Whats Your 3 Most Hated Tunes

Tony Galla In Love

Human Beinz Nobody But Me

Alfie Davidson Love is a Serious Business

I really dislike these records and have done since I first heard them I could list a few more - there are other records that I am sick of hearing but are good tunes just overplayed.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

@ Kev H. Can't argue with the Elvis bit...but to me it's just an uptempo dance record. Totally unoffensive to me. I like the tune....maybe if it had been sung by a soul singer it wouldn't be on this list?

Good point.No offence meant to you btw.

Social source share

im not opposed to most of the tunes listed apart from the ones i have listed.

i went some where the other night and heard some good music (not your typical top 500) but noticed how many time the dance floor was emptied when something out off there comfort zone came on.

so i came to the conclusion most folk want the (top 500). i know i know you gonna say well im going to the wrong venues.

i love the oldies but some time like to go some where that they do play out the zone how can we move on if we just stick to the norm

not having a go at anyone that plays oldies but every one says there is more out there so come on then lets get it

sorry for the little rant

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Outright winner of crappiness.....

Dertroit Executives - Cool Off. (...beggars belief in my book...how?....why??) :huh:

followed by.....

Rubin - You've Been Gone (....tuneless shouting)

Four Pros - Just Another Girl (....drab and contrived, to my ear)

I actually love a lot of other SS'ers nominations.....would it be any other way!!! :D

Edited by Brooky
Social source share

Outright winner of crappness.....

Dertroit Executives - Cool Off. (...beggars belief in my book)

followed by.....

Rubin - You've Been Gone (....tuneless shouting)

Four Pros - Just Another Girl (....drab and contrived, to my ear)

I actually love a lot of other SS'ers nominations.....would it be any other way!!! :D

Sumat up with your ear's these 3 are classics :yes:

Bazza :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think Cool Off is one of those records that doesn't make a lot of sense when you play it at home, but blasted out loud, at Wigan it sounded out of this world, absolutely brilliant Northern Soul.

=========================================================================================================================

.....don't agree with the (DE's) comment but get your drift. I could say the same for the 'Grand Piano Company'!!! :D

Well-known fact that you transform a duffer into a classic .......simply by increasing the volume!!! (Wigan Amp' volume settings went up to 11 as opposed to just 10...so...obvious really) :yes:

Brooky

Edited by Brooky
Social source share

=========================================================================================================================

.....don't agree (with the DE's) comment but get your drift. I could say the same for the 'Grand Piano Company'!!! :D

No you couldn't, Grand Piano Company is f&cking sh&t at any volume :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh yes, totally agree with that so may as well throw in 2 others to make the numbers up.

Also hate Sister Sledge - Love Don't Go Through No Changes On Me. Terrible record & why oh why have such a long title, 8 bloody words for God's sake.

The third one & the Emperors new clothes record. Pyramid - Soul Brothers Inc. Now you know you all hate it but are afraid to admit it because it's fashionable to say you love it as you think everyone else loves it but I'll let you into a secret. They hate it too but are scared to admit it for exactly the same reason as you.

Oh Martin....I bloody Love Soul Bros Inc & have since it was first played as Mel Britt...a record that cracks me up every time...is it having a revival ?...hope they dont thrash it to death...

Coming bang up to date - altho I havnt heard it played out at a Nighter yet over a booming system, that 'Loveseed' thing in the cold light of day sounds like a third rate Motown reject...I will however reserve my final judgment until I have heard it out at a venue.

Im struggling to find others that I 'hate'...dont hate much, just sometimes things were 'of the time' & dont travel well, others are good records but just thrashed to death & need retiring for a bit..........

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like a lot of these records listed.....but some of them should have never hit northern soul decks.Nick Nack being one...in a cellar club with a load of mods yep.Anyway heres mine.

Dolly Gilmore...Dont You Know....i know the other side got a spin once at the Mecca but whose idea was it to turn this one over.Its like Cleo Laine on an acid trip on the Love Boat with a sax solo from 7one of the muppets.

Doug Banks I Just Kept on Dancing....whose idea was it to introduce cha cha cha to the scene..there was a swathe of these type of records.Probably would fit at a cha cha cha or popcorn night but a room full of riker likers??

