1963-2013 Soul Music Rip

Cunnie

I didn't even understand until recently how anyone could think that "soul music" existed past the early 80s (besides a few odd indie throwback things). It was interesting to recently learn that a radio station in the UK pretty much created a genre by pulling together different musics from the US (almost none of which locally would refer to themselves as "soul music") into a sort of coherent genre.

Anyways, from my perspective in the US, "soul music" is stronger than ever before. More and more people are making soulful music of different types (for example, my friend's "Cherries" label is making new boogie-type music, who would have thought anyone would have done that?). More mainstream music is influenced by soul. More local soul events in the US (multiple ones in most big cities) are happening and more younger people are getting into the music and even collecting 45s. Even "funk" collectors, who pretty much dead ended into buying vaguely funky white psychedelic folk, are now buying sweet soul 45s. UK style northern soul events and blues and soul were never part of my world.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Each to his own, ironically as i sit in what used to be my "record" room, before the thieving B****ds stole my collection, I am looking as Blues and Souls Nos 1 to 300 here on the floor, I think it lost its way when Disco appeared and when they went "Weekly" to compete with (Black) Echoes ... Also the burger vans a copy...Mark Bicknell had his first !¬

Rob

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That's a bit harsh on Ed Cunnie! Both if us were at the first 100 clubs and have been going to niters and do's ever since.. He has got a comedy Mod image though but it pays the bills.

Social source share

I understand your sadness Cunnie, but Blues and Soul has not been representative of any music scene that I identify with for a long long time.

As for the burgers and the shoes, that in itself forms only a tiny element of what makes our music scene still worth being proud of.

There is still so much that excites and delights, the shite has to be ignored.

TOTAL AGREEMENT ON ALL FRONTS......what have we been saying for generations now?...there is music and there is CRAP....AND OUTSIDE OF OUR WORLD, ITS UTTER CRAP.....zero originality, substandard cover versions of classics, why are so called pop stars obsessed with jacko arobics thats got sod all to do with dancing.......are we the only people who still possess the art?, why do all these music channels ( both radio & sky ) spout r & b....WHAT THE HELL HAS TODAYS JUNK GOT TO DO WITH R & B?,...JUST WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE RUNNING A ONCE INFORMATIVE INSTITUTION?...god knows how many sages are turning ( constantly ) over in their graves....there isnt a single release in the last twenty or even thirty years thats memorable where " soul " is concerned. and before i have the weight of the modern soul scene bear down on me,...THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT OR REFERENCE TO YOU, beause there is still a hugely significant difference there as well...IN THIS DAY & AGE, THAT IS REAL SOUL FOR OUR GENERATIONS , if you like it like that and im certainly not disagreeable....ITS THE WORLD OUTSIDE OF WHAT WE KNOW THAT REALLY GETS THE GOAT....its easy to say who gives a toss, let them get on with it, they're brainless, mindless knobheads who have been brainwashed by djs who have no real knowledge or concept of what real music is other than making a thump, thump noise and fueling it with drugs ( ashamedly something we are also not unfamiliar with ) why has every " artist got to have 50 robots backing him/her up to make the video look credible? WHATEVER IS WRONG WITH THE CONCEPT OF DOING YOUR OWN THING, EXPRESSING YOURSELF IN YOUR OWN UNIQUE WAY?. mundane existance goes way back to sensible totp, gobsmacked airheads gawping at W.C.F. showing the primates how to dance ( so what if it was footsee? )...supreme rant for a saturday?, i think not, because we've been here before with this subject....i just think you all like to read my sermons when i get one on me, and i bet uncle ted will pipe up and say im off on one again!.

