Are Youngsters Coming Through?

Orotava

There is nothing I like to see more than the young ones who are completely ignoring the music being force fed to the youth of today through the money focused commercial radio stations, and following their own instincts and tastes to listen to Northern Soul.

I am always pleased to see the younger ones at the 'Leeds Central' alldayers, and always try to capture them in the photos that are taken.

Remember that once us older ones were once the younger ones too, and we are carrying on the scene from those that have left us, the young ones coming onto the scene now will do the same when we are gone too.

Edited by Steve Luigi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If there are no new 'collectors' then sooner or later the 'value' of these records will fall (simply supply & demand). when the time comes can all you 'collectors' just make sure they fall into the hands of someone who realises they are not replaceable - it would be good to think that even if the scene dies for a few decades that the opportunity is still there for it to be re-discovered (in 30, 50 or whatever years....) along with the ov.

i think the growth in international collecting may offset the deminishing uk collecting scene, to some extent.

Social source share

Whenever I have had the privilege to DJ abroad I always wonder why we can't we have this in England and the simple fact is that in England everyone wants to be a DJ and a promoter, hence there being thousands of nights on per year. I wouldn't mind but the nights usually don't offer anything different and really struggle for numbers. It's again that topic of mates running nights to DJ and DJ at thier mates' clubs blah blah blah. The nights in England are usually run in 2nd rate venues, with the odd exception of course. People who have been to the Boiler club in Barcelona or The Lido in Berlin, to name a few, will know what I mean...amazing venues, proper clubs! How many clubs can get 300 & 400 people on a regular basis in England..none!

Manchester seems to be pretty good at the minute, with a few like minded young soulies putting nights on and digging the music. I'll have to get along to a night soon! However, I think London is the place to be. Some top collections, DJs and sharp dressers too. It's not important to some folk on here, but it makes a difference to me and probably to younger folk getting into it. Some might not agree, but if you look up and see an old bloke in a vest and baggies (maybe a bit extreme) DJ-ing or a sharp dessed DJ playing the same tune, which is going to be more inspiring, cool and going to make you want to drag your mates along...I know what I would be thinking! Nights in London seem to attract a mixture of people not just soulies or mods, which IMO makes the nights more interesting. You might get one or two knobheads but if you have a decent venue, a quick nod to the bouncer and that usually sorts it!

Back to the thread, there seems to be younger people coming through, but no where near the numbers of the 70s when all you rascals were running riot. Soul music will always be around and I think it will do do a full circle in time...the ony bad thing is I'll be about 65 when that happens lol + I think that rare records will always hold their value!

Here's to 2013 which IMO will be an exciting one with the return of The Pow Wow Club All-nighter (shameful plug I know!)...watch this space.

Callum

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

Whenever I have had the privilege to DJ abroad I always wonder why we can't we have this in England and the simple fact is that in England everyone wants to be a DJ and a promoter, hence there being thousands of nights on per year. I wouldn't mind but the nights usually don't offer anything different and really struggle for numbers. It's again that topic of mates running nights to DJ and DJ at thier mates' clubs blah blah blah. The nights in England are usually run in 2nd rate venues, with the odd exception of course. People who have been to the Boiler club in Barcelona or The Lido in Berlin, to name a few, will know what I mean...amazing venues, proper clubs! How many clubs can get 300 & 400 people on a regular basis in England..none!

Manchester seems to be pretty good at the minute, with a few like minded young soulies putting nights on and digging the music. I'll have to get along to a night soon! However, I think London is the place to be. Some top collections, DJs and sharp dressers too. It's not important to some folk on here, but it makes a difference to me and probably to younger folk getting into it. Some might not agree, but if you look up and see an old bloke in a vest and baggies (maybe a bit extreme) DJ-ing or a sharp dessed DJ playing the same tune, which is going to be more inspiring, cool and going to make you want to drag your mates along...I know what I would be thinking! Nights in London seem to attract a mixture of people not just soulies or mods, which IMO makes the nights more interesting. You might get one or two knobheads but if you have a decent venue, a quick nod to the bouncer and that usually sorts it!

