Are Youngsters Coming Through?

Orotava

Hi All, I`m new to Soul Source and the last Northern Soul event I went to was Wigan`s End Of An Era. Having had nothing to do with the scene for x number of years I`ve decided to attend a Northen night next month. (They say it never leaves you).

My question really is whether enough `young blood` attend events these days to ensure the scene continues for the next few decades. Are younsters attending Allnighters and Soul nights on a regular basis and appreciate the scene and all it has to offer?

Best wishes for Christmas and everything you wish yourself for 2013.

Edited by Orotava
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest ronaldis

Yes was have a few at our events held in Telford, at the last one a young lad was celebrating his 21st and was prensently with a framed poster, this lad has been attending these events for the last 2 years, do a search for Wigan Young souls.. lots of youth.

Social source share

There are so many variables to consider when you look at 'participation'. Passively (not buying records/putting on events) then yes. But I would say in 15 years time it'll all look very different: some folk will have moved on due to age & those taking it up now in their 20's will have families and thry're priorities will change (time/finances/interests).

I also think the OVO policy will dissipate.

Social source share

Great to see that there are younger people coming into the scene....but just a question to them...do you stay local, are you prepared to travel and do you do allnighters? Really hope it's a yes to my last 2 questions.

yes they do :) ... they do it all , superb young people with a passion, finding and making the scene their own , combining the old with the new .. power to them !

pete n' susan

Social source share

I'm a youngster by standards of the average northern soulie, and I'm very active in the small scene we have going here in Copenhagen. Our nights are well-attended by a mostly younger crowd, not too many of which are dedicated soul music fans but people love the music and appreciate the sounds of rare soul. I'm pleased to be a young person actively involved in this world and am extremely passionate about it, and its nice to see that people are starting to take a bit more notice. I would love to get myself over to some proper nighters in the UK though!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest tommymac

yes there are young ones around. enough to keep it going i dont know? they will make the scene there own as we did and i personally think it will change. how many of the young ones will have the disposable income to buy the £1000 + records and dj with them. and thats if you can find a collector who is willing to part with them.

Social source share

We have been here many times..

Can the topic starter tell us what they mean by young please....

I take it you mean teens, just like many of us were getting into this scene...

I would say with the average age of punters around mid 40s then i would say 16 to 25 is young...

Hell, i have been called a "young" the odd time too :lol: :lol:

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Most youngsters that are around do not travel, that is a fact. The youngsters are in the main in large cities with say a university, Manchester, London. They tend to stay local and certainly don't go to all-nighters in number large enough to keep the all-nighter scene going. I doubt these youngsters will support their own local scene when they grow up a bit and work, mortgage and family pressures come to the fore.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I would say with the average age of punters around mid 40s then i would say 16 to 25 is young...

Social source share

Wake up - it already has, a few on here can witness that in the mid to late eighties - northern soul was dead, people holding onto a lost past culture who sit comfortably and believe they are part of this misrepresented and divided establishment still today.

It's thanks to the older one's who during this period of struggled - kept it loop warm. Where were the young un's during the late eighties during the winters at the 100 club, when there was more staff than punters - true ?

Did not a recent poll on here clearly indicate that we are a dying breed, backed up with Joan and Karl's posts. Our replacements are very rare, which put's a hole new slant on the term "rare soul" !

:)

I was one of those that kept it warm too .. though like many , it became more a once or twice a month venture than three times a week .. familys and mortgages and life took over for a while ... it was just a lull ... some came into the scene as "quadrophenia" brought in a new younger crowd at the time .. from which also the current "mod" and scooter scene became stronger too .. the younger crowd is very welcome as far as I am concerned , they mix well, have more far , far more knowledge than people credit them for , as i said , power to them .

off to leeds central now .. have a nice day people :)

pete n' susan

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Apologies if this topic has been done before - as I said I`ve just discovered Soul Source. Yes I was referring to teenagers which was when I got caught up in Northern Soul. I was just curious whether folks thought there was enough young blood to keep the scene going, oh and when my record collection drops in value!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm young, I run a scooter club for 16-25s (Young Guns SC) 300+ members on the forums, not all active granted but this is just the portion who could be bothered to join up. Shows that there is decent numbers involved in the scooter scene. My experience is most, but all young ones on the scooter scene love Northern Soul. Theh there's the young ones on northern scene itself and the mod scene. The scene never going to be massive like it was in its hay day, but will plod along.

