Dj's Responsibility?

KevH

Guest Matt Male

Is a dj responsible for....

1/ Educating the paying public.

2/ Playing to the paying public.

3/ Creating a "moment in time" in his hour spot.

4/ Not boring the "punters" with the same spot as last time he was dj'ing.

Yes to 1,3 and 4.

If 2 means playing the same stuff I've heard a million times, I'm not interested.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

All the above

Social source share

1 - Educating the payin public is a guarded phrase. Presuming they don't know what you are playing ?? Not Good !!!

2 - Playing to the Crowd - That is a major issue these days and causes complacency

3 - Creating a moment in Time - We would all love to do that but to be appreciated is acceptable

4 - Not boring the Punters - Can't please everyone so some are gonna say you were shite and some you were awesome.

As long as you leave with your dignity intact and a few kind words from the masses you can consider it a job well done ( and the Promoter Pays You !! )

Social source share

I'm a punter and this is my view.

The reason I went to Soul Clubs BITD was to hear sounds which, in the most part, only the DJ's playing there owned and to share a good night out with like minded people with all that entailed. I definitely got educated.

The alternative was to go to a Night Club where the music came second to the activities on offer (I went there for the Jack & Danny) for a regular night out with my mates.

We now have a 40+ year history where most clubs are really a hybrid of the two above and where it gets tricky is the split between the nostalgic preferences of the club-goers.

What you hold the DJ responsible for nowadays depends on why you pay your money to go to his club and what your expectations are.

The Promoter wants happy returning punters. Most of the punters just want a good night out with the added advantage of hearing and dancing to soul music. The DJ wants to do his thing.

So for me I would have said I expected the dj to meet 1, (and if 3 happened that was a bonus) BITD but I think that in the most part people expect current dj's to meet 2 ( and if 3 happens its a bonus).

Given the average age of the punters out and about now, many would take exception at someone trying to "educate" them or arrogant enough to think that they were going to impress them to the point of "having a moment in time".

As no one would pay to be bored 4 should be a given.

So ideally give me 1,2 & 3 everytime

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

A good DJ imho manages to find a flowing rhythm to his set even by playing a set containing two maybe three different genres of soul(so as to please the floor) interlinking those different styles with a record that maybe crosses the boundaries of those styles

Not an easy thing to do....so a lot of djs stick to the one genre and/ or style.. eg. uptempo seems to be in vogue at the moment.. but soul for me isnt just uptempo as there are plenty of mid tempo,club sounds and a few ballads I like to hear and dare I say it dance to.

Social source share

Ok my little fishing friend, I'll bite!

1 & 2 shouldn't IMO be mutually exclusive, educating and entertaining are better together, making them have it isn't the individual dj responsibility.

3 is what I remember from across the years, may be a new tune; or right tune, right place, right time moment. Hard to manage for a wide audience but great to make it happen.

4 is interesting, probabaly depending upon the dj. If it's a dj I've gone to listen to a set I probabaly want to hear some of what I hope for, guess it's down to how boring it is or how critical to the reason for going. I guess see 3 above.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

no1 people don,t go out to be educated .....they go out for fun in the form of,no2,which should include no3 if it also includes no1 from time to time then great.....no 4...kev, danny's my mate so no comment!! :D:lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

A dj's responsibilty is simple , a lot more simple than the choices listed ...... make them dance and send them home with a smile, easy as that

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

A dj's responsibilty is simple , a lot more simple than the choices listed ...... make them dance and send them home with a smile, easy as that

at last :thumbsup: .

Social source share

But what if the nite is listed as an oldies only nite Then only number 2 would do surely. Different if listed as across the board then i would expect to hear all sorts and hopefully tracks that i didn't know so 1,2 and 3 would be what i would expect. Number 4 should never happen.

Social source share

I've never been of the opinion that a DJ is there to educate you, as it’s your choice to look for new things that may interest you, not to be spoon fed. For me the DJ's responsibility it is to help you enjoy yourself when your on a night out, nothing else.

