Sam & Kitty-I've Got Something Good

Kev John

Got this record years ago

I'ts an off White label with 2 lined logo Vinyl moulded over label,label has a grainy texture look to it

To me it looks circa 6ts

Matrix read left to right with Four Brothers @ 6pm 4 - BROS - 10467 - 1 all etched in the 4 is @ about 8pm

There is no sound distortion when the disc is played loud

as it is a local label i woud'nt have thought Atlantic would be involved in distribution on the 1st press

Hope this is helpful

Kev :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Got this record years ago

I'ts an off White label with 2 lined logo Vinyl moulded over label,label has a grainy texture look to it

To me it looks circa 6ts

Matrix read left to right with Four Brothers @ 6pm 4 - BROS - 10467 - 1 all etched in the 4 is @ about 8pm

There is no sound distortion when the disc is played loud

as it is a local label i woud'nt have thought Atlantic would be involved in distribution on the 1st press

Hope this is helpful

Kev :hatsoff2:

One can't make that assumption. What happens with national distribution depends upon the individual deal made between the local label and the distributor. As far as I remember, EVERY Four Brothers single that was released during the time they were distributed by Atlantic was picked up by Atlantic. If they made that deal BEFORE that particular Sam and Kitty record was released, then, there would be no local, Chicago, non-Atlantic pressing, unless Four Brothers made a deal to have their own local distribution (which, I don't believe occurred). That type of deal DID happen, when Berry Gordy leased Tamla 101 and 102 to United Artists, and 54027 ("Money" (That's What I Want") to Anna Records and their distributor (Chess Record Corp.). Sometimes, distributors working with local labels make a deal in which they have refusal rights to decide to NOT pick up certain releases from the local label. In those cases, the local label may have several releases pressed up and distributed by the national label or distributor, and random releases in between being pressed up by the local label on their previous logo design. That happened with Nathanial Mayer and The Twilights' releases on Fortune Records released on UA pressings with a UA number series and different label design, and other Fortune Records in between being released on the old, traditional Fortune Records label design.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One can't make that assumption. What happens with national distribution depends upon the individual deal made between the local label and the distributor. As far as I remember, EVERY Four Brothers single that was released during the time they were distributed by Atlantic was picked up by Atlantic. If they made that deal BEFORE that particular Sam and Kitty record was released, then, there would be no local, Chicago, non-Atlantic pressing, unless Four Brothers made a deal to have their own local distribution (which, I don't believe occurred). That type of deal DID happen, when Berry Gordy leased Tamla 101 and 102 to United Artists, and 54027 ("Money" (That's What I Want") to Anna Records and their distributor (Chess Record Corp.). Sometimes, distributors working with local labels make a deal in which they have refusal rights to decide to NOT pick up certain releases from the local label. In those cases, the local label may have several releases pressed up and distributed by the national label or distributor, and random releases in between being pressed up by the local label on their previous logo design. That happened with Nathanial Mayer and The Twilights' releases on Fortune Records released on UA pressings with a UA number series and different label design, and other Fortune Records in between being released on the old, traditional Fortune Records label design.

Excellent informative information.

Social source share

Hi guy's understand what has been said

have looked @ the scans thanks Chalky & ROB

There is no AT or W in the deadwax on my disc

But i would like to ask 2 more question about this and that is

On my white Demo Four Brothers on 2 lines

Love is the Greatest Matrix 4BROS -10466 - 1 Note there is no space between 4 & bros & also is there any more matrix marks in this deadwax ?

The BROS letters are etched in capital formate

Could someone clarify if this is like on Orig's or the counterfeits or different to both ?

Only interested in record without Atco Distrbution on label

thanks Kev in advance

Edited by soulghost
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi guy's understand what has been said

have looked @ the scans thanks Chalky & ROB

There is no AT or W in the deadwax on my disc

But i would like to ask 2 more question about this and that is

On my white Demo Four Brothers on 2 lines

Love is the Greatest Matrix 4BROS -10466 - 1 Note there is no space between 4 & bros & also is there any more matrix marks in this deadwax ?

The BROS letters are etched in capital formate

Could someone clarify if this is like on Orig's or the counterfeits or different to both ?

Only interested in record without Atco Distrbution on label

thanks Kev in advance

Are boots only in white ?

Social source share

As far as I am aware ATCO distributed all three original label variations.

If it was a local release before Atco I would have thought it would be on the standard Green and White Four Brothers label.(Don't think this exits for Sam & Kitty)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

It was booted as far as I,m aware on a yellow 4 brothers but without the licensed to atco distribution on the label

Steve

Here's 2 I know that these 2 are boots, the yellow on styrene (our old chums down at Monarch;-) and the white "demo" on vinyl.

post-4408-0-02493400-1414609888_thumb.jppost-4408-0-41384700-1414609903_thumb.jp

This is an original

post-4408-0-29981700-1414609931_thumb.jp

Social source share

Here's 2 I know that these 2 are boots, the yellow on styrene (our old chums down at Monarch;-) and the white "demo" on vinyl.

attachicon.gifsam kitty bootleg1.jpgattachicon.gifSAM AND KITTY2.jpg

This is an original

attachicon.gifSam Kitty Original.JPG

There is a vinyl original with Four Brothers written on two lines, but it is distributed by ATCO.

The west coast original is styrene with Four Brothers written on two lines. (This is the one John Manship had on auction recently in demo format.)

Then like you say and picture, there is the vinyl original with Four brothers written on one line.

Social source share

There is a vinyl original with Four Brothers written on two lines, but it is distributed by ATCO.

The west coast original is styrene with Four Brothers written on two lines. (This is the one John Manship had on auction recently in demo format.)

Then like you say and picture, there is the vinyl original with Four brothers written on one line.

I have see a photo of a yellow issue with no ATCO reference, I have to assume that's also a boot ?

Social source share

post-9294-0-84651500-1414612642_thumb.jppost-9294-0-69069500-1414612654_thumb.jp

I have see a photo of a yellow issue with no ATCO reference, I have to assume that's also a boot ?

This is an original. It has AT and W scratched in on opposite sides of run-out groove like most Atco releases.

It has exactly the same run-out lettering and groove spacing as the other Atco distributed Four Brothers that is written on one line. I have both designs and apart from the labels they are exactly the same.

(If you click on the "Love Is The Greatest" picture you can see the markings. AT on the left and W on the right)

I have Tyrone Davis "You Made Me Suffer" on this design as well.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!