Terry Callier - Beeejesus

bri pinch

Really never understand the outrage on here over the prices people pay on ebay or with Manship.

Apart from those perhaps who inherit their wealth or achieve it through illegal or immoral means, generally speaking most people work hard and/or educate themselves to be able to put themselves and their lives in a position where they can spend their money in any way they like and whether they pay $370.00 or $970.00 for Terry Callier really is of little consequence to them ... what's $600 bucks if they can get a record they really want and love - that's great if you can do that , isn't it?

Troble is now ones gone for that kinda money everyone else is gonna want that kinda money for it, it also pushes the average price up for that tune on sites like Popsike witch is what I and a lot of folk use to price records by, it being the price they have sold as against the price thats being asked by dealers.

Total madness to pay that for this, good as the tune is theres rarer and better tunes out there for that kinda of money and as such would be a better investment for you money, it not as if this tune dosnt show up is it, even if your desperate for it.

Edited by miff
Social source share

Troble is now ones gone for that kinda money everyone else is gonna what that kinda money for it, it also pushes the average price up for that tune on sites like Popsike witch is what I and a lot of folk use to price records by, it being the price they have sold as against the price thats being asked by dealers.

Total madness to pay that for this, good as the tune is theres rarer and better tunes out there for that kinda of money and as such would be a better investment for you money, it not as if this tune dosnt show up is it, even if your desperate for it.

Well this whole process is called the "free market' isn't it?

And if you're also living in a free society , your arm isn't being twisted to buy a record like this ... even at what some might regard as a stupid price.

Not madness is it, if this is the record that you really want ?

Also why are you looking at it in terms of "a better investment"? Unless your a dealer, don't most soul people buy particular records to own them, love them and play them ... and without regard for what they might or might not be worth in the future ?

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Well this whole process is called the "free market' isn't it?

And if you're also living in a free society , your arm isn't being twisted to buy a record like this ... even at what some might regard as a stupid price.

Not madness is it, if this is the record that you really want ?

Also why are you looking at it in terms of "a better investment"? Unless your a dealer, don't most soul people buy particular records to own them, love them and play them ... and without regard for what they might or might not be worth in the future ?

The point i was trying to make was if you want to spend £600 quid on a record then there are records out there that are worth that amount now and because of there reatity will always be worth that amount or more, this recored is not rare enough to be worth that amount and the buyer if he waited a while or serched properly could have and would have found this record for less.

On a more personal note and solely down to my taste the album cut is the much better take and would of only cost £30 max

as to a free market if idiots like this carry on paying to much for records because they got to own it at any cost is falsely pushing up the price, if we carry on along this road the only folk who will own the records we all love and cherish will end up in the hands of the Rich, we slowly getting on that way now how many £1000 records are there about nowadys? obscure and hard to find records are easier to obtain today then back in the oldays there more dealers around, you dont have to attend events to buy,ebay etc,

The free market is based on supply and demand, well the demand is there but the supply level has gone up and should make the price go down should it not?

Just as a foot note

Median Price = £175

Mean Price = £163

Highist Price = £490 Till now

Edited by miff
Social source share

At the risk of sounding morbid, the value of most artists work (both artistically and financially) goes up after they've passed on...

And don't forget, there were two people who were prepared to pay that price. Let's face it, anyone paying more than the price of a brand new record is slightly eccentric! Always amuses me when people describe £50 tunes as "cheapies"...

Social source share

Beautiful record and nice to see a great conditioned issue. Very tough to find. Even the white demos are hard to find in good nick so if someone's got the money and really wants this item they will bid to get it. It might be a long time before they see another issue this nice. Mind you after this end price we might see a few more turning up.

Social source share

Surely very smart if you never have to worry about whether you're spending $6 or $600 !!!

To be honest, unless you inherit money you don't get rich with that attitude.

The stupidity of this Terry Callier auction is that if the buyer had put a want up on here and said they were prepared to pay £400 for a mint issue, they would probably have got one.

Instead the winning bidder looks to have put a number of bids in at various (almost) reasonable levels until on 8 Feb, after being outbid and some 13 hours before the auction finish, they put a lump of a bid in. After that a snipe bid 6 seconds before the end (with an equally lumpy bid) pushed the winning bidder up about $370.

I reckon the winning bidder has taken the view that by putting a large bid in they will outbid everyone sensible, but unfortunately somebody else with deep pockets has had a similar strategy.

I wonder if one of them is a bit hacked off today while the other is saying "phew!"

• Helpful 3
Social source share

So what is the value of a mint issue of this, and who has one. Virtually every single copy of this record I've seen has been the white demo.

This record is far rarer than 'Look At Me Now', so if you really want one....

I'm not saying this is a reasonable price (though I certainly don't think there are many better records), I'm just not convinced that you'd have many offers of one if you put a want up, because I don't think that many are out there.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Surely very smart if you never have to worry about whether you're spending $6 or $600 !!!

So if your rich you must be smart? I suppose being rich makes you good looking to

Social source share

So if your rich you must be smart? I suppose being rich makes you good looking to

Well , if you have put yourself in a position in life where - not by illegal or immoral means or by inheritance - you have accumulated enough wealth to not have to really care too much about paying a few hundred or more dollars or pounds above the odds when you want to buy a record (for example) , then you must have been doing something right and more than likely have a fair amount of brains in your head and/or worked very hard in life to get to that position .

As for looks, no, there are probably - proportionately - as many ugly rich people as there are ugly poor people.

Social source share

Social source share

Well it seems our Brads got another 'shit rare' issue the guy who lost the last one should win this one at much less than last time hehe

https://www.ebay.co.u...=item5aecf45ad6

Be interesting to see what this one goes for given the desciption

Terry Callier

Ordinary Joe / Golden Circle Of Your Love (Cadet)

Record is in poor condition, with heat damage

Plays with an annoying repetitive 'thunk' during the whole second half of the song.

Does not skip at all

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!