Wants - Timewasters

Mark B

Guest Soultown andy

Yet again people can't be bothered to answer when you send them message re their wants that they listed, really pisses me off

I srarted the same thread a few weeks ago mark,it really pisses you off when you get no reply what so ever.They are either very ignorant or a bit thick,maybe both :wicked: .

Social source share

Lazy is a word I would use, there's no excuse for not doing it, perhaps a stern warning by mods if you fail to reply is maybe an idea.

Slightly off topic another thing that irks me is "PM me only" on wants and people posting up on the thread that they have one for sale, is this a sneaky sales ploy for people who can't be arsed PM'ing that person?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yet again people can't be bothered to answer when you send them message re their wants that they listed, really pisses me off

Deep breath. Relax. Again.

Im afraid there's nowt I can do about it. I cannot alter behaviour.

You can however leave feedback along lines of "Answered post and got no reply". After a suitable interval obviously.

Lets say they are weighing up options from offers. 7 days and no reply leave a negative.

And the correct way to answer any offers is included in the Wants guidelines.

ROD

Social source share

Is it really that serious because someone doesn't reply to you? I know it's rude and annoying but it's hardly a hanging offence. I write to them and never expect a reply, it's a bonus when they do reply, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

Pete, as usual, you bring sanity to the proceedings.

Those who are complaining obviously live their lives 24/7 on this website, brilliant as it is, and expect the rest of us to do the same while ignoring the fact that people sometimes innocently forget, people work and don't access the internet , people go away, people die, etc etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Could be right there ....once sold a house, exchanged on the monday the fella died on the wednesday ....nowt so queer as folk

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Lazy is a word I would use, there's no excuse for not doing it, perhaps a stern warning by mods if you fail to reply is maybe an idea.

Slightly off topic another thing that irks me is "PM me only" on wants and people posting up on the thread that they have one for sale, is this a sneaky sales ploy for people who can't be arsed PM'ing that person?

I will post on the wants thread that I have one for sale, because frequently the original "wanter" flakes but someone else will PM me. If the original poster wants to prevent someone from publicly posting on the thread, they can lock it. I've also bought records from sellers this way. Frequently when someone posts a want, it's a record that other people also want.

Social source share

Agree Mal, only giving a reason why the poster did dot sell anything from his list

Everyone is thinking it but I had the balls to post it

Apologies if it offends Keith, no harm intended, merely stating my opinion

Jim

Do you mean everybody's thinking it about Keith, or about dealers record prices in general?

This is how I price records.

Either: look in the price guide then knock a third off, or go on popsike, find all the sales and get an average price, then knock it down slightly, or look on soul source, see if the item sold, if it did, sell it for around that same price, if it didn't, knock £10 off the selling price.

Sometimes I go by my gut instinct, for example yesterday I had a stock copy of Wooden Nickels - Nobody But You, price guide says £150 but I knew I'd never had this before on an issue and it must be very rare, so I priced it higher than the price guide at £200 (actually took £190 on it).

So basically, if someone told me, personally, to reduce my prices, I'd have to question whether they were sane or not :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I agree, but he can charge what he likes for his own records, as can we...

people not getting back is a drag, but hey its part of selling, and something is only sold when you receive payment, so like Pete I don't try to get dragged into it.. that said I've only periodically sold my records, and this time round have been the biggest since I sold a collection in 99..

regular dealers must go through hell...

Mal

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

That means there's loads of them / or very rare,but they are in demand /or not,and nobody wants to part with them. :lol:

Last lot of wants I posted were IMO pretty common cheapish 45s.

I got one [thank you Kegsy] but nowt on the rest apart from another offered at twice the value which I declined.

I think it would be rather illuminating to post a want and then publish the prices that people asked.

ROD

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pete

I was only referring to Keith's prices that I seen on his last list

From what I have seen of your recent lists, I think your prices are very fair, and that my friend is how you records!

It's basic sales principle, you can price anything too high (cars, houses, records etc.), but there ain't no point if it doesn't sell

Better to price fairly, sell the record, get the money in, and move on to buy others and so on

As I see it, your years of experience clearly pays off as you shift your records and seem to have a great turnover, hence people look at your lists

I actually don't look at many people's lists now as I know they will be the same as the last months - full of good records, but vastly overpriced

Jim

I understand, thanks for explaining and the kind words.

I spend most of my time looking on ebay for 60's reggae stuff and I see people asking crazy prices for records in shocking condition, I wouldn't buy them if I was a millionaire, there's one on there I saw today by The Slickers on Blue Cat, a mint one is worth maybe £30, the guy has a no centre torn label one in VG minus and he wants £125....what planet does he live on??

Social source share

Last lot of wants I posted were IMO pretty common cheapish 45s.

I got one [thank you Kegsy] but nowt on the rest apart from another offered at twice the value which I declined.

I think it would be rather illuminating to post a want and then publish the prices that people asked.

ROD

I like it when someone emails me on the off chance asking if I've got a record, and by luck I do have one, so I write back and say yes, I"ve got one for £40 (inevitably cheaper than the last one they've been offered) and the guy comes back and says "will you do it for £30"? :lol:

Social source share

Pete

I was only referring to Keith's prices that I seen on his last list

From what I have seen of your recent lists, I think your prices are very fair, and that my friend is how you records!

It's basic sales principle, you can price anything too high (cars, houses, records etc.), but there ain't no point if it doesn't sell

Better to price fairly, sell the record, get the money in, and move on to buy others and so on

As I see it, your years of experience clearly pays off as you shift your records and seem to have a great turnover, hence people look at your lists

I actually don't look at many people's lists now as I know they will be the same as the last months - full of good records, but vastly overpriced

Jim

Have you seen the price of that Bobby Paris just listed? :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I understand, thanks for explaining and the kind words.