Social source share

Most definitely yes we tend to forget that when we were young we didn't take it seriously and never gave it much thought that we would be still be sharing our love for soul music in 2013 , so why should we burden/question anyone about a future commitment of their time in the next 30 years , let them evolve as we did. There is most certainly an appreciation and a passion for those sounds by the young people I have seen in Manchester :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi All, I`m new to Soul Source and the last Northern Soul event I went to was Wigan`s End Of An Era. Having had nothing to do with the scene for x number of years I`ve decided to attend a Northen night next month. (They say it never leaves you).

My question really is whether enough `young blood` attend events these days to ensure the scene continues for the next few decades. Are younsters attending Allnighters and Soul nights on a regular basis and appreciate the scene and all it has to offer?

Best wishes for Christmas and everything you wish yourself for 2013.

if you hav'nt been to an event for 31 years why are you worried about it ?
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Plenty going on in Europe with the young un's or is it only this country that's aloud to keep it going?I think it will go back to the early days of the scene with small venues & few handfuls of devotees keeping it alive,don't see anything wrong with that as few with passion is far better then hundreds without it.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not being funny and no disrespect to anyone whatever age they may be but no one gave a fig when we were the young uns! Did they care that we were the 'future'? Did they heck! :lol:

I'm all for anyone getting into it but you can't make people love it can you? I think people have it easier than ever these days (not saying that's a bad thing, just saying that's all). When I started going to nighters the older ones went out of their way to make it as hard as possible. Wouldn't have had it any other way mind (what does that say about me?) :D

Have to agree Joan, had to work hard at it back in the 80's without the internet and countless guides telling you what to do. Now everyone simply wants to be told everything or google it. Like you I wouldn't have had it any other way, loved every minute.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

it was just a lull ... some came into the scene as "quadrophenia" brought in a new younger crowd at the time ..

pete n' susan

That was 1979 - yes all who's passed through of our scene had thankfully gone by 1981. And those army and navy supplies parka's !

Posted in the events thread about today's Central event, as you have listed all the posts as "liked" but mine Casper, will I get a honest or misjudged reply.

Thanks.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The up & coming Elaine Constantine movie could have big implications for the scene regarding young people, much in the same way The Who's Quadrophenia had on the Mod revival scene of the early 80's.

Aid.

I'm not so sure it will have much an impact. Likely spur young ones on the scene on, and maybe introduce a few to the scene. But the worlds a different place than it was in 79.

Social source share

Have to agree Joan, had to work hard at it back in the 80's without the internet and countless guides telling you what to do. Now everyone simply wants to be told everything or google it. Like you I wouldn't have had it any other way, loved every minute.

Chalks

So you wouldn't have used the internet?

Did the old boys start saying the scene was dead when American imports flooded the scene..........did the old boys start saying the scene was dead when 70t's started been played..........well yes they did but as we well know it's still here today.I just seem to get the feeling it's got to be the same as we had it or in some way it'll be a lesser scene...........I hope the youngsters do make it there own & they get as much enjoyment out out it I have.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Chalks

Did the old boys start saying the scene was dead when American imports flooded the scene..........did the old boys start saying the scene was dead when 70t's started been played..........well yes they did but as we well know it's still here today.I just seem to get the feeling it's got to be the same as we had it or in some way it'll be a lesser scene...........I hope the youngsters do make it there own & they get as much enjoyment out out it I have.

Cheers

Martyn

I'm saying I loved learning what I know the hard way, going through countless records at all-nighters every weekend. You hardly see a youngster in the record bars these days. I'm saying youngsters don't travel to all-nighters to hear the records they can't hear at home, that is a fact.

