40 Somethings

Tezza

Tosh aka la la music......in this case....soul music played out of context and crossover car music

….and of course, there's the other argument (or shall we kindly say disagreement?) with ref to 'Soul Music' or 'Northern Soul Music' and there is a difference - It’s, what ‘Soul Music’ should or shouldn’t be accepted on the Northern Soul Scene? This is why some folk hate using the term ‘Northern Soul’

Car music? Not for you Terry I know - you just sling it out of the window if you don't like it! lol

All the best,

Len :)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Hey, I just removed a post in Wants section.

Barry and Jocko just stick to argument and try not to personalise it too much.

It doesn't make you misguided,deluded or a "bad person" just because you have opposing viewpoints.

ROD [Forum Moderator]

Sorry Rod you have lost me. Which post did you remove? And if its something between Barry and me I suspect it's consenting banter. Might have been worth checking first, as I am trying my bestest not to get personal here. So if I failed it would be good to know where.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

….and of course, there's the other argument (or shall we kindly say disagreement?) with ref to 'Soul Music' or 'Northern Soul Music' and there is a difference - It’s, what ‘Soul Music’ should or shouldn’t be accepted on the Northern Soul Scene? This is why some folk hate using the term ‘Northern Soul’

Car music? Not for you Terry I know - you just sling it out of the window if you don't like it! lol

All the best,

the M.6 is littered with la la cd,s

Social source share

I'll be 44 in a few months and across the board IS the way.

Life would be boring if we just liked one style of music or even one style of soul.

Soul is soul whether it be deep, crossover, oldies stompers, rare, underplayed, modern, whatever.

For the record, I used to hate modern with a passion but although my preference is still rare soul, I am coming over to the dark (modern) side more frequently now and even have a few dozen modern tunes in my collection now!

Also sometimes I feel as if us younger ones who never came onto the scene until the 80s or in my case the 90s are treated like we don't know a thing about the music and should bow down to our elders.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'll be 44 in a few months and across the board IS the way.

So we have a night where X amount of people are dancing to Northern, then someone plays crossover and the first lot sit down and a second lot get up, then someone plays R & B so the second lot sit down and another lot get up - and so on and so on. It's either a Northern Soul event or it's not. If it's advertised as a Northern Soul night then play Northern Soul then the people attending won't feel they've been duped. And before someone says "well the more enlightened ones would stay on the floor and dance to all of them" - those people are a tiny minority.

I know I don't go out much but I have been out - a lot, an awful lot - in the past, from the ages of 14 up until maybe 10 years ago, and I would not set foot in a place which advertised itself as Across The Board because I'd spend half the night waiting for the crossover and modern to end.Where's the fun in that?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Will it be like prohibition,doors of oldies allnighters being boarded up,records collected and smashed(no wont be that what about the ones the oldies haters have thatey can make money on)cull all oldies and oldies djs,phooken hell elliot ness aint got a word in i.In group out group division,basic psychology old as time as is old v new .The santising continues,the gear,the beer,the 70 s even using the word the "scene" to descrbe what to me and many others was is and always will be the"scene".Now how 1984 never mind the senenties can you get than this orwellian attack on languageJust do what and go where you want to go to listen to what you want to hear,why the phook are you going places you dislike the music atAlso its very Orwellian again in line with 1984 to deny history,cut it out it wasnt part of us seems to becoming a cry heard quite often.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

So we have a night where X amount of people are dancing to Northern, then someone plays crossover and the first lot sit down and a second lot get up, then someone plays R & B so the second lot sit down and another lot get up - and so on and so on. It's either a Northern Soul event or it's not. If it's advertised as a Northern Soul night then play Northern Soul then the people attending won't feel they've been duped. And before someone says "well the more enlightened ones would stay on the floor and dance to all of them" - those people are a tiny minority.

I know I don't go out much but I have been out - a lot, an awful lot - in the past, from the ages of 14 up until maybe 10 years ago, and I would not set foot in a place which advertised itself as Across The Board because I'd spend half the night waiting for the crossover and modern to end.Where's the fun in that?

to right things should do what they say on the labels. Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Fair enough but don't many venues have oldies/northern in the main room and a second or even third room for R&B or modern or even ska/reggae in some places these days?

