Ebay - Anyone Else Noticed?

Guest carl_p

Thought i would give record sellers and buyers a heads up. I was made aware there is a new category for international mail. it's called first class mail package service. It's about to increase shipping costs from US sellers by up to 108%. Most single records will fall into the 4 to 6 oz range. the only plus is you can probably ship 3 or 4 records for $12.75. I have not seen all the details they are well hidden but jan 27 the rates take effect. most lp's will soon cost between $16.75 and $18.20. Not nearly as severe an increase as the 5 oz rate. Canada's new rate is only about 10% less than the new international rate so i'm guessing it increased well over 100% if not a 200% increase.

weight pre new

4oz $5.33 $9.45

5oz $6.12 $12.75 108% increase

6oz $6.90 $12.75

7oz $7.68 $12.75

8oz $8.46 $12.75

12oz $10.03 $14.90

16oz $11.60 $16.75

20oz $13.17 $18.20

Social source share

Yeh i had one yesterday,

The seller in the US,i won a record for .49 cents (a filler only) not in the best of condition knackerd at best,but needed just for the number# etc,

he invoiced me .49c for the record, and postaage cost of (wait for it)$21.00c .

Needless to say it told him to shove it,so got it posted to a family member in USA,for me to pick up later in the year.

Outraged or what.

mind you in saying that he is the onlly one in USA ive come accross with postage rates like that,all the other dealers seem to be fair and honest imo.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Yeh i had one yesterday,

The seller in the US,i won a record for .49 cents (a filler only) not in the best of condition knackerd at best,but needed just for the number# etc,

he invoiced me .49c for the record, and postaage cost of (wait for it)$21.00c .

Needless to say it told him to shove it,so got it posted to a family member in USA,for me to pick up later in the year.

Outraged or what.

mind you in saying that he is the onlly one in USA ive come accross with postage rates like that,all the other dealers seem to be fair and honest imo.

Nice one, At least you had a way out, When i bought of an antique dealer rather than a seller of records, I got stung for $25 for a wilson pickett album, He said it was for shipping & handling I think the cost of post was $8, I had to pay as it was early on in my ebay buying as negative feedback can kill your buying power.

The album was the wand label and only cost about $5

I now make sure i know the cost of charges beforehand.

Once bitten twice shy !!!!

Gatty huxley

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I collect US WDJ copies and am constantly upgrading the cheaper end off Ebay. $5/10 stuff that's in better nick than wht i already own. I obviously pick up other WDJ copies at a higher cost but have always enjoyed finding stuff for peanuts that looks good when you put it in a box with a couple of hundred more.

So...with the recent hike in postage charges from the US to Europe and many Ebay seller having to charge $12/13 for a single 45 I've noticed quite a few that have removed the worldwide option now at the cheaper end. Of course the fall out from that is also that that hidden rarity at 4.99 may also get listed as US BUYERS ONLY from now on!

Anyone else picked up on this wind of change? or am I the only one that lives so far down in the 'Ebay weeds'? :(:lol:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Dave, I don't understand why they would want to remove the `export` option? It doesn't cost them anything to offer it and it widens their sales field considerably, if I saw something I wanted for $4.99 with $10 posting, I have a choice. The last ebay 45 I received from the US (earlier this week) cost $6.90, posted 19/1/13. To be honest, in general I find the US and European sellers far more honest with their postage charges than the many UK sellers. That's why ebay restricted UK postage costs.

Edited by Keith Rylatt
Social source share

US sellers actually will start to open up their overseas sales as the increased first class international postage costs are going to come with international delivery tracking. But the USPS has not officially rolled it out yet. Once it is in place US sellers will feel safer about selling overseas and I'm sure ebay and paypal will start to allow that as proof of delivery, preventing many fraudulent chargebacks.

Social source share

Not quite on topic but

https://announcements.ebay.com/2012/11/attention-sellers-upcoming-program-will-make-selling-internationally-as-easy-as-domestic/

Not sure how it would work, will buyers be responsible for the domestic end & the international?

I'm sure EB will make sure and correlate the price we put on the customs and what it actually sold for?

It looks like they want to join the PO in collecting for HMCustoms.

Any thoughts on this?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Keith,

I understand that but when you see an item marked at 3.99 with a $13.00 shipping cost I guess some sellers think it's going to be a drama and just not worth it.

Bob,

The chargeback issue is a real issue Ebay for sure. I think you're right and US sellers will feel more protected when it comes in. But from a purely buyers perspective, the tracked shipping is a red herring in my opinion. I don't use it, never have for incoming stuff and have only lost one package in over 3000 transactions, whilst living in three different countries.

