Pay Pal Fees- Who's Place Is It To Pay Them, Buyer/seller>?

Mal C

No right or wrong answer really Mal - whatever works for you, just make sure you're upfront when folk enquire (which I know you would be). Personally, I prefer buyers to pay by gift so I don't bear the fees - but if they feel they want the protection, I ask them to add 4% of the total (inc postage) to cover my end. Pikeys Dog is another approach to the same issue.

As a buyer, I usually pay by gift to sellers on here because most folk are known and trustworthy - I've never had any problems. That's probably why I sell on that basis. If I was selling anywhere other than SS, I would more than likely be more cautious.

Social source share

Why should buyer cover this? Do you expect your local supermarket to add %4 on top of your bill if you pay by card instead of cash?

I know, Paypal fees are like a red rug to many. Yet w/out Paypal many sales wouldn't happen.

I'm canversing general opinion, over here they put a min spend in allot of places on card ransactions, up to ten quid some times.

all I know is when I actually start making a loss on records I've paid a certain amount on in the past, its not really worth selling them to my mind... but there you go..

Thanks all, appreciate your feedback.

M

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Why should buyer cover this? Do you expect your local supermarket to add %4 on top of your bill if you pay by card instead of cash?

The thing is though, and rather sadly, when you buy online it's often the poor customer who has to pay. Airline and concert tickets are both prime examples. Just at the point you're ready to pay, they add on an extra charge that varies in its outrageousness depending on the method you're using to pay.

Transaction costs should be built into the profit margins and that's it. Quite frankly, if I was buying a record and a seller asked me to pay Paypal costs, I'd tell them to stick it up where the transactions don't shine!

Social source share

I know, Paypal fees are like a red rug to many. Yet w/out Paypal many sales wouldn't happen.

I will only send as 'gift' to people I have bought from in the past and trust..

Agreed - paypal does enable a transaction mechanism so helping to facilitate sales and buyers should generally factor that in..

But Benji, be careful with your red 'rug' you'll find it will be like a red 'rag' to a bull :ohmy:

Social source share

It's the seller's responsibility. As echoed before, it's the cost of doing business (and is a business deduction).

I do have a chap that's bought some bulk 45 lots from me where I have a 60-minute round trip drive to drop them off (he lives out of town, so I drop them at his sister's house). I do ask him to send any payment through PayPal as a gift to offset the petrol costs.

Social source share

I have card facilities and I don't charge people extra for using them, therefore I'd be in the wrong to charge people for using paypal as it's the same thing really. However I am lucky in that 99% of people will send the paypal to me as a gift because they know they've nothing to worry about. If I were having to pay for it every time, I might literally go back to cheques and cash. Mal C was right earlier, many shops DO charge you for using card facilities and have a minimum £10 spend. Not a lot of difference really.

Social source share

PayPal normal arrangement is the seller pays the fees. This is automatic.

Asking the seller to pay is a change to that normal arrangement.

Gift is OK if the seller offers no quibble full refund (as buyer signs away protection).

Don't think asking buyer to pay the fees for protection is good form. Plus, as I said at the start, the PayPal principle is that the seller pays.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

PayPal normal arrangement is the seller pays the fees. This is automatic.

Asking the seller to pay is a change to that normal arrangement.

Gift is OK if the seller offers no quibble full refund (as buyer signs away protection).

Don't think asking buyer to pay the fees for protection is good form. Plus, as I said at the start, the PayPal principle is that the seller pays.

Cheers

Richard

From PayPal website - some headline information:

Buying something

PayPal is free whenever you use it to buy something or make a payment in the UK. The seller pays us a small fee to securely handle your payment. As a buyer, we will not charge you to use PayPal unless it involves currency conversion.

Selling something

Depending on the volume of sales or invoices, PayPal charges sellers a fee of between 1.4% and 3.4% on the total sale amount plus a 20p per transaction.

See a full breakdown of seller fees.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

the gift option is good but you absolutely have to trust the seller to use it safely.

its a horrible feeling when someone grades a record as mint but when it arrives its got 40+ marks on it, youve paid 3 figures for it by gift. the seller starts acting like a cock and you cant get your money back. and this happened on here even with the feedback system in place.

i feel its the sellers responsibility to take the hit not the buyers and i say that selling more than i buy of late.

BEWARE of people who will only take payment a gifts. that's just wrong and an accident waiting to happen.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Carling

Paypal are providing a service and i think it only right that they should charge a fee to cover there cost, i believe that the seller should pay this fee as he's the one that gains financialy from any sale.

Andy

Edited by soul in the shed
Social source share

It is the sellers responsibility at the end of the day. As a seller you either take it on the chin or factor in extra costs in your sale price, just like a supermarket would.

But if something can be worked out between you then all well and good.

If a seller insists on the "gift" option he or she should state this in the sale advert.

Social source share

I only pay as gift if it's someone I've bought from before. If someone without feedback or not bought from before, I pm them and say I'll add on a percentage to cover charges, just to cover myself. If a seller has a problem with that, then I'd say they're not to be trusted.

But to avoid any charges, there's always the possibility of a bank transfer, but again only if dealing with reputable seller.

Social source share

General consensus seems to be the seller should pay fees. (Which I personally agree with). The problem here seems to be that , if you snooze, you loose. Meaning, if you don't pay, you miss getting that item you'd really like?

Why do we keep using PayPal? We all have bank accounts don't we? A bank transfer is free for both parties, it is almost instant too. So I suggest, we refuse to pay seller fees, then hopefully this will stop*

*we live in hope

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest micky p

Hello to all ! firstly i'll say sorry now cos ive been on the forums,telling people the truth for hours ! and if the truth hurts then change ur name to billy liar ! lol Paypal ! one of my favourite subjects as they take a fortune off me as a seller ! if you want to buy or sell a rare record or whatever and chose to send as a gift then do it ! but one day it will come back and bite you in the ass ! as it only takes one regular nice chap to open a case with ebay after he gets ur money saying you asked him to do an out of ebay transaction ! then youre account will be cancelled and u or him would have lost plenty money as the protection we recieve by using paypal is not there ! for instance "ive got 200 pairs of adidas porch trainers that retail at £240 ! im selling them buy now with free postage for £90 but ive not got pay pal so ill get all 200 to send money by gift ! at that price they would sell in less than a week ! great for me but not for u cos what i did not tell you was im using a counterfit bank account,sold shite for a month to get my score up and then closed both ebay and bank accounts and ive saved the best till last ! ill send u a picture of the trainers with a caption saying "LOOK AT WHAT YOU COULD HAVE WON" PMSL !!! and the morrel of the story is ! ebay is a buisness not a charrity ! if the shoe was on the other foot ! you need to sell items,then account for a loss now and then as you will make it back 10 fold on other items ! yes, i know i go on and on but its fun pretending to know everything about everything ! :g: ill leave you with this ! "if you had a coal fire and toddlers would you leave the fire gaurd off " ? :sleep3: wake up haha im looking forward to any replies ! im harmless you know ! does anyone wanna buy any new trainers ? keep the faith brothers and sisters , micky p in the toon

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!