40 Somethings

Tezza

Barry, just had to Googie John Lydon to find out who the f*ck he is?

What the f*ck as Johnny Rotten got to do with anything, lol.

Ay Oop Dave.

Lydon (Rotten) was derided for this....

...after years of being the original f*ck you punk, he goes and takes money for a butter advert!?

But it sits with what he's done all along, McClarens legacy.

I was likening his early incarnation as 'Johnny Rotten', the clued up punk - to the Young Soulie.

...and the later butter advertising John Lydon to the 50 something Soulie.

At the end of the day people may have thought that he sold out, he didn't - he was just as clever as he ever was.

Any clearer Dave? :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

im·prove

/ɪmˈpruv/ Show IPA verb, im·proved, im·prov·ing.

verb (used with object)

to bring into a more desirable or excellent condition: He took vitamins to improve his health.

to make (land) more useful, profitable, or valuable by enclosure, cultivation, etc.

to increase the value of (real property) by betterments, as the construction of buildings and sewers.

to make good use of; turn to account: He improved the stopover by seeing a client with offices there.

:)

Not or ever asked for things to be improved - Happy with my lot !!

If it needs improving I will decide how improving it will be to my benefit. Don't need no woman to help me starve to death, can you dig it ?

Don't bat it back too hard mate XX

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You do actually have a point there. there are a few people I know who have invented a whole history about themselves. Plces they went, people they knew etc etc.

Very sad actually. Their real lives must have been very boring or embarrassing or summat

I think we all know some like this Phil and yes very sad indeed a few are spinning records too .... but hey o each to their own

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

Not or ever asked for things to be improved - Happy with my lot !!

If it needs improving I will decide how improving it will be to my benefit. Don't need no woman to help me starve to death, can you dig it ?

Don't bat it back too hard mate XX

Was ironically responding to Jocko about improving the thread. Don't need the scene to be improved other than the omission of all the shite non northern stuff that gets passed off at some do's these days.

Emperor's new clothes and all that

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Was ironically responding to Jocko about improving the thread. Don't need the scene to be improved other than the omission of all the shite non northern stuff that gets passed off at some do's these days.

Emperor's new clothes and all that

That is something that's been batted about on here for years. Frustrates the hell out of me but I get told I must move with the times. Possibly why I started this thread.

Social source share

That is something that's been batted about on here for years. Frustrates the hell out of me but I get told I must move with the times. Possibly why I started this thread.

Frustrates the hell out of me. Even some people I respect go along with it. they look horrified when I tell them that is Rock N Roll, or that is Country or usually that is shit!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Barry, just had to Googie John Lydon to find out who the f*ck he is?

What the f*ck as Johnny Rotten got to do with anything, lol.

A supposed leader for all who believed his anarchist crusade ,who actually turned out to be the person he rebelled against .

A middle class ,capitalist ,who knows which side his breads buttered !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A supposed leader for all who believed his anarchist crusade ,who actually turned out to be the person he rebelled against .

A middle class ,capitalist ,who knows which side his breads buttered !

Depends which way you look at it.

...and you didn't believe he was a leader did you? :wink:

Social source share

Ay Oop Dave.

...after years of being the original f*ck you punk, he goes and takes money for a butter advert!?

I was likening his early incarnation as 'Johnny Rotten', the clued up punk - to the Young Soulie.

At the end of the day people may have thought that he sold out, he didn't - he was just as clever as he ever was.

Damn him, bringing the name into disrepute!! :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was the remote control invented in 79 when it would seem most of the now 50 something's decided it wasn't for them for a couple or more decades? :)

No it wasnt mate, I distinctly remember having to get up and down to change channels and turn the f***ing sound up & down - what a ball ache :huh:

Social source share

Depends which way you look at it.

...and you didn't believe he was a leader did you? :wink:

It's off topic Barry ,but since you asked ,just like the many anarchists of today ,anti nuclear ,tree hugging brigade etc ..I see through em .

Just lazy arsed t**ts ,who don't really contribute to society and seek an excuse to get out of joining the real world ,which means ,can't be arsed to work for a living but happy to sponge off the tax payer ,Infact most of em find it a chore to have a good wash .lol

In short ....punk rock was a music movement in the late 70's ,quite interesting and refreshing when real musicians got involved ,what it stood for was of no interest to me and for the record ,I never liked the Sex pistols or johnny Rotten .

I was a Clash man through and through :)

Social source share

Just to reiterate, they weren't records that I considered tosh, they were those that either constantly crop up as being examples of what 'bad' Northern is, or ones that fell out of favour very quickly and don't get back on playlists because, in a lot of cases, they are considered not soulful enough for todays scene. Half of them came out of my favourites box!

Wasn't implying that you decried them all. Knew what you meant having read #112 on the "sounds that die thread".

Social source share

If the forty somethings could play their mid-tempo slosh to full houses every week we wouldn't be having this debate.

The events lists on here tell you what the majority of people want to hear when they go out and without them you have no one to DJ to.

I can remember attending clubs when the manufactured stuff and "funk" created an influx of the new wave of jellybeans and drainpipes brigade so you ended up with a split club.

We sat down right through their stuff and waited for our dj to come on and when he did, they sat down 'til IL and Tavares came back on. Can't see folk our age putting up money for that kind of event albeit that the 80's/90's stuff may be of a better pedigree.

Having said that there was always elitism and from my earliest memories of going to clubs I recall that it wasn't cool to dance to certain records so you didn't even if you secretly liked them for fear of looking like a div but the difference is that at 50+ you aren't as susceptible to peer pressure as you were as a teenager.

I've been listening to the Butch's tapes on another thread and Pete's podcast of so called tosh has more good dance records in it by far. And what's all that talkin' over the records about ?

No wonder me and my mates f***ed it off in '82

Be interesting to see if the 80's & 90's discoveries are given up by today's 40 somethings in favour of newer sounds in 10 years time.

Can we get rid of this misconception thats trotted out on here time & time again - not all places that dont play top 500 oldies play mid tempo "tosh" as you call it - try the burnley all nighter - up tempo dance music all night

The butch tape from 91 (whilst top quality soul) is not necessarily indicative of what he plays out at Lifeline or the 100 club which is good fantastic dance music

How many records discovered in the 80s/90s and even beyond do you know and have listened to out??

Too many people condemn the rare/underplayed scene without actually knowing what they're talking about IMO its proper f***ing northern soul!!!!!

No offence :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It's off topic Barry ,but since you asked ,just like the many anarchists of today ,anti nuclear ,tree hugging brigade etc ..I see through em .

Just lazy arsed t**ts ,who don't really contribute to society and seek an excuse to get out of joining the real world ,which means ,can't be arsed to work for a living but happy to sponge off the tax payer ,Infact most of em find it a chore to have a good wash .lol

In short ....punk rock was a music movement in the late 70's ,quite interesting and refreshing when real musicians got involved ,what it stood for was of no interest to me and for the record ,I never liked the Sex pistols or johnny Rotten .

Joe Strummer's band.Public schoolboy.Great band.

J.Lydon - working class upbringing.Sorry to be off topic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Like"

I'm outta likes :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Too many people condemn the rare/underplayed scene without actually knowing what they're talking about IMO its proper f***ing northern soul!!!!!

Yes - as long as its not rare for rare sake then I'm on board - Quality is the main objective.

Back in the early days it was a bit like Monty Python - 1/2 hr of drivel for 5 mins of genius !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can we get rid of this misconception thats trotted out on here time & time again - not all places that dont play top 500 oldies play mid tempo "tosh" as you call it - try the burnley all nighter - up tempo dance music all night

The butch tape from 91 (whilst top quality soul) is not necessarily indicative of what he plays out at Lifeline or the 100 club which is good fantastic dance music

How many records discovered in the 80s/90s and even beyond do you know and have listened to out??

Of course your right Steve, unless you left the scene after 2 or 3 years, has recently returned and feel your in a position to say us who in the main kept at it got it all so wrong in their absence.

Social source share

No offence taken Bruv.

I'm not going to pretend that I've heard all the stuff and yes I will gladly get up to Burnley with an open mind. Used to go to Angels to hear Curtis there.....sorry too long ago!

I'm no expert mate, just like a good dance and still preoccupied catching up on the oldies that I missed 'cos I didn't spend all night plowing through record boxes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am a fan of soul music and particularly like to hear new stuff. However, a lot of what gets played is most definitely NOT proper northern soul.

A lot of the stuff i heard in the 80's, 90's, 00's was and is proper northern soul. A fair proportion of what I hear played out and about now as new discoveries isn't.

Social source share

Joe Strummer's band.Public schoolboy.Great band.

J.Lydon - working class upbringing.Sorry to be off topic.

On topic ... do you think the Clash version of " police and thieves " would hold up in a chill out style soul venue :wink::wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Let's not go there, the Clash ending up "selling out" by becoming Americanised and playing stadiums and letting their music be used for Levis ads. You know, ads, same as Johnny Rotten. They are all as bad (or as good) as each other.

Social source share

Let's not go there, the Clash ending up "selling out" by becoming Americanised and playing stadiums and letting their music be used for Levis ads. You know, ads, same as Johnny Rotten. They are all as bad (or as good) as each other.

Like i said Pete ... politics of the punk revolution by passed me ...i

I like music and don't care about what they do in their spare time ..to be totally honest ,musicians who think they are above us mere mortals and preach bollox about saving the planet,making a differerence etc ...get right on my pluck ... Bob Geldof ,Sting et al ... theyre all " do as i say and not as i do " merchants ...just takin the p*ss to further their own objectives ..MAKING MORE MONEY !

Social source share

Like i said Pete ... politics of the punk revolution by passed me ...i

I like music and don't care about what they do in their spare time ..to be totally honest ,musicians who think they are above us mere mortals and preach bollox about saving the planet,making a differerence etc ...get right on my pluck ... Bob Geldof ,Sting et al ... theyre all " do as i say and not as i do " merchants ...just takin the p*ss to further their own objectives ..MAKING MORE MONEY !

I went to see John Lydon and PIL last year, £30 a ticket. Good show but too few songs, many of them extended to like 12" versions, too much of the new album and not enough classics the fans would have liked to hear. At least I achieved a lifetime goal which was to actually see John Lydon in the flesh, having been a fan of but the Pistols since their first album but never having seen them live.

Social source share

I am a fan of soul music and particularly like to hear new stuff. However, a lot of what gets played is most definitely NOT proper northern soul.

A lot of the stuff i heard in the 80's, 90's, 00's was and is proper northern soul. A fair proportion of what I hear played out and about now as new discoveries isn't.

Care to give us any examples of that? Which venues, what records arent proper northern soul?

I'm not talking here about venues that play crossover, modern or "across the board" (f***ing hate that term)

I'm talking about venues such as Burnley, Lifeline, 100 club, Empty Bottles and other similar places that play dance music true to the original ethos of the scene

I dont know if you ever frequent such places but if you did you wouldnt be able to tell me that what Butch, Andy Dyson, Mick H and lots of others play isnt proper northern soul

Social source share

Ay Oop Dave.

I knew what you meant Barry......As for the rest? All I can say is - How many times have you lost the remotes? - It’s sooooo annoying, especially when you end up finding them right next to you after all!.....

.....Now, that's cryptic! :)

All the best,

Len :)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

....and in addition.....I take offence at 'Mid-tempo Tosh' (Obviously) :)

All the best,

P.s - At 'The Den' I played 8 'Midtempo Magic' (Which I prefer to call them) records to not just a packed room, but a packed dance floor.....I really should have taken a photo (that had sound)....

Social source share

All the best,

P.s - At 'The Den' I played 8 'Midtempo Magic' (Which I prefer to call them) records to not just a packed room, but a packed dance floor.....I really should have taken a photo (that had sound)....

All the best,

Sorry to offend.......and it was "slosh" not "tosh".........."the slosh" being a waltz style dance popular with my parents' generation :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry to offend.......and it was "slosh" not "tosh".........."the slosh" being a waltz style dance popular with my parents' generation :thumbsup:

You’re right, it was 'Slosh’ - My mistake (well actually it was Steve’s mistake but I wouldn’t be so petty as to point that out) :) No offence taken really, I was just pushing the point that (as had been said many times) we all have different tastes…..it’s just unfortunate that only mine is correct :)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Care to give us any examples of that? Which venues, what records arent proper northern soul?

I'm not talking here about venues that play crossover, modern or "across the board" (f***ing hate that term)

I'm talking about venues such as Burnley, Lifeline, 100 club, Empty Bottles and other similar places that play dance music true to the original ethos of the scene

I dont know if you ever frequent such places but if you did you wouldnt be able to tell me that what Butch, Andy Dyson, Mick H and lots of others play isnt proper northern soul

Butch, Andy D and Mick H do play proper northern soul, agreed.

many others don't

Social source share

You’re right, it was 'Slosh’ - My mistake (well actually it was Steve’s mistake but I wouldn’t be so petty as to point that out) :) No offence taken really, I was just pushing the point that (as had been said many times) we all have different tastes…..it’s just unfortunate that only mine is correct :)

All the best,

:thumbup: run out of "likes"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Joe Strummer would never have got involved with "Buttergate".

Although Lydon missed a trick.He should have done the ad for Anchor - then feltipped a "W" on every tub.

All the best..,,,Linton Kwesi Johnson. :hatsoff2:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Too right steve...well said.......always makes me smile when these fellas bang on about dance music ...they usually attend venues that play la la dance music mel britt ect ect........yet whenever i,ve seen any of em at burnley they can,t keep up with the pace and then f*ck off home at 4 cause they,ve got work on wednesday lol :thumbsup::lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I knew what you meant Barry......As for the rest? All I can say is - How many times have you lost the remotes? - It’s sooooo annoying, especially when you end up finding them right next to you after all!.....

.....Now, that's cryptic! :)

All the best,

Tosh aka la la music......in this case....soul music played out of context and crossover car music

Social source share

Too right steve...well said.......always makes me smile when these fellas bang on about dance music ...they usually attend venues that play la la dance music mel britt ect ect........yet whenever i,ve seen any of em at burnley they can,t keep up with the pace and then f*ck off home at 4 cause they,ve got work on wednesday lol :thumbsup::lol: :lol:

Mel Britt..........top tune

See you at Burnley :shades:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!