Answering Wants

Guest Soultown andy

Guest Soultown andy

Over the last few weeks have answered a number of wants in the sales section,i find it strange that some dont answer in any way what so ever.Have had a conversation with 3 members today who use the sales section on here far more than i do they also say some ignore them completley.I find this very strange do they really want the records, or maybe the price shocks em into silence lol.Wonderin what others thought of this.

Social source share

Just had the same experience with yet another time wasting wants pillock.

heres the gist.

Pillock posts a want.

I dig the record out check condition and PM with price inc postage.

Pillock asks if so&so is on the flip.

Although I know whats on the flip (it was only released once !) I dig record out again

and check, then PM said Pillock that its the correct flip and send paypal address.

Pillock says thats great and thanks, but he needs it quickly.

PM said Pillock again saying I will post it first thing the next morning.

Check PM's and paypal for payment etc 4 times the next day PM pillock

due to no payment.

No reply from Pillock.

PM Pillock next day to remind him.

No reply from Pillock for 2 days now.

Heres a clue to said Pillocks ID.

I Might Be Sore At You.

Kegsy

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Had this happen just lately Andy , bugs me to death especially when the ''buyer'' scours old sales lists from 6 months previous . I even offered the record at a silly price , well below dealer prices .

Its hard to understand really,even a OW MUCH YOU ROBBIN C--T would do lol. Could even be that some are after boots but dont say so,and when quoted ov price just go silent in shock.Or maybe just plain ignorant :g: .

Social source share

Just had the same experience with yet another time wasting wants pillock.

heres the gist.

Pillock posts a want.

I dig the record out check condition and PM with price inc postage.

Pillock asks if so&so is on the flip.

Although I know whats on the flip (it was only released once !) I dig record out again

and check, then PM said Pillock that its the correct flip and send paypal address.

Pillock says thats great and thanks, but he needs it quickly.

PM said Pillock again saying I will post it first thing the next morning.

Check PM's and paypal for payment etc 4 times the next day PM pillock

due to no payment.

No reply from Pillock.

PM Pillock next day to remind him.

No reply from Pillock for 2 days now.

Heres a clue to said Pillocks ID.

I Might Be Sore At You.

Kegsy

Sounds like they wanted it fast and got one faster maybe?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Sounds like they wanted it fast and got one faster maybe?

Cheers

Richard

This was over the weekend so he couldnt have got it any faster than

me posting it monday mornning.

He may have got one cheaper or whatever

but a simple PM saying so would have been fine.

Kegsy

Social source share

Its hard to understand really,even a OW MUCH YOU ROBBIN C--T would do lol. Could even be that some are after boots but dont say so,and when quoted ov price just go silent in shock.Or maybe just plain ignorant :g: .

Think the best one I've had is after no response to me saying I had the record,got a PM weeks later,letting me know they'd bought the record elsewhere,WHAT???
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

I think I cover most if not all these points raised in the Wants guidelines but what can you do if people do not take note.

Other tham make it compulsory to state a price willing to pay which I think is a step too far as deals on here are between members and I dont want to be too rigid.

Irritating but move on I guess.

ROD

Agree it is mostly covered rod,was just wonderin what others thought after a couple of people today said it happened to them quite regularly as well.A s you say nowt to be done about it but quite annoying all the same.

Social source share

I've sent quite a few pm's recently in reply to wants. The one's who don't bother to reply seem mainly to be members who haven't been around on SS for any length of time, or who haven't posted much, as opposed to the longer established members who you usually get a response from!

I'd say it's only polite to respond, even if it's a "thanks but no thanks as I'm already sorted" on said want?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just as a suggestion off the top of my head...

What about if, when someone started a topic in Wants, a window popped up - perhaps in the same way that it does when you click onto the site when you receive an email notification that someone here has sent you a message. The window could contain a few simple guidelines that might increase courtesy, etc.

Because you wouldn't want to cram too much info into the body of the window, a link to the relevant threads pinned to the top of the Wants forum could be provided in the window. Buyers would be better educated and potential sellers made less grumpy.

Thinking about it, perhaps the idea would also work in Sales (with the information being targeted at sellers rather than buyers, of course).

No idea whether this is practical from a technical perspective. And as I say, just a thought.

Social source share

I would concur with the above sentiments...many chancers who will quote popsike or what their mate things is the best price..RARE RECORDS ARE EXACTLY THAT....RARE...However the people who are serious will often buy quickly...and many thanks to those who have bought from me...

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

What I find irritating is a lot of people post wants on here that if they done a quick search could find them easily, it's lazy to come on here and ask and for me anyway would be a last resort

Social source share

best answer I recently had after answering a fellas IMMENSE wants list with a few heavy hitters off his list "sorry, great items but I have no money at the moment". Nth wrong with that..BUT WHY POST A MASSIVE BIG HITTERS WANTS LIST THEN ??? LOL ...crazy place indeed this planet sometimes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

best answer I recently had after answering a fellas IMMENSE wants list with a few heavy hitters off his list "sorry, great items but I have no money at the moment". Nth wrong with that..BUT WHY POST A MASSIVE BIG HITTERS WANTS LIST THEN ??? LOL ...crazy place indeed this planet sometimes.

Was "Dream World" by Don Downing on his wants list? He certainly seemed to be living in one.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I have to admit I do post on the Wants list, I hope I've always replied. You do get offered all sorts of conditions and prices,

it looks like some people who say they'll sell are really only chancing to see how high a "Wantee" will go.

I also scour old lists to ask if item is still available, I've picked up quite a few this way. I have asked once or twice if an item

has been sold to give me an idea what's the thing worth.

It's all part and parcel of Buy/Sell..........................

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Probably off topic, but I had a similar thing from my family history website recently. A guy fills in the contact form with details of what he is stuck on so I take an hour to rummage round the problem, put the family together, look at his tree on ancestry and decide what needs doing (local research at 2 different archives) and send him an email covering what I've found, my conclusions and suggestions of what needs to be done to try and solve the problem, also give him a run down of my (v cheap) costs.

He replies and says "thanks very much, I'll take that on board, unfortunately I have no money"

Presumably he thought I was going to rush off to Wakefield and Leeds for a couple of mornings out of the goodness of my heart? :facepalm:

You do wonder sometimes.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Guest CARL D

I would like to appologise to anyone on here who i might not have replied to regarding a want that they've kindly let me know they have. It's certainly not my intention to be rude, but i am rather forgetful. Those i have bought from, or who've helped me get a 45,e.g-Mark Bicknell, Tony Foster, Pete S, Stanley, Ian Kinmond-Thankyou,appreciated!!! Carl.

Social source share

Was "Dream World" by Don Downing on his wants list? He certainly seemed to be living in one.

Marc & Gene, if it's the recent big list which appeared recently I thought that he'd won the lotto, or he'd come into a large inheritance :D

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

What I find irritating is a lot of people post wants on here that if they done a quick search could find them easily, it's lazy to come on here and ask and for me anyway would be a last resort

Sometimes I know that if I went on Gemm or elsewhwere I could dig up a copy... but I think maybe a fellow soulie might be short of dough and need some readies, and let something go without putting their whole collection up for sale online - so I give them the option.

It's not laziness, I know how to use ebay, gemm, discogs, moerer, manship etc and I do use them obviously. But I'm putting up a want in soul source for soul source members, it's not a general enquiry or a last resort it's a request.

Social source share

Sometimes I know that if I went on Gemm or elsewhwere I could dig up a copy... but I think maybe a fellow soulie might be short of dough and need some readies, and let something go without putting their whole collection up for sale online - so I give them the option.

It's not laziness, I know how to use ebay, gemm, discogs, moerer, manship etc and I do use them obviously. But I'm putting up a want in soul source for soul source members, it's not a general enquiry or a last resort it's a request.

Exactly and I trust folk on here know how to grade, and how to pack a record for post!

Social source share

Exactly and I trust folk on here know how to grade, and how to pack a record for post!

Not all unfortunately, bought a M- record once which looked like it had been skated over. The sellers excuse for gradeing it M- was that it was the best copy of that particular record he'd seen/had :huh::facepalm:

Social source share

Here's a reply I got recently........................can't make my mind up which is worse, those who don't answer at all or p--s takers like this one!!!! :glare:

Hi Carol,

thanks for the message - I managed to spend my money again before I got back to you however, if its still there i'll get it next month if its not already gone.

Social source share

Here's a reply I got recently........................can't make my mind up which is worse, those who don't answer at all or p--s takers like this one!!!! :glare:

Hi Carol,

thanks for the message - I managed to spend my money again before I got back to you however, if its still there i'll get it next month if its not already gone.

Needless to say he didn't...........................bloody time wasters!!!!

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

Hi Carol,

At least he/she responded Carol :D

Social source share

At least he/she responded Carol :D

From me replying to him with a price to getting this reply was only an hour and a half!!! I think I would've preferred a no reply to be honest or maybe a bit of honesty, as in, "your price is more than I wanted to pay"........... nothing wrong with that!!!

Thankfully though, this kind of thing is in the minority.............. :thumbsup:

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

I'm very selective on the wants ads I respond to. If I have something, and I feel that they are genuine (sometimes quite easy to get that vibe), then I'll get in touch. It's not at all often I do respond, but the one ad I responded to recently did result in a very happy, smooth transaction.

Generally, I find a sizeable amount of people who post wants ads either lack the good manners to respond, or are just daydreamers, freeloaders or tyre-kickers, and that's why I don't go out of my way to help the majority of wants, if I have what they want.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Someone put a record up for sale a while ago but I didn't have the money at the time. Fast forward a few weeks when I did have the money I did a search to see if it had sold, saw nothing on the thread to say it had so I pm'd him asking if he still had it for sale - he completely blanked me despite reading my pm. Would it have killed him to say sorry it's gone? Good business sense if nothing else I would have thought. All he's succeeded in doing is losing a potential customer as I don't even bother looking at his sales lists anymore

I really can't get my head around the manners of some people (or should I say lack of)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Can you give negative feedback even if a transaction never took place?

I did and the person played hell up, reported me :lol: think I offered him a want he asked for and he completely ignored me. I removed it eventually after several exchanges as he apologised and admitted he was wrong not to reply.

Social source share

Well if someone wastes my time Pete I will leave them a negative.

Why would someone leave a negative if you've done nothing wrong? If you have the evidence then surely you would get Rod involved?

Because there are some pretty nasty people about believe it or not mate.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!