Randolph Brown

Kjw

Its a tiny Memphis label which issued both the XI chains singles first. Its quite strange that the powers that be at XI chains decided to swap the flips of each record for their releases, so each XI chains release has a side from each of the separate Black Magic releases, if I've explained myself enough...

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Anybody know anything about this one:

BROWN, RANDY SHARP MOUTH 2 MOVE ME / PART 2

Paul,

What do you want to know about it? I think I bought this as a new release in the mid/late 80’s. It’s released on both 7 & 12”, If you look at the credits the people mentioned are very Memphis based including production credit by his brother, so would assume another Memphis label even thought it doesn’t mention it. Was played at a few 2-Step do’s, I attended at the time.

The previous Sharp Mouth release was Angela Cruse — Making Love / Secret Lover, which was also a bit of a stepper and I’ve only seen a 12” release of this. Looking at a picture of it the 12" says its "recorded at Willie Mitchell's Studio" so looks like Sharp Mouth was a Memphis label.

post-4493-0-35425800-1358947666_thumb.jp

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

OK thanks John, 45 doesn't mention Memphis, and no Brown listed among the producers, although there is as Engineer and Mixer.

Yep my mistake, was ment to say engineer.

Another Randy Brown oddity is his Christmas song on Sound Town. Have a white label test pressing of it.

Steve, is it the same mix as the single?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!