Back to the thread, there seems to be younger people coming through, but no where near the numbers of the 70s when all you rascals were running riot. Soul music will always be around and I think it will do do a full circle in time...the ony bad thing is I'll be about 65 when that happens lol + I think that rare records will always hold their value!

Here's to 2013 which IMO will be an exciting one with the return of The Pow Wow Club All-nighter (shameful plug I know!)...watch this space.

Callum

Ever been to the Ritz at Brighouse,massive venue,full every month,400,500 people,Drax and Eggborough standing room only,250,300 capacity,thats every month. your right about some 2nd rate venues though ,been to some real grotty places,roof leaking,plaster coming off the walls etc.
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Think you need to get out more callum quite a few very busy nw events that are always full both oldies and rare soul clubs and niters.Most run in 2nd rate venues ,again get out a bit more.If its the younger end your looking for i seriously doubt london is the place to be,manchester and the wigan area both very well supported by the younger end.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Think you need to get out more callum quite a few very busy nw events that are always full both oldies and rare soul clubs and niters.Most run in 2nd rate venues ,again get out a bit more.If its the younger end your looking for i seriously doubt london is the place to be,manchester and the wigan area both very well supported by the younger end.Then again if its the sharp dressers you are lookin for london has always been a fashion driven faddy type of place.

Social source share

I live in Cheltenham and it seems there are quite a few options to go along to Soul nights, which I`m going to do.

Plenty of regular Soul nights in Cheltenham and Gloucester...and GLR has the ex-Yate DJs, Hippo and Dave Thorley on the air, so tune in when you can!

post-9555-0-69153500-1356704887.jpg

Social source share

Think you need to get out more callum quite a few very busy nw events that are always full both oldies and rare soul clubs and niters.Most run in 2nd rate venues ,again get out a bit more.If its the younger end your looking for i seriously doubt london is the place to be,manchester and the wigan area both very well supported by the younger end.

Not into out and out oldies nights but would be interested to know which rare soul niters are packed out in the NW? I live in Manchester but if I am honest I don't get out as much as I used to as now because I'd rather save my money for a night that is worth it. London on NYE will be awesome, RnB room and Va Va Voom room both packed, mixed crowd, excellent venues and top records. Give me that over a 2nd rate full on northern oldies night any day of the week. If I was in Manchester at NY, different strokes vs No Way Out would be my choice!

When you starting Middleton back up?

Callum

Social source share

old news for some I understand, but the OP is returning to the scene Dave!

Sorry, wasn't meaning that John, you said, 'The Japanese and Chinese scenes are young affluent and buying up most of the rare stuff they can find.'...my thrust was that your points are not exactly true with regards to the Japanese scene/collectors...and that I was curious to learn of Chinese collectors...are there clubs/a scene for Northern there?

:g:

Social source share

Whenever I have had the privilege to DJ abroad I always wonder why we can't we have this in England and the simple fact is that in England everyone wants to be a DJ and a promoter, hence there being thousands of nights on per year.

Callum

I agree with you on the amount of venues and the quality Callum but what you say isn't the only reason. The scene in Europe is still pretty young and doesn't have the Torch, Wigan, Stafford today's scene baggage that we have over here. If we had a mixture from the beginning to now it would be a much better scene and pretty comparable to what is on offer abroad, over there it is just soul music from the last 40 plus years to choose from. Instead the majority of nights here are Wigan oldies nights and the music reflects that period, particularly in certain areas of the country.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sorry, wasn't meaning that John, you said, 'The Japanese and Chinese scenes are young affluent and buying up most of the rare stuff they can find.'...my thrust was that your points are not exactly true with regards to the Japanese scene/collectors...and that I was curious to learn of Chinese collectors...are there clubs/a scene for Northern there?

