Are Youngsters Coming Through?

Orotava

Honestly I'm not picking on you but can't help but say this, All the old brigade of the dj world have been in the scene for years and have bought sold traded scrimped and scraped to get a collection for ???? Years, with that they have gained knowledge, experience know how all the things top djs need and have, why can't the youngsters do the same and slowly build their collections and in 5 to 10 years can hold their own and in 40 years time they can be at the top if that's what they want, Why do they have to have all the top tunes right now, we all want them but we can't all afford them and if we could afford them we probably still could buy them. What is the thing that they want to dj now but can't just cos they can't afford the big money tunes, like everything in life if you can't afford it you can't have it but kids being kids today they want it all cos they in general always get what they want. Tell them to do the apprenticeship and learn their trade then their time will come, tell them to get a better paid job if they want a Ferrari on a Lada wage cos you get out of life what you put into it, there will always be wealthier people that's why a pauper like me buys lottery tickets lolol

Aaaaaaaaaaaafeckinmen sir .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And we are back to what started this, why do they need the odd re-release, boot or pressing? Why not make a name for themselves playing something different, they are out there, very easy to locate and often cheaper than many boots nowadays. Why does anyone want to DJ with a boot of an already established record? This is all about revitalising the scene, young DJ's with fresh sounds and a different outlook on everything, not carrying on with the same old same :rolleyes:I would be more inclined to employ a youngster who showed some imagination and brought something different to the table not offered up what every other Tom, Dick and Harriet is already offering.

thats my point young people and women have a different take on things , we just seem to be stuck in a vicious circle where old men dominate the scene overwhelmingly.

Edited by barney
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

in no have I said they should be allowed to play a box of boots but have said some young people have limited means and collections but want to dj , how do we help them .

I see you are stuck on the money aspect of the whole thing. Obviously I can only speak for my venue but i'm afraid if someone sends me a cd for a spot and it is the top 50 R&B smashes they will never play for me as long as my arsehole points south .... i can get 20 guys to do that.

What i want as a promoter is THEM, their personality in their set, a feeling for THEM and i'm afraid no amount of money is gonna help you there... for that you need a feeling and an unshakable belief in the records you play whether that be 50p or £500.

To paraphrase , money Dj's ain't shit to me

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

whats the solution then

how do we break the old boy cycle and get more women and youngsters dj,ing because if we dont the scene is going to die sooner rather than later,

I go out every w/end and travel ,attend mainly classic oldies but some atb venues and its the same old blokes playing the same old records with a few exceptions , many of these venues are well attended but its getting a bit jaded as far as Im concerned and believe its time we gave women and youngsters a throw of the dice .

So you are saying it's the promoters who should change there successful way of running a night to cater for your change in perspective of how a night is formulated?Wouldn't it be better for you to pick & choose your night's a little more selectively & actually find those night's that are slightly different...........think you'll be pleasantly surprised as these are usually the venues that give different dj's a chance irrelevant of gender or age.So maybe your view of the scene is partly your own fault for thinking everything is jaded like the night's you choose to frequent,hence the reason some have taken exception to some of your comments because it's not quiet right the view you have & they see things you don't?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I see you are stuck on the money aspect of the whole thing. Obviously I can only speak for my venue but i'm afraid if someone sends me a cd for a spot and it is the top 50 R&B smashes they will never play for me as long as my arsehole points south .... i can get 20 guys to do that.

What i want as a promoter is THEM, their personality in their set, a feeling for THEM and i'm afraid no amount of money is gonna help you there... for that you need a feeling and an unshakable belief in the records you play whether that be 50p or £500.

