Gone With The Wind: Best Version?

Guest Droylsdonian

Guest Droylsdonian

When Gloria recorded this, nobody could have had any idea that she would quickly have had passed it over and wasted an opportunity to have sung one NS all-time classic, because she thought it more of a fella's toon. Just like 'I ain't goin nowhere', which she wrote, but never recorded, & gave to Jnr. Walker. He was a bloke, btw.

Which is the best? I could tell you which is the most 'Northern', but that

ain't the point:

Edited by Droylsdonian
Social source share

Rita & the Tiaras for me' great tune not that rare imo but always goes for big money.

all the big collectors this ' i have few copies over the years and never paid more than £200 pounds.

Social source share

Betty Willis is the other version, more soulful but not the dancer Rita is, still very good though IMO.

Nice version, great soulful slighlty jazzy feel (could imagine Nina Simone doing a good job) and a nice deep flip - but like you say not really for the Northern dancers..

Social source share

And another one

===================================================================================================================

Rita's vocals are far smoother than GJ's imho...song flows better somehow. As far as Pete S's clip goes....the lead singer struggles badly with the verses at certain points but I actually love her voice when she delivers the chorus......that massive pony-tail does something for me too...so judgement might be slightly clouded!!! :D

Social source share

===================================================================================================================

Rita's vocals are far smoother than GJ's imho...song flows better somehow. As far as Pete S's clip goes....the lead singer struggles badly with the verses at certain points but I actually love her voice when she delivers the chorus......that massive pony-tail does something for me too...so judgement might be slightly clouded!!! :D

I have no opinion of it, I just remembered someone posting this a few years ago so I was just re-posting it.

But of the actual record - just prefer the original version on the Dore single, don't like the versions with the extra verse.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Well, I did ask what, I hope, was not a loaded question.

Rita does sound a tad downbeat, but - as ever - that can be very positive in a NS song.

I am undecided.

Social source share

All three version are excellent in their own way! The Kent Select version is clearer,accentuating the strings and backing vocals, which is an enjoyable variation to the Dore 45, i.m.o.

Personally its just as good without the added verse. The extended version adds nothing to the quality IMO, doesn't make it any better nor any worse, IMO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!