted by people who have no respect for the other promoters and use wannabee dj's? DONT YOU OR ANYONE THINK THIS COULD BE THE CASE OR IS THERE AS MANY SAY

"MORE DJS THAN PUNTERS"?

What threw me slightly was the ? at the end of the post. I presumed you were asking a question and hoped for some replies WELL ISNT THAT WHAT A FORUM IS FOR.

A DEBATE? I could have just replied with 'no' however your post deserved a more fitting riposte YOU COULD HAVE WOULD HAVE SAVED ALL THIS HASSLE YOUR CAUSING THATS HAD NOTHING TO DO / OR POINTED AT YOU.

I'm more than happy to be corrected and as always will apologies, however it would be helpful if you could offer me and others specific examples of the type of events you have asked people to comment on.I THINK THE WORD HANDBAGGER AND TIN POT... It was a very sweeping comment which due to the content was always going to ruffle a few feathers Russ, I DID STATE IF I OFFEND ANYONE IM SORRY, AGAIN ITS A DEBATE NOT EVERYONE HAVE DISAGREED AND I HAVE RESPECT FOR THE POSTERS WHO HAVE DONE CHARITY EVENTS FOR THE RIGHT REASONS AND DONT AGREE WITH MY OPINION Has dissai await your specifics and have the custard simmering to go with a large slice of humble pie I am more than happy to scoff if needs be.

END OFF MATTER
Social source share

Only just read this thread....

You may or may not know that I have, as part of my 50th, paid for and organised a charity soul event in Spalding... charity is related to illness afflicting family members...its registed and when its done I'll post up the figures....I only write this to dispell any thoughts that I was up to no good lol!

Have read the thread and can't be arsed to add anything as been up since 315am...looks like its been put to bed anyway....by the way I'm just an enthusiast not a wannabe....Nite x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Having read most of the postings all I can add is this. Having ran Motown and Soul nights for 16 years, I have experienced nights I have organised being hi-jacked by so called charity nights only to find it is for the local football clubs. The clash did have an impact on the night organised but hey-ho such is life. During the 16 years I have probably organised about 10 charity nights. These have benefited Cystic Fibrosis, Cancer Research, Childrens Hospital Ward and the Childrens Hospice (three times) The genorosity of soul people is truly wonderful. I took no money for expenses, all DJs would not take a penny and yes The Snake was probably played.

I am quite confident that each night was a success. The receipt from each charity was always displayed with a letter of thanks at the following soul night. But above all, the feeling of reward and achievement when you hand over that cheque is really priceless.

The words, oh by the grace of god, do really make you think !

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for the chat last Louise have deleted all the posts as requested, will cya tonight at the Fleet where you can buy me that Pint you owe me, chins up lass :thumbsup: and hang on in there.

Paul & Kay Donnelly.

ps....

One for your diaries...**OCTOBER 26TH 2013 THE CLASS OF '72 REUNION**.... full details of this year's charitable get together at Cobridge Territorial Army Centre Stoke coming soon via Jez Jones and Malc Burton

I'm not getting involved this year, indeed I advised Jez Jones yesterday I didn't want to DJ at the event. I'll be spending my spare time this year compiling a book simply called "TALES OF THE TORCH" where every penny I make from the book will be donated to the class of 72 / 2013 charity fund.

th_torchmepointingatsign.jpg

torch me pointing at sign.bmp

Edited by PaulDonnelly
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Had my head chewed a couple of years ago.....when l merely asked the question of one big charity event.....wheres the money? ...all hell broke loose.....everyone had a go at me.......never said a word to the promoter even though he had no explanation other than saying he,d made no money even though the event was rammed.....this event is still on,but the charity aspect has been quietly dropped....pobably because he makes no money and does it out of the goodness of his heart.....yeh right.

charity events are fine as long as the money goes to CHARITY and is seen to go to CHARITY......