:g:

Oh Ok, sorry Dave... the internet is a cold medium... without pulling the thread off topic... I only really have a direct experience of visiting Hong Kong, which has some nice nights and some nice clubs with a knowledgeable crowd, and the rest I was going on what I had read on here, rumours of high prices paid at manships auctions, tales of diggers meeting Japanese collectors in the US, youtube videos and Keb Darges interviews/video DJing in Japan... However, japan-wise you would probably know better than me! :thumbsup:

Edited by Jhsoulnotts
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Not into out and out oldies nights but would be interested to know which rare soul niters are packed out in the NW? I live in Manchester but if I am honest I don't get out as much as I used to as now because I'd rather save my money for a night that is worth it. London on NYE will be awesome, RnB room and Va Va Voom room both packed, mixed crowd, excellent venues and top records. Give me that over a 2nd rate full on northern oldies night any day of the week. If I was in Manchester at NY, different strokes vs No Way Out would be my choice!

Callum

Callum

Bolton niter doing very well burnley niter the same ,i belive radcliffe still going well nq live just about to take off all have very busy or are rare rooms.Lets not kid ourselves no rare niter at the moment is going to do it as a stand alone venue anywere at the moment.As for your original comment about vest wareing djs aint seen any at burscough or heywood,doubt theres any at con soul or lowton either.I would take any bet you like there are more top collections at these venues than you will find in trendy london,not that there arent some great southern jocks.Funny you should mention middleton new venue booked for 7 dates in 2013,more latter not the right place.Lots of busy rare soul clubs in and around manchester,and they would be even busier if people supported rather than talked about rare soul clubs.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Bolton niter doing very well burnley niter the same ,i belive radcliffe still going well nq live just about to take off all have very busy or are rare rooms.Lets not kid ourselves no rare niter at the moment is going to do it as a stand alone venue anywere at the moment.As for your original comment about vest wareing djs aint seen any at burscough or heywood,doubt theres any at con soul or lowton either.I would take any bet you like there are more top collections at these venues than you will find in trendy london,not that there arent some great southern jocks.Funny you should mention middleton new venue booked for 7 dates in 2013,more latter not the right place.Lots of busy rare soul clubs in and around manchester,and they would be even busier if people supported rather than talked about rare soul clubs.

All though we like the same music we are obviously have different opinions on what makes a quality night listening to some of the finest music ever.

As for vest wearing DJ's I did say bit extreme, the point I was making and thinking about the thread, is that I think if more younger DJ's were behind the decks, then maybe it would inspire and give some confidence to young people to get involved both attending nights and buying OV records?

Your comment about record collections...having a good collection doesn't make you a good DJ, I would also put money on a few lads both down south and up north who could give any major collector a run for their money!

Looking forward to Middleton and I will get along to a few more nights/niters in the NW in 2013.

Callum

Social source share

I agree with you on the amount of venues and the quality Callum but what you say isn't the only reason. The scene in Europe is still pretty young and doesn't have the Torch, Wigan, Stafford today's scene baggage that we have over here. If we had a mixture from the beginning to now it would be a much better scene and pretty comparable to what is on offer abroad, over there it is just soul music from the last 40 plus years to choose from. Instead the majority of nights here are Wigan oldies nights and the music reflects that period, particularly in certain areas of the country.

You are bang on there mate...too much baggage, history and politics. See you in 2013.

Callum

Social source share

All though we like the same music we are obviously have different opinions on what makes a quality night listening to some of the finest music ever.

As for vest wearing DJ's I did say bit extreme, the point I was making and thinking about the thread, is that I think if more younger DJ's were behind the decks, then maybe it would inspire and give some confidence to young people to get involved both attending nights and buying OV records?

Your comment about record collections...having a good collection doesn't make you a good DJ, I would also put money on a few lads both down south and up north who could give any major collector a run for their money!

Looking forward to Middleton and I will get along to a few more nights/niters in the NW in 2013.

Callum

Few lads under the age of 25 I was meant to say...

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Few lads under the age of 25 I was meant to say...

