‘Soul People Of Interest’

Len

Guest sharmo 1

Robin is up on Teeside somewhere Prof. You will have seen him post on here - he was taking his bairn out sledging last week. He was always a likeable lad back in the day - err, and I'm sure he is now!

peter

Nice i allway's thought he looked and dressed totally different from everyone else at the time and played really revolutionary records especially for the time.Adam has alway's spent plenty of time in deep coversation with me and alway's admired the way he could fill the floor with a four quid number .regards proff.

Social source share

Hi nice yes both Robin and Adam at the Odd Fellows Adam had hair then as i recall regards Proff,

Didn't you all back then?! lol Everytime Nina and I watch one of the many documentry's that feature Keb Darge, like clock work Nina always says "Look, Keb with hair!" - Brilliant!

Len :)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Nice i allway's thought he looked and dressed totally different from everyone else at the time and played really revolutionary records especially for the time.Adam has alway's spent plenty of time in deep coversation with me and alway's admired the way he could fill the floor with a four quid number .regards proff.

Yep,he did didn't he. I was in my prime on the scene around this time I guess. If you recall Tony Clayton opened the seperate modern room at Odd Felllows - can't remember if it was upstairs or down - down stairs I think. I've got some cd's of Robins sets somewhere. I'll have to dig em out.

Peter

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Didn't you all back then?! lol Everytime Nina and I watch one of the many documentry's that feature Keb Darge, like clock work Nina always says "Look, Keb with hair!" - Brilliant!

Len i still have .
Social source share

I met up with Robin about six year back at The Sands @ Southport Weekender for a chinwag - first time I'd actually seen him since we played a gig at The Dolphin in Holborn in the nineties sometime and nearly fell off me chair - how can I put this???...he used to have a lovely thatch of hair! :wink:

(not bitching, my Cadfael is coming on)

Social source share

Hi Aid, don't know Mike but know who Wayne is.

I remember going to see Brian @ The Carlton, Sam was with him and asking for their autographs :lol: on the inside of a box of ten Regal.

Bri is on @ The Northern Line in Wazza this Sat, although I keep in touch on FB I haven't seen him for years, so going to nip up and buy him a pint.

Not sure if I can make it yet, but might see you there myself pal, :thumbsup:

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This was me back then - this might have been at Odd Fellows but can't really remember. Me and my best mate Terry used to drive over to Leics - and everywhere else, in his MG sports car, from the lincolnshire coast where I used to live. Roof down blasting out - amongst other things, Bobby Womacks two Poet albums. We were living the dream - and off our heads!

post-5734-0-59768700-1359062538_thumb.jp

Happy days eh.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

This was me back then - this might have been at Odd Fellows but can't really remember. Me and my best mate Terry used to drive over to Leics - and everywhere else, in his MG sports car, from the lincolnshire coast where I used to live. Roof down blasting out - amongst other things, Bobby Womacks two Poet albums. We were living the dream - and off our heads!

Happy days eh.

Peter

Nice is that a shirt or full bodie tattoo mate ? I bet Ted Massey would pay big buck's for that one mate regards Prof. Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

When I first got into nighters Steve Whittle was the main influence on me musically.

...and a little bit later Gary Rushbrooke

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Happy days eh.

Peter

bloody hell,i remember you bud,wasnt pals as such but certainly on nodding terms in the 80s,brings back some fantastic memories bud

jason

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nice is that a shirt or full bodie tattoo mate ? I bet Ted Massey would pay big buck's for that one mate regards Prof.

It's a nice shirt Prof, very fancy at the time. In them days I was engaged to a very pretty girl who was a hair stylist - she went on to great things and became a top stylist with Tony and Guy in Canada.

Regards Nice.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

It's a nice shirt Prof, very fancy at the time. In them days I was engaged to a very pretty girl who was a hair stylist - she went on to great things and became a top stylist with Tony and Guy in Canada.

Regards Nice.

Clayton and Henagan ? Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

bloody hell,i remember you bud,wasnt pals as such but certainly on nodding terms in the 80s,brings back some fantastic memories bud

jason

I'm really pleased to hear that Jason - you're a good lad. Nodding terms was pals - I wasn't a big talker back then. I was a dancer, loved the music and the gear, and as a consequence suffered from the occupational hazzard of paranoia! You're definitely a pal of mine.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'll be the skinhead with the Fred Perry zip up, dungarees, brown brogue boots and the unfeasibly young girl friend. :wink:

and the clown mask.. you forgot the clownmask

Social source share

Back to Adam!

