Foreign Language - Northern / Modern Soul ?

Sunnysoul

Was asked whether there have ever been any major records on the scene sung completely in non - English vocals ?

Not tunes with just a few chants of foreign words in them such as Soul Sauce or Danse A La Musique or El Watusi , but chorus and verse completely in foreign language ?

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Several of the Motown acts recorded their hits in foreign languages but it's hard to think of any strictly northerm/modern records in a foreign language.

Rocky Roberts may have recorded Just Because of You in Italian, Stasera Mi Butto or something like that , but I take it no northern DJ back in the day would have attempted playing the Italian language version , would they ?!!!

Social source share

French chanteuse Sylvie Vartan sings "Ne l'imite pas" aka "Monkey Time"

In the 60's a lot of French singers did covers of US hits (Motown, Stax, etc...), one of the most famous being Claude François, who loved his Motown :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7ATHBsyXU

But I prefer by far the Velvelettes singing in French ! :yes:

Edited by Philippe
Social source share

thats so shite its unbelievable.

:ohmy::D ...that got me into northern soul.... just kidding.... there are a few good german motown sides by the supremes and so on... :thumbsup:

I do have a few lps from peru/venezuela with major soul hits like um um um in spanish with a nice latin feel to it !!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Was asked whether there have ever been any major records on the scene sung completely in non - English vocals ?

Not tunes with just a few chants of foreign words in them such as Soul Sauce or Danse A La Musique or El Watusi , but chorus and verse completely in foreign language ?

Remember getting in a taxi in Milan @ 2003 and hearing a record on the radio which was full on northern

Pretty sure it was pella negro or something along those lines

Nice tune

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

John, is it that one ?

If so it's Nino Ferrer,a French singer, one of the best in the genre (Soul/R&B).

Yes that's the one - always wondered what it was.

Many thanks Phillppe

Social source share

Was asked whether there have ever been any major records on the scene sung completely in non - English vocals ? Not tunes with just a few chants of foreign words in them such as Soul Sauce or Danse A La Musique or El Watusi , but chorus and verse completely in foreign language ?

Sylvie Vartan - De Ma Vie..................................Rescue me.................

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert