7 Dwarfs

Billywhizz

i seen 7 dwarfs. stop girl, on a few listed,started at £150, another listed £175, up to £200, to me i cant understand why, that was a record in the olden days that never got played, and tbh with you, i never heard it play at a oldies night, well the ones i go to. Cheers Billy.

Social source share

Its a very 'in the 60's' type of record but is still played out occasionally. Personally, love it but not everybody's taste.

thanks for the quick reply Terry, im debating to play at rugby, in the free style room, im not to sure how it will go down, o.v.o of course, cheers BIlly.
Social source share

thanks for the quick reply Terry, im debating to play at rugby, in the free style room, im not to sure how it will go down, o.v.o of course, cheers BIlly.

In all honesty it gets mixed results. I played it a few times at our club and a few of the older brigade get up and shuffle along but not mainstream enough to appeal to the 'Masses'. Gets a round of applause though and others are starting to play it again so perhaps ...

Play and be damned mate " I Am The DJ, I Am What I Play"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i must have gone to the loo when they played that one, lol if pete says its a monster at wigan, it must have been big, i cant remember hearing it, its gotta be the brain cells, Cheers Billy.

BTW he likes it too :D

The orig is hard to get

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I was involved in a car crash with the "7 Dwarfs" One came rushing over and said "Im not happy" I replied "well which one are you then"

Sorry off topic ,but Im bored!!

Social source share

Its a very 'in the 60's' type of record but is still played out occasionally. Personally, love it but not everybody's taste.

Likewise I think it's a fantastic track but playing it at you're typical handbagger/fancy dress night would result in an empty floor and much scratching of bald heads - however playing it at a rarer night would result in much scratching of chins so it's not often it see's a set of decks...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep its a Garage punk record like the Human Beinz - I've never understood why the occasional garage record like these two get picked out and played at Soul dos when there are dozens of identical sounding records that Soul DJs would never play???

Exactly this! They never played "Stop Girl" on any of the Soul radio stations within earshot of me in Chicago, nor did they play it on Soul stations in L.A. or San Francisco/Oakland. It has a garage band sound. I doubt that ANY Soul DJ in USA would have played it. But then, Margaret Whiting's NS cut had a pop sound, and would never have been played on Soul radio. There's a LOT more to a vocal/instrumental recording than just the beat (which is why there were a LOT of NS "floor fillers" that I don't like in the slightest.

Social source share

Exactly this! They never played "Stop Girl" on any of the Soul radio stations within earshot of me in Chicago, nor did they play it on Soul stations in L.A. or San Francisco/Oakland. It has a garage band sound. I doubt that ANY Soul DJ in USA would have played it. But then, Margaret Whiting's NS cut had a pop sound, and would never have been played on Soul radio. There's a LOT more to a vocal/instrumental recording than just the beat (which is why there were a LOT of NS "floor fillers" that I don't like in the slightest.

Its NORTHERN soul,end of...and as we all know northern soul often had little to do with soul music..

I like it,its great played out loud.

Edited by John A
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

If people read Billywhizzie's 1st post

He is playing in a FREESTYLE room so i would think that would be a good starting point for him to help

reactivate this Wigan Oldies Toooooon as people in these sort of rooms are more open minded IMHO

ATB Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

Absolutely massive on the mod scene prior to it succumbing to sike and freakbeat.In 85/86...everyone had copies............bought mine for £5.....just checked and its an original...

Ive only seen one other copy like mine, from a well established dj on the scene but he never played it. Tezza said in his earlier post he played it mixed reaction, i believe they did re-issues late 70's early 80's with a dotted arrow going through it me thinks. Cheers Billy

Social source share

If people read Billywhizzie's 1st post

He is playing in a FREESTYLE room so i would think that would be a good starting point for him to help

reactivate this Wigan Oldies Toooooon as people in these sort of rooms are more open minded IMHO

ATB Kev :hatsoff2:

Hope your coming Kev im definitely up for playing it cheers billy

Social source share

Think it was 78...

Yep 1978. I Was 13 and it was a big youth club spin after the older lads brought copies back from Wigan.Remembe then ordering it myself from SOUL STOP mail order along with Bobby Diamond--Stop.Always Loved Stop Girl and chased an original once but prices now are too high for me,plenty better records can be obtained for the money

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!