World’S #1 Northern Soul Dj … ?

Not so sure about that Richard, there are plenty that just go to local nights and ask for Paul (W)Anka, Mel Britt and Judy Street, dance about, work up a sweat, have a bit of a social, then go home and get on with the rest of their lives until the next one. Loads not into the record side of it, loads not into hearing anything or seeing anyone new either.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

what i have always liked about butch is, his personality...always comes across in a down to earth manner, time to talk to everyone and as such, applies this trait in the same way to his djing...unpretentious in every sense of the word, but with the unerring ability to string tunes together in an unbroken sequence lending to constant dancefloor participation. he's always done this, no matter where. someone who dosnt naturally crave adulation yet garners so many plaudits from all corners of the globe. richard has a totally hyperactive outlook only calmed when behind the decks, where he is also in his element...the consumate professional, with the midas finger on the pulse of what the punters want. in recent times, the urge is strong to rebuild a superlative playlist and ive always been sure that he's got stuff tucked away for a rainy day, though he never lets on...thats his modesty to the fore.

these two guys are very different in their persona but are less than a breath apart in their mantra of delivering thinking man's chinstroking music. i doubt they have any truck with being cast as the architypal king on the throne, though we, on mass, see them as the big hitters of our time. this is not taking anything away of course, from the many great djs who cast a shadow across our scene week in, week out......without them the world we know would not revolve at 45 rpm...its just quite simply that these two names have implanted on our brains the ethic of understanding how good the music is when its packed with quality and meaning...something that they have repeated over and over again for decades and still do to this day.

Can't add to that, a spot on post.

Social source share

So where does Ian Levine fit in? Lots of new discoveries found by him so he must play a part (here we go again...)

He plays a part historically for the tunes he introduced to the scene all those years ago, but to include his name currently in a list of contenders for #1 DJ in the world at this point (or any point really) is laughable. You need to have consistent immaculate taste for a start, which Searling and Dobson both have and Levine doesn't.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

He plays a part historically for the tunes he introduced to the scene all those years ago, but to include his name currently in a list of contenders for #1 DJ in the world at this point (or any point really) is laughable. You need to have consistent immaculate taste for a start, which Searling and Dobson both have and Levine doesn't.

absolutely right bro, point being that there was also a man behind the man.....named curtis who has immaculate taste and as such, pointed ian in the right direction on countless occasions over the years....who really was the headliner?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

just the usual sales pitch that JM's employs which, imho, I find interesting and humorous at the same time :rofl:

Yep me too, I used also love reading Rudzi's (from Leicester) 'sales banter' on his lists, I've still got them somewhere.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

Not so sure about that Richard, there are plenty that just go to local nights and ask for Paul (W)Anka, Mel Britt and Judy Street, dance about, work up a sweat, have a bit of a social, then go home and get on with the rest of their lives until the next one. Loads not into the record side of it, loads not into hearing anything or seeing anyone new either.

"Stone them to death!" :lol:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

absolutely right bro, point being that there was also a man behind the man.....named curtis who has immaculate taste and as such, pointed ian in the right direction on countless occasions over the years....who really was the headliner?

Levine had to find it first.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Levine had to find it first.

of course you're right pete, alikened to soussan, anderson, koppel etc, levine was like the kid in the proverbial candy shop at the most exciting time, but when it came to "what do you think?"...colin was the catalyst who reaffirmed ian's commitment, ian reliant on colin's judgement.....colin just being ( and still is ) colin, who blazes his own trail. sadly, ians somewhat irrational preoccupation with trying to recreate "the sound" has left him bereft of the identity he had so diligently created all those years ago, a man at the forefront...no-one, however, will ever forget his contribution in the breakthrough of the northern soul phenomenon to a wider, willing young audience who were seeking an escape from mundane life and yes......richard & butch have followed in his path and took the scene further than anyone could have envisaged and in the process, established theirselves as the leading players, respected by all, during the course of which the creativity in their playlists evolved to encorporate the type of tunes ian wanted to foist on us in the 70's. perhaps that was trying to push the boundaries too soon and a good many failed to appreciate that so much so that the scene suffered that fundamental divide which has given for much literary debate over the decades,...only with time and our own maturity, have we come to terms with the necessity to give the crossover element the place it really does deserve within our musical circumference. messrs, searling & dobson have been patient in their deliverence of what is utlimately soulful to a now more appreciative and knowledgeable audience, whereas ian got bored and left a vacuum in which others persevered.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Can't speculate who Manship is referring to but if he had been selling the record in 1975 I would have qualified as the only other person in Europe to own a copy but ,alas , not as the worlds No 1 DJ, more like 101st.

If anyone's interested in the history of the Showstoppers test pressing the early part is that I was given two copies by Irvin Weinroth, owner of Showtime and Partytime after I had leased "Ain't Nothing But a Houseparty" for Global's Cream label. I gave one away and kept the other for a few years then sold it with a load of others to either Rod or Francis T. I think Neil Rushton got either one of these copies or the third one from Irvin when he put it out on Inferno. If I remember correctly both copies I had were slightly warped but not cracked and were vinyl white label pressings with no writing on.

The record shown on a Youtube video of "Gotta get Closer" which claims to be a Partytime demo looks strange to me as Irving said the record had never been issued .

I don't think there would be any more copies as when I had the Cream records pressed the pressing company always sent three test copies. This could be the usually number that all pressing companies would do as standard.

If Manship knows of three copies does anyone know , or have a wild guess, who has the other copy outside Europe.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thing is, it's just a sweeping statement w/out any facts to back it up. Not that Manship meant it to be a solid statement, it's his usual OTT sales talk crap.

you hit the nail on the head' absolutely right

Social source share

IMO, It's a pretty stupid thread - come on, the worlds number 1 northern DJ!