All about opinions callum as for collections makeing djs completley agree.Haveing heard an awful lot of djs from legends [to some lol] to youngsters just starting out neither being 50 odd or 20 something guarantees anything.Haveing a good collection is a good starting point,for me to many young djs starting to soon with very small collections.Obviously could go back and forth forever,but i for one am glad to see youngsters on the scene.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Empty bottles ia a good mix....people that is ....music banging!!....my guess old and young want to party party when out.

Not sure the south has it though AT ALL when i,ve been down the 100 the music is average (not meaning to upset anyone) and the night tails off about 3ish because of it.....in short same old problem to dreary.......there deffo seems a different vibe down south they seem to like the more mid tempo/crossover type vibe....remeber well when IMOGEN MOORE came oop north once said the upbeat vibe blew her away compared to the nicey nicey type of stuff she heard down south......

Social source share

Suppose it depends where you go mate...you know me and I'm with you on the dreary stuff but whenever I go down South I always have a great night.

Pork and Beans which is ran by Tomas and Jamie (both early 20's) is quality, it has a real mix of people and sounds, only problem is it shuts quite early. Then you have Mousetrap all nighter which is small dark and the last one which I played at was still busy at 5am when I left. Thn you have Crossfire and the Brighton All-nighter, all are promoted by Rob Bailey. Don't be put off by the RnB tag, the music policy is back American sounds, sometimes some Jamaican too! I always have a good night, they have a real club atmosphere rather than a soul nighter which I personally prefer.

Callum

Social source share

Not tried either yet...are both events OVO? I've met Paul and Sam once at 7 inch soul club, both seem nice lads and very passionate about soul music.

Callum

Yes they play OVO. IMHO they are great clubs. Black Bee is more gritty whilst terrace NQ is more cafe culture. Like you say they are very passionate and you hear different sounds. well worth trying you may enjoy them
Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

Not tried either yet...are both events OVO? I've met Paul and Sam once at 7 inch soul club, both seem nice lads and very passionate about soul music.

Callum

yep these lads no their stuff,they even played a tune 2 of us hadnt heard before-otis clay 'baby jane'.quality! :thumbsup:
Social source share

Went to a venue saw a couple of birds with the full circles on they did their spinning my god ,legs looked like they had the AA road map of England printed on em , put me of my ale ill tell thee

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Geography aside, I guess the fact of the matter is, if you had to put a football team together to represent young soulies who are contributing (taking it forward for future generations in a significant way-e.g. Buying decent records, putting decent nights on) then you'd struggle to get 11 on the pitch.

Yes, a few young guys get to play rare records at the occasional big venues but that's mainly** to a 40plus age group. Plus young, Decent rare collectors are few-and-far between because knowledge isn't instantaneous and the economics.

Equally, i'm unaware of any young female DJ's and a well attended micro oldie scene in the N.west, and a mini mod scene in LDN isn't enough.

With the lack of en-mass travel (because there isn't enough of us anyway) except for the Wigan crowd, I, like Callum would rather go abroad and make a holiday out of it.

And because the numbers are not too strong, they'll need to be some unity but by the time that happens we'll all have had kids/mortgages and the topic will start again.

1 big event per city and a few select weekenders, but I suspect it'll become city based, reflecting the decline of working mans clubs and the demographic of interest.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have purposely keep out of this debate . The fact is if our music is to move on and prosper it has to have the younger generation to take it there .

My worry is that, will the younger generation of DJ'S and collectors put the hard work and effort into keeping it going for another generation , e.g , delve into the knowledge of labels , producers , writers , and then try and source new stuff to listen to . Or will they just carry on reactivated oldies with the knowledge and hard work that has been handed down to them . I sincerely hope this is not the case .