I hope they get the enjoyment out of it as you and I have but as I said once outside pressures come to the fore I doubt they will be about, thats not a criticism of the youngsters just how I see it. I hope they do stick around, I hope they do come into all-nighters and help continue this wonderful dance/music scene for another 40 years but I can't see it lasting a quarter of that to be honest.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalks

Cheers

Martyn

Spot on there Martyn.Seem to me that there are two types of youngsters around at the moment.Some that just seem to be copying their Parents and adopting their interpretation of what the scene was back in the 70s.Many of these will drift away.Then there are lots of younguns who are very clued up and want to do things properly while adopting their own identity and culture and look. These will be the long stayers.Seems to me that the guys that run the BLACK BEE club are on the right track.They seem to have the passion and from the wants posted are searching out original vinyl.So if the scene shrinks back underground im sure there are guys out there that will keep things alive in their own way.But whatever happens we have had our time and lots of it,give the younguns encouragement advice and let em enjoy it as we have.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Up here in the nw there is quite a healthy influx of youngsters probably a lot more than any other region.I see this as a good thing but i seriously doubt many of them will still be around in 5 years time.Life changes dramaticaly bettween the ages of 16 to say 24 i know mine did.My only concern over the youngster in this area is the retro clothing,who in there right mind would want to dress in one of the worst fashion fads of all time :wicked: .

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Not being funny and no disrespect to anyone whatever age they may be but no one gave a fig when we were the young uns! Did they care that we were the 'future'? Did they heck! :lol:

I'm all for anyone getting into it but you can't make people love it can you? I think people have it easier than ever these days (not saying that's a bad thing, just saying that's all). When I started going to nighters the older ones went out of their way to make it as hard as possible. Wouldn't have had it any other way mind (what does that say about me?) :D

Absolutely true Joan, you really did need to have an apprenticeship on the scene before you became accepted.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

That was 1979 - yes all who's passed through of our scene had thankfully gone by 1981. And those army and navy supplies parka's !

Posted in the events thread about today's Central event, as you have listed all the posts as "liked" but mine Casper, will I get a honest or misjudged reply.

Thanks.

Can't and never will understand the obsession with the term "The Scene" - what scene. Throughout the history of the appreciation of black american music there have always been a number of "sceneS" who has the divine right to determine what and who comprises such a fabled ivory tower. Long gone are the days of the homogenous mass movement of the Northern Soul - that some are desperate to preserve - just as are the days of belonging to one or other youth cult en masse.

I have my preferences I will happily evangelise, but that's what they are, mine and not something to force down people's throat. That said, I welcome the freedom for anybody to partake, contribute and most of all enjoy the many aspects of the music regardless of age, dress sense, level of knowledge, tenure, ov etc If it's a wigan revival, mixed sets, young, older whatever..

Finally, we have to remember everybody starts at the beginning and most of the fun is in the journey imho as Flanny points out in his post signature "JUST BECAUSE EVERTHINGS DIFFERENT DOESNT MEAN ANYHING HAS CHANGED" :shades:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know youngsters who are seriously into collecting but they don't travel much further than their own area and don't do all-nighters.

Got to agree can't see the fascination of dressing like some do....I think the clothing and retro aspect of the scene does more to put youngsters off than encourage.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm saying I loved learning what I know the hard way, going through countless records at all-nighters every weekend. You hardly see a youngster in the record bars these days. I'm saying youngsters don't travel to all-nighters to hear the records they can't hear at home, that is a fact.

I hope they get the enjoyment out of it as you and I have but as I said once outside pressures come to the fore I doubt they will be about, thats not a criticism of the youngsters just how I see it. I hope they do stick around, I hope they do come into all-nighters and help continue this wonderful dance/music scene for another 40 years but I can't see it lasting a quarter of that to be honest.

As I said in my first post I can't see the scene been as large as it is now or has been but I believe it will survive on a smaller scale with a passionate few......maybe it'll have to go full circle & start again from the grass roots up?I'm old fashioned with my views that the nighters are the pinnacle of the scene but that doesn't mean the younger crowd will see it the same way.They might want to keep it going with weekenders,with soul night's,on Sunday afternoons.........if that's the case fine by me.However they keep the scene going is irrelevant to me (I'll probably be long gone :( )the important thing for me is they get that feeling & passion for the best music ever produced.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spot on there Martyn.Seem to me that there are two types of youngsters around at the moment.Some that just seem to be copying their Parents and adopting their interpretation of what the scene was back in the 70s.Many of these will drift away.Then there are lots of younguns who are very clued up and want to do things properly while adopting their own identity and culture and look. These will be the long stayers.Seems to me that the guys that run the BLACK BEE club are on the right track.They seem to have the passion and from the wants posted are searching out original vinyl.So if the scene shrinks back underground im sure there are guys out there that will keep things alive in their own way.But whatever happens we have had our time and lots of it,give the younguns encouragement advice and let em enjoy it as we have.

