‘Soul People Of Interest’

Len

‘Soul People of Interest’

Hi Folks,

I was playing a few 70’s tunes at home the other evening and it reminded me of a time when I was a young lad just getting into the Scene, seeing Adam Buchanan as one of my hero’s as some of you guyz would have looked upon the likes of Richard Searling (or whoever)

I don’t see Adam's name about as much nowadays, but thought it would be nice if anyone else can remember how ground breaking he was back then. I never went to Leicester Odd Fellows, so it would be good to hear what he meant to people who did see him ‘in action’ there, and other places such as Stafford of course.

Now we’re ‘all grown up’ Adam and I can laugh about my ‘hero worship’ of him. Years later, he was D.Jing at me and Nina’s wedding and he played ‘Shaft’ as we were cutting the cake - Great stuff! :)

I find it interesting to hear what people have done to help form the tapestry of the Scene, you may want to put other names forward for discussion, but please keep it kind folks -”If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say nothing at all”....

….So, in the words of Barry ‘The Thread Starter’ - Discuss! :)

All the best,

Len :)

P.s - Photo's would be a welcome addition to the Topic.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Butch has played some of the best records on the planet but for me it has to be Rob Marriott. Fantastic taste, always willing to share his knowledge, dead approachable and messy as fcuk :lol:

Pete Lawson right up there also, along with Ady Harley and Glyn Reardon from Nuneaton :thumbsup:

I'd second them, others to add would be Tony Smith and Ion for their passion and enthusiasm when most's had failed them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Brian Rae - as a lad I used to spend a lot of time in Bri's car going up and down to various nighters....it was Bri who turned me on to a lot of late 50's/early 60's soul/R&B when it wasn't de rigeur, also stuff like Robert Cray, southern stuff etc

His depth of knowledge musically and scene-wise is amazing - and the stories....Oh! The Stories... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Shifty -

Not on the scene anymore as a DJ anyway (but still record dealing). Before he packed it in he was respected by many as being up there with the leading DJ's on the northern scene and certainly been a big influence on my record buying :yes: . Off, or on the scene, one of the funniest, wittiest guys I've ever met :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Adam for me broke the mold back in the day with forward thinking sets and he dared to be different. Not got gonna' go on too much about him as it would only make him blush......top fella with great taste is all I'll say.

Yes, I don't want this to be a 'back slapping' exercise, It’s just that I and others weren’t there to see, for instance, my example Adam when he was breaking new ground, and it’s nice for us to hear from people who were there.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Butch has played some of the best records on the planet but for me it has to be Rob Marriott. Fantastic taste, always willing to share his knowledge, dead approachable and messy as fcuk :lol:

Pete Lawson right up there also, along with Ady Harley and Glyn Reardon from Nuneaton :thumbsup:

As I've said before, I've never met Rob Marriot, but know him and people like him have heavily influenced my taste - So you have them to thank! :D I don't know of Ady Harley or Glyn Reardon - I thought I knew of most influentual people on the scene, are these well known or 'Under The Radar' 'heros'?

All the best,

P.s - Ref your 'Messy' line - I like Rob Marriot and don't even know him?!!! :lol:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I'd second them, others to add would be Tony Smith and Ion for their passion and enthusiasm when most's had failed them.

Yes, I admire anyone who 'goes against the grain' sticking to what they believe in.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Shifty -

Not on the scene anymore as a DJ anyway (but still record dealing). Before he packed it in he was respected by many as being up there with the leading DJ's on the northern scene and certainly been a big influence on my record buying :yes: . Off, or on the scene, one of the funniest, wittiest guys I've ever met :lol:

Who? :huh::D

Yes, I knew Shifty when he was an apprentice - I've always said he'd have spoilers on his record box if he could, bless him :lol:

All the best,

Social source share

As I've said before, I've never met Rob Marriot, but know people like him have heavily influenced my taste - So you have them to thank! :D I don't know of Ady Harley or Glyn Reardon - I thought I knew of most influentual people on the scene, are these well known or 'Under The Radar' 'heros'?

All the best,

P.s - Ref your 'Messy' line - I like Rob Marriot and don't even know him?!!! :lol:

Apologies if I misunderstood your thread Len, I thought you were asking for people who have influenced you personallyAs for Rob being messy - he sure was, and then some (then again we all were!)

Social source share

Dave Godin ,Richard Searling ,Rob and Chris Marriott , Dave Molloy and Butch .....there ....

Hi Ed,

I don't know Chris Marriot or Dave Molly - Who are they? / What did they do? / Where did they play? / What tunes did they play? etc.

All the best,

Social source share

DJ's - Love 'em or hate 'em, Levine, Roberts and Curtis were interesting, so was the bloke from Stoke..............?

At a local level, Ronnie Hanley, Clarence and the Two Bald blokes kept the music going during the post Wigan / pre-renaissance era in my part of the North West and deserve credit for their efforts. Not saying they discovered or broke loads of stuff but they all educated me and other ordinary punters like me.

CHARACTERS - met loads of 'em but big Willie from Ormskirk, Cesar, Gethro and Scally (Mike Atherton) spring to mind for different reasons.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Janice Thorpe - ex Wigan, Morecambe etc - a great Leigh all-nighter girl - should get a mention.

There was always her and a smaller blonde girl in front of the stage at Wigan, generally dressed alike and danced in unison.

Remember her stomping six months pregnant on the little dancefloor at the back of Morecambe. :huh::lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Apologies if I misunderstood your thread Len, I thought you were asking for people who have influenced you personallyAs for Rob being messy - he sure was, and then some (then again we all were!)

Hi Joan,

Um, I'm confused now (It don't take much!)......I'll go and read the opening post again...................................................................................................

...............................................Right, yes....No, hang on...............................................................Yes, that's it - The thread can be about people who have influenced you, which would go hand in hand with 'People of Interest' really - You would hope so anyway! :D

No need to apologise Joan :D

All the best,

Social source share

Janice Thorpe - ex Wigan, Morecambe etc - a great Leigh all-nighter girl - should get a mention.

There was always her and a smaller blonde girl in front of the stage at Wigan, generally dressed alike and danced in unison.

Remember her stomping six months pregnant on the little dancefloor at the back of Morecambe. :huh::lol:

Mel from Stockport and/or a girl from WIgan whose name I have now forgotten , they use to be in same vicinity, as did Shiela from Lancaster, but think she was tall.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave Withers - taught me the difference between Soul, Northern Soul and Northern. I used to throw sickies at work in Halifax to go and help out on his stall in the old Manchester Arndale...to get first pick of the new stuff :wink: Although Rod used to scare me for some reason.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Len. One of the venues i cut my teeth at.The Oddfellows would'nt of been The Oddfellows without Adam.Some of my first niters were with four women older than me.Their favorite D J. . .Adam.

Atb. john

you,ve always liked older women ......hi pauline :D

Social source share

just though of a few more that have certainly inspired me over the years, Derek Pearson for producing simply the best fanzine ever, Rod shard and Guy for advice, support and attitiude , Dave Carne for showing me you dont have to the oldsest person on the scene to be a knowledable bastard and of course our Kid, Mick Sway and his irepresable oppo Fran Girak. i sposse I like many others have a family connection to the scene that needs reconising here. Lastly Johnny Beggs the Mad scientist of northern soul non other.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can anyone comment about what part Adam played as far as Stafford goes? I'm guessing he played stuff like 'Rumours' etc there.

All the best,

Kashif, Luther Vandross "Never Too Much", Leroy Hutson etc etc. Adam was forefront on the Modern side at the time and not afraid to put his neck on the line to substantiate his conviction. :thumbsup:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kashif, Luther Vandross "Never Too Much", Leroy Hutson etc etc. Adam was forefront on the Modern side at the time and not afraid to put his neck on the line to substantiate his conviction. :thumbsup:

Steve

He was pretty much the main man in most Modern Rooms for years, but those rooms got replaced with R 'n' B or 'alternative' rooms mainly, which I think is a shame because it strengthened the divide between Oldies and lesser known stuff, when they should all be played in the same room (Just my 'Off Topic' opinion)

P.s - I'm now on a differnt computer and can only do ':)' for some reason!

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Come to think of it, there were a couple of girls who danced in front of the stage at The Fleet, Peterborough who also danced in unison, they wore tennis skirts which was something a teenage boy like me noticed!.......

......I’m talking about the fact they danced in unison of course lol - this would have been the late 80’s, so maybe different girls. ‘Soul People Of Interest’ to me anyway! :)

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Tats Taylor.Taught me how to listen to records and open up to stuff other than stompers.

Thanks buddy.!!!

Yes Tats - Great Ol' Boy! What's his history? As in, was he a regular D.J at one particular club? I know he's still doing 'the rounds' everywhere and was kind enough to D.J at my 40th which I really appreciated.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Adam was certainly pushing the boundaries back then Len and along with Marc Farley at Morecombe Pier (let's never mention the perm!!!) really spun some upfront toons as he still does. We really rated him and he's still one of my fave DJs when it comes to Modern. I shall always associate Kasiff 'Rumours'; Steve Arrington ' Feel So Real' and the first time I heard King Tutt which floored me with the dapper Adam! He's also the man who pointed me in the right direction for R.Kelly 'Up & Outta Here' which to this day remains in my all time top 10.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest kev such

Paul Matthews for making me aware of Northern Soul in 82 and Nidge for showing me how to do it correctly without trying to take over.

Regards

Kev ( dont do modern) Such

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Chris is Rob's older brother, had a top collection at one time - known as a detroit collector

Well I like him already! If one day I actually get to meet this here Rob Marriot, apart from thanking him for the tapes I indirectly acquired which have influenced my music taste immensely, I’ll ask to meet his older brother - No, I’ll ask to meet his whole family as it seems to me that they are of good stock! :)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Adam was certainly pushing the boundaries back then Len and along with Marc Farley at Morecombe Pier (let's never mention the perm!!!) really spun some upfront toons as he still does. We really rated him and he's still one of my fave DJs when it comes to Modern. I shall always associate Kasiff 'Rumours'; Steve Arrington ' Feel So Real' and the first time I heard King Tutt which floored me with the dapper Adam! He's also the man who pointed me in the right direction for R.Kelly 'Up & Outta Here' which to this day remains in my all time top 10.

Hi Neil,

The first time I saw Adam D.J, he was doing a true ‘Adam set' - ‘Doug Parkinson — I’ll Be Around’, ‘Skip Mahoney — Janice’, 'The Dells - Your Song’, it absolutely blew me away at that time — Fantastic stuff!

'The Dells — Your Song’

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Is Marc Farley the dark haired guy who used to run Morecombe Pier? - This info is only going by my Black and White 'Archive' Video tapes :)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Paul Matthews for making me aware of Northern Soul in 82 and Nidge for showing me how to do it correctly.

Regards

Kev ( dont do modern) Such

Hi Kev,

82' - You beat me Kev, I was only 12 then and not even aware full stop! :) Yes, Nige knows his stuff, and has got some awesome tunz himself.

All the best,

Len (You should do Modern Kev, it's not that bad honest mate) Dopson :)

Social source share

‘Soul People of Interest’

Hi Folks,

I was playing a few 70’s tunes at home the other evening and it reminded me of a time when I was a young lad just getting into the Scene, seeing Adam Buchanan as one of my hero’s as some of you guyz would have looked upon the likes of Richard Searling (or whoever)

I don’t see Adam's name about as much nowadays, but thought it would be nice if anyone else can remember how ground breaking he was back then. I never went to Leicester Odd Fellows, so it would be good to hear what he meant to people who did see him ‘in action’ there, and other places such as Stafford of course.