Social source share

Let's be honest, 'Across The Board' means ‘Mainly Northern and a bit of some at else thrown in’ - Most 'Across The Board' nights I've attended have been 'Fine 'n' Dandy', probably because it's actually not the 'true' meaning of 'Across The Board' But we all know what we're gonna get - A great night out actually.....HOW DARE WE?!!!! :)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What Butch was playing was on a RADIO show, not for a crowd of dancers,, but for those interested in music and as you can probably tell having a laugh.

Like you said it has always been an elitist scene, it is based on and revolves round (no pun intended) rare records, not your everyday rubbish you hear on MTV, doesn't get any more elitist does it.

But again looking at what you say and your preconceived ideas it is quite clear you don't get to many venues that try and continue what the scene was all about once upon a time.

Not dissing the Butch tapes, enjoyed them and the pic's were ace. The point I made was that the stuff that PeteS put in his "unpopular" sounds pod-cast included more good dance records.

Also, I hate it when DJ's talk over records whether they're on the radio or not.

Find it odd that you think that dancers aren't interested in music...........what are they going to dance to without it?

So we agree on the elitism bit then.

As to having preconceived ideas about rare soul, as I've said above I'm no expert, but my views are based on listening to Carl Willingham. I know Maria's brother Mark. Mark started collecting stuff 10+ years ago, guided by Carl & Maria and I in turn got to hear a fair bit and have been to a few of their nights........... and I still prefer my oldies.

You are dead right, I need to go to places to hear this high tempo fantastic northern soul that I am obviously missing out on, so, as I have mentioned above, I'm going to get my self up to Burnley and see if I can keep up with the younger lads who apparently dance 'til dawn up there.

I'll let you know how I get on. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Its a sort of psychoanalytic thing,I wont say Freudian because that puts everthing down to sex.However in all psychanalysis repressed angry emotions we feel for our parents,caregivers (their theories not mine)can emerge after many years and that lorryload of anger and resentment can then be transferred on to a suitable taget parent figure,hey presto,parent =oldies=northern soul oldies,especially those associated with clubs requented by those of a good few years older than yer self!So go on have a good old rage at it all let it all out,tell the harley street shrinks to phook off yer,l do yer own psychobiznez yer self.Its healthy ,its cathartic,let it all out ,have a hate on the oldies, (tounge in cheek) It really does you good to let it all out.Youll feel better on monday

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Let's be honest, 'Across The Board' means ‘Mainly Northern and a bit of some at else thrown in’ - Most 'Across The Board' nights I've attended have been 'Fine 'n' Dandy', probably because it's actually not the 'true' meaning of 'Across The Board' But we all know what we're gonna get - A great night out actually.....HOW DARE WE?!!!! :)

All the best,

The bit of something else is usually Drizabone or Angie Stone, northern in how they sound, not across he board with proper modern, or even decent 70's/80's modern. It is an advertising ploy and most promoters who use it should be prosecuted under the trades description act :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Not dissing the Butch tapes, enjoyed them and the pic's were ace. The point I made was that the stuff that PeteS put in his "unpopular" sounds pod-cast included more good dance records.

Also, I hate it when DJ's talk over records whether they're on the radio or not.

Find it odd that you think that dancers aren't interested in music...........what are they going to dance to without it?

As to having preconceived ideas about rare soul, as I've said above I'm no expert, but my views are based on listening to Carl Willingham. I know Maria's brother Mark. Mark started collecting stuff 10+ years ago, guided by Carl & Maria and I in turn got to hear a fair bit and have been to a few of their nights........... and I still prefer my oldies.

You are dead right, I need to go to places to hear this high tempo fantastic northern soul that I am obviously missing out on, so, as I have mentioned above, I'm going to get my self up to Burnley and see if I can keep up with the younger lads who apparently dance 'til dawn up there.