Social source share

We keep going on about young uns ,the teddy boys will have gone through the same I'm afraid.i remember my father goin on about the teds etc how cool etc. now I have two lads 23yr 21yr and I remember at their age for a start you didn't go into what your parents were into that would have been seen as naff ,no you prob did the opposite, rebel if you wanted that's what the mods punks etc did.as for my two lads they've listened to all sorts they've been to see Womack with me and Gladys knight , but that is it they won't get into collecting For a start they can't bloody well afford to ,what and save up for a house etc as well, so no I don't see that as far as collecting recs due to simple economics the younger lot won't be collecting what are generation are collecting. My two lads are musicians (bass and lead) have their own band and play a lot of indie , soul, mod, covers I've always encouraged them to follow what they like you cannot persuade them to like something because you do ,young people do not like being told leave em alone if none come through its just tough shit , I always bought records for me to listen to noone else so if the scene "dies" of (which it won't it will just shrink n shrink) ill just sit at home and listen ,don't worry about it lad , as my dad used to say, get nowt for worrying

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

i think the growth in international collecting may offset the deminishing uk collecting scene, to some extent.

Your right on that one boss 75% of my record sales are going abroad.The thing is most collectors in the U.K have been at it so long they've got most thing's they need, the youngsters who are around at the moment won't make any differance either way as even if they all collected records it wouldn't scratch the surface .It's nice to think a few youngsters have an intrest let's see in say ten years time if there still intrested.We've got a good solid 10 - 20 years ahead for all of us so in a a way the youngsters are and will remain a minority and won't have any lasting effect.Most of us will be dead or knackered by then to bother either way happy new year Simon.

Social source share

Think the difference now is that the age gap is a lot bigger than when I was say 16/17 and you saw someone a lot "older" they prob was only in their mid twenties or late twenties at most lol! Now there would be a 30YEAR gap, oh my lord !!! Lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have purposely keep out of this debate . The fact is if our music is to move on and prosper it has to have the younger generation to take it there .

My worry is that, will the younger generation of DJ'S and collectors put the hard work and effort into keeping it going for another generation , e.g , delve into the knowledge of labels , producers , writers , and then try and source new stuff to listen to . Or will they just carry on reactivated oldies with the knowledge and hard work that has been handed down to them . I sincerely hope this is not the case .

I wouldn't have thought there's a great deal left to discover and what there is to discover I would think would come via you regular sources, they have the contacts built up over decades. so hand me downs and reactivated oldies will be the staple diet, you only have to read the playlists to realise not much is unknown. But there are loads of records ignored by those interested in Wigan oldies only, plenty of records to satisfy them for years to come.

But at the end of the day they sould carry on what they are doing and ignore what anyone "advises" them to do, carry on doing their own thing.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I think Gaz in post 127 just about sums it up. All we've seen mentioned in general is three or four clubs, most in the same geographical area and that will never sustain a nationwide rare soul scene. He's also echoed something I said early on that once kids and mortgages come to the fore will they be around to carry the torch so to speak?

Social source share

1 big event per city and a few select weekenders, but I suspect it'll become city based, reflecting the decline of working mans clubs and the demographic of interest.

I always bought records for me to listen to noone else so if the scene "dies" of (which it won't it will just shrink n shrink) ill just sit at home and listen.

Loving the football analogy mate, I think we would be alright for a 6 a-side team...

It is the way forward to bring it to city centres and promoters really working hard at engaging new people into it, (great opportunity to plug the Manchester soul weekender). It takes time, effort and money but it can be done! Surely young people don't want to spend their weekends in working men's or social clubs. I'm still relatively young (26) and those type of venues bore the pants of me, that's why I tend not to bother with them anymore, there is the odd exception though, each to their own I suppose!

Maybe it's not a bad thing if it shrinks....?

Callum

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Loving the football analogy mate, I think we would be alright for a 6 a-side team...

It is the way forward to bring it to city centres and promoters really working hard at engaging new people into it, (great opportunity to plug the Manchester soul weekender). It takes time, effort and money but it can be done! Surely young people don't want to spend their weekends in working men's or social clubs. I'm still relatively young (26) and those type of venues bore the pants of me, that's why I tend not to bother with them anymore, there is the odd exception though, each to their own I suppose!