I enjoyed Adams sets at Odd Fellows - not to forget Robin S at the time too.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Someone who always gets a mention in my book and rightly so is Sir Dickie - his sets in the early 80's set the bar without question. Soul Sam also had a great influence on me and the scene. Sean Hampsey gets a mention too because he has great taste - and knowledge, about soul music. If it's good it's good - no need for pigeon holing stuff.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I enjoyed Adams sets at Odd Fellows - not to forget Robin S at the time too.

Peter

Hi nice yes both Robin and Adam at the Odd Fellows Adam had hair then as i recall regards Proff,

Social source share

Social source share

Brian Rae - as a lad I used to spend a lot of time in Bri's car going up and down to various nighters....it was Bri who turned me on to a lot of late 50's/early 60's soul/R&B when it wasn't de rigeur, also stuff like Robert Cray, southern stuff etc

His depth of knowledge musically and scene-wise is amazing - and the stories....Oh! The Stories... :lol:

Brian Rae an absolute gem, always had time for you.

Never bothered hearing his sets at Wigan funny enough though, as Mr M's was for old people as far as I was concerned & was always too busy in the main hall :D

Got to know him well later ala Carlton days etc.

Barry, did you ever know Mike Wilson? also from Penketh, top guy & big mate of Brian's too, along with Wayne Povey?

I bumped into Wayne last week, I know for a fact he never sold a record in his life & has some stunners, although off the scene now, I badger him about his records every time, I've got my beady eyes on his collection for sure.

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just finished reading Roger Eagle's biography"sit down,listen to this"which has elevated my opinion of him to astronomical proportions,a true pioneer who's aim in life was to share what he heard and turn as many people on to new things,Brian Rae testifies to that,among others.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Where is robin now he used to be a regular at Rudzies Leicester soul club nights not heared much about him for yonk's regards Simon.
Social source share

Brian Rae an absolute gem, always had time for you.

Never bothered hearing his sets at Wigan funny enough though, as Mr M's was for old people as far as I was concerned & was always too busy in the main hall :D

Got to know him well later ala Carlton days etc.

Barry, did you ever know Mike Wilson? also from Penketh, top guy & big mate of Brian's too, along with Wayne Povey?

I bumped into Wayne last week, I know for a fact he never sold a record in his life & has some stunners, although off the scene now, I badger him about his records every time, I've got my beady eyes on his collection for sure.

Aid.

Hi Aid, don't know Mike but know who Wayne is.

I remember going to see Brian @ The Carlton, Sam was with him and asking for their autographs :lol: on the inside of a box of ten Regal.

Bri is on @ The Northern Line in Wazza this Sat, although I keep in touch on FB I haven't seen him for years, so going to nip up and buy him a pint.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Dave Withers - taught me the difference between Soul, Northern Soul and Northern. I used to throw sickies at work in Halifax to go and help out on his stall in the old Manchester Arndale...to get first pick of the new stuff :wink: Although Rod used to scare me for some reason.

Yep, used to to visit Dave's stall, his missus at the time Wendy was the manageress of our local BHS cafe where we used to congregate when back in Warrington after nighters - spawning our very 80's all-nighter group T-shirts - BHS BREWMASTERS :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Where is robin now he used to be a regular at Rudzies Leicester soul club nights not heared much about him for yonk's regards Simon.

Robin is up on Teeside somewhere Prof. You will have seen him post on here - he was taking his bairn out sledging last week. He was always a likeable lad back in the day - err, and I'm sure he is now!

peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Robin is up on Teeside somewhere Prof. You will have seen him post on here - he was taking his bairn out sledging last week. He was always a likeable lad back in the day - err, and I'm sure he is now!

peter

Is he still Nightwatch @ the Fire Station Pete?

Social source share

Just finished reading Roger Eagle's biography"sit down,listen to this"which has elevated my opinion of him to astronomical proportions,a true pioneer who's aim in life was to share what he heard and turn as many people on to new things,Brian Rae testifies to that,among others.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!