I think many go out mainly for the social aspect and don't care what they are listening too, usually it is what they heard he previous week and so on. But that is their choice, we all have a choice. It's about time people just got on with what they wanted to do and listen to and stopped using derogatory terms for somethng they usually don't understand. Many in here use the term rare soul to diss a venue or listeners whose choice isn't the top 500, more often than not they haven't even tried one of these venues and they don't realise Northern Soul and Rare Soul are one and the same.

Live and let live.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Even monthly Friday " oldies " nights at Wigan were across the board, with new modern stuff being given lots of plays (remember some people muttering 'funky shit'), Lots of solid sixties stompers, people shaking their heads in disbelief and horror at clip clop super oldies like 'it keeps raining' and 'hey girl don't bother me' getting spun, frenetic shufflers 'l.o.v.e' by Leon Thomas and 'summer in the parks' driving people insane with their frantic funkiness !

There was even then in 1980 something being played for everyone, but never did I dream that 33 years later I'd still having to be hearing the bloody Tomangoes! (great record tho it is !!!)

Social source share

I think many go out mainly for he social aspect an dont care what they are listening too, usually it is what they heard he previous week and so on. But hat is their choice, we all have a choice. It's about time people just got on with what they wanted to do and listen to and stopped using derogatory terms for somethng they usually don't understand. Many in here use the term rare soul to diss a venue or listeners whose choice isn't the top 500, more often than not they haven't even tried one of these venues and they don't realise Northern Soul and Rare Soul are one and the same.

Live and let live.

:) out of "likes"

Social source share

Its a sort of psychoanalytic thing,I wont say Freudian because that puts everthing down to sex.However in all psychanalysis repressed angry emotions we feel for our parents,caregivers (their theories not mine)can emerge after many years and that lorryload of anger and resentment can then be transferred on to a suitable taget parent figure,hey presto,parent =oldies=northern soul oldies,especially those associated with clubs requented by those of a good few years older than yer self!So go on have a good old rage at it all let it all out,tell the harley street shrinks to phook off yer,l do yer own psychobiznez yer self.Its healthy ,its cathartic,let it all out ,have a hate on the oldies, (tounge in cheek) It really does you good to let it all out.Youll feel better on monday

As Johnny Rotten said - "Anger is an energy!!!"

Alwight Manus? :)

All the best,

Social source share

The bit of something else is usually Drizabone or Angie Stone, northern in how they sound, not across he board with proper modern, or even decent 70's/80's modern. It is an advertising ploy and most promoters who use it should be prosecuted under the trades description act :D

Not forgetting - 'Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good' - I've got a copy Chalky :)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

It's about time people just got on with what they wanted to do and listen to and stopped using derogatory terms for somethng they usually don't understand.

The 'Norm' is for people to attack anything they don't understand, it has been by my experience anyway mate - Mainly, 'me' being what is attacked! lol

All the best,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Plus Home is Where the Heart I, I'm so happy, Love Is A Serious Business etc etc :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

As Johnny Rotten said - "Anger is an energy!!!"

Alwight Manus? :)

All the best,

Yes mate, as well as can be expected,threw a few snowballs during the week that got rid of a bit of repressed anger I had accumulated during the week,had to have a smile at the little comment exchange with your self and terry,I envisaged all though cd s flying out the car window up and down the motorways of our land.Like the scene in "bravo 5 zero",where Sean Beans remembers being in the car with his mate who after reading the titles of the cd s throws them out the window one by one.Imo the oldies v newies will never end its inherent in human nature not just soul music but good comes from constructive sometimes even destructive means.

Will be there at the next bowl night manus .

