Mike Jemison - Geneva Lp

I bought this Mike Jemison LP quite a few years ago, I was recently revisiting it after many years & got me wondering about it, it seems like a retrospective with tracks covering a few year period & includes tracks that were also recorded on Lake, as well as GeNEVA...my copy came without a cover & this Popsike blurb appears to support that.

Does anyone have any other information about this LP the 'Satisfaction' track is the 'I Want Some Satisfaction' released as a 45 on GeNEVA...however the LP version is some 20 secs longer than the 45 version (altho I havnt timed this to be sure) ?

MIKE JEMISON WITH JOHNNY GRIFFITH ORCH. - GENEVA 102 DISCO CRAZY SPREAD LOVE YOULL NEVER GET MY LOVE LOVE CAN BE WITH YOU SATISFACTION WHEN YOURE AROUND LETS BRING BACK THE GOOD TIMES AINT NO WAY CONGRATULATION YOU MAKE ME FEEL THE WAY YOU DO M- COND - DONT BELIEVE A SLEEVE WAS ISSUED WITH THIS ALBUM ORIGINAL USA DETOIT VERY RARE RELEASE ALBUM GREAT MODERN

post-1840-0-68881500-1359535378_thumb.jp

Many thanks

Russ

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

sorry Russ just reread your post, I thought you were asking if 'satisfaction' is a 45.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Does anyone have any other information about this LP the 'Satisfaction' track is the 'I Want Some Satisfaction' released as a 45 on GeNEVA...however the LP version is some 20 secs longer than the 45 version (altho I havnt timed this to be sure) ?

Russ

Pretty sure Johnny Griffith also had I Want Some Satisfaction out on a Triple B 45.

Kegsy

Social source share

It's a quality LP. Some tracks appear to be unreleased, and some were re-recorded ("Only love can be with you" is an example of this).

Here's one of my favourites;

"You Make Me Feel The Way You Do" was also recorded by Barrett Strong and was featured on his 1982 Album entitled "Love Is You" which appeared on Norton Stern's Coup label. A 45 of " You Make Me Feel The Way You Do b/w Love Is You" was also released on Coup. Stern was a buddy of Ernest Kelley Mike Jemison's producer, manager and life long friend.Hence Mike also recording "You Make Me Feel The Way You Do"

I always thought that "Spread Love was a very underated track which probably suffered because of only being available as a album track. I latter included it on the Ernest Kelley Soul Heroes (GVCD 3035) which was released on Grapevine in 2007.

Mike Jemison now a ordained Baptiste minister is still a regular performer on the gospel circuit, often sharing the bill with Areatha Franklin. We also released two contempary gospel sides by Mike in 2010 "Hold On He's Coming b/w Call On Me" Soul Junction SJ507.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve, does your LP have a cover ?.

Best Russ

Hi Russ

I've had about 4 copies and all came with a plain white cover

Someone once told me the story behind this LP?

Can't remember whether it was a real conversation or a thread on here?????????????

Dave Thorley had a starring role in the conversation/thread as i recall?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Great info Dave and i think Mike's SJ 45 was a great double sider that definitely slipped under the radar!

More so in the UK Steve

But we sold a hell of a lot in mainland Europe which was really pleasing as this was our first foray into the contempary gospel field.

Anyway getting back on topic although kinda merging two topics Butch's inclusion of Mike's "I Want Some Satisfaction" in his excellent 70's and crossover set thread just high light's the quality of Mike's recordings.

"I Want Some Satisfaction" was a Ernest Kelley composition, which Ernest recorded firstly on Willie Collins followed by serveral other artists in the hope of turning it into a standard i.e Cloe Martin Dee Edwards and a instrumental version by Johnny Griffiths on Triple B. Johhny Griffiths being a former member of the Funk Brothers at Motown with Jack Ashford. Then later a business partner of Ernest Kelley who worked surreptitously with Jack at Triple B due to Ernest still being employed by Motown and Gordy's dislike of any of his employees moonlighting etc , any way that's enough of that i'm sure Ady Croasdell will shead more light on this subject on one of his forthcoming projects :shhh:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thank you everyone for the brilliant info - just wondered if anyone knows if the LP version of 'Satisfaction' is the same cut as the 45 ?...there is a 20 second difference in the running time between LP & 45...my hearing is shot to bits these days, but I cant hear any real difference, but I could be wrong ???...

Ady, my scanner is a bit tempremental, but I'll try & scan t'other side today....if you are going Masters of Soul tonight, happy to bring it along for you to borrow if it helps ?.

Thanks again all....

Best Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!