Mr Smithy,

Just another way for Ebay/Paypal to get into your wallet. I'm not sure as I don't sell too much on Ebay at all but do you pay commission on the whole amount including shipping? I was charged VAT/Importation Tax AND a handling charge on the whole amount recently, that included the shipping.

I think the higher shipping costs will definitely affect US sellers. I'm already deleting dozens of 45s from my 'watching folder'. As a long time collector and not a DJ it's not the high priced 'DJ' 45s that take my business but the # fillers, the upgrades, the demos of cheap items, Motown Promo LPs etc. Looks like Ebay, at least for me....is over.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Mr Smithy,

Just another way for Ebay/Paypal to get into your wallet. I'm not sure as I don't sell too much on Ebay at all but do you pay commission on the whole amount including shipping? I was charged VAT/Importation Tax AND a handling charge on the whole amount recently, that included the shipping.

Yeah PP takes a piece of it all and there's a few cents FVF on the shipping.

That's what I think and they'll make as bigger balls up as they do everything else they get in the middle of.

Be a humongous PIA if they make it mandatory.

I don't think we should stop offering WW shipping. It's up to the buyer if they want to or not. We should give them the option. It's not as though we can do anything about it.

Social source share

Mr Smithy,

Yeah PP takes a piece of it all and there's a few cents FVF on the shipping.

That's what I think and they'll make as bigger balls up as they do everything else they get in the middle of.

Be a humongous PIA if they make it mandatory.

I don't think we should stop offering WW shipping. It's up to the buyer if they want to or not. We should give them the option. It's not as though we can do anything about it.

Yep, I agree. It's not the seller's fault. I'm not sure that most people have actually seen some of the shipping costs now associated with some US sellers. Couple today who used to be $7 a pop are now $13. Nothing they can do about it. For those who don't know what I'm 'talking' about, here's couple of well known sellers who have had to double their shipping costs. I'd have had these two en route by now but when you check the shipping it puts them out of range. Due to this some dealers have reverted to US only sales. I'm sure they'll return to WW selling eventually but for stuff like these 45s it's simply not worth paying the shipping, even if the 45 was free.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281031616861?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/390509668718?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Ah well, it was good while it lasted. Looks like for me at least, it may be worth making trips again. :wink::)

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Again not strictly on topic but I was told by someone I ship to in the UK fairly regularly-maybe not so regularly anymore though-

that if you put "Collectors Item" on the customs slip it makes it VAT proof. He doesn't seem to get charged it.

True / False?

I looked on the Royal Mail site and it didn't say anything.

Social source share

Again not strictly on topic but I was told by someone I ship to in the UK fairly regularly-maybe not so regularly anymore though-

that if you put "Collectors Item" on the customs slip it makes it VAT proof. He doesn't seem to get charged it.

True / False?

I don't think it really makes any difference to be honest.It's still something of a lottery as to which packages get stopped. It does seem though, that the world's mailing companies are being lined up by their respective Govts to squeeze revenue from their international business. The hike in US postage rates is simply a double whammy for people this end. If you're buying items at 100s of dollars a pop then the impact isn't the same but if you scour the net for cheaper items then it will change your habits. At least, it has mine.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Not quite on topic but

https://announcements...sy-as-domestic/

Not sure how it would work, will buyers be responsible for the domestic end & the international?

I'm sure EB will make sure and correlate the price we put on the customs and what it actually sold for?

Any thoughts on this?

From what i can make out, this is for US sellers to post sales to a dispatch centre, who then complete customs form and post it on to the buyer, this can surely only increase costs for buyers

Social source share

Jules

I can see it being a nightmare if they make it mandatory. Though I'm not sure if they can.

For the seller it makes it easier in theory but if EB cust serv is anything to go by it will be a cluster of the first water.

Not only will it probably cost sellers more but would actively discourage them as the chances of them getting it right are slim.

Rod

Being as there's nothing anyone can do about it I think people who have no other means to get it will eventually just accept it

just as they have to when other things go up. It is a huge bite though. Domestic went up here by 1c, so no big deal.

Social source share

I`m in the process of dealing with a few ebay/Gemm sellers for stuff ordered/won. It would seem that the 1st record is $12/13 for a 45,then it`s only a dollar for each record. Luckily i`ve ordered off sellers with a decent stock so am trying to do a bigger order to offset the postage cost for 1st record. Let you know how i get on :g: .