Callum

Hey Callum most of my weekends are in working mens and social clubs that's were we have our soul night's round here so we get the best of both worlds.Northern soul and bingo regards Colin Crompton (you're a bit young to remember him)

Social source share

Callum

Some of us older uns have no wish to spend their time in grotty working men's or social clubs. One reason I've stopped going to many places, many are dumps. I've no wish to sit in a shitty mucky damp club anymore.

It would be great if it shrank and was refreshed and some of the deadwood left to drift out to sea.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Some of us older uns have no wish to spend their time in grotty working men's or social clubs. One reason I've stopped going to many places, many are dumps. I've no wish to sit in a shitty mucky damp club anymore.

It would be great if it shrank and was refreshed and some of the deadwood left to drift out to sea.

Morning Chalky happy new year son I must admit I like new posh venues but I'm still very fond of the old miners welfare clubs I went to Pete Taylors do last month and looked around the old room it reminded me so much of when I was a young whipper snapper.I just think working mans clubs and especially miners welfare clubs go hand in hand with northern soul especially in the east midlands regards Simopn.

Social source share

Hey Callum most of my weekends are in working mens and social clubs that's were we have our soul night's round here so we get the best of both worlds.Northern soul and bingo regards Colin Crompton (you're a bit young to remember him)

You might be onto something there Simon...'Bingo got Soul', I was going to say you could introduce a buffet too but that probably wouldn't be necessary lol.

Callum

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

You might be onto something there Simon...'Bingo got Soul', I was going to say you could introduce a buffet too but that probably wouldn't be necessary lol.

Callum

Callum the buffet would have to have pre chewed food for us oldies we have extra problems young fella me lad.Happy new year Simon.

Social source share

It was far better before the "boom" cheaper records , better quality sounds being played ,broken , bring on the shrink wrap!!!!!

Edited by drewid
Social source share

Morning Chalky happy new year son I must admit I like new posh venues but I'm still very fond of the old miners welfare clubs I went to Pete Taylors do last month and looked around the old room it reminded me so much of when I was a young whipper snapper.I just think working mans clubs and especially miners welfare clubs go hand in hand with northern soul especially in the east midlands regards Simopn.

Morning Simon and a Happy New Year to you as well. The venue doesn't have to be posh, just a decent standard, not a grotty damp club with tears and rips in the furniture with chairs you wouldn't stand on let alone sit on. Great when you are a whipper snapper as you say when you didn't have a care in the world but me old bones these days require something a little more comfy :lol: I think the reason working mens clubs are so popular is cause they are cheap, often free as they are stood idle most of the time but the music all too often (not every-time before some jump down me throat) often reflects the club, past it.

Social source share

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It would be great if it shrank and was refreshed and some of the deadwood left to drift out to sea"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't think many would disagree with that.

Problem is they all view someone else as being the deadwood :-)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I keep reading that we need to "encourage" kids onto the scene so it can survive (strangely nobody 'encouraged' me back then - I went out and found it) yet the scene has had huge success in recent years in 'encouraging' peope to join, trouble is to get them to join (and then stay) you have to put on your typical 'Local Soul' type nite so we've just ended up going backwards.

The music was and is always going to be a sub-genre with limited mass-market appeal, try to give it more appeal and you'll just be swapping a disco full of pensioners (like we have now) for a disco full of kids.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Phil's post was great, made me wish I had it to do all over again :lol:

Young ones today are certainly more 'confident' shall we say. Again, no disrespect but like I said before you can't make people love it etc. If they do great, if not so be it. Only time will tell if they do or they don't ...

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Callum

You don't know how close to reality you are, I saw an ad on here for a nostalgia northern soul night with buffet having equal heading a few weeks back. More reason for the younger crowd to do their own thing.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

You don't know how close to reality you are, I saw an ad on here for a nostalgia northern soul night with buffet having equal heading a few weeks back. More reason for the younger crowd to do their own thing.

Damm missed it.

Social source share