Fantasions - G.i.joe

robhallam

Tim Brown has one on auction just now - just recently listed and minimum bid £500

It's written by Popcorn Wylie. His Ala-King company is in on the publishing credits - but he's not credited for production or arrangement on the label - those credits go to others.

The auction write up says it's Barbara Acklin on vocals.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Why does everyone keep saying barbara acklin was a member? I doubt it and I think it's just speculation. Does anyone have any real evidence?

One went under the radar on ebay maybe 6 years ago for about $100 (maybe even less), I didn't even see it and Butch won it. I was so pissed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

First time I heard this was back in the early eighties - Richard Domar had it. He seemed to think (rightly or wrongly) that it was the only copy in the UK at the time. I also seem to think that he had had it a few years before, so his ownership could go back earlier.

As to the song, on hearing it, I was quite happy to not hear it again, didn't appeal to me at all. Think his copy went to someone like Tim Brown, or could have been Guy Hennegan.

I did start looking for it with the new fangled "Internet", purely in the hope of getting it cheap and selling it on for a profit. I saw a copy on Bay a fair few years ago, but at the time I only had a dial-up connection and I miss-timed my last minute bid (I had to go in 15 seconds from the end and that would usually get in with 2 - 5 seconds spare - but not this time). I can't remember if anyone else won it, or if it was $100 dollars at the end, so it may not be the same one Boba was talking about, as I seem to think it was more like ten or twelve years ago, rather than six.

Cheers

Mick

Just changed 90's to 80's - Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

First time I heard this was back in the very early nineties - Richard Domar had it. He seemed to think (rightly or wrongly) that it was the only copy in the UK at the time. I also seem to think that he had had it a few years before, so his ownership could go back to the eighties.

As to the song, on hearing it, I was quite happy to not hear it again, didn't appeal to me at all. Think his copy went to someone like Tim Brown, or could have been Guy Hennegan.

I did start looking for it with the new fangled "Internet", purely in the hope of getting it cheap and selling it on for a profit. I saw a copy on Bay a fair few years ago, but at the time I only had a dial-up connection and I miss-timed my last minute bid (I had to go in 15 seconds from the end and that would usually get in with 2 - 5 seconds spare - but not this time). I can't remember if anyone else won it, or if it was $100 dollars at the end, so it may not be the same one Boba was talking about, as I seem to think it was more like ten or twelve years ago, rather than six.

Cheers

Mick

richard domar had it back in 1984,it was in one of his catalogues priced at 200 quid with claims that it was the only copy in existance, this was the same catalogue that had the brooks brothers and the magnetics on sable priced at a fiver each which were snapped up by pete crampton

Social source share

richard domar had it back in 1984,it was in one of his catalogues priced at 200 quid with claims that it was the only copy in existance, this was the same catalogue that had the brooks brothers and the magnetics on sable priced at a fiver each which were snapped up by pete crampton

Was around well before 84.Recall hearing it in the later 70`s.Could have been the same copy?

Social source share

The tape I have of Guy playing it at the Old Vic is from Xmas '86 I think............perhaps he bought the Domar copy and hot-footed it round the corner to the Vic to spin it! LOL :lol:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Was around well before 84.Recall hearing it in the later 70`s.Could have been the same copy?

Un-likely, as there were two copies at Stafford, Guy's and mine, both of these came from Richard Popcorn Wylie in the late 70's/very early 80's. I first heard it on a tape that Martin Koppel sent me in the 70's, he said at the time it was the only copy known and he didn't want to give it up. So I think as with many of these stories things got mix and muddled, but it was know about in the 70's and was played extensively in the early 80's by both of us.

When I first got the tape I mentioned it to both Ian Clark and Ady Pountain, who both knew of it's existance, so again, think this story has been some what twisted over the years.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Could be Trev, I may have got my decades mixed up. In fact just remembered at the time he played it to me first, it WAS the early/mid 80's. We were going to some Soul do in Norton, Stourbridge on a regular basis at the time, and I was selling Scooter type records, which for me could only be 84/85. He played GI Joe there on more than one occasion.

I'll modify my original post.

Even with my miscalculation, it is clear that Domar's copy wasn't the first at the time, as Dave Thorley has pointed out with his and Guy's copies in the late 70's.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Could be Trev, I may have got my decades mixed up. In fact just remembered at the time he played it to me first, it WAS the early/mid 80's. We were going to some Soul do in Norton, Stourbridge on a regular basis at the time, and I was selling Scooter type records, which for me could only be 84/85. He played GI Joe there on more than one occasion.

I'll modify my original post.

Even with my miscalculation, it is clear that Domar's copy wasn't the first at the time, as Dave Thorley has pointed out with his and Guy's copies in the late 70's.

Cheers

Mick

I think Guy did get that copy off Richard Domar, he prob sold or traded it on.

Pete Crampton got the Brooks Brothers for £5 off Domar, but sure the Magnetics came from elsewhere (maybe from Tommo from Leicester?)

Social source share

Un-likely, as there were two copies at Stafford, Guy's and mine, both of these came from Richard Popcorn Wylie in the late 70's/very early 80's. I first heard it on a tape that Martin Koppel sent me in the 70's, he said at the time it was the only copy known and he didn't want to give it up. So I think as with many of these stories things got mix and muddled, but it was know about in the 70's and was played extensively in the early 80's by both of us.

When I first got the tape I mentioned it to both Ian Clark and Ady Pountain, who both knew of it's existance, so again, think this story has been some what twisted over the years.

dave, if you had forgotten, at stafford, i traded you the g.i. joe for that acetate, 'it takes a lot of living'
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Isn't it amazing that we can remember precisely where any specific record came from 10-20-30 years ago, who sold it, when we got it, who was around at the time we got it, but can only remember two of the three items we were asked to get from Sainsbury's yesterday..

Or is that just me...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!