Social source share

TOTAL AGREEMENT ON ALL FRONTS......what have we been saying for generations now?...there is music and there is CRAP....AND OUTSIDE OF OUR WORLD, ITS UTTER CRAP.....zero originality, substandard cover versions of classics, why are so called pop stars obsessed with jacko arobics thats got sod all to do with dancing.......are we the only people who still possess the art?, why do all these music channels ( both radio & sky ) spout r & b....WHAT THE HELL HAS TODAYS JUNK GOT TO DO WITH R & B?,...JUST WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE RUNNING A ONCE INFORMATIVE INSTITUTION?...god knows how many sages are turning ( constantly ) over in their graves....there isnt a single release in the last twenty or even thirty years thats memorable where " soul " is concerned. and before i have the weight of the modern soul scene bear down on me,...THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT OR REFERENCE TO YOU, beause there is still a hugely significant difference there as well...IN THIS DAY & AGE, THAT IS REAL SOUL FOR OUR GENERATIONS , if you like it like that and im certainly not disagreeable....ITS THE WORLD OUTSIDE OF WHAT WE KNOW THAT REALLY GETS THE GOAT....its easy to say who gives a toss, let them get on with it, they're brainless, mindless knobheads who have been brainwashed by djs who have no real knowledge or concept of what real music is other than making a thump, thump noise and fueling it with drugs ( ashamedly something we are also not unfamiliar with ) why has every " artist got to have 50 robots backing him/her up to make the video look credible? WHATEVER IS WRONG WITH THE CONCEPT OF DOING YOUR OWN THING, EXPRESSING YOURSELF IN YOUR OWN UNIQUE WAY?. mundane existance goes way back to sensible totp, gobsmacked airheads gawping at W.C.F. showing the primates how to dance ( so what if it was footsee? )...supreme rant for a saturday?, i think not, because we've been here before with this subject....i just think you all like to read my sermons when i get one on me, and i bet uncle ted will pipe up and say im off on one again!.

what are you on about ?
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Blimey :ohmy:

Bazza :hatsoff2:

Anyone got any chill pills for the agent :huh:

Edited by Bazza
Social source share

At the end of the day the magazine wouldn't survive with the music we like, we are a minority and shrinking. It has to encompass other black music and acts in order to get the revenue return to survive. Echoes is no different although there is a little more in it to do with what we follow, not a lot mind.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest phillybuster

Blues & Soul was vital to any soul fan in the early 70's in the UK - you would pick it up at your local record store when buying this weeks new US and UK releases. Black Music and Black Echoes diluted its importance eventually of course, but those involved in B&S were all important in establishing Soul Music in the UK - Godin, Abbey , Nathan etc. It spawned the great Contempo Record store in Hanway St in London (and of course Godin had Soul City latterly in Monouth Street) shop. Plus record labels like Mojo and Contempo. I guess it taught that generation (i.e. my) of Soul fans everything!

Think I bought my last one in 1977 (and i'm another that believes Soul quickly disappeared thereafter) - I then bought the 1000 issue for old times sake in 2007(?) and it immediately went bust!!! One irony of B&S was that for a spell it was printed in Middlesbrough which at the time when I was growing I thought was the most Soulless place in the country!!

Mike

No it wasn't, try Plymouth,shite for Soul.

Social source share

That's a bit harsh on Ed Cunnie! Both if us were at the first 100 clubs and have been going to niters and do's ever since.. He has got a comedy Mod image though but it pays the bills.

I wouldn't say Eds image was comedy at all, because he's one of the originals - The comedy ones are the ones that never 'did it' in the first place and are 'playing the part' - I.M.H.O of course :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

Northern Soul burger vans,

People constantly posting about shoe's for sale in the AATS forum,

More novelty value films,

Now this, the latest issue of a once great magazine stoops as low as it's possible to go IMO.

Just take a look at the latest on line issue of 'Blue's & Soul'.

https://www.bluesandsoul.com/

JLS on the front cover, features by Tom Jones, a Coronation St actor & a Paul Weller/Bradley Wiggins wanabee.

OK I might have been a bit harsh on Craig Charles & Eddie Piller but as for the other two is this what the Soul scene has morphed into???

What on earth would the sadly departed Dave Godin make of it?

Also, when I look on here at some of the lookbacks, I am amazed at the times I see reviews of who did the best butties or where the nicest hotel is or where to find a curry. What about the MUSIC, FFS??

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nothing at all? Nothing since 1982/3?

I've a cd sat in front of me that recently dropped through the letter box, The Dynamites feat Charles Walker and in a similar style Lee Fields. Daptone, Timmion been putting some great music out as well as many others without going down the "Modern" soul route. It is out there! All great Soul Music IMO

im not critisizing or condemning THIS music....you're talking about people who still want to make REAL RNB/ SOUL, not these juvenile pop artists who THINK they're portraying what rnb & soul is......THATS THE DIFFERENCE...i know if i want to buy whats coming out of the states in the way of nu soul, i need look no further, for instance, than soul brother in putney...those guys have always been at the forefront of cutting edge, the same music that richard searling champions week in week out...WHO'S GOT THE WRONG END OF THE STICK HERE?, im argueing about pop music posing as "soul or rnb"...do these generations seriously think it all started with rap/hip hop/break dancing? innovative lyrics and music...i think not!...why do their videos have to flash, flash, flash, never concentrating on the singer for more than 1 second, its always in a backstreet/subway/disco and they all have to have their troup of "dancers" and it has to be choreographed?, white kids who think they're black....black kids who think they're black...NO ROOTS WHATSOEVER

