Psychedelic Soul?

Ok, ive been getting into sounds like The Parliaments - The Goose, The Exits - You've Got Have Money and The Vibrations - I Took An Overdose. And to me at least, they have a very Psychedelic feel to them which is appealing to me as I like a lot of 60s garage and psyc. You can really feel that kind of vibe with the guitar riffs and singing style and way out lyrics in some of those songs.

Just wondering if people could post their favourite psychedelic soul tracks?

Cheers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

name='staceys dad' timestamp='1357419074' post='1883154']

psychedelic soul by Saxxie Russell :thumbsup: would be my fave....sorry but someone else would of done it.... :rolleyes:

Or the other one, not the same tune, just same title

El Pooks - Psychedelic Soul - Orivious Records

https://youtu.be/HDCZbB5XJGU

Social source share

Non- hit groups (& there were 1000's of those) along with their producers & record labels were always seeking out that illusive hit.

The best way most tried to achieve this was by seeing what type of sounds were dominating the current soul 45's chart & making a similar sounding track.

Thus, if a group / solo artist hung about on the recording scene for some years they would put out cuts influenced (at different times) by the likes of the Impressions, Uptown New York cuts, New Orleans influenced stuff, Motown, Stax, James Brown, Funkadelic, Norman Whitfield stuff, Hi / Al Green stuff, Philly International tracks, etc.

Thus an act could (& did) make records that had them sounding like many different artists .... all in a name of trying to secure a hit.

Many acts had a psychedelic sou era but then moved on to 'the next big thing'.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I bought ' I know you don't want me' by the endeavours on the strength of it being labelled

as psych/soul by Steve Clancy and the trip still hasn't worn off yet !!!

Social source share

I bought ' I know you don't want me' by the endeavours on the strength of it being labelled

as psych/soul by Steve Clancy and the trip still hasn't worn off yet !!!

Thought that was funk.

Anyway,psych soul - Thee Midniters "Love special delivery",Ozz & Sperlings - "Can you qualify",Explosiv Dynamics-"Whole lotta lovin".

Social source share

I have compiled a list of 60 or so Psyche Soul/Funk tunes for a future mix..

Here are some of the tracks i am thinking of including in the mix;

Darrow Fletcher - The time is right for love

Ghetto Friendship - Build it up , tear it down

Segments Of Time - song to the siren

Symphonic Four - who do you think you're fooling

Masqueraders - Truth is free

Aggregation - A child is born

Issac Hayes - Walk on by

Edwards Generation - That's how much I love her

Green Berets - Just an ugly rumour

Edited by Mister Fish
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

The b side of the boss four walking by and that thing on edge "do what you gotta do" or whatever is (conteners)very trippy both kind of dub type instumentals of the a sides .Sort of psychadelic.Regards Timothy Leary.

Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

Love the Jocelyn Brown re-mix of this on the rather excellent Nuyorican Soul album By Master At Work (Little Louie Vega).

This George Benson track You Can Do It Baby falls into the same genre if not a little jazzy, check it out, in fact the whole Nuyorican Soul album if full of gems.

This track takes a least a few minutes to get started, but boy does it start when when it gets going, ace track.

Aid.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Street funk or psychedelic Soul I'm not sure - but certainly influenced by Norman Whitfield

Manus

This a 7ts mover which is being played out in the rare soul & underplayed @ the moment only Demo only on Spring

before they moved to Vigor :wink:

Great toooooon :thumbup: :thumbup: something different for the soul scene IMHO!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by soulghost
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'd say this great one from the Parliaments definitely has a psychedelic lean to it, and its a fantastic double sider with the pumping northern of "Don't Be Sore At Me" on the flip.

And of course we have to mention Dee Edwards - Why Can't There Be Love, for that amazing Dennis Coffey fuzz guitar

Social source share

Good thread . Norman Whitfield obviously had a leaning towards it, as did George Clinton, so who influrnced who?

George Clinton influenced Norman Whitfield, who used to come to the Parliaments shows with a portable recorder (according to Billy Bass Nelson -I think it's him- in Wax Poetics).

But to me the Master is Sly Stone.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why is "Sippin' A Cup of Coffee" by The Ordells "Psychadelic Soul"? It sounds like pure mid-sixties Philadelphia sweet Soul to me. Neither the instrumentation nor the lyrics make me think even remotely of any psychedelic association.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Manus

This a 7ts mover which is being played out in the rare soul & underplayed @ the moment only Demo only on Spring

before they moved to Vigor :wink:

Great toooooon :thumbup: :thumbup: something different for the soul scene IMHO!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Yes great tune Kev :thumbsup: - think it's had a few plays over the years and not too expensive either.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Why is "Sippin' A Cup of Coffee" by The Ordells "Psychadelic Soul"? It sounds like pure mid-sixties Philadelphia sweet Soul to me. Neither the instrumentation nor the lyrics make me think even remotely of any psychedelic association.

Must admit, I was thinking the same thing. The Ordells track is one of my all time favourite tunes with an utterly jaw dropping string arrangement and amazing atmosphere, but psychedelic? Not sure about that Steve, may be the eerie twink of a noise on the fade out.

Social source share

Must admit, I was thinking the same thing. The Ordells track is one of my all time favourite tunes with an utterly jaw dropping string arrangement and amazing atmosphere, but psychedelic? Not sure about that Steve, may be the eerie twink of a noise on the fade out.

I see your point so I'll strike that one.

How about these?

Mandells- I can't forget

South Shore Commission- Shadows

Both Sunrise Movement 45's on Ghetto Prods.

Odyssey - No one else (Hi)

Dynamic Tints - Rosemarie

Relatives - Walking on

Halleluih Chorus - I've got to find a way

Vanguards & the Lady - Blue star rising

Ultimate Ovations - hello baby/chameleon man

My children + two - Fly so high

Social source share

I see your point so I'll strike that one.

How about these?

Mandells- I can't forget

South Shore Commission- Shadows

Both Sunrise Movement 45's on Ghetto Prods.

Odyssey - No one else (Hi)

Dynamic Tints - Rosemarie

Relatives - Walking on

Halleluih Chorus - I've got to find a way

Vanguards & the Lady - Blue star rising

Ultimate Ovations - hello baby/chameleon man

My children + two - Fly so high

I wouldn't know to be honest Steve, I'm not a psych expert. I've got the Halleluiah Chorus 45 (superb 45 btw) but again I wouldn't have thought that was a psych tune. Certainly I would agree around the right era and slightly oddball and leftfield compared to most straight soul. May be I don't really know what psychedelic soul is.

Social source share

I wouldn't know to be honest Steve, I'm not a psych expert. I've got the Halleluiah Chorus 45 (superb 45 btw) but again I wouldn't have thought that was a psych tune. Certainly I would agree around the right era and slightly oddball and leftfield compared to most straight soul. May be I don't really know what psychedelic soul is.

Me too!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!