Live Wigan Tape Date And Deejays?

Wiggyflat

Dug this tape out to upload....a live Wigan tape.....can anybody date it...more commercial sounds earlier on and later in the tape it sounds like Brian Rae deejaying.....I'm Getting Ready For Love by Paintbox gets an airing....and scratchy sounds bizarre!!

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

it sounds like its about 78 or 79 the atmosphere handclaping like whips that was there before faded a bit i just given calvin lee about 80 tapes ok maby 60 he maby glad to sell a couple from 76 to end me an my m8 always had tape going he`s only 17 so i gave them to him to get the feel of what it was like between the walls of the the hallowed halls he`s on my friends list some are quite clear if i remember some of the cover ups etc

Social source share

Paintbox was a near chart hit in 1971. Most youth clubs were playing it. It followed the pop rock mix into Soul. A typical playlist back then would have included She's Alright- McKenna Mendoldson Mainline, Too Busy Thinking About My Baby- Gene Latter, Paintbox mixed with Brooks and Jerry and Johnny Wyatt. Perfectly acceptable back then.

Vanda and Young of the Easybeats produced the Paintbox session for Young Blood.

Social source share

Guest Krissii

Definitely an oldies allnighter. Seems strange, looking back, to see how 'commercial' tunes like Dance To The Music and Uptight were being lapped up. My Weakness Is You sounds bloody good though. :-)

Dance to the Music is one of the best stompers ever !!!!!

Great classic floorfiller

Social source share

I agree with you, a great record, but it was a big chart hit which they even performed live on prime time TV in the US at the time of its release. My point was that that NS venues at the time, especially Wigan, were not usually given to playing stuff like that for being considered too commercial and in conflict with the rare and obscure ethos of the scene. The oldies allnighters that started up around 76 (?) undermined that, I think. Otherwise we definitely wouldn't have heard Sam Cooke's Another Saturday Night or even Nowhere To Run by Martha & The Vandellas at an all-nighter.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!