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

across the board = nothing for anyone not something for everyone .....we all spend 8 hours at a venue liking only about an hours worth of stuff......recipe for disaster

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

You forgot prince phillip mitchell :D :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ha Ha......look forward to ya visit i,m 56 by the way my other half is ** my mates are all in their mid fifties the mansfield lads are in their 60's so are the carlisle fellas........wey hey

Social source share

You forgot prince phillip mitchell :D :D

I consider them oldies to be honest, records I'd expect to hear at a Northern oldies night. I'm talking about what some promoters refer to as "modern", Angie Stone, Drizabone and other more recent releases and therefore they run an across the board night :rolleyes:

Social source share

II'll crank my old soap box up again, To my understanding the concept of Northern soul is about looking into the past and reteiving or reviving music that evokes passion, expressed by dancing as well as chin stoking, next craning and oh clapping, sometimes. You can buy nigh on all the top 500 in tesco's with your nectar points, thats why I think playing the same oldies ad infinium is both boring and not actually true to the original concept of northern soul.

If you want to be left alone to wallow in nostalgia, thats fine by me, I have far more difficulty understanding why some of the younger crew's insist on an oldies obsession rather than making the music and the scene truely their own, but time, I hope, may resolve that issue.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the're bleedin oldies as well! albeit modern oldies, So were talking about acorss the board oldies nights, lol?

Social source share

1 Not all fish have scales, especially those which are indigenous to Scotland

2 Isn't banging on about being at it in the 80's & 90's just as nostalgic as banging on about the previous two decades?

Havent seen anyone bangng on about the 80s or 90s, especially on this thread, although I mention a distinct gap in the scene history in other threads from the historic rewrites (to cover the masses absence I guess, 'wasnt worth going then guv')

Nothing wrong with a bit of a fond look back every now and again. But to try and take the scene back into 2 or 3 year bubble from the 70s is something quite different.

Social source share

Sorry Rod you have lost me. Which post did you remove? And if its something between Barry and me I suspect it's consenting banter. Might have been worth checking first, as I am trying my bestest not to get personal here. So if I failed it would be good to know where.

It was me knocked up record label that's caused the bother, they misconstrued my poor comedy for nastiness I think.

Social source share

Not all removed themselves from the Circus in the 80's and 90's. In defence of those that did, it probably wasn't because it wasn't for them but due to financial restraints from raising Families etc. But is that reason enough to tell them where they are obviously wrong ??

Going on personal experience I'll use Notts Palais alldayers as a local example. When I first went in 78 the bus from my then hometown Eastwood to Nottingham (coming from Alfreton, Ripley) was chocker both decs. 18 months later It was empty but for me. I now see old mates who are 'back on the scene' and it wasn't in the main because of family etc, it was because they'd decided it was over for them. Nothing wrong with that.

Although when I see them now and they're telling me to get myself to the Grosvenor rooms for some real northern and not that sh1t I listen to.

I'm not telling them they are wrong to leg it, do what you like with life but expect me to have a distinct lack of respect for anyone like this telling me what Northern is and isn't based on scene they volleyed after a brief experience.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Havent seen anyone bangng on about the 80s or 90s, especially on this thread, although I mention a distinct gap in the scene history in other threads from the historic rewrites (to cover the masses absence I guess, 'wasnt worth going then guv')

Nothing wrong with a bit of a fond look back every now and again. But to try and take the scene back into 2 or 3 year bubble from the 70s is something quite different.

Barry did the world end in the 8ts & 9ts ?

Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

Ha Ha......look forward to ya visit i,m 56 by the way my other half is ** my mates are all in their mid fifties the mansfield lads are in their 60's so are the carlisle fellas........wey hey

My esteemed companions might be nudging that way but I'm most certainly not I'll have you know (Cheeky tw@t) :huh::ohmy::)

Edited by Steve L
Social source share

Going on personal experience I'll use Notts Palais alldayers as a local example. When I first went in 78 the bus from my then hometown Eastwood to Nottingham (coming from Alfreton, Ripley) was chocker both decs. 18 months later It was empty but for me. I now see old mates who are 'back on the scene' and it wasn't in the main because of family etc, it was because they'd decided it was over for them. Nothing wrong with that.

Although when I see them now and they're telling me to get myself to the Grosvenor rooms for some real northern and not that sh1t I listen to.

I'm not telling them they are wrong to leg it, do what you like with life but expect me to have a distinct lack of respect for anyone like this telling me what Northern is and isn't based on scene they volleyed after a brief experience.