If there is any controversy or hint of wrong doing surrounding an event....then folk from the soul scene/dj,s should as a matter of morality steer well clear.........but sadly this does not happen....except of course, me

What a wonderfull man,mr altruism himself who only wants the joy of seeing a packed event full of happy people,such is enough for he the mother theresa of the soul event scene.He sounds full of that sort of self righteous denial of someone caught on cctv with their hand in the till but still angrily insists he is innocent.You obviously hit the spotwith with what you said .
Social source share

Maybe off topic here but wasn't the torch chris burton, colin curtis, keith minshull, martyn ellis, johnny beggs, alan day ?? and if a "torch" do is to happen again then as many of the original torch line up be present ?

Just an observation no offence intended.

Chris Burton attends

Colin Curtiss and Keith have made it clear they do not wish to attend

Martyn Ellis RIP

Beggsey attends

Alan Day attends

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

this has annoyed me for reasons that will be come clear in a minute. most charities are probably suffering at the moment because of the economic climate, so anything raised to help them has to be a good thing. i understand about your annoyance about soul nights being started on the back of a charity do (its a bit naughty) but we need new blood bringing into the scene. and it is one way of doing it. for most of the last 8yrs i have along with friends run soul nights in west cumbria. and one night every year all proceeds are given to a charity.lately that charity has been to help cancer research. which due to the fact i have terminal cancer is a personal favorite.the money wont do me any good but if it saves one life after me, then the jobs a good un .RANT OVER

Hello my friend, You are a stalwart of what the scene is all about as soul is not about the proffit but in the satisfaction of making people dance to music they love.

I'm sorry to hear of your condition, I spent 12/1/2 years in medical corps and later became a paramedic but i still could not proffess to understand what you must be going through. And question the validity of legitimate fundraising events is disgusting.

Randy Cozens 6ts Rythm n soul society / 100 club, A good friend Said "oh lord what are you doing to me" When he was in the same position,

Fight to the end .

Garry Huxley

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Hello my friend, You are a stalwart of what the scene is all about as soul is not about the proffit but in the satisfaction of making people dance to music they love.

I'm sorry to hear of your condition, I spent 12/1/2 years in medical corps and later became a paramedic but i still could not proffess to understand what you must be going through. And question the validity of legitimate fundraising events is disgusting.

Randy Cozens 6ts Rythm n soul society / 100 club, A good friend Said "oh lord what are you doing to me" When he was in the same position,

Fight to the end .

Garry Huxley

P.S. He was buried with a copy of the Big Maybelle classic, Oh lord

Social source share

Guest tommymac

thanks garry, to be honest i try to ignore the dam thing until i have a bad day or the pain gets the better of me.and just get on with my life the best i can. sometimes i think its harder for my family and friends to deal with, than me. think its no good being into soul music to get rich dont think that would ever happen. just like to play my records out when i get the chance. if i get a few bob for it i dont mind. but if the promoter hasnt made enough money to cover ther cost i aint bothered about being paid. as you say its all about the music for me.thats a name and a half you dropped in there had lots of respect for randy the london scene wouldnt be as strong as it is without his input. all the best and take care TOM

Social source share

If someone wants to give their profits to Charity, then great, good on em. Unfortunately, this thread subject shows that ‘the good suffer for the bad’ and naturally the genuine people will immediately go on the defensive over such a sensitive issue. As far as I’m concerned, it is the business of the promoters and their conscience.

1) If you say it’s for Charity, make sure it is.

2) Don’t use the charity ‘excuse’ so you can put on an event when deep down, you damn well know the scene needs ‘another’ event like a shot in the head - If it’s genuinely for something personal, no probs.

I think most Charity events are genuine to be fair though - maybe some have been put on because someone’s got a bit excited about the Scene, so follows “Let’s put a Charity Event on” whilst not really thinking about it too much - on the face of it, there’s nothing wrong with that and I can forgive this kind of enthusiasm taking over folk.

Do you know what, if I felt I wanted to put on a Charity event, for whatever reason (family member maybe) Because of all of the above (that I have also been aware of for a long time) I would simply note it in very small print at the bottom of the flyer - in other words, I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it, so folk wouldn’t have any suspicions.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - I used to give £100.00 from the profits of The Embankment Club Soul Nights to Cancer Research - I never told anyone until now (for the sake of this thread) and have letters of thanks if anyone would like proof of this - No b*llox, you’ll have to trust me on that, I know I did, and that’s all that matters — I know my honour is intact!

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!