Patto

They are lucky to have all the information around them but that still doesn't make them buy the right records,it doesn't make them be able to construct & exciting well balanced set,that comes with hard work,passion & commitment to the records they love & want to play.

Black Bee has just gone on the must visit list............to add to your list to see the same thing in action should be Empty Bottles & Driving Beats both in Leeds.Run by young lads & lasses who just want to have fun.........wasn't it great when it was just that easy :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know youngsters who are seriously into collecting but they don't travel much further than their own area and don't do all-nighters.

Got to agree can't see the fascination of dressing like some do....I think the clothing and retro aspect of the scene does more to put youngsters off than encourage.

have to agree the baggies & beer towels need binning :yes: , but its not just the young 'uns wearing them. good to see the young lads n lassies on the scene they seem to ooze enthusiasm from what ive seen :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the fancy dress is hideous & doubly so on the youngsters,so I asked one of them about wearing it & he told me it made him stand out from his peers & made him different from the crowd...........emmmm I do believe that was one of the major reasons I wore it.Yes it became mainstream but so did punk.Doesn't stop me hating the fashion but it's tempered my view a little for youngsters as they don't know any better?

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Wake up - it already has, a few on here can witness that in the mid to late eighties - northern soul was dead, people holding onto a lost past culture who sit comfortably and believe they are part of this misrepresented and divided establishment still today.

It's thanks to the older one's who during this period of struggled - kept it loop warm. Where were the young un's during the late eighties during the winters at the 100 club, when there was more staff than punters - true ?

Did not a recent poll on here clearly indicate that we are a dying breed, backed up with Joan and Karl's posts. Our replacements are very rare, which put's a hole new slant on the term "rare soul" !

:)

In the '80's Northern Soul wasn't dead, it was in hiding. Surfaced occasionally until the time was right. Some of us 'Kept The Faith', for want of a better phrase and now we are reaping the fruits of our labour. Granted, the fruit is on the lower branches and tastes a little sour but at least its bearing.

'Young Souls' ?? Yes there are some around but obviously not in the numbers we had or to sustain a Nationwide thriving scene ( IMHO ) but they are there and should be encouraged. We also shouldn't pander to their whims, they are the appretices and we should pass on the skills and knowledge we have accumulated over the past 40 odd years. If they want to branch off and create a neo-soul scene then that is their perogative. We should carry on as we always have and if she dies with us then so be it. We don't have to create a legacy, no one did for us, we created our own future.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Didn't you start the thread ?

Social source share

I respect very much those among us that have put the time in and discovered many sounds today that were missed back then , but you know we can get up our own backsides at times. Why can't you just be pleased that there is an interest and encourage that interest instead of nit picking about efforts made and not made to abide by your standards and rules .

I am sorry but a few of you come over like the grumpy old men in the balcony :lol: and its not like that for young people , its about having the TIME OF THEIR LIVES ...just like you did .

We are grumpy old men Carms :lol: It's like being sat in the pub on a Sunday dinner putting the world to rights :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

In the '80's Northern Soul wasn't dead, it was in hiding.

Looked all over, under the stairs, top of the cupboards, even turned out norman soul trouser's big turn up's - not there. Tezza seem's you were hiding it all along :lol: .

Nobber !

:D

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Looked all over, under the stairs, top of the cupboards, even turned out norman soul trouser's big turn up's - not there. Tezza seem you were hiding it all along :lol: .

Nobber !

:D

That should say Knobber surely.

Of course, just becauce you were 'too blind to see' it obviously wasn't there. Should have tried looking At The Top Of The Stairs or perhaps inside yourself

I was in essence agreeing with you but again there appears to be something wrong in the Opthalmic area.

Personal insults on SS - what is the world coming too ??

All the best - Nobber XXX

Social source share