Downside is now it`s not gonna be not cost effective to order one record unless you get it at a very reduced rate unless it`s a rarity. Lp`s i dread to think what the prices will be for them now :ohmy: .

Social source share

True / False?

Thats not correct..

When making an Invoice out keep the Invoice under 20- 25 dollars....dont add the shipping......

Uk goverment will charge vat on the shipping as well..

I work for the brown company and get lots of issues with duty & vat

Social source share

Not all the U.S sellers are charging $12/13 dollars a lot charge around

$8. I always query high shipping charges and sometimes this helps. As well as this I try and buy 2,3 or more to cut down the costs.

Edited by ik001
Social source share

Not all the U.S sellers are charging $12/13 dollars a lot charge around

$8. I always query high shipping charges and sometimes this helps. As well as this I try and buy 2,3 or more to cut down the costs.

A 6oz package is now $11.48 so if they're charging $8, go to it.

Social source share

just had 14 records turn up postage was 17 dollars, but they were bought before the postal rise , the guy i buy off has since put rates up for 1 record to the new prices and stopped shipping to the uk , because i buy more than 1 he has made me exempt from the ban and says the cost won't be to bad , although will be higher , will let you no how much when the next batch arrive.

Social source share

I have an eBay store with loads of 45s averaging $10, but some ranging from $20-$100. This recent increase in postage costs is very frustrating.

How does everyone feel about it? Would you give a bunch of items a miss since postage has gone up so much, or would you be more apt to buy 10-15 records (if you can find that many in someone's store) at a go because it decreases the average postage cost?

Cheers.

Social source share

I have an eBay store with loads of 45s averaging $10, but some ranging from $20-$100. This recent increase in postage costs is very frustrating.

How does everyone feel about it? Would you give a bunch of items a miss since postage has gone up so much, or would you be more apt to buy 10-15 records (if you can find that many in someone's store) at a go because it decreases the average postage cost?

Cheers.

Trouble is for someone like me I buy individual records not batches of records. I've recently been collecting Hob gospel records for research for my book, and been picking up a lot for $5-$10. With the new postage I am going to be a lot more selective.

Social source share

Cheers.

THE GUY I BUY OFF , LETS ME BUILD THEM UP OVER A PERIOD OF TIME , I DON'T BUY THEM ALL IN ONE GO , AS SOON AS I HAVE ENOUGH TO SEND , OFF THEY GO , SORRY TO SHOUT BUT I'M NOT TYPING IT AGAIN . :)
Social source share

Depends how quick you want to receive the cheap record youve bought really

Ive already had some conversations with US sellers I buy from regularly about keeping records over 2, 3 or more auctions then sending them all at once to make shipping more reasonable

Social source share

Trouble is for someone like me I buy individual records not batches of records. I've recently been collecting Hob gospel records for research for my book, and been picking up a lot for $5-$10. With the new postage I am going to be a lot more selective.

That's exactly what I do. I've already changed my buying habits. (I used to buy records on a daily basis), not just Ebay but also other sources too. I think the US Ebay sellers are starting to replace the worldwide shipping options now because no one has bid on their wares. I've contacted a few and most are pretty much just as disgruntled as we are. Of course that's not gonna help when you want to buy a 45 for $1.99 and it costs anything up to $15 to get it delivered. It's no brainer - NEXT!

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Think you will probally see Offcom allow Royal Mail to mirror the prices the USPS charge come next April as the company is geared up to privatisation

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

I collect US WDJ copies and am constantly upgrading the cheaper end off Ebay. $5/10 stuff that's in better nick than wht i already own. I obviously pick up other WDJ copies at a higher cost but have always enjoyed finding stuff for peanuts that looks good when you put it in a box with a couple of hundred more. So...with the recent hike in postage charges from the US to Europe and many Ebay seller having to charge $12/13 for a single 45 I've noticed quite a few that have removed the worldwide option now at the cheaper end. Of course the fall out from that is also that that hidden rarity at 4.99 may also get listed as US BUYERS ONLY from now on!

Anyone else picked up on this wind of change? or am I the only one that lives so far down in the 'Ebay weeds'? :(:lol: Regards, Dave

I have a few mates that sell cheapies on Ebay, they tell me that anything less than $5.00 a single to Europe stopped overnight with a virtual doubling

of the postage costs. What I have found is that sellers will (much more willing than before) combine shipping costs, just bought 5 records and seller gave

same costs as I single. I kinda wonder if there's a market for selling on UK Ebay cheap USA releases, say Motown for a quid or two a piece ?

