What Do You Do With Your Record Collection, Play It Or Just Store It?

Jim G

Imagine 10k+ LPs before you even start with the 45s & several thousand CDs. all in a 1 bed rabbit hutch. Not seen my walls for years lol!

Can you imagine the weight of those? I once bought 1500 albums off this old bloke just to get 200 singles, I lived in a 3rd floor flat and honestly after I'd carried maybe 6 or 700, I just put the rest back in the van and dumped them down the tip. I mean obviously as I was chucking them I kept anything that was of any use (mainly Elvis!) but I couldn't take any more lifting :lol:

Social source share

Well I have just turned 43 myself and my collecting is slowing right down..as I can see the same future that Pete is describing i'm not gonna keep paying sky high prices, I presume,when you were 35-40,every one else was too. Thats not been the case for me obviously.

Not really mate. When I came on board in 1974 in the wake of calamities like Wigan's Chosen Few, there were plenty of people 5 to 10 years older than me who were either leaving in disgust or were just hanging on until the "great rift" of 76-77 kind of forced them out. Those people are in their early 60s now. Everyone is a world unto himself, so though my record buying has slowed down at times it has also picked up from time to time, in an almost cyclical manner. If you're going to pay sky-high prices it's probably because you're after a certain sort of record but there are 1000s upon 1000s of sounds out there going cheap that can certainly satisfy my needs. It also depends how wide you cast your Soul net. Since hearing a deep soul ballads/midtempo set at a weekender lunchtime session over here (Areta Bilbao!!), I began to seek out that sort of stuff. Who knows, you might find yourself bitten by the bug again in years to come. From a personal point of view I know I'll still be acquiring vinyl in another ten, probably... if I'm still about. ;-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I probably fit into both, but differently (I hope) in mindset. Although very loosely in the DJ one, especially nowadays (no obvious comments from the floor please) and to stop me being tempted to DJ again I am considering seriously downsizing my 45's.

The warped mind of a collector.

However, off home to get naked and shout yipee!

Jock get yir naked body down to Easter Road, Fookin place needs a bit of excitement :(
Social source share

Not really mate. When I came on board in 1974 in the wake of calamities like Wigan's Chosen Few, there were plenty of people 5 to 10 years older than me who were either leaving in disgust or were just hanging on until the "great rift" of 76-77 kind of forced them out. Those people are in their early 60s now. Everyone is a world unto himself, so though my record buying has slowed down at times it has also picked up from time to time, in an almost cyclical manner. If you're going to pay sky-high prices it's probably because you're after a certain sort of record but there are 1000s upon 1000s of sounds out there going cheap that can certainly satisfy my needs. It also depends how wide you cast your Soul net. Since hearing a deep soul ballads/midtempo set at a weekender lunchtime session over here (Areta Bilbao!!), I began to seek out that sort of stuff. Who knows, you might find yourself bitten by the bug again in years to come. From a personal point of view I know I'll still be acquiring vinyl in another ten, probably... if I'm still about. ;-)

And thats exactly what we're talking about.

Anyway..doom and gloom over..we all gotta do,what keeps us going and long may it last :thumbup:

Edited by John A
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Listen to records most days even if only a few - still would prefer to put on vinyl rather than cds. Have about 1400 45's first 500 bought from ages of 15 - 25 - then the rest in last 15 years after 10 years not really buying. Buy what I like mainly northern and crossover / midtempo /deep - not precious about them - have always let my children play them - one day they will own them. Only problem now is with 2 daughters at university and a son heading in that direction no money to spend on records!!

Edited by douglaschip
Social source share

My passion for collecting vinyl has grown with my age TBH, and the last 10 years in particular have brought a more serious albeit interesting side to the hobby!

I collect most things "soulful" from the "Motor City" in both 45 and 33 RPM format, covering three decades (1960's-1980's) although the bulk are from the earlier era, and I store them alphabetically in label order in flight cases, and systematically alternate in playing through individual boxes on one of my "four days off" for at least 3-4 hours at a time,on a weekly basis. In all honesty whilst I have built up and then sold several collections (for various reasons) over the past four decades, I have never really paid that much attention to detail relating to the records source of origin, or any other background information other than the artist(e)s etc. until recent times, and as I may have mentioned in similar topics, I class myself as a "mature student" in the history of Detroit Soul music.....Whilst I have slowed down somewhat from a social perspective, with regard to attending Niters/Soul Nights, my appetite for shortening my vinyl wants list remains hungrier than ever..... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is a scenario I have a problem with.

When I go to do a new reggae podcast, I go through the records and pick 25 to 30 titles. The I record them one at a time on the deck with the built in cd drive, burn it, import the results into itunes and then export them into mixmeister to do the mix.

The thing is though, 25 of those 30 records will already be in itunes. In 3 minutes I could create the exact same playlist in itunes that it took me over an hour to do playing from vinyl.

So it seems a no brainer to do it the easy way.

It was different when I had two decks set up for recording, that was at least quite exciting to do a live mix, but now, unless I really need to hear those records, I'll do it via itunes. Though the podcast I did on monday was all done from freshly recorded vinyl, when I imported them into itunes naturally 99% of them were already there :lol:

Social source share

Guest tommymac

i wear my records out playing them thats what i bought them for. most are probably only worth ten pence now,lol and dont hold me to that, but will want twenty pence each when i come to sell em.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!