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

On the "talking boards" a lot of people would feature 1 highly.

Out in clubland I doubt you'd find many that would say anything other than 2.

So if your right steve and i think you are,that would mean that a lot of the djs who like to label themselves as rare educater djs [for want of a better expression]arent really relevant or wanted in todays club scene.Which would explain why most [not all] rare soul clubs are very sparsely attended compared to even local oldies soul nights.Its long been my opinion that a lot of djs who consider themselves rare soul djs are in fact spinning tunes that arent that rare at all.These tunes may well be under played but arent rare,as most are know to all the uks top soul spinners but not considered good enugh to be played out

by the uks best rare soul djs.It seems to me that as with the oldies scene there is the same glut of djs who arent as good or relevant as they think they are. At the end of the day the people who pay at the door decide what the djs job is,no one at the door means no one behind the decks. imho

Social source share

None of the above................................only one task, get people dancing (or at least tapping their toes) :thumbsup:

Social source share

So if your right steve and i think you are,that would mean that a lot of the djs who like to label themselves as rare educater djs [for want of a better expression]arent really relevant or wanted in todays club scene.Which would explain why most [not all] rare soul clubs are very sparsely attended compared to even local oldies soul nights.Its long been my opinion that a lot of djs who consider themselves rare soul djs are in fact spinning tunes that arent that rare at all.These tunes may well be under played but arent rare,as most are know to all the uks top soul spinners but not considered good enugh to be played out

by the uks best rare soul djs.It seems to me that as with the oldies scene there is the same glut of djs who arent as good or relevant as they think they are. At the end of the day the people who pay at the door decide what the djs job is,no one at the door means no one behind the decks. imho

Hi Andy,

Quite a few points there. Yes most people don't want "educating" (for want of a better term) on a night out. It's a dwindling minority that actually want to hear something different - and it's the same on other soul scenes as well. As Terry says the majority of people going out want a good time, and for most a good time increasingly means hearing things they know / are familiar with, or a "name" DJ from the glory days of the past. One reason I've cut back on weekenders is that the majority these days just seem to be one long p*** up sing-a-long anthem-fest. Fine if that's what the majority want but not rerally where my head is at.

Rare soul DJs spinning non rare tunes: Yes there are a lot of people who claim to be spinning "rare" who aren't - they are playing £5 records that couldn't be given away a few years ago. But there are equally a number of DJs who do play genuinly rare records - it's sorting the wheat from the chaff etc., since the "rare" badge is pinned to many things these days. But then you get yourself tied up in the "quality v playing something because it's rare" argument. To my mind you can have both, but not many DJs able to do both well.

Steve

Social source share

What are the boards thoughts on the view that the place for educating is at Soul nights with solid regulars (if a club has that policy and has regulars then surely they are good with the format) and that heads that attend Weekenders/one-offs are there to be happy and dance to stuff that majoritively they know?

Steve G's post has said what I have so ignore this post. :wink:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Maybe "educating" is the wrong expression, and I may be alone about what I enjoy in a night, but as well as the familiar favourites "professionally" knitted together, I crave a "fix" of that NEW (to me anyhow) sound that just blows me away. Hasn't this "freshness" helped keep the scene going?

Des

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Pleasing himself and if the crowd don't share his good taste, f*ck them, get a better gig next time.

Or retiring, its the fashion.

we,ll assume this is tongue in cheek...if so :lol: :lol: .....if serious....that,s kinda arrogantly sad

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Isn't this just the same topic under a different guise AGAIN..... :sleep3:

Yeh! that sneaky little hobbitses kev h......trying to tricks us again

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Andy,

Quite a few points there. Yes most people don't want "educating" (for want of a better term) on a night out. It's a dwindling minority that actually want to hear something different - and it's the same on other soul scenes as well. As Terry says the majority of people going out want a good time, and for most a good time increasingly means hearing things they know / are familiar with, or a "name" DJ from the glory days of the past.