:ohmy::lol: hilarious

Social source share

You can only comment on personal experience. Totally 100% agree mate.

Social source share

:ohmy::lol: hilarious

Even better, was having a drink with a mate in Ilkeston few years back and a couple of lads come and sat with us, one kitted out in bags etc. 'where you been Byrney... Not off to the Regency rooms then? ... Spose someone has to keep the faith then, '. Vaguely remember him doing the odd nighter and then vanished.

We gave the regency rooms a miss :)

Social source share

Barry did the world end in the 8ts & 9ts ?

Kev :hatsoff2:

Of course not, thanks to Lifeline, 100 club etc carrying on the ethos.

I'm not Barry by the way, he's far more eloquent

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Again reading through this thread topic it becomes another proving ground - that 95% of older people cannot accept change. Ruled by habit, routine and traditions.

Great to read that we actually have some of this 5 % who post on SS who have welcomed and witnessed this "journey of musical acceptance".

A huge thumbs up to regulars like Davetay and Gordon Russell etc etc !!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Again reading through this thread topic it becomes another proving ground - that 95% of older people cannot accept change. Ruled by habit, routine and traditions.

Great to read that we actually have some of this 5 % who post on SS who have welcomed and witnessed this "journey of musical acceptance".

A huge thumbs up to regulars like Davetay and Gordon Russell etc etc !!

:thumbsup:

Older people ruled by Habit you say. If that is the case can we say that 'Younger' people are ruled by Fashion and Peer pressure, unable to make up their own minds and go along with the trend or what their mates are doing. Swings both ways.

Older people are probably not 'ruled by Habit' but have been around long enough to have experienced plenty and have found what they like the most. Change for change sake is not always good. One mans tat is another mans gold. If you don't like something is it OK to tell others that they are wrong.

Bon Jovi are on a massive Sell Out Tour at present - feckin' hate Bon Jovi but obviously it appeals to thousands, and looking at record sales, millions of others. Who is wrong or write ???

Musical acceptance - Acceptance is a negative word in that it implies you had no other choise but to accept. There's nothing you can do about it so you may as well accept it ?!?!? - That's what buggered it up to start with !!

A huge thumbs up to Barry and PeteS as they agree with my point of view ?? Noice !!!!!

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Being at the "younger end" of 40 something and collecting / listening to ALL kinds of soul music since my teens, but only really getting deeper into Northern and Rare soul + going to more events this last 3 or 4 years, I still remain amazed and frustrated in equal measure with the blinkered view of some people (including many 40 somethings and younger!) when it comes listening, dancing or just generally talking about this unbelievable range of music we all love.

We belong to something pretty special I think, so whether it's 60's or current releases, well known things or the "new to your ears" things, 100mph or deep and sweet soul etc etc...Just take a step back and feel lucky to be able to enjoy it. :yes:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well one thing is certain, since I first began my love of soul music in 1970 (for want of a better label) and then the northern scene from 1971 onwards, rarely, if ever has a group of chaps discussing the merits of the music played at venues ever agreed. All the points of view raised on here kinda confirm this I guess?

In the 70t's, what we thought was new stuff, had been popular at the Wheel or somewhere and the old timers were sick of hearing the "oldies" from the wheel getting played out too much. So I guess not that much has changed.

I attended events almost as a religion until 78, then married, kid etc. Kept my records and kept buying and finding new stuff through CD, came back to venues 7 years ago, still like to hear some of the old stuff played out, but really enjoying how each week I "discover" new stuff to ears and seek them out. In my home i will play out oldies, xover, and even the slower stuff. If it is a good record it gets played out!.

So topics like this will continued to be debated up and down the land until our hearing aids wear out, the zimmers are knackered and the grandkids give our records to a charity shop when we are gone.

So in conclusion, diversity of musical tastes will always be there and if someone wants to hear the 500 or only super rare stuff that no-one dances to then that is their choice. I say embrace them all as we are lucky to have such a mountain of great music to enjoy. And, lets be honest, Beatles and Elvis fans ONLY have the same old records to hear and I don't hear them complaining...

Edited by jim g
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!