'where The Action Is' Us Tv Show

Roburt

Came across some clips of this old American TV music show online ....

Loads of crap acts , old TV show clips & adverts + some naff dancing BUT also some decent soul acts were on there as guests.

........... here's a listing of just a few of them ..............

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 229

July 29, 1966: Kim Weston "Helpless" & "Take Me In Your Arms"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 231

Bobby Moore and Rhthym Ace "We've Got That" & "Searching For My Love."

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 232

Shades of Blue "Lonely Summer" & "Oh, How Happy"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 233

Marvin Gaye "Take This Heart of Mine"; Martha and the Vandellas "Dancing in the Street"; Chris Clark "Don't Be Too Long"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 234

The Drifters "Memories Are Made of This"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 236

The Temptations "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" & "My Girl"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 237

The Four Tops "Something About You" & "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever"

The Young Rascals "You Better Run" and "Good Lovin'"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 238

James Brown "Out of Sight" & "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 245

The Five Stairsteps "World of Fantasy" & "You've Waited Too Long"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 247

Jimmy Hughes "Neighbor, Neighbor" & "Don't Walk On Me"

Where The Action Is — Season 2; Episode 252

August 31, 1966: The Temptations "Get Ready" & "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep."

How many of the old shows still exist & have the soul clips been grouped together and put out on DVD ??

A couple of clips .............

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Some astounding clips from The!!1 Beat on Youtube, well worth watching.

The!!!!Beat is the best TV show I've ever seen, most of the performances were live !

Bear Family released 6 DVD's of this great program : https://www.offbeat.c...ly-records-dvd/

Roburt, you can get some dvd's (bootlegs) of "Where The Action Is" on this link : https://www.ioffer.co...e the action is

Edited by Philippe
Social source share

'Where The Action Is' was another Dick Clark show. Steve Alaimo helped Dick out on a live presentation he put on early in his show promotion career & so Clark always owed Alaimo a debt.

Because of this, when 'Where The Action Is' was broadcast, Alaimo was given a presenting role on the show. So got to perform most weeks for a large national TV audience, this did his recording career no harm at all.

Steve Alaimo was the guy responsible for starting Sam & Dave out as a recording act. He had moved down to Miami and there began performing with his group, the Redcoats. One night their show was witnessed by Henry Stone who signed him to a record deal with his Marlin Record label (1959). A 45 was released but Alaimo went solo and then went on to sign with Checker Records. He had a number of hits with the label. He performed a lot around Miami, both in white & black clubs.

While he was performing at the King of Hearts in the city, he watched the house act, Sam & Dave, perform. Alaimo went straight to the club’s owner and negotiated a deal to record the act. The owner of the club allowed this with the one stipulation that Henry Stone not be involved, so Alaimo lied and began recording Sam & Dave’s debut batch of singles with Henry’s facilities. Initially, the single “My Love Belongs to You” (with the Alaimo penned “No More Pain” on the B side) was released by Marlin Records, but then Stone placed a call to Morris Levy, and Sam & Dave were signed to Levy’s Roulette Records.

Alaimo landed more recording deals and had 45's / LP's out on a few national labels, one of these being Atlantic. He retained his links with Henry Stone & cut a duet with Betty Wright that was issued on an Atlantic 45.

Early on (around 1960) Henry Stone had given Alaimo a promotional job with his label / distribution company and the pairing continued to collaborate. With Brad Shapiro, Alaimo operated a record studio. In the 70's, Stone & Alaimo started Alston Records together.

More of him on 'Where The Action Is' ............ with Jackie DeShannon on this clip ....

post-22122-0-60988400-1356474993_thumb.j

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!