Steve

Agree ,but disgree if thats allowed......you know me steve,never been to stoke,don,t want that big boring oldies type of night or the crossovery sh*te that you can,t get away from at soul nights.......l love new (good stuff) i,m always asking "whats this? whats that?" mainly to KEV H who always seems to know lol.However when push comes to shove,all things being equal...our lot go out for a cracking night out!! and it can be done and happily is being done.....there are venues that can mix the music up in the right way for US and it seems a lot of others...and suprisingly it,s all done without a big name dj in sight......conclusion it can be done!

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Isn't this just the same topic under a different guise AGAIN..... :sleep3:

Not started this with anything else in mind,other than.....2 threads recently...one about Yarmouth '91,where the dj set was top drawer and to para-phrase another post,"imaginitive with balls".The other a falling out over a dj not being imaginitive enough.

Just got me thinking.

Social source share

I'm DJing in March ( venue secret to protect the innocent :D ). When the promoter books me he asks " what are you going to play that crowd don't know and will clear the dancefloor? to which I answer " you'll have to wait and see but definitely one maybe two". He's obviously happy with this or he wouldn't book me!!

I do tend to play these early in my set and try to keep the dancefloor full for the other 20 odd records I play and leave it full for the next DJ.

A bit of 'education' doesn't do any harm ( I was at a do as a punter a few weeks ago when 2 people came up to me and asked about a certain record I played a few weeks before at another event as they hadn't heard it before and thought it was great - job done :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Andy,

Quite a few points there. Yes most people don't want "educating" (for want of a better term) on a night out. It's a dwindling minority that actually want to hear something different - and it's the same on other soul scenes as well. As Terry says the majority of people going out want a good time, and for most a good time increasingly means hearing things they know / are familiar with, or a "name" DJ from the glory days of the past. One reason I've cut back on weekenders is that the majority these days just seem to be one long p*** up sing-a-long anthem-fest. Fine if that's what the majority want but not rerally where my head is at.

Rare soul DJs spinning non rare tunes: Yes there are a lot of people who claim to be spinning "rare" who aren't - they are playing £5 records that couldn't be given away a few years ago. But there are equally a number of DJs who do play genuinly rare records - it's sorting the wheat from the chaff etc., since the "rare" badge is pinned to many things these days. But then you get yourself tied up in the "quality v playing something because it's rare" argument. To my mind you can have both, but not many DJs able to do both well.

Steve

well made pionts, far from educating society and adding varriety to taste, the last ten, technology driven, years have been limiting and often seem the homogenisation of all strands of life, music is just one of the things thats got and getting worse worse. Edited by geeselad
Social source share

well made pionts, far from educating society and varrying taste the last ten technologhy driven year have been limiting and often seem the homogenisation of all strands of life, music is just one of the things thats got worse.

I'd love to agree with that but I don't bloody understand it Lol !!

Geeselad, nice observation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm DJing in March ( venue secret to protect the innocent :D ). When the promoter books me he asks " what are you going to play that crowd don't know and will clear the dancefloor? to which I answer " you'll have to wait and see but definitely one maybe two". He's obviously happy with this or he wouldn't book me!!

I do tend to play these early in my set and try to keep the dancefloor full for the other 20 odd records I play and leave it full for the next DJ.

A bit of 'education' doesn't do any harm ( I was at a do as a punter a few weeks ago when 2 people came up to me and asked about a certain record I played a few weeks before at another event as they hadn't heard it before and thought it was great - job done :thumbup:

If I can walk away at the end of the night saying F*ck Me, What was that???-I want one,-at least once, (preferably more).

Then I've had a good 'un.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

no disrespect to the original poster but yes weve been here before..but still i cant help but put my two pence worth in...better than going out in the warehouse its effin freezin...anyway..

