John Manships Auction Results 9-1-2013

7682sm.jpg

Cashmeres

Show Stopper C/w Don't Let The Door Hit Your Back

No words from me can elevate this disc any higher than it already sits…

This is Northern Soul vocal-group dance at it VERY FINEST!

BOTH SIDES!

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 1,717.00

7685sm.jpg

Arcades

There's Got To Be A Loser C/w The Soul P. W.

Rumor has it Ron Badger was a local Bay Area entrepreneur and “Car Dealer” ? Well if Ron did sell cars, he was also certainly very well connected with the Oakland music scene, as this recording involves the great Johnny Hartsman & prolific indie soul producer Jesse Mason. The gathering gives the year earlier Jessie James’s - “Are You Gonna Leave Me” failure a rethink using a vocal group to pep things up and have a 2nd. shot at a hit.

As we now know, this one too failed miserably, creating not one but two highly regarded Northern Soul rarities using the same backing track. Until recent times the Jesse James seemed to be the much-rarer of the two achieving 4 figure sums at auction. These days this gap has closed and so has the value.

Being a sucker for the vocal-group sound I prefer this take - and today to have a copy in totally pristine condition has alerted me to dig in my collection copy out and start playing it in sets. Take a listen I think you’ll agree this is one helluva tune.. that requires much more exposure.. then the value-gap between Jesse and Arcades will certainly shrink some more..

The winning bid was £ 486.00

7667sm.jpg

Billboard - The World Of Soul

June 24th. 1967 Edition

Documenting the Impact Of Blues and R&B upon our musical culture!

BILLBOARD “WORLD OF SOUL” special June 24 1967 - an unequaled gathering of 92 pages dedicated to the 60s Soul Record Companies and their artists..

I Particularly like the clean-line company adverts - the Record-art, the artist stories and the sheer volume of information bulging from it’s page.

The cover has light creasing but all the goodies inside are in excellent UNBLEMISHED condition. Keep as a whole or break up for just far too many nostalgic pics begging to be framed.

See some of the inside ads and pics at our facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/john.manship.7

The winning bid was £ 84.00

7684sm.jpg

Johnny Tipp

Till I Met You

As the world’s foremost Deep Soul expert Mr. Shambling will confirm this raresoulman debut listing is a RAREST OF THE RARE Deep Soul trophy and a previously UNDOCUMENTED release.

The mysterious Johnny Tipp co-writes this “Otis” inspired excursion into despair. Recorded in New York by Sanfris’s ever-present label owner & producer Miss Santa Friscia, a lady who seemed to be able to produce all the different styles of music Sanfris were prepared to release.

Unfortunately this street-level enterprise failed with most all their releases and to my knowledge this was there one and only journey into the Deep Soul arena.

Listen and you’ll hear a tuly beseeching recording that Percy Sledge, Arthur Conley and maybe even the “BIG O” would have been proud of.

Rare in the extreme!

The winning bid was £ 68.00

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

7681sm.jpg

Bobby Paris

I Walked Away

So perfect is this copy - we have used a previous listing for the sound-file, as we are determined to keep the integrity of this UNPLAYED 45 year old disc.

A Northern Soul classic that enjoys a scramble and dash for dancefloor space every time it’s played. Even after near 40 years this NS Anthem still has the power to lift an evening!

Nuff said - if it wasn’t for the discreet date on label 8-13-67 you’d think this copy was made yesterday..

You will not ever find a fine copy!

The winning bid was £ 331.00

7680sm.jpg

Rudy Mockabee

Sweet Thing C/w Cheer Up (daddy's Coming Home)

Every dog has it’s day on the Northern Soul scene - I can remember Brian “45” Phillips listing this 45, on his legendary & eagerly awaited Friday Northern Soul lists from Manchester. Strange name? I thought - but of course I was chasing the more obvious things like Jerry Cook - I Hurt On The Other Side etc. so I never heard it until some years later.

Now fully 40 years on - this mountain of snarling Georgia Northern Soul is receiving big backing from the DJ’s determined to inject life into their sets. Hear Rudy churn out one of those growling sessions you associate with the greats like Bobby Bland, Buddy Lamp & Johnny Sayles.

Dave Crawford surrounds this curled-up-top-lip performance with horns, bass and a Soul-Sister chorus; then wisely makes it a Northern Soul winner with a cool repeated twice instrumental break with Bass Guitar and drums driving it to another level!

Deep Soul scholars will be quick to point out the flipside is an on-ya-knees version of Roy Lee Johnson’s Deep as-you-like-it classic!

Two great sides and please not this copy was perhaps UNPLAYED before we lifted the impressive sound file. Flip has a light surface blemish - a-sde is PERFECT!

The winning bid was £ 134.00

7691sm.jpg

Monitors

We're The Monitors

RARE 1968 USA PROMO copy still retains original inner sleeve.

We’ve raved over many LPs on these pages - especially Hesitations, Freddie Butler, Tempests etc. About tracks of Northern Soul distinction that failed to achieve release as a 45, this album offers a tad more than that.

Besides giving up two spectacular non-45 NS outings 1. Somebody Share A Little Love With Me 2. Serve Yourself A Cup Of Happiness.

It also offers the group’s very best V.I.P. recordings 1. Say You 2. Since I Lost You Baby 3. The Further You Look The Less You See 4. Number One In Your Heart 5. Step By Step etc. etc.