I spend most of my time looking on ebay for 60's reggae stuff and I see people asking crazy prices for records in shocking condition, I wouldn't buy them if I was a millionaire, there's one on there I saw today by The Slickers on Blue Cat, a mint one is worth maybe £30, the guy has a no centre torn label one in VG minus and he wants £125....what planet does he live on??

Pete

I couldn't agree more- what planet do some of these dealers live on indeed

I have been in sales for many years, and as you are well aware, you need constant revenue and profit to keep your product offering fresh - therefore sell at decent prices and you will achieve this

Trying to sell at crazy prices will not achieve this Nd will simply force buyers to look elsewhere

A good example is on the high street, Jessops, HMV etc etc - competition is tough and you need to react to combat this

You clearly do this and are successful - others that done, will not survive

Still cant believe you got £185 for Ernie and Ed though LOL - good example because if you had asked £300 for it, it would still be there

Best

Jim

Social source share

in reply i tend to look on on here -and the 2 big price guides

and pitch my price from that - long as it covers my costs

i buy most things by post - so dont get stuff for low prices by visits to usa

i recently listed

mint garland green - 100 (sold) - ohio marching band - canadian 20 - jimmy soul clark 70 - seem ok to me

harvey scales - 80 -etta james vg+ 35 -big joe turner - 25 - marie knight 95 - paul sindab - 30 (sold)

Edited by keithw
Social source share

Pete

I couldn't agree more- what planet do some of these dealers live on indeed

I have been in sales for many years, and as you are well aware, you need constant revenue and profit to keep your product offering fresh - therefore sell at decent prices and you will achieve this

Trying to sell at crazy prices will not achieve this Nd will simply force buyers to look elsewhere

A good example is on the high street, Jessops, HMV etc etc - competition is tough and you need to react to combat this

You clearly do this and are successful - others that done, will not survive

Still cant believe you got £185 for Ernie and Ed though LOL - good example because if you had asked £300 for it, it would still be there

Best

Jim

I pushed my luck a bit on that one because I knew if I listed it at £150 I would three or four people wanting it so I priced it higher knowing the person who really wanted it would get it - and I don't like doing that sort of thing to be honest but I'd definitely seen it go for over £200 so I thought why not.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I srarted the same thread a few weeks ago mark,it really pisses you off when you get no reply what so ever.They are either very ignorant or a bit thick,maybe both :wicked: .

Or daydreamers and fantasists who would love to own such records, that they think it's a boost to their over-inflated ego by posting a wants they know they'll never follow through.

Social source share

in reply i tend to look on on here -and the 2 big price guides

and pitch my price from that - long as it covers my costs

i buy most things by post - so dont get stuff for low prices by visits to usa

i recently listed

mint garland green - 100 (sold) - ohio marching band - canadian 20 - jimmy soul clark 70 - seem ok to me

harvey scales - 80 -etta james vg+ 35 -big joe turner - 25 - marie knight 95 - paul sindab - 30 (sold)

Keith these seem fair, but others may not be

Good luck with your business anyway

Jim

Social source share

Have you seen the price of that Bobby Paris just listed? :ohmy:

I did notice that and also concluded that this is same copy that was offered to Shaunfitz yesterday.

Its little wonder that sometimes people dont respond to offers, although in this case Shaun obv did for the seller to post it up today.

Of course up to seller to set his price.

ROD

Social source share

I pushed my luck a bit on that one because I knew if I listed it at £150 I would three or four people wanting it so I priced it higher knowing the person who really wanted it would get it - and I don't like doing that sort of thing to be honest but I'd definitely seen it go for over £200 so I thought why not.

played Ernie and ED out at the weekend and everyone sat looking at me as if i was on another planet :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was contemplating what you said here Grant and eventually I came to a conclusion.

It's sh*t.

:lol: You've never had taste mate :wink: . I only played it coz it filled the dancefloor a week or two before at an all dayer to great applause for the Dj - the strange world of northern 'finnicky fookers' soul

think its a great uplifting tune IMHO - anyway ramble over

Social source share

:lol: You've never had taste mate :wink: . I only played it coz it filled the dancefloor a week or two before at an all dayer to great applause for the Dj - the strange world of northern 'finnicky fookers' soul

think its a great uplifting tune IMHO - anyway ramble over

Grant

It's a crappy poppy record and should not be in your box

As I say I will take it off your hands though, just so you don't get embarrassed

Jim

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

why does it 'irk' you that people ask for PM only on wants, I do this and see no issue in wanting to carry out a deal in private, just cant see the problem.

Social source share

why does it 'irk' you that people ask for PM only on wants, I do this and see no issue in wanting to carry out a deal in private, just cant see the problem.

think he is saying that it annoys him when people post up their 45 for sale on the thread and not PM-inmg the perosn putting the want out - I agree with you though that PM only means a private deal

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Those who are complaining obviously live their lives 24/7 on this website, brilliant as it is, and expect the rest of us to do the same while ignoring the fact that people sometimes innocently forget, people work and don't access the internet , people go away, people die, etc etc.

So whats the point asking for a want if your to busy to check for a reply,or take min out of your ever so busy life to answer.I would say most of us on here work full time,but some do die i suppose.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

think he is saying that it annoys him when people post up their 45 for sale on the thread and not PM-inmg the perosn putting the want out - I agree with you though that PM only means a private deal

oh i getcha, sorry about that

Social source share

Eddie and Ernie Pete.? Go for over £200.? Why not indeed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No it is just ignorant if I send someone a pm to say I have what they want how long does it take to say yes or no a couple of seconds if you don't want it don't post wants.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!