Next we'll be having the best record ever played and the worst record ever played

Again in my opinion, (and agreeing with agent smith earlier), there have been 2 people who through the years have been totally and utterly untouchable when it comes to always playing quality rare danceable soul - and they are butch and Richard searling

Butch has been consistent since I first heard him in the mid 80's (and no doubt before) and although Richard does seem to drift in and out a little, I have no doubt that he probably still has many unknowns etc just waiting to be played

The other person worth a mention in John Anderson, as without him, i doubt if we wouldn't even have this type of forum - he has brought to us the best discoveries imaginable through the years

As I say, all this is only my opinion, and does not take anything away from other that I rate highly who have influenced our scene immensely - keb, guy, dave thorley, robin salter, Ady crosdale, etc. etc.

But I'm afraid it's butch, Richard and John Anderson for me that will go down in the history books as top class indeed

Jim

i agree with you matey 'well said

Social source share

So where does Ian Levine fit in? Lots of new discoveries found by him so he must play a part (here we go again...)

best dj early 70's to late 70's discovered lots great tune with out any help from anybody' very knowledgeable guy and imo his right up there as the past master.

Social source share

best dj early 70's to late 70's discovered lots great tune with out any help from anybody' very knowledgeable guy and imo his right up there as the past master.

Ian Levine has described on many occasions the scene in the Blackpool flat upon returning from Miami with the famous 1973 charity store haul. He, Les Cokell and Colin Curtis more or less divided the records into three piles - hits, misses and maybes. I can't imagine Ian Levine continually deferring to Colin and Les in this matter. He believed in the music as much as they did and evidently fought his corner as only he does on specific records. He was also introducing stuff like Rose Batiste to Rob Bellars at the Wheel in its final year, was he not? I can't imagine him getting some kind of sage's wise nod off Colin before doing so. Regards the topic, Butch is the numero uno without question.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Dicky was always my favourite dj closley followed by sam,always enjoyed fortnums sets latter days but thats my heart talkin.My head says it has to be butch,he doesnt have an anderson just feeding one after the other to him,far more difficult to stay ahead of the game in butchs time than dickys.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Well, I question that. because it's just your opinion, not a fact. Or was there an election I missed?

We're all 'opinioning' here Benji. I wouldn't be as conceited as to present mine as incontestable so you can question them as much as you like, in fact I welcome it, mate. My opinion on Butch is entirely subjective. I like his style, I like his boundary pushing across the different genres, not just Northern Soul, something that all DJs should aspire to, again in my opinion. However, I am aware that one man's meat is another man's poison and that opinions are like colours in that there are a lot of them. ;-)

Social source share

there in the majority imho, vastly in the majority, all the rest of us just perpertrate the fraud.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

To all the dj's out there, It dosent matter but in the title of the Dells on cadet 5631,

MAKE SURE

(you have someone who loves you)

Garry

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Motown re-sings wath a disco beat, Sorry Ian you shot yourself in the foot or should that read head

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

and still using those Hawaii Citronic decks from the hazy days. Pity he didn't save the piano!

He could be doin the circuit as Mrs Mills wi that barnet...

Wow wonder if he'll trade them for my Garrard SP Mk 1 turntables mounted in matching milk crates

Social source share

OMG is this thread still running? :ohmy:

The Manship comment was made in the context of a rare record auction. Not a handbag weekend for three thousand Spencered soulies or a Scooterists Convention on Mudsea Island, or a local soul night playing boots in Grimeythorpe. People bidding on rare records on the JM site know exactly who he is referring to.....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

OMG is this thread still running? :ohmy:

reflects exactly my thoughts when I saw this...

of course most who care to/want to have a sort of ranking in their mind will know that no one is able to be as innovative and fresh as butch on a good day. so if thats what makes a number one than he definitely is, to me anyway. but of course there are hundreds/thousands out there who have other priorities when it comes to what makes a good dj. A certain amount of punters at kings hall or any other similar venue would favour a dj like ginger or kev instead of butch. So really its a very individual thing to say whose number one and depends pretty much on what side of that thing called Northern Soul really tickles your fancies. IMO

But maybe it just that time of the year again for everyone to be part in a "who`s number one" kinda thread. We have them every year. Waiting now for someone to (re-) start the annual "Who is your favourite DJ" - thread. Personally I should get a better position this year seeing I made so many new friends on facebook since then LOL

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Of course this would probably have all been done and dusted if it had said "the world's number one RARE Northern Soul DJ" not "no 1 Northern Soul DJ". There are hundreds of really good Northern Soul DJ's - but how many of them are at the cutting edge of discovering quality new sounds?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

reflects exactly my thoughts when I saw this...

of course most who care to/want to have a sort of ranking in their mind will know that no one is able to be as innovative and fresh as butch on a good day. so if thats what makes a number one than he definitely is, to me anyway. but of course there are hundreds/thousands out there who have other priorities when it comes to what makes a good dj. A certain amount of punters at kings hall or any other similar venue would favour a dj like ginger or kev instead of butch. So really its a very individual thing to say whose number one and depends pretty much on what side of that thing called Northern Soul really tickles your fancies. IMO

But maybe it just that time of the year again for everyone to be part in a "who`s number one" kinda thread. We have them every year. Waiting now for someone to (re-) start the annual "Who is your favourite DJ" - thread. Personally I should get a better position this year seeing I made so many new friends on facebook since then LOL

agree to a point.......what makes butch no1 is he can do what they do all night long.....they can,t do what he does even for an hour.....there's ya answer

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!