Manifesto Magazine

Chalky

• 1 month later...

You can subscribe to Manifesto from Bournemouth Colour Press, Poole Telephone 01202 717535. However I renewed my subscription from issue 137, £40 for 10 issues. Never received issue 138, had to order a copy from Jumbo Records, sent an e-mail to complain and asked for details when the next issues would be published - still waiting for a reply. They also set up a website to promote the magazine but its way out of date.

Social source share

I got one free.....December 2012 issue.....from Beatin' Rythm in Manchester last month..........don't recall seeing a later issue on offer........maybe its a quarterly now?

What number was the December issue?

Last one  had was 138. Interesting to read that there is now a new issue out. Must chase it up.

Social source share

What number was the December issue?

Last one  had was 138. Interesting to read that there is now a new issue out. Must chase it up.

I received Issue 139 last week through the post, it's got The Vibrations on the front, and they've changed the magazine from a Gloss to a Matt finish, looks & feels good. (sorry for sounding like a Dulux advert  :lol: )

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

I used to subscribe in the nineties, infact I still have most of them,

didn't realise it was still going.

Anyone have any contact details, wouldn't mind recieving it once more

I used to subscribe in the nineties, infact I still have most of them,

didn't realise it was still going.

Anyone have any contact details, wouldn't mind recieving it once more

www.manifestosoul.com 

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I received Issue 139 last week through the post, it's got The Vibrations on the front, and they've changed the magazine from a Gloss to a Matt finish, looks & feels good. (sorry for sounding like a Dulux advert  :lol: )

Cheers for that Alison.

I have emailed them and await a copy through the letter box.

Hopefully it can return on a more regular basis and can get the soul night dates to run in conjucntion with when the mag comes out.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

post-27803-0-14672100-1372857538_thumb.j

still can't find the Dec 2012 issue but got this one, issue # 138 Oct/Nov 2012

....and noticed "Mike Atherton" listed as a contributor on inside page...

post-27803-0-19260400-1372857654_thumb.j

....wondering if it could be the same bloke as my long lost mate "Scally" from Oldham so looked on the manifestosoul.com website for contact details but the site's been suspended and tried the phone number for advertising which is listed in the mag but the number wasn't recognized.

Anyone know how I can find out about Mike or contact them otherwise?

Social source share

attachicon.gifmanifesto fp oct nov 12 001.jpg

still can't find the Dec 2012 issue but got this one, issue # 138 Oct/Nov 2012

....and noticed "Mike Atherton" listed as a contributor on inside page...

attachicon.gifmanifesto ins p oct nov 12 001.jpg

....wondering if it could be the same bloke as my long lost mate "Scally" from Oldham so looked on the manifestosoul.com website for contact details but the site's been suspended and tried the phone number for advertising which is listed in the mag but the number wasn't recognized.

Anyone know how I can find out about Mike or contact them otherwise?

MIke Atherton is a collector/write/seller, lived in Sussex for ages, can't remember where he is now but he does a list every three months or so - obviously there could be more than one!

https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Library/Writer/mike-atherton

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just going offtopic a little, I used to see Mike Atherton at Brighton record fair and this one day he had four or five records on the Downey label (including Pat Powdrill - Do It) and he'd found them in a junk shop in Sussex along with handwritten letters, they were from a guy who was English but had moved out to L.A. to try and break into the music business, and he'd ended up working on these records for the Downey label.  I wish I could remember his name, but he was definitely English, and he'd sent these records over to his parents so they could hear what he'd been working on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just going offtopic a little, I used to see Mike Atherton at Brighton record fair and this one day he had four or five records on the Downey label (including Pat Powdrill - Do It) and he'd found them in a junk shop in Sussex along with handwritten letters, they were from a guy who was English but had moved out to L.A. to try and break into the music business, and he'd ended up working on these records for the Downey label.  I wish I could remember his name, but he was definitely English, and he'd sent these records over to his parents so they could hear what he'd been working on.

Nick Risi who produced the Pat Powdrill's on Downey

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Used to get mine from Jumbo records in Leeds. they'll probably have back issues as well.

Andy

Andy , no stock including back issues at Jumbo .Always pop in to try and pick one up following demise of 'Borders' who stocked in York .

Seems the excellent 'Soul up North' now the only regularly published and available hard copy soul mag ? Just got the latest one   :thumbsup:

https://www.soulupnorth.co.uk/

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Just received a copy (at last) of Manifesto mag # 141 (August 2013), so it seems that Mike has got his act back together.

All the usual articles + 'Richard's Run Out Groove' and 'Edwin Starr -- 10 Years On'.

Me too!! Arrived this morning, as I was leaving the house .... two copies actually! & guess what, I'm stuck in on wet Saturday night, in my jimjams, slightly bored, but cosy, & both copies are in the boot of my ruddy car .... in my garage .... which is a few minutes walk from the house!! Pffft !!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!