1 educate?...yes..nothin wrong with hearing a few new tunes even at a largely oldies night.. i dont believe anybody knows it all however long theyve been on the scene and those who get offended should leave their egos behind.. without people doin it with tunes like jt parker a few years back we would be missing some great unplayed sounds...aswell as those forgotten oldies some of which a lot of people havnt heard the first time

2 play to the punters?..ofcourse an hour is long enuff to suss out what the majority wanna hear and a dj should be educated himself as to what the event needs and have a plan b in his box (no not dexys although its a great tune) if what he wants to play doesnt work

3 not sure about creating a moment...many djs have for me... normally hearing awesome tunes for either the very first time or the first time in years but this is personal to the dancers and not sumfin the dj should worry about trying to do

4 bore the punters with the same set?...no but i can see why some do...some sadly are booked just to play those big oldies whether they like it or not....luckily if i book a dj for our nite they know they can play something different...and when i play a/our nite i always jot down my playlist at home and try to change it a bit next time....at the end of the day if they are having a good time the punters should be too and if the punters are bored the dj must be too ?...i know i would be!!

this of course is just my opinion and not aimed at any other dj/promoter

dean

ps..playing some sort of set that flows and actually knowing how to use the equipment should be second nature

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

I'm just going to sit back and watch this one develop into another OVO thread somehow. You know how studies on animals show that they can sense a natural disaster is coming? Same thing here, more or less. :hatsoff2:

Or an 'OpooO' Thead! :lol:

Sorry - Not very constructive....Ummmmm, I'm still trying to find out what a D.J's responsibility is.....

Len :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Or an 'OpooO' Thead! :lol:

Sorry - Not very constructive....Ummmmm, I'm still trying to find out what a D.J's responsibility is.....

When you find out Len perhaps you can give us all a lesson on what it is - bit like "n.s dancing classes" in yer local High St maybe :lol: :lol:

On second thoughts......

: :cheese1:

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A DJs responsibility is to the promoter surely? The promoter should do his bloody homework and book the right DJs. He should spell out to the DJ what he is promoting and expecting and the promoter should advertise as such.

After that is all done and the DJ is what the promoter wants it should be 1,2,3. Playing an imaginative well balanced set with an emphasis on dancers without the need to resort to tired played out oldies.

Good post Chalky.i agree with that.

Wasn't going to bring Promoters into this but.....when i dj gets a booking,do you think some may think they are in a position of trust,a gentlemans agreement if you like.And with that trust maybe a licence to veer from the club/venue policy.?

Sorry if some think this is old ground and boring.I'll close it if that's what folks want.

Social source share

Good post Chalky.i agree with that.

Wasn't going to bring Promoters into this but.....when i dj gets a booking,do you think some may think they are in a position of trust,a gentlemans agreement if you like.And with that trust maybe a licence to veer from the club/venue policy.?

Sorry if some think this is old ground and boring.I'll close it if that's what folks want.

Don't close it mate - The thing is, of course some topics will be repeated because some people may have missed it the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or whatever time round, but while people are contributing, it's not hurting anyone....mostly anyway! People need encouraging to open up discussions, not put off just in case it may have been done before. If you missed a topic, so what, have a chat with someone else about the subject (All except the 'you know what' subject) :D

I love Crossover!......If Crossover is what I think it is - Monotonous and goes absolutely nowhere - GREAT! :thumbup:

A D.J's job is.......b*gger I forgot again! :rofl:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

A DJs responsibility is to the promoter surely? The promoter should do his bloody homework and book the right DJs. He should spell out to the DJ what he is promoting and expecting and the promoter should advertise as such.

After that is all done and the DJ is what the promoter wants it should be 1,2,3. Playing an imaginative well balanced set with an emphasis on dancers without the need to resort to tired played out oldies.

Is it not the promoter who should be responsible? Or maybe I'm not getting the gist of your post Chalks. The promoter should know his audience, if he then books a DJ who likes to play 'something different' to what said promoters regulars expect, then he's not following his own demographic. If said promoter speaks to the DJ and says my club likes oldies, can you deliver, and the DJ says yes, but still plays what he wants to, then I'd say the DJ had let the promoter and the audience down?

• Helpful 1
Social source share