The dreaded Tribute.....massive with the handbaggers...whose idea?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like a lot of these records listed.....but some of them should have never hit northern soul decks.Nick Nack being one...in a cellar club with a load of mods yep.Anyway heres mine.

Dolly Gilmore...Dont You Know....i know the other side got a spin once at the Mecca but whose idea was it to turn this one over.Its like Cleo Laine on an acid trip on the Love Boat with a sax solo from 7one of the muppets.

Great choice, I only heard this recently and thought it was someone playing a trick pretending it was a real record.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest ritchie

I'm guessing this is more about stuff that still gets played out today? (God knows why imho :lol: )

My 3 pet hates are... And it ain't a case of overplayed I have always disliked this lot but realise a lot of people do like them, so my subjective horrors are...

Eddie Bishop- Call Me ... Don't.

Julian Covay - A Little Bit Hurt ... Severe ear trauma more would be a more accurate diagnosis .

Vicki Baines - Country Girl... Great start then goes from horrid to just plain awful.

Social source share

The dreaded Tribute.....massive with the handbaggers...whose idea?

Not just handbaggers Mate, I see hardened soul fans knock chairs out he way to dance to this shit! Sorry to be blunt, but bob Sinclair and soul should not be in the same sentence!

Please can we see an end to jocks playing this Ibiza club tune?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

here we go i think this topic must have been done loads of time but here goes

my three

house for sale

sorry but they drive me mad make its a good job i smoke great excuse to go for one

Are you tone deaf? laughs

Inst and vocal, just sublime I reckon, never tire of listening to it...

Mine:

K.C. & The Sunshine Band - Queen Of Clubs

Inmates - this is the day

Ral donner, why not sounds allot like the above

Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music

The Commodores - The Zoo (The Human Zoo)

You could add fifty of the above type tunes to that list, of things that are rated highly by dancers and collector, supposedly, I really never likeded Jerry Washington - Dont Waste my Time, and Joseph Webster - My Love Is So Strong, same bloke init? backin is fine but the half spoken vocal I find irritating, suppose you could add that Joe tex track from years ago into this also...

Mal :g:

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I think Cool Off is one of those records that doesn't make a lot of sense when you play it at home, but blasted out loud, at Wigan it sounded out of this world, absolutely brilliant Northern Soul.

Glyn Sisson or Mort played this last night at North Wings.must admit tho back in the day I thought it was tripe,love it now tho dunno why

Bazza :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Words can't describe how much I loathed and loath these records, all huge in their day.

I'd have to narrow it down to six (yes, I know it was 3)...

Paul Anka - When We Get There

Peggy March - If You Loved Me

Don Ray - Born A Loser

Cobblestone - Trick Me Treat Me

Ben Zine - Village Of Tears

Lou Roberts - Ten To One

What's interesting from this list is that they are ALL from exactly the same period when they were played or at their biggest - middle to late 1978.

Did something happen Macca? :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had to add this one finally........

Bunny Sigler - Let the Good Tmes Roll...........eternal 'King's New Clothes' syndrome surrounds this one...it seems to be revered and rated way above its actual quality...or total lack of imho!. Give me 'Girl, Don't Make Me Wait'....any day of the week..... :yes:

Edited by Brooky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's funny you should say that. I was blissfully happy in my first relationship when these records were big, so the records don't remind me of anything horrible in that sense. I seem to remember this mid to late1978 period as a period of change in the scene I was familiar with - a new dance style, new shoes (polyveldts), all the british label blue eyed soul productions being played by keith minshull and nev wherry, and worst of all, a lot of people 'experimenting' with barbiturates. 1975-77 were wonderful (to me) in comparison. :-)

Social source share

It's funny you should say that. I was blissfully happy in my first relationship when these records were big, so the records don't remind me of anything horrible in that sense. I seem to remember this mid to late1978 period as a period of change in the scene I was familiar with - a new dance style, new shoes (polyveldts), all the british label blue eyed soul productions being played by keith minshull and nev wherry, and worst of all, a lot of people 'experimenting' with barbiturates. 1975-77 were wonderful (to me) in comparison. :-)