To paraphrase , money Dj's ain't shit to me

would like to think this is the case throughout the land but we all know it isnt . its the mates merrygoround in most instances , and the never ending circle of records . young people may not have the means or depth of collections but they more than make up for this with enthusiasm and as shown on here a passion for the scene , we were young once and we had loads of young dj,s back then , to say we had the genuine articles back then and only played originals would be a lie , so lets get off our high horses and ask ourselves are we doing enough to encourage young people and women to participate

Social source share

got to agree up to a point terry there arent many asians on the scene, but there are loads of women on the scene roughly 50 50 I would dare to suggest , and if we were to judge it by who takes the money on the doors then it would be a different answer,

ps was at the spire the other nite Ian G played a blinder as per and had a great night

Hi Barney,

I think its more down to the fact that most women don't give a shit about what the label is as long as it sounds good. No being disparaging about women just an observation. My wife has been going to do's since the mid to late 70's and she still asks me to ask the DJ for 'Something I like !!' Note, I say MOST WOMEN, there are some out there that do care but as a ratio to men ..... Yes, got to agree with the Door thing. They always seem to get the shitty end of the stick. They take the money, probably do a lot behind the scenes but the Boys get the Pat on the Back ( Quite right too, know your place Lol !! ) Round of applause please for all the Girls that put in the hours XXX

Back in the early days it used to amaze me how few Black people frequented Soul do's and today, as I said, very few Asians, a bit like Football - but that's for another thread !!

Thanks for the plaudits, Ian always delivers. Not got one now til March ( double booked us with some bloody Dance Class !! )

Take care - Happy New Year XXX

Social source share

whats the solution then

how do we break the old boy cycle and get more women and youngsters dj,ing because if we dont the scene is going to die sooner rather than later,

I go out every w/end and travel ,attend mainly classic oldies but some atb venues and its the same old blokes playing the same old records with a few exceptions , many of these venues are well attended but its getting a bit jaded as far as Im concerned and believe its time we gave women and youngsters a throw of the dice .

If they have the records and they want to dj then make some CDs up give them to promoters and beg for dj spots even if only the first spot and they can then gain experience and confidence and if they are good then hopefully promoters will give them dj spots.

All you have to do when you go out to a venue is look around and see how many djs there are there not djn work out all the venues on week in week out and add all them working djs to the non working djs and you will see where the problem lies. Too many djs far too many and many kin crap but because they can't get dj spots they start their own up and like you Said in another post all slap each others backs and it becomes a closed shop. Everyone thinks there venue is best and is different from another when it truth 80% are all the same. What will happen is when these frustrated women and youngsters can't get dj spots they will then put their own night on and that there is the problem. Everyone wants to dj hence so many nights on,

My solution is I ain't got a clue to the answer the scene is driven by egotistic djs who think there tunes are better than the rest or they wanna make a few quid. There are some great nights/nighters up and down the country we all have our own favourites so what you and I may think are the best others will not they have their own favourites.

Like I said tell the women and youngsters to be patient and build collections and knowledge and experience and their time will come if. That's what they really want to do.

Social source share

a good friend of mine has recentley started dj,ing and was a resident at a local soul night , at first she just filled in the early spot . she struggled to add to her collection her husband is disabled and cant work she is only part time so money is tight , anyway the promoters asked her to dj the later spots and she reluctantly decided to do so, on her first main spot she played a boot and was hammered for this , but she had been asked to play it by a friend and she did state it wasnt a genuine record , but hey ho the third wiorld war kicked off she even got a barely concealed mention on here by a well known promoter, this shook her confidence somewhat but it made her more determined to play originals and she has scrimped and saved to aquire a decent set . which is fair enough but she is a determined woman and can easily see especially by some of the attitudes on here that women or youngsters can easily be put off.

And good bloody luck to her too I know what it's like to find money to buy tunes ;-)

Social source share

I keep joking (well sort of) that's it's a rich mans game these days and I'm the poor kid sat at the back stinking of p*ss :lol:

Seriously though, it's not just about the money it takes a lot of years to build a good grasp of the scene, the music, knowledge and a collection. Plus all these put together are nothing without experience. I just don't understand what the rush is? Why not just sit back and enjoy the ride, it's good fun being a punter I wouldn't want to be anything else!

Well put that lady :wicked: :wicked:

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I keep joking (well sort of) that's it's a rich mans game these days and I'm the poor kid sat at the back stinking of p*ss :lol:

haha,remember this conversation from boxing night,that poor kid had the dancefloor rocking,from where I was sat,they don't have to cost a fortune to be good.
Social source share

Seriously though, it's not just about the money it takes a lot of years to build a good grasp of the scene, the music, knowledge and a collection. Plus all these put together are nothing without experience. I just don't understand what the rush is? Why not just sit back and enjoy the ride, it's good fun being a punter I wouldn't want to be anything else!

ok so my friend who has just started dj,ing has been on the scene a long time as a punter and has amassed a decent collection with limited means and she is happy doing what she does quietly and without fuss a resident at one venue and the odd slot at others . but we all know what it is like to be young and patience dont come into it , and if we were to accept what some are saying then a long apprenticeship before you are even allowed to carry someones box is a requirement then dont be surprised if the youngsters go away because they aint going to wait till they are old to dj

Social source share

Your not alone Joan I have to wear nappies lolol

Social source share

Don't tempt me Bearsy :lol: Its called "youngsters coming through" not "following through".

Always been a problem Kev I use more vanish now than ever lolol

Happy New Year everyone and remember age is just a thing it's what's in your mind that counts and I'm mentally 19 :-)

Social source share

Jeeeeeeezzzz!!!

As the OP putting down my first post I`m amazed the debate has taken the twists & turns that it has!

My take on things:

1/ It seems as if the scene is in reasonable shape.

2/ I can`t wait to attend my first event for 30 years, make new friends, hear or rehear great old and new sounds, get that feeling of belonging etc.

3/ I`m going to carry on collecting originals that I can afford

4/ There are some brilliant and knowledgeable members on this website

5/ Happy New Year to everyone and hope 2013 brings all that you`re looking for

Best wishes,

Pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jeeeeeeezzzz!!!

As the OP putting down my first post I`m amazed the debate has taken the twists & turns that it has!

Best wishes,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Welcome back to the scene and to soul source.

I think you will soon realise that a topic rarely follows the path the topic title suggests, they tend to go off at a tangent all the time.

Get stuck in and enjoy :D

All the best for 2013.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now, Utter Rubbish. There's 100's and 100's of records as cheap if not cheaper than a pressing. Jock Mitchell boot recently sold for £110. You could buy most of Tyrone Davis back catalogue for that. You can certainly buy 11 records at a tenner each more than good enough for a northern soul venue. It's lazy collecting and a sorry excuse for collecting and playing pressings.

What he was saying is absolutely not utter rubbish Chalky it's the truth, back in the 70's only a handful of people had the originals which is why pressings were made available and that was why they sold in their thousands. It was the only way to get the records, and of course, nobody gave a toss back then because as soon as a record was pressed, it's value dropped to next to nothing anyway. I'm not talking about now when it's easy to get records, I'm talking about the mid 70's.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What he was saying is absolutely not utter rubbish Chalky it's the truth, back in the 70's only a handful of people had the originals which is why pressings were made available and that was why they sold in their thousands. It was the only way to get the records, and of course, nobody gave a toss back then because as soon as a record was pressed, it's value dropped to next to nothing anyway. I'm not talking about now when it's easy to get records, I'm talking about the mid 70's.

That might be true of the biggies Pete but there was plenty of good originals out there for a quid, two quid etc, you only have to look at Soul Bowl lists. The same in the 80's, many buggies were bought for a pittance before they became big, there's still quality records out there that are neglected in favour of safe wigan oldies.

Anyway as I said before let the youngsters do their own thing, quite a few clubs run by youngsters getting noticed and doing well without the old uns interfering.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That might be true of the biggies Pete but there was plenty of good originals out there for a quid, two quid etc, you only have to look at Soul Bowl lists. The same in the 80's, many buggies were bought for a pittance before they became big, there's still quality records out there that are neglected in favour of safe wigan oldies.

Anyway as I said before let the youngsters do their own thing, quite a few clubs run by youngsters getting noticed and doing well without the old uns interfering.

I can see both sides of this argument mate I could have bought the Parliaments - Heart Trouble for 50p off Rob Smith in 1978 but didn't, bought loads of pressing from Sid booths in Mansfield though for 85p during those years.