thats why we love what we love because our music is true to the word, whilst in the outside world everyone else is listening and singing along to a complete crock of shite....ffs, aren't we all glad we've got this scene?.....sanitised, understandable music, lyrically meaningful with imaginative colourful tunes that are great to dance to in one's own expressive manner....NOT 60 MILLION REGIMENTED ROBOTS WHO DONT KNOW ANY BETTER.

Social source share

Nothing at all? Nothing since 1982/3?

I've a cd sat in front of me that recently dropped through the letter box, The Dynamites feat Charles Walker and in a similar style Lee Fields. Daptone, Timmion been putting some great music out as well as many others without going down the "Modern" soul route. It is out there! All great Soul Music IMO

Couldn't agree more, Chalky. Huge respect to both those labels and their artists for what they're doing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wouldn't say Eds image was comedy at all, because he's one of the originals - The comedy ones are the ones that never 'did it' in the first place and are 'playing the part' - I.M.H.O of course :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

I've known Ed since we were 16. Run clubs and dayers together. There are Mods and there are proper Mods.

Social source share

I actually still get B&S in print ant to be honest it usually takes about ten minutes to read, it's getting to be a joke with crap like JLS in it.

A whole 10 minutes !

B&S in print......life's too short mate, it hasn't been relevant since the mid-90's when people that understood and cared were involved. :(

Social source share

im not critisizing or condemning THIS music....you're talking about people who still want to make REAL RNB/ SOUL, not these juvenile pop artists who THINK they're portraying what rnb & soul is......THATS THE DIFFERENCE...i know if i want to buy whats coming out of the states in the way of nu soul, i need look no further, for instance, than soul brother in putney...those guys have always been at the forefront of cutting edge, the same music that richard searling champions week in week out...WHO'S GOT THE WRONG END OF THE STICK HERE?, im argueing about pop music posing as "soul or rnb"...do these generations seriously think it all started with rap/hip hop/break dancing? innovative lyrics and music...i think not!...why do their videos have to flash, flash, flash, never concentrating on the singer for more than 1 second, its always in a backstreet/subway/disco and they all have to have their troup of "dancers" and it has to be choreographed?, white kids who think they're black....black kids who think they're black...NO ROOTS WHATSOEVER

thats why we love what we love because our music is true to the word, whilst in the outside world everyone else is listening and singing along to a complete crock of shite....ffs, aren't we all glad we've got this scene?.....sanitised, understandable music, lyrically meaningful with imaginative colourful tunes that are great to dance to in one's own expressive manner....NOT 60 MILLION REGIMENTED ROBOTS WHO DONT KNOW ANY BETTER.

what are you talking about? the music that people actually made and called "soul" stopped in the '70s. "Real R&B music" moved on and continues to evolve. what happened in 2013? what are you talking about music focusing on dancing? that was true during the soul era probably more than now. I think you live in a different world than me.

Social source share

The irony is is that the black music community as a whole is wetting itself that loads of bald men in their 50's are still noting the matrix numbers of 60 year old records whilst they stop banging on about the past and go out and create new music.

To say there's been nothing 'soulful' released since nineteenseventywhenever is simply ridiculous.

Some of the most soulful records around were made only a few years ago, many of them by white artists with roots no deeper then their gums. The prices on some have far exceeded more prime, original cuts.

I always felt that Atlantic's soul output sold plenty white pop rubbish and would take the likes of 'This Girl' over all of Otis Redding's boring commitments to vinyl.

Pop music is pop music. Motown was pop music. Atlantic too. It sold fucking millions! Just 6 decades ago! JLS for whatever colour you decide to fancy this week are a really vocally talented bunch of lads. Despite what their songwriters throw at them.

Social source share

The irony is is that the black music community as a whole is wetting itself that loads of bald men in their 50's are still noting the matrix numbers of 60 year old records whilst they stop banging on about the past and go out and create new music.

no they aren't, they don't even know or care about a small group of old bald men mostly in the UK.

To say there's been nothing 'soulful' released since nineteenseventywhenever is simply ridiculous.