It's funny because Holly St James, Cobblestone, Burning Bush - make me feel EXACTLY the same as you, even now I can remember the feeling that all wasn't right and things weren't the same anymore. In August 78, I packed Wigan in and went for the last time. All dayers only after that. And serious barb problems unfortunately.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I don't like House For Sale either. Never did, from the moment it was first played. Very corny lyrics, boring tune, handbaggers classic.

if you come near me on the Dance floor Pete, I'll swipe at ya with my Handbag.. :hypo:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

really, i remember well YOU PLAYING THIS AT SIXHILLS i will always remember this as i had just played 60mins of imo quality

ORIGINAL oldies to a empty dance floor, you played this and the pristine dressed baggy trouser boys/girls rammed the floor thinking they

were on top of the pops!!!!!, hence since i never returned

if im wrong i take it all back

yep you right but you forgot to add i took it of before it ended and gave it to a punter and said i would never play it again but i also played a wombling merry Christmas on the same night as a wind up to the promoters and that got a few soulies even danced to that :wicked: I will always pay for my sins
Social source share

Thinking back to the first time you came across "Northern" be it at your local Youth Club or even a bigger venue did you come away thinking there was some great music played there but tunes A, B , and C where shite?

Probably not, so does it come down to over exposure or to just becoming more educated?

Social source share

Hallelujah I thought I was the only one hating that Sidney Barnes-Solid Ground shite because every time I've heard it played out you get trampled in the stampede to the dancefloor.......shite disco & you can put that "Tribute To Whoever" in there with it.

I'm not a "Cool Off" fan either.

"Moody Woman" gets on my tits too.

But the one I HATE with a passion is.........Ronnie Dyson-Lady In Red.........absolute garbage!!!!!

I feel better now :D

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Reading people's choices has been a real eye opener and shows just how diverse this music category is.

What the replies actually indicate is that our personal tastes are often poles apart.

Its one thing to get tired of hearing what is essentially a solid record but to actually hate a record from the off means it must not fit your personal criteria for what makes a good 'un.

Hearing that Frank Beverley & the Butlers and the Detroit Executives are not just disliked for being over played but actually make some soul people's most hated tunes list makes me wonder what they are looking for in a record but I suppose that's because they're both right up there in my book as two of the best dance tracks ever played and which I cannot get tired of hearing. Now where did I put my hand bag!

Social source share

Pyramid - Soul Brothers Inc. Now you know you all hate it but are afraid to admit it because it's fashionable to say you love it as you think everyone else loves it

.... :ohmy: .....it's just a top dollar song Cunnie....you been at the rave dust again?? :wink:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

My three are

prince phillip mitchell - I'm so happy. Im not so happy when I here this wank makes me wanna gun everybody down dancing to it.

derek and ray interplay - bloody awful

mike post - afternoon at the rino - see above

Edited by Guest
Social source share

INKY,DINKY WANG DANG DIDDLY DO DO! DOTTIE+MILLIE-TWO OLD GRANNIES ON KARAOKE. SUE LLYN-NO, I DON'T PITY YOU!!!

Sue Lynn was the ultimate crack up record for me in 78 - awful record in my opinion.

Really like Soul Brothers Inc , brilliant record I think - but it's all subjective we can't all like the same thing.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

1 (by a long way) Queen Of Fools

2 Don't Pity Me - Sue Lynn. When I first heard it I thought it was called "Talk To Me". That was bad enough but when you know what she's really singing it's unbearable.

3 Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over Twice. It's Cha-Cha-Cha time.

The other one that used to drive me to despair was that jazzy piano instrumental version of My Baby Just Cares For Me that D.E. used to play at Wigan. Plod Plod Plod. I'm not 100% sure it was MBJCFM but that's what it sounded like.

Social source share

1 (by a long way) Queen Of Fools

2 Don't Pity Me - Sue Lynn. When I first heard it I thought it was called "Talk To Me". That was bad enough but when you know what she's really singing it's unbearable.

3 Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over Twice. It's Cha-Cha-Cha time.

The other one that used to drive me to despair was that jazzy piano instrumental version of My Baby Just Cares For Me that D.E. used to play at Wigan. Plod Plod Plod. I'm not 100% sure it was MBJCFM but that's what it sounded like.

I'm with you on queen of fools

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!