It was just what we did as naive teenagers :huh:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hello I think it's great that the young ones are coming through, I'm 23 and been into northern soul since I was little girl, I've been brought up on the music and now attend nights out and do a bit of dj ING, I don't see many youngsters out and about but would be great to see them, as it's us who could carry the legacy on :D as I said I collect records and can honestly say hand on heart I LOVE northern soul...................... It's my passion and always will be and I hope one day ill be a well known dj as I enjoy playing to crowds and know they are enjoying them selves as much as I am xxx

nice posting Natalie ,
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Thankyou, I played at a place called goodyears in wolverhampton on the 23rd december it was rammed and at 12.30 the floor was rammed and I did that!! Lil me playing my tunes and I felt great!! :D too see they was enjoying them selves but I think more young people should come on to the scene

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thankyou, I played at a place called goodyears in wolverhampton on the 23rd december it was rammed and at 12.30 the floor was rammed and I did that!! Lil me playing my tunes and I felt great!! :D too see they was enjoying them selves but I think more young people should come on to the scene

That's great Natalie :thumbsup: - what kind of stuff did you play?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Hi Natalie, There is no need to say thankyou, in your posting I can see your hearts desire. You are a great inspiration to the young ones, keep up the good work, keep on keeping on.billy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That's great Natalie :thumbsup: - what kind of stuff did you play?

Cheers

Richard

Well I double decked so didn't play a full set on my own,but I played 60s up tempo

Wilson Pickett - let me be your boy

Gene chandler - Mr big shot

Thelma lindsey - prepared to love you

Johnny sales - I can't get enough

Salvador - stick by me baby

Tomangoes - I really love you

Freddie chavez- they'll never know why

Precision - if this is love

But I had the best time in my life can't wait to do it again

Nat x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well I double decked so didn't play a full set on my own,but I played 60s up tempo

Nat x

Hi Natalie

Well they are all top class sounds - all favourites of mine - you have great taste in soul sounds :thumbsup:

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Natalie, There is no need to say thankyou, in your posting I can see your hearts desire. You are a great inspiration to the young ones, keep up the good work, keep on keeping on.billy

Hi, I do have to say Thankyou for keeping the music alive, and holding these events and with out the music I wouldn't Be doing my Lil thing on that stage :) x

Social source share

Just imagine being a teenager again and hearing these tracks for the first time.... :)

Nice choices, Nat. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hello I think it's great that the young ones are coming through, I'm 23 and been into northern soul since I was little girl, I've been brought up on the music and now attend nights out and do a bit of dj ING, I don't see many youngsters out and about but would be great to see them, as it's us who could carry the legacy on :D as I said I collect records and can honestly say hand on heart I LOVE northern soul...................... It's my passion and always will be and I hope one day ill be a well known dj as I enjoy playing to crowds and know they are enjoying them selves as much as I am xxx

Natelie , you and your type ARE the future . I can almost feel the passion in your writing. I have just read a post by you containing a playlist . Firstly can I say fantastic choons that provoke fantastic memories . I do hope you and others like you spread your net wider , there is so much out there to spin .

This next comment is NOT meant to be a dig at any up-and-coming youngsters , but maybe you should be looking at what is being played on the continent , the way they mix 60's , 70's , old and new . IMHO it's the way forward . Nat , just keep getting behind those decks and it will come .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Natelie , you and your type ARE the future . I can almost feel the passion in your writing. I have just read a post by you containing a playlist . Firstly can I say fantastic choons that provoke fantastic memories . I do hope you and others like you spread your net wider , there is so much out there to spin .

This next comment is NOT meant to be a dig at any up-and-coming youngsters , but maybe you should be looking at what is being played on the continent , the way they mix 60's , 70's , old and new . IMHO it's the way forward . Nat , just keep getting behind those decks and it will come .

Trouble is I think Natalie would find it hard to introduce anything new or different somewhere like Goodyears. Maybe she needs to find a bunch of youngsters in the West Midland and run their own club?

Anyway good to see the enthusiasm Natalie has.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Trouble is I think Natalie would find it hard to introduce anything new or different somewhere like Goodyears. Maybe she needs to find a bunch of youngsters in the West Midland and run their own club?

