Spyder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore - Other Version

Markw

OK. So I am in a business meeting in the Hilton Hotel Cardiff and my ears become aware that the muzak has become interesting, the song playing seems vaguely familiar and is actually a different version of Spyder Turner's classic. A good deal slower than Spyder but the production and the singer sound soulful enough (bearing in mind that I am trying to listen above the general hullabuloo and keep track of what my boss and colleague are on about). Who is this :g: ?

Social source share

OK. So I am in a business meeting in the Hilton Hotel Cardiff and my ears become aware that the muzak has become interesting, the song playing seems vaguely familiar and is actually a different version of Spyder Turner's classic. A good deal slower than Spyder but the production and the singer sound soulful enough (bearing in mind that I am trying to listen above the general hullabuloo and keep track of what my boss and colleague are on about). Who is this :g: ?

Richard Wiiliams off his Quad Records album...

ktf tfk :rofl:

post-3067-0-81286400-1359390504.jpg

Social source share

Ah ha!! I think it was the Richie Havens version that I heard today.

Amazing some of the tunes that end up played in these places. I was having lunch a few years ago in an Old Orleans restaurant in Cardiff and Mel & Tim 'Forever And A Day' came on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'll probably be in a minority of one again and be accused of heresy......but always think this is so overrated...Spyder Turner....that is.....I just can't hear the 'class' everyone else seems to....'great voice'?....not to my ears....

Social source share

I'll probably be in a minority of one again and be accused of heresy......but always think this is so overrated...Spyder Turner....that is.....I just can't hear the 'class' everyone else seems to....'great voice'?....not to my ears....

You Heresy! :wicked::D

Spyder is just a great dance record imo. Mm, don't mean just in a negative way - it's a great record full stop.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers Rod

Might try and get one.

Peter

I decided to give up on the little known fact that this record came out on a UK Verve Lp. Or so I thought. I haven't found one yet. Mind you, I haven't really tried that hard. Can anybody confirm that it DID in fact come out on a UK Verve Lp?

Anyhow, just a couple of weeks back, I decided to track down a copy on US Verve Folkways and already I've got competition. If you find two Pete, let me know and I'll do likewise.

Edited by denbo
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I decided to give up on the little known fact that this record came out on a UK Verve Lp. Or so I thought. I haven't found one yet. Mind you, I haven't really tried that hard. Can anybody confirm that it DID in fact come out on a UK Verve Lp?

Anyhow, just a couple of weeks back, I decided to track down a copy on US Verve Folkways and already I've got competition. If you find two Pete, let me know and I'll do likewise.

Yes ok Den.

Thanks

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm sure you're not alone there but maybe worth picking up a copy of his "Stand by me" LP with this track and a good few others. It's cheap still (I think) and might either convince you that you stick by your thinking or maybe might change your mind. A nice version of "I can't wait until I see my baby's face" too.

Edited by 71 Steve
Social source share

My Dad (RIP) used to love Richie Havens. He was on UK TV shows quite a bit in the past.

He also loved Lowell Fulsom, (also named Fulson). James Brown and Jimmy Smith too. A real kool kat my Dad on the quiet. :-)

Oh, and Mose Allison as well.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am with Brooky on this one, but lets face it lads what with all the Detroit, Terra Shirma Studios, Mike Terry, Denis Coffey, Clay McCmurray stuff going on with this record it is tantamount to being a holocaust denier to say it is a decidedly average record (there, I've said it, call the motor city soul police).

Incidently reference G Lightfoot - the writer of the song I found this info.

Frosty

The title of a Gordon Lightfoot-composed song that he never recorded!(according to him when I spoke with him back stage at a concert in Cleveland a few years ago)...it was recorded by Ritchie Havens (on Verve-Forecast "Mixed Bag" LP and on 45) and by Spyder Turner on an M-G-M 45...if you don't know this song you MUST locate...is GREAT and I wish GL had recorded himself...he said he "never got around to it"...but I neglected to ask him how he thought Havens had heard it to know he wanted to record it?!?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Should have Den.

This album was reissued on a number of occasions in both the US and Europe.

First in the wake of Richie Havens' appearance at Woodstock, so late '69, early '70; and then in '74. The 1970 reissue has a line of blurb about Woodstock and a slightly different cover layout. The seventies reissue has completely different artwork. All of them feature "I Can't Make It Anymore".

Note the 45 is on Verve Folkways. The album is on Verve Forecast, the label's name having been changed between the issue of the single and the album.

Social source share

Should have Den.

This album was reissued on a number of occasions in both the US and Europe.

First in the wake of Richie Havens' appearance at Woodstock, so late '69, early '70; and then in '74. The 1970 reissue has a line of blurb about Woodstock and a slightly different cover layout. The seventies reissue has completely different artwork. All of them feature "I Can't Make It Anymore".

Note the 45 is on Verve Folkways. The album is on Verve Forecast, the label's name having been changed between the issue of the single and the album.

Interesting.

Spotted a UK release on MGM. Must be one of the mid 70s re-issues?

Social source share

I find it interesting that Canadian folk singer, Gordon Lightfoot would write a song that is so amenable to being fitted to the mid '60s Detroit sound. It sounds so unlike any other of his tunes. I like the Richie Havens version very much. I never played it, originally, just because it was by Havens. I could imagine Dennis Coffey listening to Havens' version and thinking "We could do something very nice with that song!" And so, now it's a classic Detroit Soul cut.

Social source share

There was a 1966 UK issue of Mixed Bag on Verve. One here on musicstack

https://www.musicstac.../item/196411224

Thanks ever so much garethx, I bought that Lp and I arrived home today to find it had arrived earlier in the week. I've just played it, the whole LP, and I'm absolutely chuffed with it ALL, not just the track this thread is all about. I'm off to play it again. Brilliant. Anybody who's not listened to an Lp by this guy, do yourself a favour and do so, he's awesome.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Depends whether you lean towards Garage Dave with Fresh Air. Love the drums in this one, this is my youtube vid, I still have it if anyone wants to purchase it from me.

Social source share

Bloody hell I can remember that you couldn't give Spyder Turners version away no matter how hard you tried back in the 70, I could never understand it, I love it. :g:

Spot. :shades:

Absolutely right, I remember touting it around for years - no one would give it air time - or a second look.

Social source share

Bloody hell I can remember that you couldn't give Spyder Turners version away no matter how hard you tried back in the 70, I could never understand it, I love it. :g:

Spot. :shades:

it was a bottom end chart record in the usa and theres millions of copies of it and the snobbery within the scene sadly held it back.....sound wise it should be the same price as johnny manships eddie parker

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!