Cleaning My Record With Pva Glue

Gerry H

wasn`t sure where to post this but here goes i tryed watered down pva glue first just went deep into the grooves i couldent do nothing with it dryed in i thought i was gonna bin the record totally foockd dried it by the fire while i had a think wtf to do so i got the tub and pasted it on as thick as i could the record was on ebay with a bid on it made things worse this morning after being by the fire and in the warm it was dry just got an edge and peeled it came off the record was nice n shiny so pva is ok see scans not of the record cos it`s packed away ready for post tf

• Helpful 1
Social source share

don't water it down. it's also water soluble so if there are scraps left on use water to get them off. you can also use wood glue, which is much harder than pva glue (e.g. sandable, not water soluble), but it doesn't bond to the vinyl any better than the pva glue (which is good in a sense, it's still removable), so the pva glue is safer.

also, no reason to glue the deadwax and touch the label like that, you risk tearing the label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lengthy and very amusing / helpful pva glue thread that was on here a while ago. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it easy enough

edit: just did a search and there are two threads I think :thumbsup:

I would post the link but every glue word shows up yellow and there are a lot of them :lol:

Edited by jumpinjoan
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Good advice from Bob, no need to go into the run off, it can leave some remnant marking that can be seen under certain light, otherwise great & a very effective way to clean a record, did work for me with positive results, although I only did it once & ended up getting some glue on my turntable matt though, I was never that good at Blue Peter stuff, no big deal though as it just peels off once dry.

Aid.

Social source share

it really doesn't matter that much. some kinds will be easier to peel off and stick together better and some won't. just buy some and test on some garbage records. I still use my turntable btw but I put a cardboard filler pad under the 45. I have a technics 1200 and I take the mat off and push the filler pad through the spindle, then put on a 45 adapter on top of that. Otherwise the 45 adapter tends to slip off (e.g. if there's not much spindle to hold it) and the record goes off center.

Social source share

yes it does, look for a milky tide mark, where the glue was, not recommended. Used to think it was the dogs nads at one bit, then freaked up a Four Sonics with that trick, never again!

I guess MrsWoodsRules agrees with you above. I've done it on about a dozen records but don't use it because I haven't had a case where it adds anything to my existing cleaning so I don't do it regularly. So I probably missed it.

Social source share

I guess MrsWoodsRules agrees with you above. I've done it on about a dozen records but don't use it because I haven't had a case where it adds anything to my existing cleaning so I don't do it regularly. So I probably missed it.

So, let me get this straight:

(1) it doesn't do any better than cleaning a record using recognised methods - decent cloth, decent fluid and/or soapy warm water

(2) there is a concensus that it may well leave a milky residue behind diminishing a record's grading

(3) the people on here that have tried this glue method have only done so a limited, small number of times with the results quoted in (1) and (2)

My question therefore is this - what is the point and why bother? :g: Or am I being thick and missing something blindingly obvious about the benefits of plastering glue all over a record? :huh:

Social source share

I've used the glue method loads of times on records with values high and low and have found it to be an exceptionally effective means of cleaning 45s. I've never had a problem with milky residue. In fact, I've never seen this at all. Perhaps those that have had it aren't using a high enough quality glue, but that's just an uninformed guess on my part. I can say though that I'm using industrial grade glue (as my partner works with the stuff and quite literally has a gallon of the stuff in her workshop).

If I think a 45 needs cleaning, I'll always use a washing up sponge and warm soapy water first. If the record still sounds dirty, then I'll use the glue treatment. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Here you go... The stuff I'm using is Bison Professional Wood Glue. My partner Bev buys it by the 10kg bucket (pictured), which is about 70 euros, and as mentioned, I fill up a washing up bottle with the stuff and that lasts absolutely ages.

post-9478-0-73019700-1357133574_thumb.pn

Here's a link to the product page on the company's website:

https://www.bison.net...ood-glue-extra/

Social source share

jhsoul, I think titebond 2 is a wood glue. Can you try using something similar to the White Elmers Glue that everyone knows, don't know what the equivalent is in the UK? I'm guessing it won't leave any stain.

When people say PVA cleaning they are usually talking about a wood glue, titebond is the recommended brand in most audio forums, which is basically PVA so should be no different :) its personal choice Bob, but I think people need to know what might happen...

Edited by Jhsoulnotts
Social source share

Crazyness, why bother in the first place? If you are looking for a cheap easy and successful way of cleaning vinyl with no risk attached:

a 1:10 mix of isopropol alcohol, deionised water and a touch of antibacterial handwash will make a nice vinyl cleaner (Maplins and Wilkos in the UK works out £1 a ltr)

1. Apply to the record,
  2. Clean with a clean toothbrush (two for 19p from ASDA) getting into all the grooves
  3. and mop up/buff with a kitchen towel/microfibre cloth.
  4. Repeat on really grubby vinyl

Takes 5 mins, costs less and makes a better job than PVA

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!