Tax Scam Lp Thread

boba

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Yes but Morris Levy is long since dead :yes: . And anyway the IRS and FBI spent hundreds of hours in his offices pouring over the books. They had a permanent base there when he was "under investigation".

Talking bout the "Mob" BTW has anyone read the MCA book yet?

Social source share

Well the 1st post on the thread was about how Huey P Meaux (the Crazy Cajun) put out a load of soul stuff (LP + 45's) to take advantage of this late 70's US tax scam .... and I replied that the same scheme (tax break reclaim stunt) resulted in all the Emkay label 45 releases in 1979 (Hypnotics, Charles Drain, Otis Williams, Love Set, etc). Think Robb posted as well (as I had a notification that he had commented on a post I'd made ... but can't access his post).

Social source share

Somewhere online there was a discussion and listing of tax scam LPs, I think it was on or connected to Patrick Lundborg's site (the primary author of the Acid Archives book). The AA books also lists tax scam LPs but from rock/psych angle. Also, look for Steve Drake/Kaczorosky(sp?) for a truly bizarre and entertaining story about a tax scam 'performer'.

45s are a rarity though. I don't think the above info has much mention of them.

Nearly 30 years ago I encountered a store/warehouse in New Hampshire that was loaded with the stuff. At the time there was little knowledge or interest so I left it. Oh well...

Social source share

I was trying to delete my post and ended up accidentally deleting the entire topic. That was not my intent, I apologize.

Just curious...

Those behind the scenes allowed to do such things - delete/censor/modify their own involvement/posts at later dates?

sorry - probably best asked/raised in or moved to feedback..?

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Are the Guiness LP's,under the tax scam umbrella.? Sorry just read the link ...... :thumbsup:

And interestingly there's a copyright clause in there,not to reproduce the list without permission !....how does that work. :g:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Yes, the Guiness label was a tax scam job (mafia connections too I recall hearing!). I've got a few on this label;

Formula 1 "Hold on" (couple of nice tracks, especially "Love, love, love" going rate about £100)

Ben E.King "Rebirth" (rehash of some of his earlier releases - very poor) £20

Love People "Sing it again" (awesome sweet soul) £120

Newban & Newban 2 (group that went on to become Atlantic Starr, both LPs are brilliant, at least 1 has been re-issued) £200 & £300

Vilo Perry "Standing room only" (1 tracker, fantastic version of "Uptown lady") £75

Anyone else care to enlighten us on what any other Guinness LPs are like?

In the same vein, I think the TSG label was another tax scam one. I've only got 2 LPs on that one by; 1619 Bad Ass band (great name lol), & a group called Spice.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert