Psychedelic Soul?

I don't suppose psychedelic soul is an out and out genre of its own. But it's great to here soul sounds with that kind of vibe. Theres a few prominent black people on the 60s psych/rock scene with the obvious being Hendrix and Love ( the lead singer was a genius, but cant for the life of me remember his name). But they lack the soulful sounds that a lot of these tracks have.

Social source share

Guest john s

I don't suppose psychedelic soul is an out and out genre of its own. But it's great to here soul sounds with that kind of vibe. Theres a few prominent black people on the 60s psych/rock scene with the obvious being Hendrix and Love ( the lead singer was a genius, but cant for the life of me remember his name). But they lack the soulful sounds that a lot of these tracks have.

Arthur Lee.

Social source share

The guys that were Edwin Starr's backing band from 1965 to around 68 (the Soul Agents) became (after the 2 brass players went home to Cleveland) Black Merda.

Their stuff (under the Black Merda name) was heavily influenced by the Hendrix' sound.

It's not actually my 'cup of tea' ....

...... but it just shows how easy it was back then to go from performing as Impact (behind Gene Chandler, Billy Butler, the Artistics & the Spinners) to backing Edwin on "Back Street", "Stop Her On Sight", "You're My Mellow" & "25 Miles" to cutting "Foxy Lady" & "Reality". ............

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

As has been mentioned previously some of the stuff on this thread I wouldn't consider to be pysch soul so I suppose we could go to the other extreme with something like The Burning Bush - Keeps On Burning, which is pure pysch for my money but obviously was picked up for plays on the northern scene.

Social source share

there a fair amount on here that, for me have very little to do with phyc soul, detroit seemed to be a bit of a hotbed for it, the early clintonj stuff for sure, maybe the influence of act like the stoogies and MC5 was a factor. I have to agree that sly definatly had the sound, as does quite of lot of funk out of texas, such as mickey and the soul generation.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!