I think his strengths are that he's a natural DJ as well as a soul fan. Love's being on stage and entertaining. He enjoys the music passionately and that comes accross. I think it was good that he was more on the modern edge as the record collecting and rialries of collectors on that part of the scene are not as intense as on the 60s end of it and there is more camaraderie and genuine enthusiasm in finding new sounds for those people. The 60s end is so intense that I think a lot of DJs aren't happy if a rival finds a brilliant new sound ahead of them; they probably don't even enjoy it knowing the credit will go to an arch rival.

Adam has also always remembered his roots and his love of early Northern and 60s mod club soul. I think some on the modern scene forsook those sides for a while. So his ability to throw a few of them into a set or even do a full set of them stands him in good stead to the varied tastes of punters on the scene nowadays. In fact with the likes of Just Soul and Village and Majestic Soul, you could say the modern scene is now approaching his sort of approach more than ever. I know Sean Hampsey was a big influence on him from the Rotherham dos where he really got going.

Yes, once you can’t smell the sweaty socks of the people dancing to your records, you’ve lost touch - Adam has never done that.....

.....I know what I mean :)

Social source share

Yes, once you can’t smell the sweaty socks of the people dancing to your records, you’ve lost touch - Adam has never done that.....

.....I know what I mean :)

.....smelly socks, that reminds me of another "interesting soul person"......Malcolm who was a permanent fixture on the floor in front of the stage at Wigan and who I used to see at the reincarnated wheel. :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: :sweatingbullets:

:sweatingbullets:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Sheeeat! That would have pushed me over the edge back in the day. :sweatingbullets: :sweatingbullets:

Fcuk - I can picture it now.

Peter

Now that is strange......used to be a fella (don,t know who he was?) for a few weeks he used to stand in the beacncomber with a plastic mask on smoking a ciggy thrugh the hole in the mouth.....used to sh*t me right up lol :lol:

Social source share

Now that is strange......used to be a fella (don,t know who he was?) for a few weeks he used to stand in the beacncomber with a plastic mask on smoking a ciggy thrugh the hole in the mouth.....used to sh*t me right up lol :lol:

Are you sure he was really there Terry? lol

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

He was there,the smoker that is if its the same one used to stand outside mr ms for a number of occasions.My brain might have been there but my mind might well have been somewhere else which was a good place to be

As for soul people of interest,I always thought Wilky could of been there for dj inghe had the records thats for sure,remember Rug used to borrow some for spots , but apart from a couple of times he only did local do s,northants ,beds etc,maybe it interefered with his main profession?he was certainly a person of interest in fact a major charecter and well nown face.Not all that long after coming back from a trip to the states with Rug in about 1979 he ended up moving to bournemouth and quitting the scene,.Most def one of the most influential people on me.along with others some sadly no longer around.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

first time I'd actually seen him since we played a gig at The Dolphin in Holborn in the nineties ?

Ah - ha ha - September/October 1991 "INTENSE" at the Paddocks Club or (The Grove Committee) at Warwick Court - Barry :g:.

Last time I recall Adam dee jaying was at a special modern nite at Reflections in Leicester, summer 1988 along with Sam. Adam had semi retired by then, but Shelvo and Fish (Shellfish Promotions) made a good job of bringing AB out for a last fling.

:lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah - ha ha - September/October 1991 "INTENSE" at the Paddocks Club or (The Grove Committee) at Warwick Court - Barry :g:.

Last time I recall Adam dee jaying was at a special modern nite at Reflections in Leicester, summer 1988 along with Sam. Adam had semi retired by then, but Shelvo and Fish (Shellfish Promotions) made a good job of bringing AB out for a last fling.

:lol:

Sorry Nick haha

Social source share

Is Marc Farley the dark haired guy who used to run Morecombe Pier? - This info is only going by my Black and White 'Archive' Video tapes :)

All the best,

No Len that was sean Gibbons, Marc was blonde and curly tight hair challenged!!! I will try and post a poic of the Morecombe crew laters!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Adam was certainly pushing the boundaries back then Len and along with Marc Farley at Morecombe Pier (let's never mention the perm!!!) really spun some upfront toons as he still does. We really rated him and he's still one of my fave DJs when it comes to Modern. I shall always associate Kasiff 'Rumours'; Steve Arrington ' Feel So Real' and the first time I heard King Tutt which floored me with the dapper Adam! He's also the man who pointed me in the right direction for R.Kelly 'Up & Outta Here' which to this day remains in my all time top 10.

I first heard 'Up & Outta Here' at a Bank Holiday dayer at the Orwell on Wigan Pier, when (I think?) it was still relatively new........it blew me away completely, and I'd also bang it straight into my top 10, no hesitation. A fantastic record!

Edited by Mike72
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!