Spyder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore - Other Version

Markw

it was a bottom end chart record in the usa and theres millions of copies of it and the snobbery within the scene sadly held it back.....sound wise it should be the same price as johnny manships eddie parker

it was a bottom end chart record in the usa and theres millions of copies of it and the snobbery within the scene sadly held it back.....sound wise it should be the same price as johnny manships eddie parker

Social source share

With you all the way on this one Dave,I had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman a few weeks ago along with Pat Lewis.Had a good chat with them both and found out where the name Spyder came from. Chris.

Social source share

The first You Tube video in this thread is the one I put together for my You Tube channel. It's had over 3,000 hits so Ritchie Havens seems to be a popular You Tube search.

I can't really get along with the rest of the Mixed Bag album despite perservering with it and being a folk fan ( Dylan, Nick Drake et al ).

I think Ritchie's version of ICMIAM sounds great at an all nighter and its sparkling production and use of a string quartet, make it a total winner.

Another Gordon Lightfoot song which I think makes a great " cover " is Early Morning Rain. I've heard nice versions by both Weller and Elvis.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The name Spyder,came about when he was a kid at school.His class were taken to a theatre to watch a film about insects and he was messing about in the dark tickling the other kids ankles pretending to be a spider.so he got that nickname.Then changed the I for a y when he decided to use the name for recording.ps sorry for not replying to your quote Denbo but I am shit on this computer.Chris.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The name Spyder,came about when he was a kid at school.His class were taken to a theatre to watch a film about insects and he was messing about in the dark tickling the other kids ankles pretending to be a spider.so he got that nickname.Then changed the I for a y when he decided to use the name for recording.ps sorry for not replying to your quote Denbo but I am shit on this computer.Chris.

No worries Chris, you got back to me eventually, that's all that matters.

You also answered my next question, which was going to be how it went from 'i' to 'y'.

Thanks, that was interesting.

Social source share

• 3 years later...
On 1/27/2013 at 08:28, tfk said:

Richard Wiiliams off his Quad Records album...

ktf tfk :rofl:

post-3067-0-81286400-1359390504.jpg

Excellent slow Soul version.  I like Spyder's, Richie's, this one and Henfield's as well.  That shows how great a song this is, that can be sung in almost any style and sound great.

Social source share

On 2/2/2013 at 10:59, denbo said:

No worries Chris, you got back to me eventually, that's all that matters.

You also answered my next question, which was going to be how it went from 'i' to 'y'.

Thanks, that was interesting.

Spyder told us that his mother told him to change the "i" to "y", as it would make his name more "memorable".  As to his playing the part of the spider after the film:  He mentioned that he was the class "cut up" in his elementary school.  He used to get attention from the girls by creeping up behind them to scare them, with his "spider routine".  That act was his calling card, and the nickname stuck.  He's a very good singer, a sharp and funny guy.  To me, his "I Can't Make It Anymore" is one of the classic Detroit cuts.  It couldn't become a giant Northern hit because it wasn't a rare record.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!