I never said that. There is a difference between "soul music" and "soulful music". People stopped making what they called "soul music" in the late 70s. I don't see how 2013 has anything to do with the death of "soulful" music except from the perspective of an insular aging scene.

Social source share

Any chance you could expand on that, Boba, I'm interested to understand what you mean.

Cheers

Roger

People in the US stopped referring to the music they were making as "soul music". A genre called "soul music" in the US ceased to exist. "Soul Train" continued but "Soul" magazine, the TV show "Soul", etc. dropped out. Only in the UK was there some sort of consistent genre called "Soul" assembled out of different R&B genres created in the US that didn't necessarily interact with each other domestically.

Social source share

Last time I recall listening to music, SOUL music was a sound, not what someone decided to print on a page. By those standards, MIck Hucknall is a soul artist LOL

Did you actually listen to it?

You are totally missing the point I am making. There is a level of intentionality and different r&b scenes that have no interaction with each other except that some people in the UK decided that it had a specific sound. The example you gave is particularly egregious because THE ARTIST HIMSELF CALLS IT BLUES. I don't know how to make this point any clearer. If you mean an actual "genre" that existed in the US, that genre ended in the 70s. If you mean "soulful music", or even "soul" as in the genre that a bunch of people in the UK decided to create by picking and choosing different elements of US r&b, I have no idea what 2013 has to do with the "death of soul".

Social source share

By the way, I googled "mick hucknall", found he was the simply red dude. Simply Red not only got R&B radio play in the US but I know a lot of older people (some of them actual "soul" singers) who really like Simply Red. You're living in a world with arbitrary lines and aren't able to see outside of that to see that other lines are drawn elsewhere.

Any my point is I don't understand why the UK invented genre of "soul" died in 2013.

Social source share

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is full stop.

Firstly, the UK did not 'invent the gene of soul', its well documented that the term was used in gospel way back, and that Ray Charles is credited with first using the term to describe the mix of gospel and rythym and blues.

Your point on the track I posted not being soul music made in the last year is because the cd has the word 'blues' in the title, not 'soul'. This is irrelevant, it's what it sounds like that makes it soul. There are many examples of blues artists recording soul tracks.

As another example on 'is soul music dead', listen to Anthony Hamilton 'Change the world', which is another fine example of soul music. Soul music never stopped being made, to the mainstream listener it went UNDERGROUND to some extent. It's not dead because it's not in the charts or being played on mainstream radio. Oh, hang on, didn't just about every song discussed on this forum suffer the same fate.

Anyway, I do respect your opinions boba, I just think you have missed the point on this one :)

cheers Sutty

Social source share

Nothing really changes. Soul music is out there...just hard to find. Fashionable [modern] R+B is simply black pop. There has always been black pop. When I was a young teenager Limmy + The Family Cookin got in the charts not the Soul Children.

cheers

dean

Edited by dean jj
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought this threat was a lament to the much loved old publication Blues And Soul which has now obviously hit rock bottom and ready to croak , whatever term we want to call soul music now it is still produced in the U.S and of great quality but the uk scene is basically a retro scene and thus open to gimmicks and the like .

Social source share

I am definitely not missing the point. We are not communicating at this point. I tried to express my point as concretely as possible, I don't think I can make it without getting more abstract, which probably won't work. I'm sorry, and I do appreciate the fact that you like good, soulful music.

Social source share

I thought this threat was a lament to the much loved old publication Blues And Soul which has now obviously hit rock bottom and ready to croak , whatever term we want to call soul music now it is still produced in the U.S and of great quality but the uk scene is basically a retro scene and thus open to gimmicks and the like .

this is a much more specific point. But even in this point you have to differentiate between "blues and soul" (which represented "new" soul music) and the retro northern soul scene, which even initially embraced music that was not soul or even soulful at all, and which has been a retro / nostalgia scene for a while now, right? A northern soul hamburger truck isn't really that different from another lifestyle-focused nostalgia event in that the focus is on something that happened in a specific UK subculture at a specific time and not so much the music itself.

Social source share

I am definitely not missing the point. We are not communicating at this point. I tried to express my point as concretely as possible, I don't think I can make it without getting more abstract, which probably won't work. I'm sorry, and I do appreciate the fact that you like good, soulful music.

also, I think the main reason we are not communicating is a perspective thing -- I think people see music much differently in the US than they do in the UK for example.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!