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Is the new high postage putting anyone off?

I've seen three records I would have bought today but didn't because the postage was $14 to $17 per record (more than the records). Not from the same seller.

How annoying.

TOPICS MERGED

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Is the new high postage putting anyone off?

I've seen three records I would have bought today but didn't because the postage was $14 to $17 per record (more than the records). Not from the same seller.

How annoying.

Yup, seen a number of low value items which I've either not bought (if it was a BIN) or saved to my watch list because of the postage costs involved. It's worse if you're shopping in euros as I am. For example, $14 = €10.40 or £8.90.

Social source share

Following on from the general feel of this thread. Just got off the phone with one of the drones at HMRC and the gist seems to be: a greater "crackdown" on non-EU imports: items shown as "gifts" and an emphasis on checking notional or "NCV" (No Commercial Value) comments on packages.

My own case. 1 disc some 15p over the £15 limit (by the HMRC exchange rate for January 2013) means I was charged a further £11.15 comprising of £8 RM "handling" charge and VAT @ 20% on the full cost of the disc. From my limited maths it would seem that around $24 is the limit any of my US bids on eVilBay will go in future. Or maybe I'm just unlucky?

Social source share

Following on from the general feel of this thread. Just got off the phone with one of the drones at HMRC and the gist seems to be: a greater "crackdown" on non-EU imports: items shown as "gifts" and an emphasis on checking notional or "NCV" (No Commercial Value) comments on packages.

My own case. 1 disc some 15p over the £15 limit (by the HMRC exchange rate for January 2013) means I was charged a further £11.15 comprising of £8 RM "handling" charge and VAT @ 20% on the full cost of the disc. From my limited maths it would seem that around $24 is the limit any of my US bids on eVilBay will go in future. Or maybe I'm just unlucky?

You are unlucky, to a point at least, but not alone. The "crackdown" has been ongoing for a while now, as has been mentioned in other, older threads. I've had similar experience with items just a few pence over the limit. At least for higher value items it's possible to factor in the potential charges to your max bid, or on top of any buy it now price. Low value items are a virtual no go unless you can add a few together, but many sellers still want to add $1 per extra 45 when, in fact, probably 3 will cost just the same as 1 to ship worldwide.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Prior to the big postage increase, I used to sell a lot of records that would work out to be about 10 Pounds/10 Euros with P&P. Now, it's almost that much just for postage. Sales have completely cratered since the increase, and I completely understand, because who wants to pay more postage cost than the cost of the item?

I have thousands of $10 soul 45s I would like to sell, so as the previous poster says, if you can find a bunch, the overall cost isn't bad.

Cheers.

Social source share

Prior to the big postage increase, I used to sell a lot of records that would work out to be about 10 Pounds/10 Euros with P&P. Now, it's almost that much just for postage. Sales have completely cratered since the increase, and I completely understand, because who wants to pay more postage cost than the cost of the item?

I have thousands of $10 soul 45s I would like to sell, so as the previous poster says, if you can find a bunch, the overall cost isn't bad.

Cheers.

Put a list of Soul WDJs you have together and send it to hitsville2648@earthlink.net and I'll be happy to buy a big bunch of them if they're priced/graded correctly. It's the only way to sell cheaper 45s to Europe now.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Not quite on topic but

https://announcements...sy-as-domestic/

Any thoughts on this?

Just bought a 45 and seller is shipping through eBays new "Global Shipping Program". I guess this will be the start of a new thread in the future but thought, I'd add my experience here.

For a $14.99 buy it now 45 the seller was quoting $3.25 domestic shipping. Ebay listing stated $16.89 International Priority + $4.37 Import Charges. When I asked if seller would ship direct, rather than via a 3rd party, he declined but offered to discount the 45 to $11.99 buy it now, to which I agreed. Strangely, despite this reduction, import duty quoted by eBay remained at $4.37 throughout the transaction.

After paying for the 45 I noted the paypal receipt stated payment for multiple items, which, upon checking, were "Purchase 1" the record + domestic shipping ($11.99 + $3.25 to the sellers paypal account), then "Purchase 2" to Pitney Bowes, Inc for "International Delivery", total $18.01. So my original $14.99 disc has so far cost $33.25, no doubt with the potential to incur further fees in the UK due to a cock up of some sort.

Any way, the seller will now send my 45 from Texas to Kentucky as I understand it, and from there it will be sent on to me. What the f**k else they'll do with it in Kentucky I don't know. I've told the seller to take some pics as insurance in case it gets mishandled. Time will tell how well it works. :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!