It's hard to find youngsters for a start at the places I attend :( I've thought about doing my own but I would be the only young one lololol but hopefully fingers crossed I'll get there one day and maybe I'll meet more youngsters on the journey,

Nat x

Social source share

well it asking a lot for a young woman who probably goes out with her family (am assuming this ) to find some likeminded young people then find a venue , sound system etc when she already goes to established events ,

what we need to be doing is encouraging her and her friends to events and making them welcome .

and definately not going over and piking at the record playing to see if its OVo :yes:

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thankyou I like to play to the crowd if I can, I always listen to what's being played but I can honestly say I don't like the modern I'm a 60's northern soul type lol I LOVE the music, it's a part of my life and always will be.................

Nat x

Social source share

well it asking a lot for a young woman who probably goes out with her family (am assuming this ) to find some likeminded young people then find a venue , sound system etc when she already goes to established events ,

what we need to be doing is encouraging her and her friends to events and making them welcome .

and definately not going over and piking at the record playing to see if its OVo :yes:

I go out on my own to be honest with you, lol my friends don't even know what the music is lol but when I go to these established events I'm more than welcome, they have even give me the opportunity to play on that stage which I am very grateful for,

Nat x

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've still got some of the old soul bowl lists in a box upstairs, i still use them as a buying refrence lol :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No one mentioned OVO, going over to the decks to see if what she is playing is a real un or anything else until you piped up.

It was suggested she tries to move away from the same old same and I replied not at Goodyears...nor the majority of places in the West Midlands. If she is enjoying that then fine, not a problem to me, I wouldn't stop or discourage anyone from doing what they enjoy.

I do encourage youngsters, they are more than welcome at Lifeline All-nighter which is in Natalie's neck of the woods. We are also looking for youngsters with a refreshing outlook but to be honest she wouldn't stand a chance DJing there with that playlist, that isn't a criticism of Natalie it is just not what Lifeline is about.

Social source share

No one mentioned OVO, going over to the decks to see if what she is playing is a real un or anything else until you piped up.

It was suggested she tries to move away from the same old same and I replied not at Goodyears...nor the majority of places in the West Midlands. If she is enjoying that then fine, not a problem to me, I wouldn't stop or discourage anyone from doing what they enjoy.

I do encourage youngsters, they are more than welcome at Lifeline All-nighter which is in Natalie's neck of the woods. We are also looking for youngsters with a refreshing outlook but to be honest she wouldn't stand a chance DJing there with that playlist, that isn't a criticism of Natalie it is just not what Lifeline is about.

thanks for the honesty, but i no what lifeline is about, but im happy in what im doing and one day i will get there no matter what, ive just started off so this is a new journey,

i always say if the crowd am happy and dancing = success :D

and when you get clapped and cheered you know you have done a good job

nat x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

thanks for the honesty, but i no what lifeline is about, but im happy in what im doing and one day i will get there no matter what, ive just started off so this is a new journey,

i always say if the crowd am happy and dancing = success :D

and when you get clapped and cheered you know you have done a good job

nat x

At the end of the day Nat enjoying it is what it is all about and there's nothing better than seeing others enjoy what you are doing.

You are more than welcome at Lifeline, come and say hello if you do.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

At the end of the day Nat enjoying it is what it is all about and there's nothing better than seeing others enjoy what you are doing.

You are more than welcome at Lifeline, come and say hello if you do.

thankyou :D well they done a lifeline not so long ago up Brookfields i was going to attend but didnt in the end but when the next one is on ill come in and say hello :thumbup:

Social source share

Why not? Ok,off topic,but 50% of the scene at least is built on OVO. Are we to look down on folks who are interested in labels now......?

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Why not? Ok,off topic,but 50% of the scene at least is built on OVO. Are we to look down on folks who are interested in labels now......?

would guess a lot more than 50% is OVO ,

the comment wasnt about labels or collectors it was about the know alls and soul police. see it all the time someone plays a record and certain people at certain venues immediatley pop up and check the deck to see if its a boot . know of a well known dj who has got the records but played a boot and was given a fine taken off his fee for doing so .

Social source share