In fact every track is a winner + the bonus of a glorious harmony ballad “Share The Blame” so check out the irresistible taster soundfile, it will galvanize your respect for this much under-rated Motown Group who unfortunately for us only release one album…this it and it’s GREAT!

As a PROMO copy it’s so much more than great…

The winning bid was £ 70.00

7690sm.jpg

Rod Jordan

I Live In A Castle

Motor City BEAT BALLAD HEAVEN!

You can always guarantee a mountainous production when Ollie McLaughlin is behind the screen. Check out this mighty Detroit Beater, the easy going vocal strolls through a maze of vibes, trombones and strings..perfectly timed breaks are filled with xylophone rings, violins and brass.

Just as you settle the production builds and builds t such a pitch it’ll have you punching the air. Personally I think this is a unsung NS masterpiece enthrall with it’s majestic charm, no more superlatives from me; enjoy and like me you’ll run dry of words to describe this significant Detroit happening.

PS this copy is MINT!

The winning bid was £ 219.00

Social source share

7687sm.jpg

Oaxaca

Stop Your Crying

Collecting Northern Soul does not get any obscurer than this debutant!

Spectacularly RARE Crossover groove that will have you guessing and re-guessing it’s origins - an Ernest Rios project blending jazz, soul and some of the most fantastic saxophone work into and uplifting vocal group dancer that constantly changes with unexpected instrumental breaks and a lead girl vocal that will enter your soul. Highpoint is a brief slow down in pace, highlighted by a lone saxophone..and we’re off again, into dance mode.

Perhaps the rarest crossover 45 we have listed in memory…awaiting an inspired DJ who doesn’t run with the crowd..

The winning bid was £ 287.00

7692sm.jpg

Stage Coach

When You Left You Did Me In C/w Come With Me

The seldom seen 45 from the so-wanted 1984 Los Angeles indie United Sound album - Playing Games -

An album wanted mostly for it’s electro Boogie cuts, but we’ve lead with the exceptional harmony vocal ballad that drifts into pure soul as a lazy piano eases along with a hurting lead vocal.

What a line “When You Left You Did Me In”! Adrian Chivers life-experience lyrics are subtly handled by the highly hones production skills of Patrick Moten.

It’s not the first or last time Mr. Moten has pleasured the rare soul collector, this one if you love 80s soul-steppes is exceptional for the genre.

The winning bid was £ 37.00

7694sm.jpg

Lorenzo Manley

(i'm Gonna) Swoop Down On You

This one is for the Old School Northern Soulie - this tune today is a distant but fond memory for those who attended Up The Junction, Va Va’s, The Torch, Catacombs, Bletsoe etc. and all the other all nite Soul clubs scattered around England in opening years of the 70s.

We think this classic would be a great revival choice, it would certainly please the paid-up members of the Soul fraternity. But that is not why it’s on auction today. There is a huge army of dedicated NS collectors chasing the real-deal classics in there rarest form and in the finest possible;e condition.

So how about this VERY RARE PROMO in PERFECT condition still encased in it’s 46 year old birthday jacket.

Looks beautiful doesn’t it - click the sound file to be rocketed back to the “TORCH”… or wherever fed your soul 40n years ago..

The winning bid was £ 109.00

Social source share

7693sm.jpg

Miracles

Shop Around C/w Who's Loving You

With this Motown classic on the 1960 UK release, it’s all about CONDITION.

TMG addicts may have a quick dash to the shelves and see if your file copy is a strong clean Mint - with two perfect labels.

Motown’s first USA #1 never took off in Britain and sold little and today 52 years later a copy in Mint minus copy is seldom on offer.

If your upgrading - this will be your last purchase of this groundbreaking Motown anthem.

The winning bid was £ 70.00

7689sm.jpg

Kai Winding

Comin' Home Baby

The power of the MOD scene has shaped and reshaped Northern Soul throughout the decades and is still doing so today. The DJ’s being slightly left field with some of their choices for dancefloor reaction but many rising up past and beyond MOD to become Northern Soul dancefloor favourites.

Mel Torme’s - Coming Home Baby - is one such record that is so infectious most every variation of the song is warmly welcomed by the dancer. In recent times Dee Dee Sharp’s Cameo LP take on it, went NS “massive”.

Here’s an instrumental take that has also enjoyed strong dance-floor reaction over the years - but rarely if ever witnessed as this ridiculously rare 1963 UK DEMO!

So very MOD and a great Northern Soul instrumental too…in by far it’s rarest and most-desirable form.

The winning bid was £ 63.00

7688sm.jpg

Royalettes

Only When You're Lonely C/w You Bring Me Down

Teddy Randazzo’s scintillating girl-group with one of their finest offerings to Northern Soul hidden away on a flip side.

This is a stunningly silky version of the Ken Williams composition that Holly Maxwell brought to our attention via the selective turntable choice of Richard Searling.

The serious UK collector will not only appreciate the allure of the Red & White DEMO but also the rarity of this 45 as the 1966 UK press. So take a listen, this 45 is so much more than a thing of beauty, the grooves drip with soulful sultry girl-group class, just as you’d expect when Teddy Randazzo is at the controls.

The winning bid was £ 33.00

Social source share

Still trying to sell my Rudy Mockabee, no takers when offered here for £125. £100 anyone?

idiots out there payed lot of money for this '£40 pounds imo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert